Page 18 of 122 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Another story about the possibility of the border opening in June. I thought this was interesting:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...6-b1a1d3b56c64
    webadvisor does not like that link! ha

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Wang until '93. The good doctor got some nice start up cash when he sued big blue for theft of ideas. His son didn't have the same smarts and led us into chapter 11. I came out of the shemozzle with some cash and a nice 6 months of vacay to look after the kids and recharge.
    I JUST made it to the DB pension by 3 months and I havent worked in 16 yrs, if i can keep breathing til 90 I will be a millionaire ... one month at a time

I always say working for IBM was like the Rodeo, when the gate opens you ride to bell and there is a whole lot of bull inbetween,

got the #2 pfizer today, totla non event, not gona whine like them other pussy's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    got the #2 pfizer today, totlal non event, not gona whine like them other pussy's
    The 2nd shot made my wife pretty sick for a day or two. Me, nothin? So hopefully you're doing well tomorrow. O and keep that border closed until the end of Sept would ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

But Harper was in power, albeit two terms minority, for 3 terms. He certainly kept the social cons under check. The Liberals were in the wilderness for a lot of that. I think your over estimating how liberal Ont and Que are. They are not extreme and would agree that the present Con party social cons are not that electable and that the Cons are shooting themselves in foot. But not to far left might be a sweet spot. Remember the Ont Lib sex ed roll out. The Libs had expected backward white cons and got enraged POC. Who is in power in Ont? Who is in power in Que? the party that had to use the not withstanding clause.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

the CAQ, they're social conservative caq-suckers. pro-industry / anti environment.

this is their signature achievement so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_su..._l%27%C3%89tat
    this is what they are hoping it will be: https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-new...tation-report/
    "no institutional racism in Quebec" https://montrealgazette.com/news/pre...ism-protesters

but the perception is that they did a good job during covid and will thus be spared from being replaced in the next election.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Harper did keep control of his caucus, his downfall IMO is that he wanted to change canada into america, I think if he stayed more to the middle he could still be King but he fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Harper did keep control of his caucus, his downfall IMO is that he wanted to change canada into america, I think if he stayed more to the middle he could still be King but he fucked up
    I think that is the emotional view of Harper. His time had come. 3 terms and things pile up. Uncle Jean made it 3 terms and I think was much more successful than harper, but still his party imploded after he left. The longer the term the bigger the fall at the end. Look at NB. Hatfield was in power when I was in elementary, Junior high, HS , University , 4 years on west coast and then lost when I was back in NB November 11, 1970 – October 27, 1987. In his final election he lost every seat. 0, every seat was won by Libs.

Now if Justin wins again the election after there will be a lot of baggage. Esp if it comes out in this election he has actually separated from wife. The female vote is important to him. Rumors are that he is a cheater so eventually that will hurt his female numbers. He has had a lot of scandals that people have over looked as there was no alternative. If oToole is able to motivate his social con base to STFU he might have a chance.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Now if Justin wins again the election after there will be a lot of baggage. Esp if it comes out in this election he has actually separated from wife. The female vote is important to him. Rumors are that he is a cheater so eventually that will hurt his female numbers. He has had a lot of scandals that people have over looked as there was no alternative. If oToole is able to motivate his social con base to STFU he might have a chance.
    Having spent some time in a former life in Ottawa in the staffer scene I can confirm that JT is a philanderer, but I don't think it will even matter to voters - remember this guy survived a blackface photo and numerous ethics violation that together would have sunk a lot of other politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Also Jagmeet is so hot right now

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO_FDg3j..._web_copy_link

See his moves in this pride vid. I've voted NDP my whole life, but if I was a lady sitting on the fence (politically) right now... fuck he's hot.
    27° 18°

If Harper had stepped down, and someone fiscally conservative yet socially liberal had run as the Conservative candidate, there's a good chance they would've won. Harper lost because people hated him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If Harper had stepped down, and someone fiscally conservative yet socially liberal had run as the Conservative candidate, there's a good chance they would've won. Harper lost because people hated him personally.
    A lot of things had built up so I tend to think not and time for a change is a big factor. Also the social guys had had their heads pushed down and were looking for policy that suited them.

Yeah, I get the time for change / pendulum aspect. And I don't even know who that conservative centrist person to take the reins might've been.

As much as anything, it was a comment that JT's resume was zero pages.

he’d been a member of parliament for almost a decade. It would probably be a pretty short list of people who jumped from congress to president, but i wonder how uncommon this is in Canada?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I honestly don't know. I was thinking along the lines of no relevant job or education prior to entering politics, and no Cabinet position after.

