Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm intrigued by this binding. Info seems oddly hard to come by.
    Yurpland binding. For buying snowinn, telemarkpyrenees and sportconrad are good retailers, although if 'not in stock' expect to wait, NA pays the non-VAT price
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Claimed advantages over standard pin tech? Obviously other than 14 din heel and light weight?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i have had mine and seen 2 others radicals blow out the cheesy little black screws
    because big dudes puttin weight every step on a hinging heel riser instead of downward on a volcano
    nuff to get me to try a lighter better design
    there's 10 then there is 11
    dude this shit goes to 14
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    dude this shit goes to 14
    But how much more black could they be?

None. None more black.

Let me rephrase my query. Is this the tech binder a big fat galoot like myself can finally ski unlocked?

only a few k on em but so far i'm impressed
    still taking 2 sets of sticks into the hut
    can't put all the eggs in a shiney sleek sexy new baskets
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Anybody with time on these or the 12's care to give an update / review after having had some use?

Thanks

See my brief review earlier in this thread. I finished out the rest of the season on em - no problems at all. Still kept my heels in on the big hucks no problem. Didn't have one single heel release - pretty stoked on that. Woulda been popping left and right in Dynafits. They stayed on my soft snow skis - I still use Radicals on my hard snow skis.

Skied a few days on the demo version of the 12, worked very well, brakes are weak as others have noted, but function very well. Brake on the toe is obviously how it should be done on all tech bindings.

I had just one issue while skiing in chopped and heavy/wet snow, which was that I stepped clean through the heel pins while skiing so that they rested on top of the heel lugs. This may be related to the fact that the demo heels are spring loaded in order to take deep flexes while skiing. I adjusted them down from 4mm to ~0mm and had no further issues.

Probably isolated to the demo versions, but Iīll be getting some 14īs for myself in order to have the heel block preventing this kind of thing. This yearsī heel block is redesigned to better allow sideways release and itīll be integrated into the base plate.

Their site is currently undergoing some updates, so no pix, but hereīs a google translate from italian describing the new binding:

"Last year ATK launched FreeRider14, an attack aimed at an audience more oriented freeride ski mountaineering pure. This attack obviated to the well known problem of tearing of the tip, enlarging the footprint of the attack on the ski and giving the possibility to use from 4 to 8 screws for fixing, depending on the aggressiveness of the skier and the type of skiing.

Nevertheless, a few meters (and unfortunately I am not among them ...), athletes and users ATK continued to 'complain' (so to speak) two things: (i) we want the heel is not hanging because we feel the 'attack very solid but we want even more rigid type track, and (ii) when we jump too high, we happened to break the pin of the heel. In fact this second thing happened only to a very unaccustomed to their athlete jumps (which has broken 5) and Simone de La Mountain ...

On the first point, last year was launched the plate AL05, a block to be placed in front of the heel and screw on the slopes trying to overcome this problem. Unfortunately, the AL05 has the major limitation to alter the release values ​​of the heel (second Danilo XL Mountain, if you put the attack not just go off). Therefore, many people (I for one) have not taken. Danilo, however, always told me (and I imagine it has also called for ATK): if you put that thickness, you seem to have a connection to the track under his feet.

And then the good David has begun to study.

The result are the new plates XL and the new FreeRaider14.

The new plates XL (for RT and Raider12) incorporate a revised version dell'AL05: this, unlike his predecessor, slides sideways and allows you to release without altering the DIN. From what I'm told, this plate gives rigidity to the whole crazy system attack.

The new FreeRaider14 integrate himself thickness.

You say it because then I'm all time to say ste du 'things?

Simple: they called me to tell me the news one evening that I was home. When I hung up, I started to think with a cool head on the commercial impact of this thing.

I called them and I told him. Listen, let me get a second: I who have the plates XL and FreeRider them can not update with this new me or the intercooler look? They had not thought about it and then they took a few days to find a solution.

