Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

BD Facotr, the greatest Touring Boot Ever

OK,
    I was invited to test this boot last winter up at highlands. I was very hesitant. Every touring boot i had or skied was terrible. Too soft, non responsive for someone my size and abitlity level (200lbs). I did not go because it was about 20 below and did not feel like suffering in another poor excuse for a boot.

How wrong I was. I just got out of a shop and tried on the finished product. This is a touring boot that feels and I know will ski like a ski boot. A great anotomic fit, unbelievalbe walk mode and it has the lateral and for aft support of a normal boot.

It seems like the guys at BD have revolutionized off piste boots. Nice job, i will be enjoying these all winter.

Good to hear.....

Man, I might have to pull the trigger on a pair before spring.

So wait???

You passed up on trying them on the snow, and just tried them in the shop??? I'm confused...

I am very interested in this boot. I'm crossing my fingers that they aren't too thin for my fat feet, and that they have no fatal flaws that will be revealed by heavy use. I'm anxiously awaiting the first reviews, and looking for a place to try them on locally.

No dyanfit = no purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What foot shape do BD boots fit

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    No dyanfit = no purchase
    You know you can get the AT sole that is dynafit compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    No dyanfit = no purchase
    actualy if you do go poking around in "details" of the boot on their web site they show a convertible dynafit toe block but they call it something else ... dynafit is not actualy mentioned

edit:it looks like they call em TECH INSERTS ... I guess they don't want to mention the competition or what?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.

seems like a money grab to me, the dynafit sole is also the lug sole, so if you want to scramble in them you have to buy the dynafit sole..for that price they should include both soles. The problem is that as soon as I try them on I will be getting a pair and will shell out the extra $$ for both soles......hmm guess they are smarted then me.
    live in a van! That way the snow is always knee deep and fresh at home.

yeah charging extra just seems cheap ,they should have just rolled it all in to one price and we wouldnt be complaining

garmont thro's in the extra soles for the endorphins ...they even give ya a little stuff sack to put them in

I think everything about them seems bad ass and I would love a pair. However, I cannot bring myself to buy anything when its on its first year. I'm gonna let people use em and break em so that BD can make the improvements that will most certainly need to be made in the next couple of years. By then my Megarides should be shot and then I'll buy them.

yup i bought last year so I got other boots to break first

Not cheap either...

yes the dynafit soles are extra,I thing $40, . If you are not using dynafits bindings the din sole would still work in a touring binding. And yes i passed up a chance to test them in Jan and then just tried them on and spent about 20 minutes in them
    They have a fairly forgiving last, looks like a 102mm up front with a nicely tapered heal. Sole length runs long, 275 is a 318 mm sole length (my dobi 150 wc is a 315mm). The 28.5 is a 325mm (maybe a 328 i cant remember the exact sole length). SO they run long.
    Yes it is pricey, but what isn't now adays.
    And yes, it is a first year run, but the only issues I can foresee is walk mode issue, and if there was a problem, it would be a warranty issue.
    I will say this, I worked in the boot industry for 18years, managed the surefoot in aspen and snowmass, was a buyer at gorsch, am a certified pedorthist , tech editor for Ski Magazine boot test for three years and tested skis and boots for both ski and skiing for over 9 years.
    This is the most exciting boot innovation that i have ever seen. A boot that fits great, not like a hybrid or mid entry boot, but the real deal ski boot and can be used for touring and scrambling off piste.
    I have just always been disappointed with touring boots (including the endorphin). The Factor is phenomenal.

If you're not a 200 pounder/don't need 130 flex boots, you can just get the method, which comes standard with the dynafit soles. I tried on a pair of methods when I was getting the liners baked for my scarpas earlier in the week.

I bought the scarpas and a pair of langes last year and am just about ready to ditch both (the scarpas have 1 day on them) in favor of a pair of methods. The fit was excellent right out of the box, and with a fully moldable liner a la intuition, will only get better after baking.

Saw these last spring in an imaging demo from the vendor that did the 360 renders for BD's web site and nearly pissed myself. Just hoping they don't fit fat, wide paws like mine so I don't feel nauseous...

102mm forefoot is fairly wide so you are going to be psyched.

Revolutionized off-piste boots? Hmmm.

I'm not a pedothologist or a buyer or a licensed anything. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, however.

