Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone riding black crows Atris?

Seems like everything BC is making is getting rave reviews and these intrigue me for a playful one ski quiver...and I’m bored as I’m in Michigan snowed in.

They're fun skis. Not chargers but not noodles either. When it's firm out there are much better 108 skis to be on, so not sure I'd want them as a one ski quiver. But it depends if you only chase soft snow or not.

Seems like a fun ski. Kinda like nomad 105, Kartel 108, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    Seems like a fun ski. Kinda like nomad 105, Kartel 108, etc
    much more damp and substantial than a Nomad. I liked them, but wouldn't pick them over my Rustlers. They're like a poppier Rustler, but less stable at high speed or in shitty/choppy/refrozen snow. When trying to shut them down, they have a tendency to skip sideways rather than fully shutting down, where I feel the Rustlers just shut down instantly.

The rustler is also 94 vs 108

curious nomad - which Rustler? 10 or 11, i'm deciding between BC Atris and Russler 11 for a powder ski

The rustler is also 94 vs 108
    No it isn’t. It’s 114.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin@wtco.com View Post
    curious nomad - which Rustler? 10 or 11, i'm deciding between BC Atris and Russler 11 for a powder ski

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    No it isn’t. It’s 114.
    Ah ok...I must have been looking at a different one

I decided on the Atris for fun factor just need to decide which size.

I'm 5' 11" / 180+ pounds and the 184 feels about right. For reference my powder skis are 190cm.

So it doesn’t ski super short?

Isn't that what he just answered? Use the Force, Luke.

Maybe a little... but doesn't feel too short for a 108 ski. Of course my pow skis are 122mm underfoot so it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin@wtco.com View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't pick either of those for a powder ski. The Rustler 11 is not particularly floaty, I think partially because of the forward mounting point. It's a good soft snow ski, but not what I pick on a powder day. If you want a powder ski, get a DPS Wailer 112. Seriously.

FWIW, I wouldn't pick either of those for a powder ski. The Rustler 11 is not particularly floaty, I think partially because of the forward mounting point. It's a good soft snow ski, but not what I pick on a powder day. If you want a powder ski, get a DPS Wailer 112. Seriously.
    I agree, I’m looking at them as a 1 ski quiver to carry on my 2 weeks spend West in the winter.

Atris is fun, they're growing on me. Reminds me a lot of the Praxis Backcountry or dare I say possibly a narrower Protest. Definitely more of a twin tip design that is skied from a more centered stance, than a traditional/directional ski on which you are weight forward and primarily driving the tips. If there's anything soft you can kind of ski it both ways (centered or forward - or backseat for that matter), but as was previously said, if it is scratchy/firm the tips tend to break loose and you are carving more from underfoot. It is pretty much my firm snow to 6" fresh ski. It does nothing exceedingly well but can do everything OK, very versatile. If I had to pick 1 ski to take on a trip I would probably take them, but who only takes 1 ski?! My 2 ski quiver would be Atris + either Protest or Anima

I'm 6' 185lbs and on the 188 is perfect for me. Again, twin-tip like shape so definitely skis shorter than something flatter/straighter, but wouldn't classify as "super short".

On the length note, yeah, I could easily have gone up to 188... especially since SierraSkier and I have a few of the same skis in the same length. But 184 works too.

I ordered the 189 as the straight pull length is @187 so should be perfect for a West 1 ski fun surfy quiver that will still rock the steeps

Your credibility just took a hit there.

Tried the 184 Atrius in a 184 yesterday, mostly firm conditions. same size as Luke, felt the sizing was right on.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post

Tried the 184 Atrius in a 184 yesterday
    Your proof-reading and spelling credibility just took a hit here as well. :-)

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Is the Atris changing besides color and graphics for 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Is the Atris changing besides color and graphics for 2020?
    Not sure, they changed it a bit from ‘18-‘19 to make it more stable and chargier

I dont find they ski short. I do find they ski and feel light. Bought them used and cheap for touring and am happy with them for that, but not sure I would want a pair for an everyday ski with Alpine boots where the snow was regularly firm, as they tend to deflect easily and get squirrly on firm snow. A blast if the snow is the lightest bit soft, however, and a good, predictable ski with a bit of backbone (for a touring ski).

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post

Tried the 184 Atrius in a 184 yesterday, mostly firm conditions. same size as Luke, felt the sizing was right on.

boo fucking hoo.