This morning they called me saying the new plates will have the same footprint of the old (so those who want change in toto, can do so using the same holes) but also that it will be possible to buy the spacer apart and screw (with a little 'of manual) on the plates current. Same thing for the FreeRider14.

I point also speak of costs: the new plates will cost about ten Euros more than the current ones, but maybe in the end will cost the same. The spacer in the aftermarket it will cost less than 20 €. This is because they have invested in some new machinery and molds that will save something."
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

put 40 or so days on these mounted on lotus 120's driven by titans
    these are the drones i was lookin 4
    lighter stronger simpler
    they like to be lubed
    dont like to easily come outta tour mode w/out

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    put 40 or so days on these mounted on lotus 120's driven by titans
    these are the drones i was lookin 4
    lighter stronger simpler
    they like to be lubed
    dont like to easily come outta tour mode w/out
    What part of the binding do you place your lube nipple? Underneath where it rotates? Or somewhere on top and let it dribble in?

Doubt that could have sounded any dirtier.. could have been said by Mr. Subway himself...

Plum thread sparked my interest and these things look fucking dope.

Lindhal, when you remove the brakes does that big horse shoe piece come off as well? Can't quite tell from the pics and videos.

Looks like they'd take a dynafit crampon in those slots, true?

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

Yeah it does. Nice and stripped down looking. 50g less per binding than speed radicals with the brakes removed. Van Halen compatible. Easily turnable with pole. Holds its position (anti-rotation) well while skinning. Kills all competition in that weight class in my opinion.

Not sure about crampon compat.

I've confirmed the rt and their race bindings are compatible with dynafit style crampons, I don't see why the 12 and 14 would be different

Some pics of the new heel block.

Height adjustment looks simple enough, though accessing the adjustment screws seems a minor pita.

Overall very promising looking imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448523398588.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	172404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448523411699.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	172405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448523421310.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	172406  

Edit to add a photo of the toepiece. Think the plastic tip is new, anyway a nice touch as it rests on the topsheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448533723611.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	172407  

The tip on my toe piece is pretty banged up from ski pole tips and boot soles opening the jaws. The anondizing is pretty much gone. The black plastic tip probably looks much better after significant use.

Out of curiosity does this binding have a spring loaded heel that compensates for ski flex like some of the other newer tech bindings like kingpin, beast, ion, vipec etc?

ATK raider 14 DIN binding

No. But its a hell of a lot lighter. Its essentially a better Plum Guide or Speed Radical that can handle charging (higher release). In addition to the higher adjustable release values, the toe springs or clamping force is significantly stronger. No prerelease is gonna happen.

Thanks, I was thinking it was a beefed up version of their race bindings with higher spring rates. I like the metal construction, height adjust and 4x2 screw mounting options up front for versatility, looks like a winner.

Question : Does both toe AND heel have Dynafit Vertical hole pattern??

I have Vertical FTs (that slowly needs replacements) and 4 pairs of skis with inserts so I would be pissing rainbows if I could replace them with ATKs!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Question : Does both toe AND heel have Dynafit Vertical hole pattern??

I have Vertical FTs (that slowly needs replacements) and 4 pairs of skis with inserts so I would be pissing rainbows if I could replace them with ATKs!
    I can measure my pair if you want, donīt know the numbers for dyna, so post the measurements here.

Different pattern. The heel has the same 60x60 pattern as the wide toe pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    I can measure my pair if you want, donīt know the numbers for dyna, so post the measurements here.
    Will try to find a ruler to measure the hole pattern.

And Lindahl, doesnt the ATK have two options, to mount with the 6 hole (old?) or 4 hole baseplate or without it with the tighter 4 hole pattern?

Edit :

I think the hole pattern is : 43mm length, 36 width.
    Dont have dynafits at hand atm so I am not 100% sure if they are the right holes, as there is the holes for Duke nearby.
    Last edited by Meathelmet; 11-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Heel is 60x60mm, toe is 30x27mm (width x length) and 60x60mm.