Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new bars: 31.8 or 35?

Gotta hand it to the bike industry, they certainly know how to reinvent the wheel.

So is 35 going to be the new standard? I know there's no such thing as future-proof in mtb, but I don't want to be the guy who bought 25.4 right before everyone jumped to 31.8.

Also, what carbon bars do you guys like? I've been riding RF alloys for-pretty-much-ever.

Not sure if it will be the new norm or not, but it seems as tho many are spec'd with 35.

I run the carbon RF Next-R 800x35 on my enduro. Pretty solid feel.

i doubt 31.8 goes away. plenty of pro DHers and EWSers run 31.8 instead of 35 because of the added compliance. kinda like how lots of pros run AL rims instead of Carbon rims because they dont like the overly stiff feel of strong carbon rims. And that is pros. Average joes do not need all this crazy stiffness. Not to mention, stems are stems. they are just machined pieces of metal, no real tech there at all so an old (properly sized) stem will be good for years to come.

It kind of already is the new standard.

My thoughts: I like them on my trailbike with flexier front end bits. I went back to 31.8 bars on dh bike due to the converse of that.

edit: carbon bars, I don't do that. It's the one single solitary component that gets clamped around its circumference and it's the one components that if it snaps, really bad things are assured. Ain't worth 50grams. That's me though.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Honest answer? It really doesn't matter. Get whatever you like, and can get a deal on.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Honest answer? It really doesn't matter. Get whatever you like, and can get a deal on.
    This.

you can always cut down a wide er bar and you can see what you like by running lock on grips, just slide them in or out on the bar first before cutting to test
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, I think that's what it'll come down to.

if you do buy carbon bars just please don't buy anything from renthal or easton

And yes you can feel a difference between 31.8 and 35mm of the same variety of handlebar, so I disagree that it doesn't matter. Yes you hands will still fit and yes your fork will turn but they are not the same.

You strong like bull or floppy like jellyfish?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    edit: carbon bars, I don't do that. It's the one single solitary component that gets clamped around its circumference and it's the one components that if it snaps, really bad things are assured. Ain't worth 50grams. That's me though.
    I hear you on that, and was a long time holdout on carbon in general, and bars in particular, but this bike is getting moved into the number two spot which means no big hits.

Weight saving isn't my motivation, it's dampness. And the current bar is on the narrow side. And the price gap has shrunk considerably.

I'm definitely not strong like bull, and am generally smooth enough to not break things (well, except bones, but I'm older and chickener now) although obviously, crashes do happen. But I don't think I'm the guy who breaks a set of bars through stress cycles. And I'm a good enough wrench that I don't over-torque everything.

I dunno... am I barking up the right tree?

if you do buy carbon bars just please don't buy anything from renthal or easton
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Why?
    I've seen people break more of those two brands than any other. Who knows about shitty mcgee's catalog put your sticker on bars that tons of other company's sell but those two in particular I've seen a lot of.

Carbon's weird, riding hard and crashing frequently obviously make things worse but you can literally start a problem just by tightening up a break lever on the trail with your multi-tool. It's a personal thing with me. There's nothing worth helping along that kind of crash over aluminum bars (which no one ever even brings up proper torque with because it's not as touchy)

HERESY!!! LET US BURN THIS NON BELIEVER!!!

I’ve been very happy with RF carbon, have 31.8 on the 55 and 35 on the steel hardtail, not sure I can tell a difference, but certainly the ones of the full suss (31,8 RF SiXC) which are greater than 2 years old and have been beat to shit, smashed here and there and had varying amounts of torque from clamps applied and have been ship shape and solid af.

Well designing the flex of a 31.8 bar into a 35 bar is kind of the new thing, look at OneUP, WeAreOne, and VitalMTB tested this thing and seemed to really like it Fasst Flex Enduro Handlebar. It's fast with an extra s AND enduro so it must be great.

While I've never had any complaints with the 35 RF SixC bars, I think I'm going to try the WeAreOnes on the next build.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Well designing the flex of a 31.8 bar into a 35 bar is kind of the new thing, look at OneUP, WeAreOne, and VitalMTB tested this thing and seemed to really like it Fasst Flex Enduro Handlebar. It's fast with an extra s AND enduro so it must be great.

While I've never had any complaints with the 35 RF SixC bars, I think I'm going to try the WeAreOnes on the next build.
    1) they don't come in red
    2) it's the return of the elastomer!!!!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

And yes you can feel a difference 31.8 and 35mm of the same variety of handlebar, so I disagree that it doesn't matter. Yes you hands will still fit and yes your fork will turn but they are not the same.
    They're not the same, but the stiffest bars I've ever ridden were still 31.8 (those vibracore things - fairly brutal on my hands). So it's kinda hard to know what's what until you try it. Which is why it doesn't really matter.

I have had Flexx bars on my motos for several years now and my experience is exactly the same as that of the reviewer. The best thing is being able to set up the forks a little firmer because the bars take care of smaller stuff. Of course the moto bars move over an inch. I doubt the mtb ones do that.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    VitalMTB tested this thing and seemed to really like it Fasst Flex Enduro Handlebar. It's fast with an extra s AND enduro so it must be great.
    Just wow.

That's a new option to the light/strong/cheap equation... pick none!

@climberevan, I can totally see how they could work for moto with significantly higher forces, power, weight, and engine vibe. For mtb, I feel like they're a way to separate dentists from their money.

I've seen people break more of those two brands than any other. Who knows about shitty mcgee's catalog put your sticker on bars that tons of other company's sell but those two in particular I've seen a lot of
    I wonder if that's because they're some of the more popular (commonly seen) carbon bars or if they truly are more fragile.

I've had several Easton carbon bars - I did crack one early one, circa 2003, but then I bought a torque wrench...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I wonder if that's because they're some of the more popular (commonly seen) carbon bars or if they truly are more fragile.

I've had several Easton carbon bars - I did crack one early one, circa 2003, but then I bought a torque wrench...

Nah. I've personally only seen one sixC carbon bar snap off at the brake lever. The dude was fucked up but those things are everywhere too. My miniscule totally not scientific method of "things I remember" has those towards the top. I think they know they're going on dh bikes so beef them up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    (those vibracore things - fairly brutal on my hands).
    Well that makes total sense.

Nice work spank

Well that makes total sense.

Nice work spank
    Apparently filling a tube with fairly stiff foam makes that tube even stiffer. Go figure.

I’ve been happy with Santa Cruz Carbon bars, but I don’t have too many data points apart from a few demos and my own set of bars.

On some stiffer-front-end bikes, I think 35mm diameter without carbon can be too stiff and harsh up front. I like the vibration damping of carbon bars.

Re: weight, I do think the weight savings on the front end of the triangle is noticeable because it affects the moment of inertia when the bike is rotating around the center of mass - it’s basically the furthest point away from the center of mass. Probably not a big difference if you are riding aggressive DH and properly weighting the fork, but noticeable if you like to pop and play by taking the weight off the front a lot. And if you have weak ass arms like me!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell