Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Goldmember... If a 7hr drive is a dealbreaker but extra cash isnt... I bet you could fly out of Spokane. In the end (depending on layovers) it'll probably take just as long as driving to YVR and flying from there and will cost 2x as much.
    I looked at it from Spokane and it's a choice of circuitous routes, takes a fair amount of time, and is around $1,000-1,100. If I did it, I'd probably prefer to drive it. The dealbreaker for this year isn't travel time or money, it's actually time to get away for a few (more) days. I've got too much on the plate for the rest of the season to make it viable so would want to probably plan it out for next year when it can be dialed in early. As it stands, I'd be looking at mid-April before I would get a chance and my wife is already prepared to kill me for being gone a lot this winter.

Edit: Just took another look at flights, out of curiosity. Almost 20 hours to get there and 17 hours return. Cheapest price is now $1,265 round trip. The driving time, from Spokane is almost exactly equal and a hell of a lot cheaper. Not an easy place to get to from here. I'm sure I could do better on the flight planning but this is what came up via Orbitz, just off the cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    : Just took another look at flights, out of curiosity. Almost 20 hours to get there and 17 hours return. Cheapest price is now $1,265 round trip. The driving time, from Spokane is almost exactly equal and a hell of a lot cheaper. Not an easy place to get to from here. I'm sure I could do better on the flight planning but this is what came up via Orbitz, just off the cuff.
    I don't go south all that much and when I do I usually drive, the best thing about the north is that the distance from everything keeps out the riff raff
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^^^ Awesome

Pk at > -30C is a special place, besides it being so fucking cold I had to go in every 3 runs I found the snow is so abrasive and slow I couldnt ski the untracked snow ... had to stay on sloppy seconds or ski a groomer

Yup PK is horrible, cold all the time, snow sucks, nothing steep at all, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just go further north

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't go south all that much and when I do I usually drive, the best thing about the north is that the distance from everything keeps out the riff raff
    Yeah, yeah, happy to be riff raff... I may have to fire up the Oldsmobile and make my way up there later in the spring. Need to figure out a workable schedule.

Riff raff out... or riff raff in, it is a matter of perspective.

GM if you are looking to make a trip of it there is solid skiing nearly the whole way north if you stick to the rockies but you might want to take a couple weeks to get the most of it.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by point_it_downhill View Post
    Yup PK is horrible, cold all the time, snow sucks, nothing steep at all, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just go further north

Back in the day the powder king sign fell down and the former owner didn't bother putting it back up so it was fairly easy to just keep going north but really most people think they will drive off the end of the earth if they venture past kamloops

If they actualy do get up here we see those people wearing insufficient clothing driving cars with worn out allseason tires/no block heater/ bad windsheildwipers/ weak batteries that finaly shit the bed at -25 ... poor general condition

but moose pit is right the distance keeps you in ... I don't get south to recreate near as much as I used to

If you are gona come north make a trip of it and hit skiing along the way AND be aware that up here small hills are often closed 2 or 3 days a week

^^ Thanks, guys. Yeah, I would want to do a good job of planning it out to take advantage of the road miles. Also, for the days that areas are closed, I would have touring gear with me so could make due. And no, I don't drive an Oldsmobile...

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Heard there's been no snow on the ground in Terrace since the beginning of January which is very unusual and unexpected. Was hoping to get up there this year but looks like I'll be moving my plans over to next ski season.
    Last I checked the ski hill wasn't located in the city itself.

edit, I will also add that it's snowed 40cm in the last 3 days up at the hill with more in the forecast. But shit, there's no snow in my yard. Fuck, oh no!! Probably crappy in the mountains though what with freezing level at 400m...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by point_it_downhill View Post
    Well played
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Gary - How is the drive from Terrace to Stewart in, say, March. Does that highway stay open most of the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Heard there's been no snow on the ground in Terrace since the beginning of January which is very unusual and unexpected. Was hoping to get up there this year but looks like I'll be moving my plans over to next ski season.

Sparkletarte I'd be up for a trip up there with you next year.
    that'd be fun, invasion of the Sparks!

