Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for a mid-fat daily driver for the PNW

Decided to save my pennies at this point and pick up something at an end-of-season sale.
    Looking for a new daily driver, something 95-110 underfoot, rockered, twin-tip/non-twin doesn't matter to me.

Me: 6'2, #180, not aggressive. Just getting double blacks down, but spend 2/3 of my day in trees & bowls chilling and exploring the mountain. No real charging, no drops, no park (Hey, some day right?) I do appreciate speed & carve-ability on groomers when I'm racing a friend, running full-tilt, etc.
    Home mountain's Steven's Pass.

Skis I've demo'd

Atomic Access: Super playful, approachable, but the tips were a little floppy at speed, also deflected through crud more than the others and didn't hold an edge quite as well as I would've liked.

K2 Hardside: Versatile, did everything I asked. Good amount of energy, good amount of rocker, float. Hate the topsheets though (Yeah, I'm vain)

Nordica To-Hell-and-Back: Little energy, heavier, but did plow through crud well. No likey though.

Rides I'm considering:
    Line SFB/Opus: Really want to demo these, not sure where to go though. Also, the SFB is sold out most everywhere. I've heard such good things though I might just wait till next season
    Line Prophet 100
    Atomic Access
    K2 Hardside
    Salomon Shogun
    Vokl Gotama (Think these might be a bit much for me at this point)

Any other suggestions? Which of these really fits the bill the best?
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 01-24-2012 at 08:12 PM.

search jong. Maybe start here in the thread that's only 2 days old with the exact same fucking title.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...driver-for-PNW

Funny, I actually read that thread right before I posted. Based on the good response, I figured this was a good place to ask this question. Started a new thread so as not to hijack samthaman's deal. Also: different skier, different objectives, and none of the rides I'm considering came up anywhere in the thread. I don't like Rossi's and ON3P/DPS's are both sweet but out of my price-range/hard to come by. (Price range = 20% off at REI + searching couch cushions for loose change)

SO.

...anybody spend any time on any of the above rides? Is there a 'best' ski for someone in my situation? i.e intermediate-thinking about advanced looking for a DD that shines in the sidecountry and trees but still handles on hard stuff well enough? Emphasis on playful & approachable.

The prophet 100 was my last daily driver, great all around ski, but not what you're looking for. It sounds like you should go with the hardsides from your post. Ugly? They're fucking skis . . . just sticker them up. Why continue searching if you found something you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Can demo the SFB at crystal

you have a good list for daily drivers based on your specs. Keep working on that list.

Worst case...buy some skis. If you don't like them, sell'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    buy some skis. If you don't like them, sell'em.
    This. I recommend this method.

185 Movement Source. Great price here: http://www.alpinebaseandedge.com/ind...acturers_id/44
    Great review here: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-T...ce-Review-2012
    I love mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Worst case...buy some skis. If you don't like them, sell'em.
    darn, i have a hard time doing that. I just can't justify losing money every time i buy a ski and then sell them again. i guess i still have to learn how to become a gear whore. it will come with time.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Karl, I thought we already found the ski for you?

I've been very happy w/ my Armada TST's. They hold an edge great, plenty of rocker up front for the deeper stuff, 103 underfoot, super playful but not too soft. they ski short so go longer than you think you need.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    185 Movement Source. Great price here: http://www.alpinebaseandedge.com/ind...acturers_id/44
    Great review here: http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-T...ce-Review-2012
    I love mine.
    Sweet baby jesus! Sounds like a heck of a ski and a heck of a deal! Any brick & mortar shops have these in stock? Any places in WA demo these bad boys?

Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    The prophet 100 was my last daily driver, great all around ski, but not what you're looking for. It sounds like you should go with the hardsides from your post. Ugly? They're fucking skis . . . just sticker them up. Why continue searching if you found something you like?
    Interesting, they were my # 2 choice based just on reviews/profile. Can you comment on what makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Interesting, they were my # 2 choice based just on reviews/profile. Can you comment on what makes you say that?

No rocker. Probably hooky in that heavy, wet snow. They're awesome, don't get me wrong, but I've never had them in PNW snow, and since skiing something with rocker, I've noticed the hookiness in variable terrain more. I'm debating unloading mine, so if your interested in spite of my cynical review, we could potentially work something out.

Sweet baby jesus! Sounds like a heck of a ski and a heck of a deal! Any brick & mortar shops have these in stock? Any places in WA demo these bad boys?
    They're 40% off. Just buy them and sell them for a $50-$100 loss if you really can't stand them.

Do some research on the Hardsides. I have never used mine in the resort (love them, but for bc only), but others have mentioned that they're not so great inbounds. If you thought they were okay in the resort, maybe you're not too picky and might like something else even more?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

H2OG Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    darn, i have a hard time doing that. I just can't justify losing money every time i buy a ski and then sell them again. i guess i still have to learn how to become a gear whore. it will come with time.

I had this problem too but got over it. Probably had 10+ pairs of skis pass through my hands in the past few years. Settled on a current quiver of 4.

You will get the hang of it. Buy used sell used-ER

@ huskydoc
    The initial animosity was because there are hundreds of "what ski?" threads, and at least a dozen "what PNW ski?" threads. Here's how this game is played. You list your desired attributes and you'll get a generally solid list of choices in the replies, but if you say I like such-and-such skis, the answers you get will be the poster's feelings about said skis. For instance, you mentioned the Prophet 100. Well, I hate that ski with a passion. How does that help you? Lots of people love it. Are they wrong? Am I wrong? How do magnets work? Who doesn't have room for Jello?

