Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Is there a thread?

Super intrigued by both skis. Looking for more than just the blister data. Anyone on them? Awesome or mediocre? Heavy enough to move PNWet snow?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Almost bought a Revolt 104 ski this week at Corbett's.....have talked to a couple of people on the hill...they like it. Interested in more info too. And if could mount at -4cm?
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-03-2022 at 12:19 AM.

I skied one run on the 104 last February at a demo at snowbasin. It hadn’t snowed in over a week so the conditions were edgeable chalk, medium firm (for utah) bumps, and groomers.
    Me 6’1 200 I rode the 180cm length mounted on the line. I would get the 188 if I were to order it, but for the conditions the 180 worked.
    These are my unorganized thoughts from what I remember. I really liked the ski, but I like playful skis and generally prefer mounts around -7 to -4. I like to spin, butter, and ski switch.
    I instantly got along with this ski, the mount is about 2cm forward of what I’m used to but it felt right to me, I am sure you could go back 2 more cm and it would still feel natural. I had some of my best 360s while on this ski it is very well balanced and lighter than what I’m used to. It had a good amount of pop, I think they nailed it with the long low rocker cause a lot of the edge engaged in the turns. It did everything better than my 2016 sir Francis bacons. Skis like the Jeffrey 108 and mfree 108 that are a lot heavier are going to be more composed in soft chop for sure but the revolt 104 punches above its weight and is dead easy and fun to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I own them with duke PTs mounted at -4. I’m not a “playful “ skier but they are fantastic tree skis here in northern Vermont. My reps all agree. It doesn’t charge like my K2 mindbeders but so much more maneuverable. Holds an edge really well for how rocketed they are.

The thing that I find most interesting about them is their flex pattern seen together with their shape, fairly deep rocker lines and hefty splay. They are a bit unusual in that they are strongest in front of the binding as compared to the more usual approach of being stiffer from the binding to the contact point in the rear, something that should make them fairly nimble and maneuverable.

The 104s mount point is too far farward for how I ski, or that is what I thought before I returned the pair I bought before mounting them (went with M-Free 108s instead). But, the 121 remain in contention for next ski buy, mounted at -2 from recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voelkl-Revolt-121-crop450.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	360730

Name:	voelkl-revolt-104-crop450.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	360731

I am a bit surprised that they have not launched a 11x-ski for 2021/22. Seems like a logical next step.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    The thing that I find most interesting about them is their flex pattern seen together with their shape, fairly deep rocker lines and hefty splay. They are a bit unusual in that they are strongest in front of the binding as compared to the more usual approach of being stiffer from the binding to the contact point in the rear, something that should make them fairly nimble and maneuverable.

The 104s mount point is too far farward for how I ski, or that is what I thought before I returned the pair I bought before mounting them (went with M-Free 108s instead). But, the 121 remain in contention for next ski buy, mounted at -2 from recommended.

Name:	Voelkl-Revolt-121-crop450.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	360730

Name:	voelkl-revolt-104-crop450.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	360731

I am a bit surprised that they have not launched a 11x-ski for 2021/22. Seems like a logical next step.
    The lack of a 11x is another thing that has me intrigued. Generally, I just don’t touch a ski in the 108-115 waist size unless I’m touring.

Otherwise, on lifts, I’m on a fatty or a park/bumps ski.

I feel like volkl and I are vibing
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

The revolt 121 is a freaking great resort pow ski. Great edge hold, easy to smear and pivot. It’s also heavy and stable in chop and pretty easy to ski in moguls for a big ski

I was going to mount them -2 from rec but fucked up and put them on the line instead. Surprisingly I didn’t hate it and could actually drive them quite well from this spot, not like a cochise ofcourse, but not bad. I’m going to keep them at rec as it really gave the ski a magic ability to pivot and ski easy while also having some backbone.

I thought this was gonna be a ski I picked up cheap which I would move on quickly from, but I really enjoy them and will keep them.
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 01-09-2022 at 01:48 PM.

agreed. The 121 is a killer ski. I think its my favorite 120+ resort ski right now. One day the graphics won't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    One day the graphics won't suck.
    I am not sure if that days is 2023, though it could be that they look better when one sees the entire graphic. Still, better than the two previous iterations imho.

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-01-09 kl. 22.01.24.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	709.0 KB 
ID:	400377

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I am not sure if that days is 2023, though it could be that they look better when one sees the entire graphic. Still, better than the two previous iterations imho.

Could be cool if you get a buddy with a pair and switch out one of the skis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The revolt 121 is a freaking great resort pow ski. Great edge hold, easy to smear and pivot. It’s also heavy and stable in chop and pretty easy to ski in moguls for a big ski

I was going to mount them -2 from rec but fucked up and put them on the line instead. Surprisingly I didn’t hate it and could actually drive them quite well from this spot, not like a cochise ofcourse, but not bad. I’m going to keep them at rec as it really gave the ski a magic ability to pivot and ski easy while also having some backbone.

I thought this was gonna be a ski I picked up cheap which I would move on quickly from, but I really enjoy them and will keep them.
    How'd you pick em up on the cheap?

