Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Skiing bump lines solely on your outer edges? No thanks. I fully understand why the monoski quickly went the way of the dodo.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Supu and I were at Kirkwood after a freak November storm last season and they allowed the main run under 6 to bump up. That and the fact that few gapers were out that early in the season made for some sweet zipper lines. Reminiscent of mad river glen back when skis were skinny. We ended up meeting a couple of bump fiends from heavenly. One was on a monoski. We did a few laps with them and for what it's worth, the monoskier slayed it.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

is it wrong to be strong?

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    No...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Skiing bump lines solely on your outer edges? No thanks. I fully understand why the monoski quickly went the way of the dodo.
    alrighty then!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Some of the best runs that I had this year were bump runs. Skiing under the snow guns on Hayburner this March was some of the most fun I had. This probably says more about the conditions on the east coast this year than it does about bump skiing, but I find that 3-D terrain is better than 2-D. I'll take bumps over groomers any day. Skiing slush bumps in May at Sugarloaf is something we look forward to all season long.

I ONLY like Moguls in REALLY deep pow.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

That is my preference also
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It's not that you don't know how to ski bumps.

It's that you don't know how to ski and the bumps prove it.

I haven't read previous pg but I hope the consensus is no
    I mf'ing love skiing some good bumps - so fun
    or even if they're bad we just call it mogul bootcamp - good training

Quote Originally Posted by skibuff View Post
    It's not that you don't know how to ski bumps.

It's that you don't know how to ski and the bumps prove it.
    To love bumps and to suck at them at the same time, this is my predicament. I'm guessing it can be solved by gear. Anybody got any 244's or f17s they wanna sell me? Or, maybe some quicker feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear View Post
    people who say mogul skiing sucks probably suck at skiing moguls.
    People who suck at skiing moguls suck at skiing
    Let Gravity Be Your Guide....

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    how does that work exactly? Do you just go in saying "my knees might explode, but oh well!"?
    What do you say when you huck a 25 ft cliff?
    Big hucks into mogul fields was the name of the game in the 90's. Helped if there was some fresh snow, but not necessary. Huck it, land in the right spot, absorb the hit, move to the next bump, absorb absorb, float a nice GS hoppy couple turns off the next 3, and exit said bump field. It only hurts if you fuck it up.

Have you ever skied?

check out Ben Wheeler for ridiculous Bump ability...there definitely some around LCC that destroy bumps> not just powder either...I seen him shred old ice bumbs at the Bird ,as well as quite a few unknown skiers as well ..omg how they control is beyond me..though there some carving goin on there..bash style only goes so far
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
    People who suck at skiing moguls suck at skiing
    Bingo was his name o
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    how does that work exactly? Do you just go in saying "my knees might explode, but oh well!"?
    well ,in Wasatch front we love Moguls ..the snow dosent freeze up like west or east..so it is almost always smooth-ish ,to supreme

Try slappin some Icy Blue Killington Moguls ,or heavenly Tahoe on an ice day..you better have armor on.

ain't nothing wrong with skiing moguls. when you grow up in the east, sometimes it's all you can do on those cold night skiing eves to get warm. but the real question is, when you move out west, what skis can you use to crush bumps but also float pow

Snowboarding killed mogul skiing
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Video killed the radio star

Interesting concept. All the mogul skiers began snowboarding?

Is the 1 piece making a comeback, i.e., willyfinder? I'm seeing more of them lately here on the EC. They have knee patches.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

no, Snowboarders side slipped their way down the mogul fields and tore them up.

Its lame to ask if its lame to ski moguls

they are just there

so ski them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

....heheh ,Lame? good luck on a Powder day, after 11 am ,if you cannot ski them!

Whole mountain turns into mogul heaven on powder day, if it is not still snowing...> or an east coast spring splash,would be mogul city-big ones by afternoon.

I aim for moguls ,like a dirty French girl hits fleet week...... well not quite that hard

Quote Originally Posted by get_dat_pow View Post
    what skis can you use to crush bumps but also float pow
    F17 classics.

sweet^^^
    I use a variety anything 178 or shorter works great 4 me..175 is shortest I feel necessary old B3s , or Solomon Czars for pow moguls

if they not rutted you can carve and bash 190s ,on big ones (can't be to tough ,as I not super comfy on the 193 straight skis I ride, in the steeper stuff)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1087.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	944.4 KB 
ID:	196497

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    check out Ben Wheeler for ridiculous Bump ability...there definitely some around LCC that destroy bumps> not just powder either...I seen him shred old ice bumbs at the Bird ,as well as quite a few unknown skiers as well ..omg how they control is beyond me..though there some carving goin on there..bash style only goes so far
    I've been out of the game for so long that I sort of assume nowadays technique is pretty consolidated...but in the 90s there was a real distinct technique split between the French guys and the North Americans where the French would deflect on a flat ski with their tips up ("bashing") versus the N/A's who would try to drive their tips and bend the ski. Watching those French guys (Grospiron, Olivier Cotte, Olivier Allemand, Fabien Bertrand...etc) would just blow my mind because they were fully shredding, fully killing it, but doing a lot of things that were considered bad technique in the USA.
    It was a weird time with two very different techniques competing for dominance of what would define good mogul skiing...what judges would consider a good turn.

Edgar Grospiron deflecting French style:

Nelson Carmichael (at 25 seconds) leading with his tips North American style:
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 01-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I used to think that too....I had a real change of mind when I started skiing back and forth between Alta and Snowbird. Bumps at snowbird tended to be rounder with nice open spacing. Bumps at Alta tended to be tighter and more hacked up.