Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Oh yeah: melotonin.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wtf am I doing? Mesmerized by my food? Completely in awe of our morning pow sesh and still in disbelief I’m shredding pow in Switzerland? Lol!
    And the old waiter dude to Buster, “ you order two Charcuterie, I make you two!” Only you ordered one. Heh.
    I thought you were just saying the blessing?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Oh yeah: melotonin.
    and SBB.CH app. it's fantastic. Not only do you not need to book tickets in advance, but you can, after you get the app all set up with your cc etc., just buy the ticket after you sit your fat happy American ass down in the seat. It will be a few minutes before the conductor walks through to scan tickets. You'll have the equivalent of a smartphone boarding pass for a US airline that h/she will scan to verify your purchase.

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I thought you were just saying the blessing?
    Pretty sure I saw Jesus earlier when the edibles peaked during waist deep bottomless blower in white out/ping pong ball conditions....
    So yeah, prolly saying “thanks” for that...

I hate when this thread pops up and I don't have tickets booked.

Official BBI or no -- I'm headed back next year to Michele and Serena's. That place made me calm, tired and content in an exceptional way. The trains, food, pow, coffee and beer all helped as well.

Sunny days lunching under the Gemstock
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	317334

And one of my favorites from the storm day of TAFKALS.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	693.0 KB 
ID:	317335

and SBB.CH app. it's fantastic. Not only do you not need to book tickets in advance, but you can, after you get the app all set up with your cc etc., just buy the ticket after you sit your fat happy American ass down in the seat. It will be a few minutes before the conductor walks through to scan tickets. You'll have the equivalent of a smartphone boarding pass for a US airline that h/she will scan to verify your purchase.
    Protip: if you can select exact train times you can save 20-30% of the train ticket if you select off-peak times. Just dont miss your train.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

But make sure you get the ticket before the departure time. Otherwise it becomes a very expensive trip.

I just downloaded the app. And it looks like there is a new feature this year that uses GPS to track where and when you ride and bills you automatically!

Quote Originally Posted by carvehard View Post
    I just downloaded the app. And it looks like there is a new feature this year that uses GPS to track where and when you ride and bills you automatically!
    True. Makes life suuuuuper easy for people going point to point like what you’re doing (if you haven’t booked a discounted ticket in advance).

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    True. Makes life suuuuuper easy for people going point to point like what you’re doing (if you haven’t booked a discounted ticket in advance).
    what do you do if booked discounted in advance so that it doesn't automatically bill you? I bought a Saver Day Pass for a couple of days on which I plan to take relatively long trips (Zurich --> Zermatt, Zermatt --> Klosters).

what do you do if booked discounted in advance so that it doesn't automatically bill you? I bought a Saver Day Pass for a couple of days on which I plan to take relatively long trips (Zurich --> Zermatt, Zermatt --> Klosters).
    Just don't turn on that feature.

It's most useful for those who have a regional subscription and have a confusing time to not overpay on tickets when leaving their prepaid zones.

What Charlie said. You actually have to slide a switch in the app, at which point it tracks you, then you turn it off. If you don’t start it tracking, you won’t get charged.

OK gents so the big question two weeks out - is COVID-19 going to completely ass rape EuroBBI 2020???

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    3 more cases popped up on Switzerland yesterday about 1 hour from me. Family returning from italy. Last night and today i never smelled the trains so clean. And they usually are anyways.

My wife's school (teacher) is prepping for remote classrooms from home. My work is locking down too. Might be fully remote for a while if more cases pop up. Yay!
    Flights to Italy are being cancelled as we speak and Switzerland ain't that far from the big boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    OK gents so the big question two weeks out - is COVID-19 going to completely ass rape EuroBBI 2020???

Cases in Switzerland are popping up rapidly and Mr Ripzalot (who lives in Switzerland) is preparing to work from home while his wife (school teacher) is doing the same. Flights are being cancelled to Italy as we speak and Switzerland aint all that far from the big boot.
    I wasn’t going to be the guy to pop this convo’s cherry, but I will certainly chime in now. Likelihood of my gig getting cancelled is 80-90% at this point. I’m supposed to be going Germany->swiz->Milan... not an ideal itinerary given the current conditions.

Needless to say that if I have to cancel this.... I can’t even talk/type about it yet; still in grief stage #1.

Flights to Italy are being cancelled as we speak and Switzerland ain't that far from the big boot.
    Will be very disappointed if this gets interrupted sidelined, etc...as I plan for many epic thread reports to compensate for the very slow meltdown of the Sierra winter!!!

I know- selfish....

Corona, the virus, not the beer, has been a subject of some conversation around travel at our house.
    Can CH actually close it's borders to incoming flights?

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    I wasn’t going to be the guy to pop this convo’s cherry, but I will certainly chime in now. Likelihood of my gig getting cancelled is 80-90% at this point. I’m supposed to be going Germany->swiz->Milan... not an ideal itinerary given the current conditions. Needless to say that if I have to cancel this.... I can’t even talk/type about it yet; still in grief stage #1.
    Yeah I felt like it was the elephant in this otherwise excellent thread filled with stoke about an epic ski trip. But the reality is, this thing could fuck this trip all up. And you would have a LOT of super depressed mags here, myself included. I have been looking forward to this trip since last fall

Corona, the virus, not the beer, has been a subject of some conversation around travel at our house. Can CH actually close it's borders to incoming flights?
    Has been a topic of conversation here too which is why I wanted to see what others are thinking. Yes CH can close its borders to incoming flights. As I said, flights are getting cancelled to Italy as we speak.

I guess I meant to ack that CH can legally close their borders, they are Swiss after all.

But practically, what does that mean?

Who eats the cost of all the prepurchased tickets/hotels/rebooking?

Yeah I felt like it was the elephant in this otherwise excellent thread filled with stoke about an epic ski trip.
    QFT. Like I said, I didn’t want to pop that cherry, but I’m relieved that it has been popped.

But the reality is, this thing could fuck this trip all up. And you would have a LOT of super depressed mags here, myself included. I have been looking forward to this trip since last fall
    I Agree Biggly.

Has been a topic of conversation here too which is why I wanted to see what others are thinking.
    My Thinking: the issue is the uncertainty surrounding potential travel delays/restrictions. In light of the cruise ship debacle, I have some reservations about willingly traveling to a foreign country halfway around the world, leaving my 2 small (under 8) children at home with my parents. Grandma and Grandpa agreed to watch the kiddos for 2 weeks, not 2 weeks plus potentially 14+ days of quarantine, plus unknown days sitting somewhere waiting for bureaucrats to decide my fate. I'm less worried about the actual virus than I am scared of the EU's/member state's/USA's response to what seems somewhat inevitable at this point: that this thing gets worse, quickly, before it gets better.

Yes CH can close its borders to incoming flights. As I said, flights are getting cancelled to Italy as we speak.

I’m fairly certain that I could find a way IN… it’s finding the WAY OUT that concerns me.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 441
Size:  875.4 KB

I guess I meant to ack that CH can legally close their borders, they are Swiss after all.

But practically, what does that mean?

Who eats the cost of all the prepurchased tickets/hotels/rebooking?
    We do.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 485
Size:  704.8 KB
    The Hardest Workin' Man in Snow-Business

The current EU stance is to keep borders open:

The European Union is not planning to suspend the Schengen Agreement, not even partially, despite the Coronavirus outbreak all over Europe now, with a number of about 280 persons touched by the virus in Italy alone.
    The EU officials believe reintroducing border checks will not contribute anyhow to the slowdown of the virus spreading in Europe, but it would instead turn the countries into “lazarettos” as the Italian Primer said when asked whether Italy would shut down borders as a prevention measure.
    “Suspend Schengen? But what do we want to make of Italy, a lazaretto?!” he sarcastically told journalists on Monday during a press conference.
    “This is a draconian measure that does not meet the needs of Italian citizens in the field of containment of infection,” he added, regarding the suspension of the Schengen Agreement.
    So far, new cases have been detected in Croatia, Spain, Switzerland, and Austria, today only. Despite that the latter had warned it would consider reintroducing border checks with Italy, instead, they have only tightened airport border controls.
    The Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz announced that Austria would introduce more strict controls, which did not amount to the reintroduction of border checks.
    “As far as the borders and cross-border traffic are concerned, we will proceed as follows: we will further tighten warning systems with our neighbours; [and] we will immediately order a stop in the event of suspected cases, as happened last night,” Kurz said on Monday.
    Whereas in a meeting held by the EU Commission in a bid to boost global preparedness, prevention and containment of the virus, the Commission decided to allocate an amount of €232 million, in this regard.
    “As cases continue to rise, public health is the number one priority. Whether it be boosting preparedness in Europe, in China or elsewhere, the international community must work together. Europe is here to play a leading role,” Ursula von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission said upon the meeting.
    Whereas the EU Commissioner for Crisis Management and European Emergency Response Coordinator Janez Lenarčič said the aid package will support the World Health Organisation and target funding to ensure countries with weaker health systems are not left behind.
    “Our goal is to contain the outbreak at a global level,” he said.
    In the last four days, the number of people detected containing the Coronavirus in Italy has gone over 280. So far, seven cases have resulted in death, all of them elderly persons.
    So far, ten towns in Lombardy and one in Veneto are under lockdown, with some 50,000 residents prohibited from leaving. Regional authorities have ordered gathering spots, such as bars, restaurants and discos to close.

My flight lands @ CDG; guess I'll head to La Grave if CH closes it's border.

I'm both in/out of Zurich. Still planning on that and the same circuitous route in between ending up at Mt. Lodge. Keeping an eye on the news, however. I had things set up to ship skis rather than take with me, but scratched that as this news developed. I didn't want to have the trip blow up and then have my skis stranded in Zermatt.

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    I wasn’t going to be the guy to pop this convo’s cherry, but I will certainly chime in now. Likelihood of my gig getting cancelled is 80-90% at this point. I’m supposed to be going Germany->swiz->Milan... not an ideal itinerary given the current conditions.

Needless to say that if I have to cancel this.... I can’t even talk/type about it yet; still in grief stage #1.
    You have so many variables that this might not help you, but I read on another forum today that some airlines were changing flights to/from Milan to other airports gratis on request. If you found out your work gig was cancelled and if you still wanted to go, maybe you would be able to change your flight back to the US as out of Zurich, Munich or something else that kept you out of northern Italy.

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

Enjoy the turns this year fellas and please give Vendul our warmest salutations!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5917.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	317862

Huh. I've been wondering about this myself. Flying into Zurich and supposedly out of Paris, but not sure what's going to happen border wise. And as an AZN, I'm sure I'm gonna get the stink-eye and a wide berth from others, even though I've never been to Wuhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Huh. I've been wondering about this myself. Flying into Zurich and supposedly out of Paris, but not sure what's going to happen border wise. And as an AZN, I'm sure I'm gonna get the stink-eye and a wide berth from others, even though I've never been to Wuhan.
    whatever you do, don't cough or sniffle.