Page 1545 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 ... LastLast
Results 38,601 to 38,625 of 46278
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    People who say such and such is my “ride or die”. Especially when someone who is 49 says it.
    I don't think I've ever heard this. What's the context?

Shit that annoys you

^some of my lady friends use this to describe a friend that is there with you no matter what. like las vegas style.

I am decidedly not a ride or die buddy
    skid luxury

Shit that annoys you

My dumb hick town doesn’t want to compete with the 4th of July at other towns. So they have “pioneer days.” It’s the same fucking thing but the following weekend. Spreads the fireworks out another week. My next door neighbors are celebrating. Rockets over my house.

My poor dog.
    focus.

Welcome to (quasi) Utah.

Edit. Thankfully we’re going to be the fuck out of town on the 24th so we don’t have to see this again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F5AC300-56FA-4F5C-A319-9CB9BAE48162.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	573.6 KB 
ID:	421032

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    My dumb hick town doesn’t want to compete with the 4th of July at other towns. So they have “pioneer days.” It’s the same fucking thing but the following weekend. Spreads the fireworks out another week. My next door neighbors are celebrating. Rockets over my house.

My poor dog.
    Welcome to Utah. July 24th.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

And my dog is ride or die, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

State level agencies that you are required to give money to, will fuck you for not doing so, and make it impossible for the transaction to proceed without spending half a day on the phone. Unbelievable, glad something else was contracted to a third party.

Say what you will about the IRS, but they make it easy to pay them and just as easy to verify the payment.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    State level agencies that you are required to give money to, will fuck you for not doing so, and make it impossible for the transaction to proceed without spending half a day on the phone. Unbelievable, glad something else was contracted to a third party.

Say what you will about the IRS, but they make it easy to pay them and just as easy to verify the payment.
    Child support?

Shit that annoys you

Fly across the country, can’t land in Denver at the last minute due to a weather hold, after we circle and use up all our fuel get diverted to Colorado Springs. Land there. Can’t get a gate to refuel, meanwhile ground hold in Denver is lifted. But by this time a passenger is not feeling well and is removed via ambulance. Thanks fully they seem ok.

Still no fuel. Starting to worry I’ll miss the last bus despite having an original arrival time of 6pm. Run to bus and make it. Get to RTD garage where car was left at about 11:45. Dead car battery on a car with 40k miles on it.

Have AAA but lovely wife has info cause we just added it with our new insurance. She is asleep in a different state. Finally get service call in. Now waiting for service.

Trip started at 9am EST. Is now nearly 12:30am MST. Pretty sure I could have flown to New Zealand by now.

AAA just called. Will try to be here by 12:35am. Shooting to be home by 1:15am. If that all works, it’ll be a tidy 18 hour trip from the east coast to the mountains. Lovely.

Annoyed is a fair description.

After that one this seems minor but companies stealing songs by somewhat modifying them to avoid paying royalties annoys me. The prime example right now is Toyota using Blind Melon's "No Rain" for a truck commercial they run over and over.

It's clearly the song, I would guess that Blind Melon would probably win a law suit, but I guess a defunct band suing a major Corp. isn't gonna happen so they get away with it. There's at least one other Toyota example I can't think of right now and it happens pretty frequently in general. Annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    After that one this seems minor but companies stealing songs by somewhat modifying them to avoid paying royalties annoys me. The prime example right now is Toyota using Blind Melon's "No Rain" for a truck commercial they run over and over.

It's clearly the song, I would guess that Blind Melon would probably win a law suit, but I guess a defunct band suing a major Corp. isn't gonna happen so they get away with it. There's at least one other Toyota example I can't think of right now and it happens pretty frequently in general. Annoying.
    What I can't get over is Volvo using Pete Seeger. That just doesn't compute.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

I'm really not the right guy to try to lay this out but basically Toyota (well, I guess their ad agency) would license the rights to use the music commercially.

Whoever holds the copyright to the music (generally either the band themselves or their label) would get the request to use the song from Toyota and decide either A. Nope, can't use it or B. Yes, use it for $$$$$ or C. use a 'version' (mix or make a copy recorded by a separate artist) of it for $

Music does get outright copied and stolen from time to time, but typically major corporations don't fuck around and go through the proper channels to receive licensing of music, especially when it comes to artists (defunct or not) who have music on major labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I'm really not the right guy to try to lay this out but basically Toyota (well, I guess their ad agency) would license the rights to use the music commercially.