Choose one from each line:

stiff/soft
    straight/turny (sidecut)
    damp/lively
    camber/tip rocker/tip and tail rocker (cambered mid-section)/full rocker
    flat tails/twin tips
    directional/jibby
    hourglass/pintail
    full sidecut/tapered tips/tapered tips and tail

So if it were me, I'd ask "which stiff, straight, lively, tip rockered, flat tailed, directional, pintailed, with tapered tips ski for the PNW?"
    OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but if I did ask that, I'd bet the answers would be very close to the skis sitting in my basement right now.

If you can't (yet) identify which attributes you prefer, then you need to demo, beg, borrow (but don't steal), until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    @ huskydoc
    The initial animosity was because there are hundreds of "what ski?" threads, and at least a dozen "what PNW ski?" threads. Here's how this game is played. You list your desired attributes and you'll get a generally solid list of choices in the replies, but if you say I like such-and-such skis, the answers you get will be the poster's feelings about said skis. For instance, you mentioned the Prophet 100. Well, I hate that ski with a passion. How does that help you? Lots of people love it. Are they wrong? Am I wrong? How do magnets work? Who doesn't have room for Jello?

Choose one from each line:

stiff/soft
    straight/turny (sidecut)
    damp/lively
    camber/tip rocker/tip and tail rocker (cambered mid-section)/full rocker
    flat tails/twin tips
    directional/jibby
    hourglass/pintail
    full sidecut/tapered tips/tapered tips and tail

So if it were me, I'd ask "which stiff, straight, lively, tip rockered, flat tailed, directional, pintailed, with tapered tips ski for the PNW?"
    OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but if I did ask that, I'd bet the answers would be very close to the skis sitting in my basement right now.

If you can't (yet) identify which attributes you prefer, then you need to demo, beg, borrow (but don't steal), until you do.
    Ah, I see. Well then.
    A turny, lively, tip/tail rockered ride w/ a moderate flex and no park aspirations (Directional, not jibby). Something 180-185cm or skis like it, 95-110 underfoot, with a radius under 25m...for daily use in the PNW. Extra points if it could feasiby be remounted and used for backcountry forays when I get to that point. And general sexyness, of course.

i.e intermediate-thinking about advanced looking for a DD that shines in the sidecountry and trees but still handles on hard stuff well enough? Emphasis on playful & approachable.
    To me this screams SFB? I am a fan...

Ah, I see. Well then.
    A turny, lively, tip/tail rockered ride w/ a moderate flex and no park aspirations (Directional, not jibby). Something 180-185cm or skis like it, 95-110 underfoot, with a radius under 25m...for daily use in the PNW. Extra points if it could feasiby be remounted and used for backcountry forays when I get to that point. And general sexyness, of course.
    I know you said no Rossi, but the first ski that comes to mind after reading that is the S3 (or S7). The Blizzard Bonafide would fit the bill nicely too.

pisteoff - I added your attributes list to the PSA: how to use tech talk effectively thread. Well said . . . and you can't trust someone who doesn't have room for Jello.

Salomon Sentinel has a square tail that would make it useful for a slack country rig. A healthy serving of sidecut keeps it fun on groomer days. A bit heavier than the Hardside, but very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    pisteoff - I added your attributes list to the PSA: how to use tech talk effectively thread. Well said . . . and you can't trust someone who doesn't have room for Jello.
    Wow, thanks.

Back to the OP - Reading your description of which attributes you're looking for, the Hardside does seem to fit.

You might consider the Fischer Watea too. They don't get much love here on tgr, but they meet many of your criteria.

I don't know about the Movement Source that was mentioned above, but I have skied the Sluff, and it's another really nice ski that doesn't get much press (probably because it's old-school camber-no-rocker).

Someone mentioned the Armada TST, which might work for you. I was thinking that aside from being wider than your stated range, the JJ might work for you as well. But they are really turny. Maybe too much so.

Some interesting stuff on gear swap this morning too. DPS Wailer 95 w/binders. Now that's a light and lively ski (but trad camber and maybe a little on the stiff side).

Who doesn't like Gotamas? They aren't turny, but they're easy to turn. They'll handle anything from groomers to pow as long as it's not ice or waist deep. And they're cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Wow, thanks.

Back to the OP - Reading your description of which attributes you're looking for, the Hardside does seem to fit.

You might consider the Fischer Watea too. They don't get much love here on tgr, but they meet many of your criteria.

I don't know about the Movement Source that was mentioned above, but I have skied the Sluff, and it's another really nice ski that doesn't get much press (probably because it's old-school camber-no-rocker).

Someone mentioned the Armada TST, which might work for you. I was thinking that aside from being wider than your stated range, the JJ might work for you as well. But they are really turny. Maybe too much so.

Some interesting stuff on gear swap this morning too. DPS Wailer 95 w/binders. Now that's a light and lively ski (but trad camber and maybe a little on the stiff side).

Who doesn't like Gotamas? They aren't turny, but they're easy to turn. They'll handle anything from groomers to pow as long as it's not ice or waist deep. And they're cheap.
    Yeah I was eying the Watea when I demo'd the Nordicas. What's the deal with the funky tip? I know it's supposed to increase float/handle pow better, does it work? Get in the way at all?

Heading to Crystal next Tuesday to demo the SFB, S7, and hopefully the Bonafide. As an aside, does anyone know a good shop in Western WA that might still have the SFB in a 184? No dice so far at REI, Sturtevants or Evo.

Yeah, I think that boat hull or whatever they call it is a stupid gimmick. I would hope that it's only in the rockered portion of the ski so it doesn't ever make contact with hard snow. But I don't know because the pair I had predated it. You'd definitely want to demo before buying.