Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ^^^ Agreed that a Stumpy / Stumpy Evo is a good bet. Between the regular or the Evo, I think it's mostly personal preference. That said, some beginner / intermediate riders might struggle a bit with the Evo on descents. It's more bike, and it's more stable at speed, but that also means it takes a little more effort to muscle it around at slower speeds (and beginner / intermediate riders are generally riding slower). My experience has been that less experienced female riders generally have a better time on more maneuverable bikes rather than more stable bikes. They feel like they can make the bike do what they want it to rather than fighting against the bike's inclination to go fast and straight.

Of course, that all varies from person to person. H(er)MMV

We got AC the EVO Comp last year. Still running the stock build except we swapped the 36 Rhythm for a Mezzer. She's a good rider but not super aggressive and never gets air. She's never felt like it's too much bike, up or down. We're about the same height so I rode it a few times and concurred. It has a lot of travel but it's not a sled, I found it to be surprisingly nimble. If you're going to be riding the Pass and JH/Targhee regularly I think the EVO is the call. If nothing else you'll want a reservoir shock for those long descents. I'd only get the regular Stumpy if she'll prioritize uphill performance above all else.

Couldn't you just run the EVO in the steep position to give it geo more similar to the regular, but get a better fork and shock, with the option to make it slacker at the bike park?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Sweet^

Oh, and we happen to have a few LBS in the area that are Spec dealers with these bikes in stock NOW which does play into this a bit.
    This should go at the beginning.
    I don't have arguments against any of your assumptions.
    I'm sure will chime in with everything that's available that fits your criteria but the evo looks like a great bike...
    a great bike that gives me a headache at the number things you can change.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yep, for the type of rider and terrain out there, Stumpy and Evo are both going to be good choices. Evo will be more capable on the down, regular will be a bit of a better climber. I have a regular stumpy and never feel like I compromised at all, but could have easily gone evo if that was stocked first without blinking. I don't really jump off of things often though, so the extra capability would have been lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It's here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Are you going to stick with the zeb? I'm excited to try out the zeb on my new bike but it will be a while

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Are you going to stick with the zeb? I'm excited to try out the zeb on my new bike but it will be a while

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Low quality living room pic. I plan to at least try the Zeb. It's the Select with the regular RC damper. If anything I will probably swap out for the top of the line damper at some point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220112_141216.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	507.7 KB 
ID:	400854
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220112_141216.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	509.4 KB 
ID:	400852  

You rear wheel is painful to look at with that 3mm offset, correct your dish already man!!

"Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    You rear wheel is painful to look at with that 3mm offset, correct your dish already man!!

He did already!

But he only eyeballed it, so probably still out 0.5mm. Hack!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    He did already!

But he only eyeballed it, so probably still out 0.5mm. Hack!
    Great, I bet the spokes are all wound up now and ready to DETONATE the second the wheels hit the dirt.
    UR GUNNA DIE!

(see the other thread for context)
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Hey, he’ll be able to make sharper right hand turns than left hand turns!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hey, he’ll be able to make sharper right hand turns than left hand turns!
    Hey, not everyone can be an ambiturner.

I need all the help I can get. Left hand turns are way better for me on bikes and skis. Never figured out why. #NASCAR

Are you right handed?
    it’s the downhill dominate side of a left turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Are you right handed?
    it’s the downhill dominate side of a left turn.
    Yep.

That is so weird. Im right handed, left footed, and from when i was even just a kid riding a boogie board i could turn right way better. Same goes now for surfing, snowboarding and mountain biking. I've always wondered why. (epic thread drift)

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    That is so weird. Im right handed, left footed, and from when i was even just a kid riding a boogie board i could turn right way better. Same goes now for surfing, snowboarding and mountain biking. I've always wondered why. (epic thread drift)
    If you're left footed, does that mean you ride left foot back / right foot forward?

I think it's easier to snap out of a turn that's the opposite direction of your rear foot. So left foot back makes right turns easier.

Left handed, left footed, ride right foot forward. Right turns mo betta ski and bike.

Anyway, I need to replace a bike that melted in a fire. Available (now) bikes that are in budget and in the travel range I'm looking for are Stumpy Evo Comp, GG Smash (build tbd), or AL Spire (XT). Sentinel is more inline with the other two, but Spire is in the running because it can be had at a discount now, and from what I've read it doesn't ride that differently than a Sentinel. Sentinel is riskiest proposition because I'd have to snipe one when they become available.

Bike I'm replacing is a very tired 2017 Patrol. Was happy with that bike, only gripe being it felt a bit short at 6'1" on a size L. Locally I ride Left Hand, White Ranch, and Hall most often (in that order). When snow melts up high I like longer alpine rides. Desert trips a few times per season and a PNW trip every other. I don't nerd out on mtbs like I do on skis. What bike?
    Last edited by North; 01-18-2022 at 06:14 PM.

If those are the three bikes you're looking at, then I'd definitely go with the Smash... mostly because it's not a Specialized. And considering the recent devastation and what you've been through, I wouldn't be surprised if GG didn't hook you up a little bit if you let them know what happened. They're awesome people, and having support 30 minutes down the road should play a big factor in a new bike decision.

The Smash is the perfect bike for the FR: I ride all the same trails as you (plus a few more, hit me up in the spring) and know them like the back of my hand. The Smash climbs really well, and is more than capable on all those descents. Plus, you can basically order exactly what you want. If it were a few months ago, I'd gladly let you take one of my demos for a spin.

Does regular and goofy footed apply to MTB as well? I'm regular on boards and goofy on the MTB. Left or right hand turning is virtually similar on boards and bikes but right turns on skis came easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If those are the three bikes you're looking at, then I'd definitely go with the Smash... mostly because it's not a Specialized.
    QFT

This is clearly a question without a "correct" answer, but: deciding btwn Fezzari Shafer and Canyon Grizl. Waiting to see if Grizl will be offered in Rival XPLR AXS for '22. The other nod for the Fezzari is a Zipp upgrade (303's). Pricewise they're pretty comparable (and no LBS brand is even close). Grizl is a bit "lower/longer," as a road guy, I don't think that will bug me too much.

Help me pick...bc I'm in analysis paralysis!

As noted in the gravel post, I'm aware that Fezzari is a terrible name.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    QFT
    X3. I say this as the owner of a specialized. The smash is a great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Left handed, left footed, ride right foot forward. Right turns mo betta ski and bike.

Anyway, I need to replace a bike that melted in a fire. Available (now) bikes that are in budget and in the travel range I'm looking for are Stumpy Evo Comp, GG Smash (build tbd), or AL Spire (XT). Sentinel is more inline with the other two, but Spire is in the running because it can be had at a discount now, and from what I've read it doesn't ride that differently than a Sentinel. Sentinel is riskiest proposition because I'd have to snipe one when they become available.

Bike I'm replacing is a very tired 2017 Patrol. Was happy with that bike, only gripe being it felt a bit short at 6'1" on a size L. Locally I ride Left Hand, White Ranch, and Hall most often (in that order). When snow melts up high I like longer alpine rides. Desert trips a few times per season and a PNW trip every other. I don't nerd out on mtbs like I do on skis. What bike?
    https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-am...21-c2x31920211
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba