Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ski Bumming VT

I lived in a VW Eurovan at the top of the road at Smuggs for a month back in college. There's a parking area above all the lots right where they shut down the notch road that's just begging for your camper.

As for Jay, any of the lots should be fine, I'd shoot for the far edges of the stateside lot or one of the pull-offs on 242, either at the dip or the top of the notch. If it's snowing you're better off at the resort than on the road as you won't get as much hassle from the plow men.

Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    ..... I'm going to take my 15 and 13 year old sons on a ski bum tour of VT. Thinking about renting a(n) RV and storm chasing (hopefully) or just hitting the resorts on their list to see since they have never been to VT skiing. Right now the list looks like this:

Peace,
    What an awesome idea. Good for you H-Man. You have plenty of solid ski advice so far. If it's feasible, maybe you could book a room with a pool and hot tub, mid-week. i understand that the point is ski bumming, but they are kids, and you may appreciate a break after chasing around the state and skiing with teenagers nonstop for a week. If your idea of an RV is using the one Trey tours with, you may disregard the previous suggestion.

I look forward to the TR (get the behind the scenes stuff too, not just the skiing please)

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Based on the way this season is going that's why I'd really give Stowe a go...
    You realize the trip is 2 months out? if you ski in VT you know that one storm will change the season. Basing decisions occuring in two months on how things are now is about the worst advice you can give someone skiing the EC or anywhere for that matter. You must work for Stowe.

Jay or Smuggs for north Vt, real VT skiing none of that stowe $90 a ticket for mediocre lift served terrain IMO. Sugar Bush has excellent terrain as well. Have not skied Burke much but from what I have seen it has a lot to offer as well. I would definitely stay away from Stowe though if you want a phriendly priced VT skiing experience .
    You know, you can't just go around and shoot people in the kneecaps with a double-barreled shotgun 'cause you pissed at 'em.

Here's the Cochran's deal:

http://wcax.upickem.net/engine/Splas...ductid=3936550

Anyway, looks like its expired
    Last edited by gpetrics; 12-23-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Based on the way this season is going that's why I'd really give Stowe a go... It's one of the nicest ski areas when the BC is beat (or bare). Groooming, lifts and snowmaking really are great, and the southerly exposure is great when most ski areas in VT are in the shade on the north faces of their mountains. The only other that compares is Sugarbush, but Stowe is a touch better IMO due to the lengthier primary fall line on Mansfield the pistes follow.
    ^^^This. Stowe defs is tops in the grooming, etc. categories (tho you certainly do pay for it, dailies or passes both). plus if it is super cold then you can ride the gondola. i would not go on a wknd, it is crowded and the vibe kinda sucks. mid-week is dead and you can session sidecountry laps (if there is pow).

you could scrap Stowe IMO if there is good snow. Smuggs sidecountry is equally as good, plus better vibe and cheaper prices. gpetrics is right though Stowe does have the nice southern exposure and is pretty pimp. Jay obvs has the goods snow-wise but if you have an RV and flexibility then you can play it by ear. Nice thing is that most of these resorts are 1-2 hours max from one and other (factoring in RV speed, excepting SoVT)

if you go to MRG though (which is a MUST if there is pow...seriously) Sugarbush is right down the road so that's something to bear in mind.

I forgot to mention before, but it'd also be good to get the kids some history... Maybe an afternoon at the Ski museum, and then a Friday night at Cochran's? There's some deal going around for $10 for a family of four. I'll try to dig it up for you.
    never been to magic but i imagine cochran's is the NoVT vibe equivalent, for the family / learn to ski set. super grateful it's where i learned to ski. the co-op NPO thing would be a good learning moment for the kids.

+1 for Smuggs, AWESOME woods, and you can hike to Spruce Peak (Stowe) from Smuggs. You should be able to buy a single pass up the Gondi for "lunch" at the Cliff house, hike the chin (bring a local or know where your going), and head back to Smuggs via 108 and bag the highest line in VT. Only problem is little hike back up 108.. could be worth it on the right day though. If you could bum a lift ride back up Spruce Peak you can practically ski back to Smuggs. Wish it was back in the day and a Stowe pass was good at Smuggs / vice versa...

Sounds like a great trip, and bring on the snow!

Sounds cool. As for Jay, use the stateside lot. They 're getting a little picky on tram side due to limited space.

Avoid Stowe like the plague that week. You'll pay out the ass for lift tickets and it's going to be crowded as fuck, regardless of how good the snow is. School vacation weeks are far more suited for the more "local" ski areas that don't see a massive influx of tourists.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

I don't know if going over the border would complicate things too much, but there's a not-so-well-known (I think) ski area just over the border from Jay that has some good terrain and I think it gets decent snow.

Granted I haven't been there in about 10 years, so YMMV.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Sounds like a great time, H-man

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    School vacation weeks are far more suited for the more "local" ski areas that don't see a massive influx of tourists.
    +1 ^This.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Duke View Post
    Jay or Smuggs for north Vt, real VT skiing none of that stowe $90 a ticket for mediocre lift served terrain IMO. Sugar Bush has excellent terrain as well.

Avoid Stowe like the plague that week. You'll pay out the ass for lift tickets and it's going to be crowded as fuck, regardless of how good the snow is. School vacation weeks are far more suited for the more "local" ski areas that don't see a massive influx of tourists.
    truth.

lets give stowe respect where its due, the terrain is the best in vt

As a snowboarder, I personally think some of the best terrain I've seen in Vermont is at MRG. Inbounds at least...

Hiked it once last spring and was blown away. I think the mountain took revenge on me though, as that's the day I messed up my ankle and subsequently ended my season early.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

thats true, mrgs got the goods. not nearly as much though. what do you mean as a snowboarder?

As someone who will probably not ride there more than just a couple of times. I've seen all that I need to see, that place has some of the best terrain in the northeast.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

forgot that it is a holiday. there are peak prices (so more expensive than the super expensive normal prices) and a lot of locals have that week blacked out. so there will an extra amount of tourists.

I don't know if going over the border would complicate things too much, but there's a not-so-well-known (I think) ski area just over the border from Jay that has some good terrain and I think it gets decent snow.

Granted I haven't been there in about 10 years, so YMMV.
    I didn't realise that Sutton is a secret. They do get good snow, their prices are reasonable. It's definitely the place to go when Jay is on wind shutdown. It's also part of the same ridge as Jay Peak, and so gets just about the same amount of snow.

Or are you talking about Owl's Head? That's a nice place too, but they don't get much snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Or are you talking about Owl's Head? That's a nice place too, but they don't get much snow.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that place. Maybe they just had a good year when I went there.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

VT mountains worth skiing where you can find deals:

Jay/Burke/Smuggs/MRG/Snow Bowl/Pico/Magic

If you want to head to some other states: Hickory in NY is super fun, assuming snow. Lots of stuff in NH.

If you really want to hit Stowe and Sugarbush (I like both except the prices) just buy some tix off of Liftopia soon and hope for the best.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi