Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Getting laid off blows

Total blindside...sucks...that is all.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Sorry to hear that Mang. Hopefully your not in your fifties, as getting employed at my age is tough, hence why I am self employed now. Hopefully, you can ski the season out and go back to work in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yup. When I got let go from my long time job on 12/1/15 there was no notice at all. I tried to find something good for a while after that but gave up after a year of finding nothing better than ~$10/hr with shitty hours. Yeah what liv2ski said is a real thing, nobody wants a 50 something year old anymore Good luck dude.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mang. Hopefully your not in your fifties, as getting employed at my age is tough, hence why I am self employed now. Hopefully, you can ski the season out and go back to work in May.
    46 18+ years sys admin. Might be time to make the consulting leap.

This is second time in 11 years. 1st time much notice company just went under. This one was weird...I think they are making a mistake, but don't we always when this happens. Life of working for startups. Ugh.

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

Sorry to hear that Pard.

What line of work?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Sorry to hear that Pard.

What line of work?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sys admin. Azure. VMware. Windows..historical data collection software (OSISoft PI). Some light controls. Data center experience.

Last edited by Skidog; 03-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Getting laid off without notice is tough and the situation will get better. The upside of the current labor market is employers are having challenges filling jobs and have been making offers to geezers over fifty like me. It is OK to leave dates off of your resume and keep the recruiter guessing to get an interview.

Been there,

Demand for sysadmins seems to be very high. You should not have much trouble finding another gig
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Sorry to hear that SDog. Sounds like your resume is strong. A friend in a vaguely similar situation did well as a consultant. Hang in there.

I know laid off means not fired, but it still feels weird when it happens out of the blue. I been with this company for 6 years and have some select knowledge that no other team member has. I don't see how they will fill the void. My guess is that those involved in the decisions with the new investors didn't really explain clearly what my position entails. It was strictly a money decision. Not at all performance based.

My boss has agreed to give a recco letter that clearly states downsize/layoff not performance. Semi decent severance. Will likely now be pushing the move back to NY up rapidly as I don't see the point in getting an SLC based job for a short period of time. Will look for other remote work, but don't know that this isn't just a pipe dream. I have gotten used to working from home. I feel I work much more efficiently.

I'm sure it'll all work out. Maybe I'll revisit that voice over thread I started long ago and try something new?

Thanks again. This place is always good for support even if some/most think me an asshole 😀

Most posters here in the past have been pretty stoked to take a funployment vacation to where ever the pow is or the surf is pounding. Europe, Bali, etc.

I don't think the perception is that you're an asshole. A little prickly sometimes, okay maybe. What's the voice over thread? I don't remember it.

Good luck mang and listen to mecc^^^ and do something fun for a while, don't just sit around worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Sys admin. Azure. VMware. Windows..historical data collection software (OSISoft PI). Some light controls. Data center experience.

You've got high demand skills. Good luck! But dont think you'll need it

If you have an inkling that you can make it in the consulting world working for yourself, go for it. Don't look back.

Now that I own my own business and work for myself, I'll never (knock on wood) do it any differently. I spent 15 years in corporate America and made it through several layoffs, and realized there is absolutely no loyalty on either side. The only way you can be sure you'll be employed is when you control your own destiny. Sure, it's going to be an adjustment to lifestyle and the way you organize your finances, but it's SO worth it. Fuck the man.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't think the perception is that you're an asshole. A little prickly sometimes, okay maybe. What's the voice over thread? I don't remember it.

Good luck mang and listen to mecc^^^ and do something fun for a while, don't just sit around worrying.
    Voice over wasn't a long thread. I just asked once if anyone here knew anything obviously, in true tgr form, there was indeed some in that biz. One even offered studio use. I don't think it's anything special, but complete strangers have come up to me and said shit like "you should be in radio or voice over".

IT work is probably where I'll land short term. It's not my "passion" by any means, but I know wtf I'm doing so it's comfortable. Aside from skiing I'm pretty risk averse.

I don't see how they will fill the void.

The Graveyards Are Full of Indispensable Men.

I don’t see age as a restriction if you are good at your job. Sysadmin skills are in high demand. Maybe take a course in the latest protocols.

I had to think about this for a bit.

My company might be looking for someone, we are all remote but sometimes need to work onsite in large contact centers.

Right now one of the places happens to be in "Sandy Utah"

Would you like me to make an inquiry on your behalf?

Our prime DBA lives in Ogden
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

best o' luck dog

46 18+ years sys admin. Might be time to make the consulting leap.

This is second time in 11 years.

Very few regret being their own boss.

hell yeah, it you can bring in sufficient $$, home-based consulting gig is life enhancing vs. W-2 EE

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    hell yeah, it you can bring in sufficient $$, home-based consulting gig is life enhancing vs. W-2 EE
    When I'm off the road and working from my house I eat like a muther fucker. It's bad.

user error

Quote Originally Posted by mecc69 View Post
    Most posters here in the past have been pretty stoked to take a funployment vacation to where ever the pow is or the surf is pounding. Europe, Bali, etc.

Brilliant financial advice now that the paycheck spigot has been turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Brilliant financial advice now that the paycheck spigot has been turned off.
    Good point. Make sure you map out the places with free breakfast buffets before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Good point. Make sure you map out the places with free breakfast buffets before you go.
    I think Benny is angling to sell his research on this important topic.