Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Huge shout out to Nordekette for the info. We ended up choosing Amsterdam for work/visa/family reasons (gf is preggo and Dutch maternity care system is great - education too if we stay long term). Hopefully we get a few trips in this season before the baby comes, and more next year. That night train will be a life saver.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Last edited by nordekette; 09-29-2021 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I haven't ever lived in Milan, but I love Northern Italy. I've only been in Milan a few times to fly in/visit family, but it seemed ok, if not amazing. I would choose it over Amsterdam just for how much I love the Sud Tirol. I can't imagine too many places that I'd rather live to hike/bike/ski/even sail. At some point, I might try to live in/near Verona/Trento for a while. Too far to commute from Milan, but if you are getting paid well to make this move, you could get a little place up in the mountains to escape the city.
    Milan would be pretty awesome. Comfortable high speed train all the way to Venice with a lot in between. Classic train station for that. If Covid hasn't fucked up the car rental business over there, I'd rent a car for skiing, especially the Dolomites. Or consider buying one and selling it when you leave, if parking is somewhat convenient. There are businesses set up for that, only read a little about them, obviously cater to the longer term visitor like yourself. Maybe negotiate that with your employer.

Try to read a few books by Tim Parks before you go. Especially https://www.google.com/search?client...h=660&dpr=2.63 which is all about riding trains in Italy. He lived just outside Verona and commuted to Milan by train. This is not that unusual in Italy, according to him. Many people get good jobs somewhat far from their birthplace and commute. Italians are very attached to family. He was/is a professor in Milan, ex pat Brit. Read his other books, too, like Italian Neighbors. You'll learn a lot about contemporary Italian day to day life.

Milan is the closest thing to NYC I experienced in Italy. Fast paced (for Italy), and very cool and hip on the street. So definitely plan on touring around to other places, and the train makes that so easy. Most trains accommodate bicycles, so consider that. Man, you can be up around Lake Como in a half hour, just to start.

Damn. Nightjet 421 from Amsterdam Central to Innsbruck Hbf looks like the ticket.

The hot ticket indeed! Tall, Blonde Dutch women and a overnight ski train, it’s a 80s comedy!

i could not find this video the other day

why nordkette has such a bad reputation
    the fight for the first gondola is really bad.
    skipatrol starts blasting at around 08:30 am so they open earlierst around 10:15 am by this time
    even an hangover guy got waken up be the bombs and found his way to the basestation
    the south face is tracked out by noon
    or in after mid february the sun did the other part of the job.

the terrain is good the innsbruck crowd not.
    Last edited by nordekette; 09-29-2021 at 05:08 AM.

So, the clutch move is hopping the wall…. got it.

actually reading through this thread some. You should be aware there are whole (cpa) practice areas centered on moving people between countries, tax equalization, cost of living, etc. These are, at a minimum, large regional firms with strong correspondence relationships but it's dominated by the big 4. Maybe throw in some BDO/GT. I.E. VERY expensive stuff, and that's just the consulting. if the company you work for is serious and committed you should already have met some of these professionals. If not there is a LOT of risk here.

A very, very long time ago I worked in this area for a year for one of those firms, clients were big telecom. What I heard a lot, once you got past the numbers, it can get VERY lonley when your technical and not sales, stuck somewhere with limited language skills, a long way from family and what's familar. It was amazing though. You'd take some then $120k network engineer move him to tokyo and boom. He's making 500k livin in 400 sq ft paper thin walls etc. And. Like. They'd have a different word for everything.

It'd be good to get a check in from CO, see what his experience has been. cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    So, the clutch move is hopping the wall…. got it.
    indeed or you let all the lunatics run and drop in on each other : ) and ski a different line

thats the brother of the snowboarder !!!for real!!!

edit: the stanton in title is just a joke ; ) same as the date

st anton at its best
    yes and i am skiing : )

Shit that looks fun.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.