Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Does the liner have laces? done up? Just leave the liner on your foot when taking the shell off? That's the way I go with most boots.

I do exactly what smooth operator says. Lace up the stock liner on your foot first. It takes 20 seconds per side. Slide your foot/liner combo into the shell. Boom, ready to go skiing!

When you are done skiing, reverse the process. Leave the liner tied up. Put the boot in ski mode (walk mode makes this harder). Unbuckle the boot completely and genuflect to Ullr. Your foot/liner combo will slide out of the boot shell. Done!

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Does the liner have laces? done up? Just leave the liner on your foot when taking the shell off? That's the way I go with most boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I do exactly what smooth operator says. Lace up the stock liner on your foot first. It takes 20 seconds per side. Slide your foot/liner combo into the shell. Boom, ready to go skiing!

When you are done skiing, reverse the process. Leave the liner tied up. Put the boot in ski mode (walk mode makes this harder). Unbuckle the boot completely and genuflect to Ullr. Your foot/liner combo will slide out of the boot shell. Done!
    doh, didn't even think of that.
    i've never been able to get in/out of other boots with the liner on, so i didn't even think of it this time.

gave it a shot just now. its not perfect, most likely because im out of practice this way. but it is already better than the alternative. ty for the tip.

Is there any way to make them feel as close as possible to regular alpine boot (for example to Hawx Ultra S)? I mean, non XTD version shell weighs only 150g more per boot.

My current set up Ultra XTD 18/19 + Intuition Tour wrap for touring and Dalbelo KR2 for resort. Usually I travel with one boot. And if conditions are bad and I have XTD - it’s going to be a very harsh ride. What liner should I get to have a plush feeling of alpine boot? Instead of taking two boots I could take 2 liners + XTD shell.

Does Intuition Pro tour your has a more plush feel than Tour Wrap? (only if it’s possible to have one liner for both resort and backcountry).
    Last edited by Sashka; 01-05-2020 at 12:32 AM.

I have both 120 and 130 XTD. 130's are with Tour Wrap. Atomic Gold Liner (from 120 XTD) is pretty plush. AFAIK it is used in some of the normal Ultras.

So, I read through the last couple of pages looking for info, admittedly haven't read the whole thread yet. I'm looking for real world experience. After 4-5 seasons on my Maestrales and several franken-fixes, it may be worth it for me to try new boots.

-Shell fit seemed fine, but with the liner in I will need some width. Maybe up to Maestrale width as I value warmth and comfort over all-out performance for these. How much extra width have people been getting in these?

-Also, I had pressure over my instep after wearing them for 10 minutes. Is there a boot board to grind, or is there otherwise a fix for extra instep height?

-Finally, how warm are these? It's not super uncommon for my feet to be cold at temps less than 20's. I usually just deal, but are these much colder than Maestrales?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So, I read through the last couple of pages looking for info, admittedly haven't read the whole thread yet. I'm looking for real world experience. After 4-5 seasons on my Maestrales and several franken-fixes, it may be worth it for me to try new boots.

-Shell fit seemed fine, but with the liner in I will need some width. Maybe up to Maestrale width as I value warmth and comfort over all-out performance for these. How much extra width have people been getting in these?

-Also, I had pressure over my instep after wearing them for 10 minutes. Is there a boot board to grind, or is there otherwise a fix for extra instep height?

-Finally, how warm are these? It's not super uncommon for my feet to be cold at temps less than 20's. I usually just deal, but are these much colder than Maestrales?

Thanks in advance!
    1) You can get lots of width. My feet are 106 and 107mm wide in a 26.5. No problem with punches.

2) There is a boot board (at least that's what I remember)

3) Not as warm as Scarpas with Intuitions. They've been fine for me at 0º F but I run warm.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    I have both 120 and 130 XTD. 130's are with Tour Wrap. Atomic Gold Liner (from 120 XTD) is pretty plush. AFAIK it is used in some of the normal Ultras.
    Can you share how/where/why you use 120 vs 130.

I’m torn on which flex to get.
    Current alpine boot is RX130 with a rivet pulled but a zipfit and booster. Would like these to feel closer to that setup than to my Freetour 130s which feel nice and progressive right up until they just collapse and fold.

Seems I could save money getting 120 vs 130 given I’d likely supplement either with a second liner to cover my usage scenarios - lighter tour liner for the 120 or a plusher inbounds liner for the 130.

Also is there a consensus on whether to size up tour wraps in these or go with shell size? From what i’ve read seems folks been happy either way?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    1) You can get lots of width. My feet are 106 and 107mm wide in a 26.5. No problem with punches.

2) There is a boot board (at least that's what I remember)

3) Not as warm as Scarpas with Intuitions. They've been fine for me at 0º F but I run warm.
    I should mention these would be the new green liner version vs last years with the orange. But warmth is a consideration for me for sure, I have gone numb in Scarpa's with Intuition in temps around 0.

You had the same Maestrale RS as me I believe. Are the Atomic's a big improvement for you? Walking/Skiing?