Trying to decide between these and some bent chetlers and a good price would help

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    How'd you pick em up on the cheap?

Trying to decide between these and some bent chetlers and a good price would help
    Marketplace unfortunately. However if you’re going to use then inbounds I think the revolts are the clear choice

I wonder how these would compare to asym Blizzard Spur? I have a spot in my quiver for resort pow ski and debating between these two. Out of all my skis this pair would see less days on snow so not expecting it to be super versatile.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Marketplace unfortunately. However if you’re going to use then inbounds I think the revolts are the clear choice
    They'd be getting mounted with CAST to get out of bounds occasionally.

I demo'd the bents on a pretty heavy, tracked out pow day and still managed to have fun, but revolts DO sound better on paper

I am going to echo @mr_pretzel and say that the 121 can really manage a lot of situations really really well. I’m loving them as a soft snow ski but on hard snow I haven’t had a day yet that I hated having them.

Here’s a pretty good deal:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/66073957

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Looking (again) at the 180 cm Volkl Revolt 104 mounted at -2cm from rec (eg. -4 cm) with Duke PT 16s.

Love the deep amount of rocker on the Revolts.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-25-2022 at 02:39 AM.

I've got the 104 180cm mounted on the line. I'm 5 8, 155 and I wish I had the 188s. For 360s and things the 180s are great, but for nuking through crud on a centered mounted ski the 180 has me backing off the gas sometimes. It carves so well, but for a "leftovers" euro snow ski, it's not really what I'm looking for. "Leftover" NA conditions I think it would kill it, even in a 180.

Euro shit doesn't get the pack down and polish like US resorts. If it was a revolt 110 in 185 I think I would like it more. I've got the Bent 110 on order to take the spot. Those probably don't ski the groomers so well, but I'm off piste 95% of the time.

I ride the 104 188 on the line. 6’ 4” 210lbs. Most versatile jib ski I could ever ask for. It stuns me how good a ski this skinny with such a center mount handles powder. It can literally pretzel a down rail and control surf slash sideways in 18” of snow. Pivots on a dime. Butters nose and tail. Rips a groomer. The only real cost I can see (besides the obvious weight/stability compromise) is their switch carving performance. Turn transitions need to be quick and angles need to be high. The long tail rocker and “3d radius” can be twitchy when flat basing fast while switch.

Honestly though, I’m with the previous comments. I would prefer this ski, same construction, in a 113mm. The extra material would ad the right amount of stiffness and weight to go proper all mountain without the torque of 120+mm underfoot. The rocker profile has plenty of float, and I’m never going to ski the 121 up to its Markus Eder style Ultimate potential.

Any Volkl reps in the forum? Want to speak to that extra medium width Revolt?

I wonder how these compare to a Jeffrey 118

I ski the 121's as a one ski resort quiver for Tahoe and really like them. They pretty much can do everything and have a very nice balance between charging and playfulness. The center mount does take some getting used to but I like it now and have never felt like they needed more float or had any issues with tip dive. I wonder how they would cruise though at -2, I might move them back if/when I go to 2-ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2 View Post
    I own them with duke PTs mounted at -4. I’m not a “playful “ skier but they are fantastic tree skis here in northern Vermont. My reps all agree. It doesn’t charge like my K2 mindbeders but so much more maneuverable. Holds an edge really well for how rocketed they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Looking (again) at the 180 cm Volkl Revolt 104 mounted at -2cm from rec (eg. -4 cm) with Duke PT 16s.

Love the deep amount of rocker on the Revolts.
    Really thinking of these @ minus 6 for Vermont / East chargy stuff... dumb or legit?!

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Really thinking of these @ minus 6 for Vermont / East chargy stuff... dumb or legit?!
    Not dumb in my opinion. Though -6cm may be a bit far back for this ski.

I’m also looking at a Bent Chetler 100 or maybe even a Line Sick Day 104 due to their slightly lower weight (~1,800 gm per ski) as I’m putting a Duke PT on this ski). Still intrigued by the Revolt 104. May take my scale to the shop to weigh the 180cm. Anyone got a weight? I’ve seen different weights online.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-26-2022 at 04:59 PM.

Anybody has experience with Revolt 121 vs Magic J? I'm 6'2'', 210 and skied Revolt 104 188 last year. Was fine although I'm not jibbing. I want something wider as my other skis pretty much cover that ground. Looking strictly for a resort/cat/heli ski.

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Seeing the Revolt 104 for $359US ($450CDN)?

Hard not to grab a pair of 180cms for my lonely black STH 16s.

I like the look of the super deep/long, gradual tip and tail rocker and minimal camber.

I think these would ski like my Ravens.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-26-2022 at 12:07 AM.

I just skied these back to back with a 182cm Rossingnol Black Ops 98 versus the 188cm 104.

IMO the Black Op is basically better in every way. Better edge hold, better though crud, more intuitive skiing trees, actually feels longer and more stable though chop. The 104 isnt a bad ski but it just doesnt have the wow factor of the Black ops. One thing to note is Preferred the Mount point on the 104s -2 from the line, on the line they felt so freaking weird.