Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Jerk View Post
    Scott H Biram!!!
    you have a very odd definition of country music.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    School me on GOOD country music
    ...it don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king...
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Brent Amaker and the Rodeo

https://soundcloud.com/brentamakeran...who-writes-the

Saw them last year in Seattle, incredible show. Complete with whips and burlesque strippers.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

No one does it better than Maynard.

Seriously though, John Prine, again, I have to say, totally changed my musical tastes. x2 on Gram Parsons. And, if you really want to delve into that world No Depression is a great publication.

Also:

Lucinda Williams
    Hank Sr.
    Randy Travis (I just recently heard some old stuff I quite liked).
    Gotta say, I'm a sucker for Garth's good stuff once in awhile too.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    you have a very odd definition of country music.
    I have an odd definition of many things...

How about the ladies?

Patsy Cline
    Old Dolly Parton (pre-9 to 5)
    Loretta Lynn (check out Van Lear Rose - produced by Jack White)

Don't be afraid of Bluegrass/Newgrass stuff either:

AKUS (Alison Krauss and Union Station)
    The Wailin' Jennies
    Bela Fleck
    Seldom Scene
    Yonder Mt. String Band, etc.

I am listening to Jamey Johnson's "The Guitar Song" right now... totally awesome album

Also check out Rebuild the Wall by Luther Wright and the Wrongs. Its a country/bluegrass version of Pick Floyd's The Wall and it is brilliant!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TGR Forums

Jeffrey Foucault

Marty Robbins

Single songs:

Screw You We're From Texas

Choctaw Bingo
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    centric to one individual:
    these albums are classics:
    Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    The Gilded Palace of Sin
    Burrito Deluxe
    GP
    Grievous Angel
    ^^^this^^^

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Over thirty five posts and no one's mentioned EmmyLou Harris?

And check out Cowboy Sally's Twilight Laments by Sally Timms, and Whiskeytown.

+1 from ricorides...

If you have access to siriusXM give outlaw country, channel 60, a try. Almost everything in this thread I've heard there and they have some pretty entertaining DJs. It's a pretty deep rotation for their autoplay unlike alot of other XM channels.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Over thirty five posts and no one's mentioned EmmyLou Harris?
    speaking of emmylou, folks might want to join the masses for http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/

lots of good country-based music at that thing. to the op, you wouldn't be the only one flying out from boston for those shows.

Awesome guys, this has been great. As I mentioned I bought Jamey Johnson's
    "Guitar Song" and Zac Brown Band's "You get what you give." Here are my thoughts:

Guitar Song: Fucking love it. Great stuff, the album has a natural, underproduced feel like they recorded each track in a handful of takes, which is no small feat considering they're on one of nashville's biggest labels. Exactly what I'm looking for, the lyrics are great too. Highly recommended.

Zac Brown Band: I feel much more lukewarm here. I looked up this album and it was very highly reviewed, yet I feel like they're a well-disguised, well-marketed jam band. The lyrics are overly preachy in a let-me-share-the-secrets-to-a-happy-life-because-I-know-them-all kind of way, and I think the reggae/jimmy buffet fusion thing they have going on is super cheesy. I feel like the only way I'd enjoy it would be if I were driving down a highway in my pickup with a cowboy hat wearing attractive blonde in nothing else but overalls. Has a few good tracks ("As she's walking away") but overall I'd give it 2.5-3 out of 5 stars. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the continued suggestions, I'm gonna peruse them and place another amazon order soon.

EDIT: Any good suggestions for an Alison Krauss album?

Awesome guys, this has been great. As I mentioned I bought Jamey Johnson's
    "Guitar Song" and Zac Brown Band's "You get what you give." Here are my thoughts:

Guitar Song: Fucking love it. Great stuff, the album has a natural, underproduced feel like they recorded each track in a handful of takes, which is no small feat considering they're on one of nashville's biggest labels. Exactly what I'm looking for, the lyrics are great too. Highly recommended.
    Glad you enjoy it.

What I enjoy about Jamey is that authenticity. 8 years in the USMC. Alabama born and raised. Always relaxing with a bunch of old timers from country's glory days and truly respects them (see Hank Cochrane album) . He's a real deal country music singer/songwriter.

Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band do a Gram Parsons tune:

^Albert Lee just tears it up on lead guitar.

And a train song, country music can do train songs:

speaking of train songs.... one of the originals:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band do a Gram Parsons tune:

^Albert Lee just tears it up on lead guitar.

And a train song, country music can do train songs:
    WTF.... how after 17 years of playing guitar has nobody told me about Albert Lee until now???!

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    I'll probably get yelled at for this but god I love this album and I don't even like country music

thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

I go to the Outlaw Country channel on Sirius for modern country that's listenable. Elizabeth Cook from 10am to 2pm is a real treat, just for her voice and attitude. Love that girl.

Probably belongs in the alt country thread but listening to a lot of this lately..

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

WTF.... how after 17 years of playing guitar has nobody told me about Albert Lee until now???!
    That's crazy. Perform due diligence and google/wiki those members of the Hot Band and profit. Here's more Albert Lee goodness with them and Rosanne Cash - Johnny Cash's daughter who was married for a while to Rodney Crowell...of the Hot Band. And it's a train song:
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 11-16-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Updated the link

I dunno man, 'cause he's kind of a legend. Speaking of legends, here's Albert, Vince Gill (who can play the guitar) and a real legend, Danny Gatton.

Like one of the commenters said, if you're a guitat player you probably don't want to give Danny a solo with your band.

Didn't read all the posts so sorry if there are some dupes:

These United States
    Drive By Truckers
    Dave Rawlings with or w/o Gillian Welsh
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    The Be Good Tonyas
    Bow Thayer
    Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks
    Waylon Speed