They ski significantly better than the OG RS's. Much closer to being a 1 boot quiver in terms of both fit and flex. It also took more time with a boot fitter to make them work for me.

I think they walk about the same. But I've also toured in F1's a lot the last few years. Those walk much better than both, making the difference between the RS and Hawx seem minimal by comparison.

Maybe not helpful, but I've been on xtd 130s every day for the past two years. Park, groomers, trees, and a little bit of touring. They ski way better than the full Tilts I had before so I haven't ever felt like I needed a dedicated alpine boot. I'm not very big either so I've never blown through the front of the boot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance!

I was able to get a decent amount of width but couldn't get the instep to work. Tried grinding the boot board and stretching above the instep but couldn't get it right. I'm about 267 in length but my instep is 285 or so. In the amount of time I did ski them the liner was fine for touring but my feet froze on inbounds days. My feet rarely get cold in my Pro Tours or Power Wraps.

I had bad instep problems in my XTD 130s and was able to fix it by switching to a LV pro tour intuition liner, it allows my foot to sit a bit further back in the boot compared with the stock liner, so the instep isn't banging against the top of the shell, and it helps lock my heel in. I don't ski them on hard pack/bumps so I don't really push it, but they work fine for me after the new liner, and cooking the shell.

ok been searching the thread to no avail.

I had these punched and i want to un-punch. does heating the shell do that?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    ok been searching the thread to no avail.

In my experience - YES.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Partially. A good punch won't go all the way back, even with 10 minutes in the oven. At 12 minutes the bootboards start to melt.

Thanks in advance!
    Not sure how much width is possible, but my feet measure 109mm/110mm and my bootfitter (Tom @ Intuition Vancouver) had no problem with what he said was minor punch work to make room for forefoot width in a 27.5. I've actually had zero discomfort in that area, last two boots (Scarpa Masetrale RS 1.0 and Tenica Dragon 130 alpine boot) I had to go back to bootfitters for extra work due to bad pain on day 1.

I never had problems with cold feet, but two days of skiing cold dry powder in Whistler (in bounds) around -8 to -10C I had cold toes, both standing around/lifts and skiing. Was never bad enough to go into the lodge but surprised me a bit since my feet are usually a sweaty mess. No issues the day we toured though. I think it might be a tighter shell/liner fit in the Hawx 130 versus my old Maestrale and alpine boots.

Was just back at Intuition today to get a bit more room in the toe box (heat gun on line toe area/stretch with tool + grind custom insoles down a bit) and heel hold for touring for ankle blisters (trying pads on lower calf area of liner to see if it helps.

Really impressed with these boots though. I'm 210lbs, so I will not say they feel like an alpine boot in the resort, but they are absolutely good enough (especially for pow) and I had a blast with zero pain/complaints doing two big days this past weekend. These two minor fixes today should help with touring as well. Also the conventional overlap/4 buckle is a lot easier IMO than RS 1.0 to deal with.

I could use some advice on a replacement liner for my XTD 130s (older orange model). I'm in a 26.5 shell, and have a pretty good, snug fit in there after a heat mold and a little punching. About 5/8"-3/4" shell fit, with the liner removed (my right foot is a little longer than my left). Pretty high instep, and I'll be skiing them with relatively thin custom footbeds.

Leaning towards a MV Pro Tour, but open to ideas. I do like wrap liners in my alpine boots, but don't really think I need to stiffen these up, and would rather not take a big walkability hit. But I haven't used a Tour Wrap before, so I don't really have a great handle on how significant that is.

I've got an mv pro tour in mine, 27 shell with a slightly tighter shell fit and am very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I've got an mv pro tour in mine, 27 shell with a slightly tighter shell fit and am very happy.
    Thanks. Did you go 27 or 28 for the liner, into a 27.5 shell? Intuition says round up for the Pro Tour but I'm wary since the Hawx shell runs a little short, and I'm tight on overall volume.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Thanks. Did you go 27 or 28 for the liner, into a 27.5 shell? Intuition says round up for the Pro Tour but I'm wary since the Hawx shell runs a little short, and I'm tight on overall volume.
    I put a 28.5 Scarpa Freedom SL liner (tongue, beefier than protour) in a 29 Hawx and it's good...but it's Scarpa sizing so...
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I put a 28.5 Scarpa Freedom SL liner (tongue, beefier than protour) in a 29 Hawx and it's good...but it's Scarpa sizing so...
    I tried to stuff the liner out of a 27.0 Freedom RS my my Hawx and that was a bit too high volume. I guess that's a point in favor of the 26?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've gotten the 27/27.5 Scarpa Intuition and the 27 Tour Wrap in my 27.5 shell. Tour Wrap fits a little better since the sole of the Scarpa liner has about 2-3 more mm of foam.

I went 26 in the MV pro tour in a 26/26.5 shell. I don't think the 27 would fit as well, especially with home baking and having to work the hot liner into that shell.

I’m using Intuition Tour Wrap 25 in 24.5 shell. Works like a charm.