Page 263 of 521 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, in this day and age things are often coming from the same factory and the only difference is the label. Regardless, it's probably not worth spending any money making this bike lighter. If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.
    I think it's more like they come from the same factory and the ones that pass top tier quality control get a name brand sticker on them. The rejects that are still ok-ish get sold as no-names for cheap. So they're sort of the same thing, but not really.

Is there a used bike shop in your area?

The used bike shop near me has a bin of used carbon forks to pick thru for the same price you’d pay for a no-name off eBay….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.
    Karate Monkey fork and the braze-ons can be used for 'extra' weight.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Is there a used bike shop in your area?

The used bike shop near me has a bin of used carbon forks to pick thru for the same price you’d pay for a no-name off eBay….

Yep. Just make sure to use your handy at home ultrasonic tester to check for crash damage on that used carbon fork.

I didn’t realize used bike shops existed anymore

So....brake pad compatibility.

Can anyone confirm that non-finned Saint/Zee pads are compatible with Deore/SLX/XT/XTR 4-piston calipers? It looks like they are, but product descriptions for Shimano Saint/Zee pads don't list the newer 4-piston offerings as compatible - but that could be lack of updating, not lack of compatibility. Truckerco product description does list them all as compatible.

Finned versions have different shaped fins than Saint/Zee finned pads and obviously won't work.

Thanks! Want to make sure I can actually get my hands on pads before buying any new 4-piston brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So....brake pad compatibility.

Can anyone confirm that non-finned Saint/Zee pads are compatible with Deore/SLX/XT/XTR 4-piston calipers? It looks like they are, but product descriptions for Shimano Saint/Zee pads don't list the newer 4-piston offerings as compatible - but that could be lack of updating, not lack of compatibility. Truckerco product description does list them all as compatible.

Finned versions have different shaped fins than Saint/Zee finned pads and obviously won't work.

Thanks! Want to make sure I can actually get my hands on pads before buying any new 4-piston brakes.
    Yup, they work.

TRP pads are also the same shape if that helps any.

Anyone have issues with their 1up rack getting stiff arms? I have a 3 spot and a couple of the 6 arms are getting really cranky going up and down and the red lever mechanism that locks unlocks the arms seems to be wonky with them too, tried some penetrating oil, not sure if that’s the best - commence argument about different types of lhbrication. Live in PNW if the climate factor means anything to anyone
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I used bike lube and cycled them a bunch. Worked great

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I have a older 1UP that has the non serrated bars that the red lever slides on. After lubricating them I did have the rack loosen itself up a couple times with bikes in it. No idea what I used for lube but it scared me off from ever trying that againm
    Last edited by John_B; 12-01-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anyone have issues with their 1up rack getting stiff arms? I have a 3 spot and a couple of the 6 arms are getting really cranky going up and down and the red lever mechanism that locks unlocks the arms seems to be wonky with them too, tried some penetrating oil, not sure if that’s the best - commence argument about different types of lhbrication. Live in PNW if the climate factor means anything to anyone
    I seem to recall having that issue with an arm, and that I slightly loosened the mounting hardware to fix it? Memory’s a bit hazy on that though, and I could be smoking crack

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Have you tried submerging it in melted wax?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I used bike lube and cycled them a bunch. Worked great

Yup. I used some old muc off dry lube I had laying around (since that trash is not meant for actual bikes ) and the stiffness/creakyness went away and never came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yup. I used some old muc off dry lube I had laying around (since that trash is not meant for actual bikes ) and the stiffness/creakyness went away and never came back.
    Good stuff all. Will try.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I seem to recall having that issue with an arm, and that I slightly loosened the mounting hardware to fix it? Memory’s a bit hazy on that though, and I could be smoking crack
    This was my solution. The button head that goes from the latch lever to the wheel arm seemed to tighten itself, so I Loctited it at a slightly loose setting and it's been good since then.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This was my solution. The button head that goes from the latch lever to the wheel arm seemed to tighten itself, so I Loctited it at a slightly loose setting and it's been good since then.
    ^ I had the same thing, but only on the left-side arms. Loosening them occasionally has been working, will hit it with Loctite next time!

Anybody on the new Canyon Spectral 29? Super tempting, it’s my perfect build (36grip2 w/XT) 160/150r, progressive suspension and geo. Reviews seem really good too, not a plow sled but can go plenty fast. Interested to hear if anybody has one or has experience with Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Anybody on the new Canyon Spectral 29? Super tempting, it’s my perfect build (36grip2 w/XT) 160/150r, progressive suspension and geo. Reviews seem really good too, not a plow sled but can go plenty fast. Interested to hear if anybody has one or has experience with Canyon
    Friend of mine has one. Parts spec is very nice - what you listed, and DT hubs, good Maxxis tires. I haven't ridden it as it's too small for me.

Canyon has something of a reputation for warranty issues (as in, nothing gets covered), so YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Picked up a fatbike frame I’m going to build hopefully with a decent amount of part bin stuff. I have an eagle rear der and shifter, if I get a micro spline eagle cassette and the proper cranks ( 190 hub) will this work? You don’t see a lot of fat bikes with eagle so wondering if there is something I’m missing.

I also already have a race face turbine 190 spindle ( still need the crank arms). Do I need to flip the front cog? No? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Picked up a fatbike frame I’m going to build hopefully with a decent amount of part bin stuff. I have an eagle rear der and shifter, if I get a micro spline eagle cassette and the proper cranks ( 190 hub) will this work? You don’t see a lot of fat bikes with eagle so wondering if there is something I’m missing.

I also already have a race face turbine 190 spindle ( still need the crank arms). Do I need to flip the front cog? No? Anything?

Eagle needs an XD driver on the hub. Micro spline is shimano.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I have a older 1UP that has the non serrated bars that the red lever slides on. After lubricating them I did have the rack loosen itself up a couple times with bikes in it. No idea what I used for lube but it scared me off from ever trying that againm
    Same: 2012 vintage with smooth bars. I just hose it out occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Eagle needs an XD driver on the hub. Micro spline is shimano.
    Aren’t the lowest end sram micro spline?

No, they are hyperglide, which is 11 speed (and under).
    Basically old-school shimano.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Aren’t the lowest end sram micro spline?

The low end sram cassettes are standard / hyperglide. The only thing that uses microspline are the 12 speed shimano cassettes.

Ask the experts

This is why I come here…. Smarter then I, and saved me cash…. Thanks fellas.

Back to square one, which is unfortunately more stuff to buy.