Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

inbounds hardshell recommendations

I spent the last 3 winters in cold places, and I have been really happy riding lifts wearing my Mammut Bormio jacket. Now I'm back in the PNW where skiing in the rain is a real possibility and it's rarely below the twenties. This thing is too warm and not waterproof enough.

I need a new shell for inbounds days. In the past around here I've worn on most days a t-shirt, Patagonia R1 fleece, and a hard shell.

I think I am looking for:

1. Gore-Tex hard shell (I'd consider another membrane but keeping the wet out is top priority, and I imagine something really breathable would be too cold)
    2. Slim fit, I'm 6'2" 165 lbs and I want this jacket to have long enough arms that I can wear under-cuff gloves, in the Bormio this means a size L, I have an Arcteryx size M shell that has arms which are not really long enough
    3. Wrist gaiters
    4. Little or no insulation
    5. Decent ventilation I can open up while hiking
    6. Some kind of bright color, if it's not too much to ask, it seems like color trends are getting more boring lately

What am I looking for?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Norrona Lofoten? https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ki-jacket-men/

Long arms, slim fit, bright colors.

Rather pricey, ~$640 for a coat.

Trew Cosmic.

No insulation or wrist gaiters, but it's kept me plenty dry on typical PNWet days. Oh, and it's more a freeride fit that a slim fit. But it works and like you, I have long arms and it's great for under-the-cuff gloves. Comes in red - but then we'd match.
    Me: 6'0" 185 lbs.

https://shop.grundens.com/shop/jacke...hooded-jacket/

Add the sweater or base of your choice.

Freeride Systems Antero II Plus - Polartec Neoshell

I just picked up a Strafe Cham II. Not technically a hard shell but I hear it's pretty perfect for an every day CO shell. Lots of other good Strafe options too. Nomad is pretty bomber so they say.

inbounds hardshell recommendations

^^^but he isn’t looking for a CO shell

Something with a warranty. Hardshells are expensive and like to delam.

I had a friend who was about your size who I think had that Norrona jacket. Looked pretty good.

I use the BD Mission Shell, which is Gore-Tex Pro and pretty bombproof. It's definitely a bigger cut relative to BD's other jackets, so you can layer under it easily. The hood is huge (fits over a size L Smith Maze, which is pretty bulbous) and it's cut long, but doesn't feel tent-like in size S. I'm 5'9" 135lbs with pretty narrow shoulders and wear S in most outdoorsy/technical/non-shrinking clothing.

I wear Kincos and can get them under the cuffs and cinch down the velcro, and they don't come out. No wrist gaiters, though. Also, the hand warmer pockets can easily accommodate two 12-oz cans each, if that is important to you. Also pretty expensive this time of year though ($600).

Model at left is 5'9" 135lbs and wearing the Mission Shell in size S. Model at right is 5'11" 165lbs (maybe) and wearing some Arcteryx thing in size M (probably).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male models.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	217992  

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    ^^^but he isn’t looking for a CO shell
    +10.

I'm a CO skier. But PNW is totally different conditions. No one in CO ever really skis through rain.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Something with a warranty. Hardshells are expensive and like to delam.
    In a similar vein, waterproof membranes aren't all that abrasion resistant. Either something cheap or with an excellent, no-questions-asked warranty.

Fit is everything, so I recommend you go try on a bunch of jackets. Gore Pro is my favorite PNW membrane, if you're looking for a specific suggestion. Drop the wrist-gator requirement will open up a bunch more options.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    +10.

I'm a CO skier. But PNW is totally different conditions. No one in CO ever really skis through rain.
    True, I apologize. Read OP too quickly.

I stand by the Strafe recommendation though.

Take a look at Dakine stuff. Local to PNW, slim/long cut. Or if you're in PDX area go to the Trew store and try stuff on there.

6'4" and 205 lbs and own Arcteryx, TREW and Patagonia and my absolute favorite coat to date is the Patty Untracked coat (and pants)... Every year I finish my ski season at Bach and my Untracked has handled it all with absolute flying colors... And to boot they have without a doubt one of the best warranties and customer service...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Homeschool vices is the best shell I've tried for PNW conditions. Had it for a couple of years. Bought my wife one this fall and a back up for me because I rarely see it on sale. Wife loves it too.

Do you wear a L in Patagucci? The R1 I have fits great (of course), their thin synthetic puffy fits me like a garbage bag, it's a joke.