Using the last Liberal PM as an example, Paul Martin (whose dad was also a career politician) had a law degree, was a CEO, and then Minister of Finance.

And Chretien's resume was considerably better than Martin's.

Looks like you need to be in the NHL to get to and from Canada. Figured this would be announced once Canadian teams needed to get into the US to play.

Hockey will get this border opening going.

http://bleacherreport.com/post/nhl/0...4-0fa9eb2954ad

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I honestly don't know. I was thinking along the lines of no relevant job or education prior to entering politics, and no Cabinet position after..
    wow, who ^^ does that sound like down in freedom land ?

what did Trump actulay do before being pres but rip a bunch of people off, turn a large fortune into a small fortune, be in the cross hairs of federal & state lawmakers who are now all gunning for him ?

JT did actulay get himself elected in Vangroovy and he was the bouncer at the Savage Beagle

I've actually made the comparison IRL between Trump and Justin vis a vis "name recognition" vs actual substance.

Of course, the big difference is that Justin's heart is in the right place, and that public service is very much integral to the Trudeau brand, whereas the Trump brand is 100% grift.

Trudeau is just okay. I'd love to vote for someone else, but the reality is he's been the best option out of a choice of shit sandwiches the past 2 elections. Jagmeet is smart, well-spoken, and would probably be a good PM but there's no way he's getting elected.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Trudeau is just okay. I'd love to vote for someone else, but the reality is he's been the best option out of a choice of shit sandwiches the past 2 elections. Jagmeet is smart, well-spoken, and would probably be a good PM but there's no way he's getting elected.
    TBH i don't think it's the point of the NDP to get elected. The role of the 3rd party is not really to get elected, but to push the social issues to the forefront and in a minority situation their buy-in is crucial. NDP almost had a chance back in the Jack Layton days though. Still makes me sad.
    27° 18°

Jack layton could have really done some good

Trudeau has been meeting world leaders since he was little kid cuz Pierre would bring them home

whereas Trump has just been an embarrassment to the American people on the world stage

I don't think people care whom Trudeau has been messing around with as long as no laws are broken

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Having spent some time in a former life in Ottawa in the staffer scene I can confirm that JT is a philanderer, but I don't think it will even matter to voters - remember this guy survived a blackface photo and numerous ethics violation that together would have sunk a lot of other politicians.
    I think it would bother me if the messing around was his downfall and not the ethics violations.

While the puritans would say they are the same thing - I don't see it that way. What he does in his private life and on his dime are between him and Mme Sophie. The other entitled politician BS should be what causes his party to replace him - but they won't. The Liberals see themselves as Canada's natural governing party and he has been wining them elections - so he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I think it would bother me if the messing around was his downfall and not the ethics violations.
    I have to agree somewhat but politics is cumulative, shit starts to stick, old stuff that didn't really stick comes up again. Esp if you portray yourself as one thing and are actually another. Though is being a cheat mean your not a feminist? I don't know. I think for women, and I had to ask my wife on this, JT being cheater speaks to his character plus if its hidden esp for a long time it means Sophie had to put her life on hold and keep up appearances. Which doesn't seem very 2016.

Jack Layton.... well there is a very different impression of the man out west than in Ont. For westerns he came out of nowhere and had a clean slate and seemed pretty reasonable. Whereas if you lived in Ont years before and paid attention when he was on Toronto city council he was a nut job. ( also he was caught in a tugjob place)

The NDP are always be caught in a catch 22. Get up in the polls you have to have policies that are grounded in reality to get those few more votes that will get you enough seats to get power. Also prove to the sceptics that can govern well which is not a hard sell in BC or Sask but is in Ont where the NDP rule was problematic. But that starts pissing of you base who don't have a handle on this reality ( my bias) . Look what happened to Mulcair , leading in polls and the left wing of party launches leap manifesto. Its like that some parts of the NDP really don't want to govern. Look at BC NDP. Are they able to do anything or say anything radical? No they have to govern from a rational place. To the right of where they naturally are.
    Last edited by DougW; 06-07-2021 at 12:03 PM.

I will say, despite their bitching, Racheal Notley was the best premier Alberta has had in a long while.

Granted the bar is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I will say, despite their bitching, Racheal Notley was the best premier Alberta has had in a long while.

Granted the bar is pretty low.
    Why do you say Rachel was the best premier in a long time ?

Are you from Nickleback land?

This person claims Nickleback's not so bad

She was the least corrupt and had the best interests of Albertan's at heart.

She was just dealt a shit hand with the collapse in oil prices.