Whoever holds the copyright to the music (generally either the band themselves or their label) would get the request to use the song from Toyota and decide either A. Nope, can't use it or B. Yes, use it for $$$$$ or C. use a 'version' (mix or make a copy recorded by a separate artist) of it for $

Music does get outright copied and stolen from time to time, but typically major corporations don't fuck around and go through the proper channels to receive licensing of music, especially when it comes to artists (defunct or not) who have music on major labels.
    So major corporations, say one the size of Volkswagen, wouldn’t do something like that?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/beach-house-11-1285964

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    So major corporations, say one the size of Volkswagen, wouldn’t do something like that?

What does the word "typically" mean to you?

Also, did you read your own article? Literally the first words:

"Beach House have told their fans that they shouldn’t be angry at Volkswagen for mimicking one of their songs in a new commercial, but should blame the advertising agency instead."

I was going to say that almost certainly they all use ad agencies for this sort of stuff, and not in-house teams, so any decisions/infractions would come on the agency level. Screwing around with non-licensed media is a great way to get fired off a big account like VW or Toyota (at best).

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

"Beach House have told their fans that they shouldn’t be angry at Volkswagen for mimicking one of their songs in a new commercial, but should blame the advertising agency instead."
    I guess my point is that it happens more often than you may expect, and more than it should.

I’d also say that an ad agency working for VW is likely a large corporation itself, and that VW should be held (at least partially) responsible for the conduct. They contracted with the agency, and VW must have signed off on the ad, right?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Get to RTD garage where car was left at about 11:45. Dead car battery on a car with 40k miles on it.
    Apparently typical. My battery died around the same. I looked into it a bit afterward and seems like lots of the modern electronics in today's vehicles take their toll on the battery. One of the things specifically mentioned was you probably shouldn't attach any USB devices for short trips (less than 15 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Get to RTD garage where car was left at about 11:45. Dead car battery on a car with 40k miles on it.

Have AAA but lovely wife has info cause we just added it with our new insurance. She is asleep in a different state. Finally get service call in. Now waiting for service.

Trip started at 9am EST. Is now nearly 12:30am MST. Pretty sure I could have flown to New Zealand by now.

AAA just called. Will try to be here by 12:35am. Shooting to be home by 1:15am. If that all works, it’ll be a tidy 18 hour trip from the east coast to the mountains. Lovely.

Annoyed is a fair description.
    It's too late for this event, so perhaps my post will annoy you (topical thread I guess). But everyone should have one of these in their car: https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Start...dp/B09KH398RY/

You would have been out of that garage at 11:50.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

I guess my point is that it happens more often than you may expect, and more than it should.

I’d also say that an ad agency working for VW is likely a large corporation itself, and that VW should be held (at least partially) responsible for the conduct. They contracted with the agency, and VW must have signed off on the ad, right?
    Beach House not throwing VW under the bus notwithstanding, that’s a broken accountability tree. The ad agency isn’t accountable to general public in any meaningful way; they sell their services to corporations. If VW isn’t held accountable they have little reason to hold the ad agency accountable.

The only way accountability flows in any rational or productive way is if general public holds VW accountable, and in turn VW holds the ad agency accountable. VW should be held wholly responsible for the conduct of their agents, in a court of law and in the court of public opinion. If the ad agency is a large corporation and corporate lawyers are doing all the corporate lawyer things a part of the contract should include indemnification for silly shitty conduct; likely limited to something like contract value unless they went way outside the lines in grossly negligent ways, and probably not in a way that meaningfully protects them from a PR mess. It’s a pleasant fiction that the ad agency can or should firewall VW from exposure here, but a fiction is all it should be.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's too late for this event, so perhaps my post will annoy you (topical thread I guess). But everyone should have one of these in their car: https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Start...dp/B09KH398RY/

those things are expensive and ya gotta remember to charge them too... these things are cheap and work every time. no power needed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...&bih=882&dpr=1

or even cheaper still from our pals at harbor freight...

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...tch-63425.html

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

Is that a battery cutoff switch or is it just happy to see us?

re: Toyota commercial

Considering No Rain is clearly about depression, it's an odd choice. Then again, "wrapped up like a douche, another stoner in the night"

Cheaper still

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bterm.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	421258

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

It does annoy me, as you should have dropped this off at my house a couple weeks ago and the situation would have been avoided.

But then I'd just be posting in here about how I'm annoyed I forgot to charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    re: Toyota commercial

Considering No Rain is clearly about depression, it's an odd choice. Then again, "wrapped up like a douche, another stoner in the night"
    Then again, using a Pogues song about an Irish nationalist taking his sins to the grave in a minivan commercial for Subaru.

Not at all annoying. More hilarious, really.