Yeah, I'm sure the answer is that I need to go try a lot of jackets on. I know abandoning the wrist gaiters would make things easier, I'm not quite ready to let go of the dream yet.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

I have been rocking Flylow for the past few seasons in PNW (Hood) and they are bomber and super water proof. I am currently in the Higgins jacket and while technically a soft shell it has never leaked on me even in really wet storms. The Quantum is their 3-layer water proof shell. Also, seems like Flylow stuff can always be found for cheap on the internets as well. I think I paid $70 for my Higgins jacket. My only quibble is that their colors have become a but drab the last couple seasons as is the trend that you noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Do you wear a L in Patagucci? The R1 I have fits great (of course), their thin synthetic puffy fits me like a garbage bag, it's a joke.

Yeah, I'm sure the answer is that I need to go try a lot of jackets on. I know abandoning the wrist gaiters would make things easier, I'm not quite ready to let go of the dream yet.
    I do, but at your weight Med would fit no problem... At 6'4" the sleeves are more than long enough foe me at Large.. In the pic I added my arm is fully extended and the mitt I use the cuff is bulky and have no issues with it and the sleeve still has room to extend...

I should also add I am an R1 fan and just as you experienced my Nano and puffs from them are a boxy cut... I have def had a diff experience with my Untracked...

And this year to my wife's dismay I am going full red tomato...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Same size as you. OR White Room Gore-Tex Jacket in M. I ski in colder weather but its a killer jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Also, seems like Flylow stuff can always be found for cheap on the internets as well. I think I paid $70 for my Higgins jacket. My only quibble is that their colors have become a but drab the last couple seasons as is the trend that you noticed.
    Really? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I spent the last 3 winters in cold places, and I have been really happy riding lifts wearing my Mammut Bormio jacket. Now I'm back in the PNW where skiing in the rain is a real possibility and it's rarely below the twenties. This thing is too warm and not waterproof enough.

I need a new shell for inbounds days. In the past around here I've worn on most days a t-shirt, Patagonia R1 fleece, and a hard shell.

I think I am looking for:

1. Gore-Tex hard shell (I'd consider another membrane but keeping the wet out is top priority, and I imagine something really breathable would be too cold)
    2. Slim fit, I'm 6'2" 165 lbs and I want this jacket to have long enough arms that I can wear under-cuff gloves, in the Bormio this means a size L, I have an Arcteryx size M shell that has arms which are not really long enough
    3. Wrist gaiters
    4. Little or no insulation
    5. Decent ventilation I can open up while hiking
    6. Some kind of bright color, if it's not too much to ask, it seems like color trends are getting more boring lately

What am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Freeride Systems Antero II Plus - Polartec Neoshell

Buy my jacket. I'm 6' 2" and 20 lbs heavier than you. Just bought a large to replace the med-tall, which was a shade too tight in the shoulders, but the sleeves and torso fit just fine.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Marmot-gloves

I've been very happy with my BD Sharp Point shell. It's a more, ahem, climbing-oriented fit than some (I'm really glad I went with the large at 5'9" and 175, even if the arms are a bit long), but it sounds like you're a lot more climber-shaped than I am. Lightweight, comfortable, has held up well aside from attracting grease and paint stains more than any other jacket I've ever owned. It's Gore Tex Pro and seems to be completely waterproof while still being pretty breathable (tough to be sure in eastern Montana, though), and it has pit zips. I'd check their outlet online; when they mark stuff down, some of it becomes killer deals.

Oh, and no wrist gaiters, but the velcro on the cuffs seems to be pretty well thought-out; unlike a lot of my other jackets, I've been able to cinch it over gloves pretty readily and have it stay put.

If you're skiing in conditions here in the PNW where real waterproofing is a must, like rain, rain snow mix and 35 F and snowing a coat like I posted is better than all the high priced shit posted in this thread. The rest of the time you can get by with a nice ski coat like anywhere else. Good luck skiing with your Kincos in these conditions, they're great when it's regular winter conditions but not PNWet conditions. Fleece lined crabber or concrete gloves with a coat like that Grunden I posted will keep you dry all day skiing in rain or snain. Just make sure you have a wool sweater or fleece underneath.

I like nice techy outerwear like everyone else but it's not much good in really wet conditions in the Cascades.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I like nice techy outerwear like everyone else but it's not much good in really wet conditions in the Cascades.
    The Alpental Indigenous seem to ski a lot in Helly-Hansen fisherman's gear. There's probably a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The Alpental Indigenous seem to ski a lot in Helly-Hansen fisherman's gear. There's probably a reason for that.
    Hey I'm sure there are others here that have worked on commercial fishing boats in AK and they're not wearing anything techy to stay warm and dry all day when it's 32-35F and raining and snowing. The conditions are pretty similar to a warm winter storm here in the Cascades. Save the Gore and Neoshell for when it's below freezing and snowing.