It seems like a nice boot. I agree that having to pay extra for the Dynafit sole is ridiculous, particularly for those of us who don't need or want the other sole. I tried them and the Scarpa Skookums and the Dynafit Zzeus. The ZZeus seemed like the nicest boot of the bunch but they all seemed fine. Everyone seems to be fluffing a particular boot but nobody seems to have actually skied them, with a couple of exceptions.

All a store fitting is good for (IMO) is DQ-ing a boot. Otherwise I guess we'll find out after the snow flies.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    All a store fitting is good for (IMO) is DQ-ing a boot. Otherwise I guess we'll find out after the snow flies.
    i hear you, but having been in numerous boots over a long period of time, i have always felt that touring boots always had an unnatural flex pattern and where super soft with fit issues. I was always skeptical of the "latest innovations" from bc boots.
    I felt none of that with this boot. Yes, when it comes down to it we will see when the snow flies. Pretty confident this boot will prove itself.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    OK,
    I was invited to test this boot last winter up at highlands. I was very hesitant. Every touring boot i had or skied was terrible. Too soft, non responsive for someone my size and abitlity level (200lbs). I did not go because it was about 20 below and did not feel like suffering in another poor excuse for a boot.

How wrong I was. I just got out of a shop and tried on the finished product. This is a touring boot that feels and I know will ski like a ski boot. A great anotomic fit, unbelievalbe walk mode and it has the lateral and for aft support of a normal boot.

It seems like the guys at BD have revolutionized off piste boots. Nice job, i will be enjoying these all winter.
    Hello,
    53 years young, 115 kgs, 1,85 m, large feet, skiing since 1958... mountaineering since 1999, searching for wide and beefy boots. Today skiing with Endorphin, but wanting to take Dynafit bindings (and BD lover ;-))) Do you think these Factors would fit to my profile ?
    Best regards and good slopes.
    Marion.

Quote Originally Posted by merak View Post
    Hello,
    53 years young, 115 kgs, 1,85 m, large feet, skiing since 1958... mountaineering since 1999, searching for wide and beefy boots. Today skiing with Endorphin, but wanting to take Dynafit bindings (and BD lover ;-))) Do you think these Factors would fit to my profile ?
    Best regards and good slopes.
    Marion.
    I do, i have a size 12 (eu46) and ski in a 275. Super wide and rigid forefoot. This boot fit is a sweeeet feet, Obivously you would need to try it on.
    good luck

So are you offering a money back guarantee if it turns out not to be the greatest touring boot ever?? Do you(or anyone) know if the Method has the same last profile? I'm tired of swimming around in my Scarpas and need something for my skinny ass feet.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    skideeppow -

i know you have a similar background to me (ski academy racing etc.).... it sounds like *you* feel the Factor *could* be an every day boot.... replacing your normal alpine boot [Nordica Doberman] and whatever touring boot you have?!?! just curious on your thoughts on that.... especially with your boot fitting background and knowledge.

i mostly tele these days (and am looking to get the BD Custom).... but i am also looking to replace a pair of Lange Freeride 120s from a couple of seasons ago. i was planning on just picking up a pair of the latest Lange plug racing boot -or- the next step down in softness.... but i am tempted by the Factor, especially since i could then get rid of a pair of MegaRides in the process. trying to simplify the boot quiver.

anyhoo... any further thoughts on the Factor vs stiff alpine boots would be appreciated.

PS. i TOO passed up the opportunity to test the boots for some magazine tests this past Spring. kinda wish i hadn't but my schedule was too crazy at the time .
    I just ordered a new apir of 150 bodi's, obviously this is a tough boot to replicate. I have a pair of 130 dobi's that i put a vibrahm on, great idea but no walk mode kills me when I am out touring.
    I think that i could use this factor on piste for about 75% of the time. Obviously sparking turns at high speed, or some real hard charging days I would want my dobi. Nothing will replace a WC plug boot, so dont think this one will. BUt unlike most touring boots i have tried in the past, this one actually feels like a ski boot. Probably the closest thing to a one boot quiver you can come, but will not perfrom like a plug

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    So are you offering a money back guarantee if it turns out not to be the greatest touring boot ever?? Do you(or anyone) know if the Method has the same last profile? I'm tired of swimming around in my Scarpas and need something for my skinny ass feet.
    all these boots come out of the same mold so your skiiny foot will probably swim. THis is a foregiving last, the factor has a nice liner than the method, making it in essence a tighter fit but in the end, it will pack out to the last of the boot.
    no money back guarntee, sorry just my opinion,

this does make a great coaching boot, comfy and with the walk mode when drilling gates in and siting on coaches knoll, it makes life a little more comfortable.