Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Or you could pay less than $5k more and buy a new Chevy Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Or you could pay less than $5k more and buy a new Chevy Colorado.
    We have a couple ‘21 colorados in the fleet. No way would I put a 1000lbs camper on those pieces of shit trucks. Unless the ‘22/23 models are vastly different, they are nowhere near a typical 1/2ton configuration.

WTB : Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8771.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	419821

The Tundra with bags handles the hard side just fine on backroads and highways. It struggles compared to the hd truck on freeways and in high winds, where it always ends up hunting gears. Keep the speed under 70mph and you’re golden. For the amount of time it’s on the truck these days I’m much happier daily driving the tundra than the PSD. Super duty hauled it with no modifications, just the stock overloads.

The tundra is very capable, you’ll be happy with the rig if you can find a decently priced truck.

Work has changed for us so we don’t get to use the Bigfoot as much in the winter as we used to, so if anyone out there has a hawk and wants a hard side hmu.
    Last edited by jackattack; 06-24-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    We have a couple ‘21 colorados in the fleet. No way would I put a 1000lbs camper on those pieces of shit trucks. Unless the ‘22/23 models are vastly different, they are nowhere near a typical 1/2ton configuration.
    You are right as I kept reading Taco vs Tundra. For apples to apples it should be Silverado vs Tundra.

BTW - I’ll take my Colorado over a Taco any day.

WTB : Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    You are right as I kept reading Taco vs Tundra. For apples to apples it should be Silverado vs Tundra.

BTW - I’ll take my Colorado over a Taco any day.
    If they suit you, all good. Our colorados replaced a couple 2016 tacos. The tacos had marginally better seats for my sciatica but were still cramped in the headroom without the sunroof. They also handled the cross ditches far better due to the clearance front and rear. The colorados come more base trim than the taco, but that is usually a wash for work trucks. Jury is still out on maintenance/reliability on the colorados.

But I still vastly prefer my old ‘03 gen2 taco over either.

But I still vastly prefer my old ‘03 gen2 taco over either.
    ‘03 Taco is 1st gen. I tragically just sold my 04. Even my son cried when it rolled away, and now I’m in the same boat as OP- I need a full-size and would much prefer to get a Tundra over a Chevy or Ram. Even considering a 2022 lease since I have a company vehicle and it won’t get driven much. Mainly just need to be able to fit 2 kids, and haul shit to the dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Absolutely. My 03 Tacoma has a beefed up springpack and carries my 700lbs sled with wood platform deck full time almost like the sled isn’t there (except the centre of gravity and front suspension implications of course). Running the taco without weight in the summer can make my moobs hurt on potholed roads. Upgrade depends heavily on application.
    I put the Firestone bags on my 03 Tundra and it does really well loaded, EXCEPT when lightly loaded now. I air the bags down as far as I can (5 psi I think, barely registering) and it's so much rougher than it used to be.

Well currently my leading contenders are:

2017 Tundra SR5 with 131,000 miles for $28K... kinda drives me crazy that this isn't cheaper given the number of miles but seems to be in line with the current market.

2022 Tundra ST5 TRD Off Road with a couple other little options for $49K. It'll arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Honestly when I run the math cost of ownership for what my monthly payment + maintenance + Insurance + gas is only around $130 more for the newer truck. I'm having a hard time creating an accurate depreciation schedule so I'm kinda leaving that as a question mark. I'd much rather own a cheaper vehicle but I'm not seeing a strong economic argument for it at the prices I'm looking at.

If that truly pencils out to only $130 bucks more what are you waiting for? If that is $130/mo more or $1500 annually. Still think that’s worth it. The new engine/tranny is a question. But it’s Toyota so I’d imagine you’re all good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'd agree. With that pricing, the used car isn't a better financial decision. I think I have a vague misplaced hope that I can find a used one that makes the cost look better. I've just never spent money on cars before so a brand new vehicle makes me a little nervous.

There are some that pop up private party used that look like better deals. Here is one example:
    https://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/d...501912185.html

Sadly this person has been non-responsive. With this many miles I'd assume lower maintenance costs which would make the price difference look a little more substantive. I'll get it sorted and thankfully have a few good leads that cropped up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    If that truly pencils out to only $130 bucks more what are you waiting for? If that is $130/mo more or $1500 annually. Still think that’s worth it. The new engine/tranny is a question. But it’s Toyota so I’d imagine you’re all good.

Thanks for the feedback on this thread. I ended up tracking down a 2016 Tundra with around 70K miles for just north of $30k. Great condition with full dealer service records every 5,000 miles from a private seller who seemed legit. The guy had a trade in offer from a dealer for $30k and KBB had dealer trade in at $30.5. Thankfully it was only a couple hours from home and was easy to pickup. It feels a little overpriced but I'll feel less bad if this gets scratched up than a 2022 model.

I installed the camper. Leaning toward Firestone Airbags with Daystar Cradles and going from there as far as suspension goes. Some 80-20 ski racks for the rear are in the works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tundra.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	422400

That’s a nice fit. Congratulations

Honestly, I think you did pretty good in this market. Sweet rig.

That’s purdy.

Well done!

Envious as I said earlier - in UT 30k only gets you 175k+ hard miles or a branded/salvage title. I've looked at a couple over the past few months that had serious rust or other undisclosed issues once you got under the hood, still a really bad time to get a used truck.

My local toyota dealer called last week with a new 2022 I can get in early September, so looks like I will be going new for the first time ever. Only will have taken 6 months from refundable deposit to delivery and from what I can tell if you are paying MSRP that is considered a short wait. Weird times