I've ditched the idea of going up next weekend. The weather here is so warm and rainy that I'm feeling pretty over winter. I'm on the Mexican beach wagon! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Last I checked the ski hill wasn't located in the city itself.

edit, I will also add that it's snowed 40cm in the last 3 days up at the hill with more in the forecast. But shit, there's no snow in my yard. Fuck, oh no!! Probably crappy in the mountains though what with freezing level at 400m...
    I wasn't commenting about the conditions in the mountains. I live in Vancouver ... I fully understand no snow in the city doesn't translate to no snow in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Gary - How is the drive from Terrace to Stewart in, say, March. Does that highway stay open most of the winter?
    Its open most of winter

^^^Thanks.

My dad was a PK regular in the 80s and gave me his old guitar case a few years back. Thought some might appreciate the nostalgia.

::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

^^^ old school awesome

My dad was a PK regular in the 80s and gave me his old guitar case a few years back. Thought some might appreciate the nostalgia.

Yowsa! When I lived at Tod, Webbie used to rant about this place called Azu.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 03-19-2013 at 10:07 AM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

the weather sucks in revy so we packed up the truck today and drove up to visit my sister in houston. going to ski hudson bay with her tomorrow, then thinking of checking out hankin-evelyn on monday. any other suggestions for touring/slackcountry in the smithers area?
    We will be heading to terrace at some point next week, what's the cheapest place for 3 ski bums to spend the night? stoked to be up here!! definitely checking out the houston nightlife tonight

Quote Originally Posted by powder fiend View Post
    the weather sucks in revy so we packed up the truck today and drove up to visit my sister in houston. going to ski hudson bay with her tomorrow, then thinking of checking out hankin-evelyn on monday. any other suggestions for touring/slackcountry in the smithers area?
    We will be heading to terrace at some point next week, what's the cheapest place for 3 ski bums to spend the night? stoked to be up here!! definitely checking out the houston nightlife tonight
    Wow, bet the worlds largest fishing rod must be pretty damn impressive after a night on the town in Houston. Post photos, post photos!
    Good on ya for making the trek north and west.
    Smithers slack country off the lifts is pretty limited, though there is the 5000 and I know Carpathian has skied pretty much everything ski-able off the Hudson's Bay massif. XXX-er (or angle parking or LHutz esq.) may have more beta for you there.

If you wanted to check out the skiing in the Roche De Boule range at Hazleton (about 45 min west of Smithers, 2hrs east of Terrace) my friends Bill and Laurie have a really cool ranch there and for a very reasonable price you could probably crash at their cool ranch, meet some nice llamas and ski some really cool terrain. Possibly Bill could ski with you. It's an amazing ski area that not many people have hit.

http://www.bulkleycanyonranch.com/Home.html

So are you guys on the total dirt bag budget? Just buying a 1 ride lift ticket @ Shames or going to ski the hill a bit? I would say skiing the hill a bit is a good idea if the snow's good but don't know your group or your goals.
    You may be able to crash at my place (if you're not too picky ). If you're looking for the ski and stay lift tick/accom package:

Terrace ski and stay
    http://www.visitterrace.com/activiti...ries/ski-stay/

www.mymountaincoop.ca

http://www.bulkleycanyonranch.com/Home.html

I thot they^^^ were calling it "The Rocket Chicken Ranch" or did they decide that was too alternative ... too out there ?

In good weather you can get pretty high skiiing up HBM summit the last bit with a boot pack, ski some horrible sastrugi down and then ski down into crater lake which might be ok

Hankin should be good, safe below tree line, in good weather we have been boot packing the ridge up from the day cabin to ski the hut runs

still in recovery G

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Smithers slack country off the lifts is pretty limited, though there is the 5000 and I know Carpathian has skied pretty much everything ski-able off the Hudson's Bay massif.
    Granted HBM slack country is a bit limited. There are options however. It's weird, a lot of the stuff that is a short skin from the hill never really gets skied. There's some nice stuff too! Check out this beauty called the Ice Cooler. Very steep with a roll over to vertical entry. A buddy and I repelled into it in Feb (his gig).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01467.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	796.7 KB 
ID:	135048

Lived in Edmonton for a time in my formative years. Used to see this logo around and my family even planned to go there one year instead of our usual Banff / Jasper trips. Never did make it (and still haven't made it to PK). Thanks for the flashback.

A buddy tells me he read about Azu in one of Yvon Choinards early books, Azu is where Eric Pehota grew up skiing

Quote Originally Posted by powder fiend View Post
    We will be heading to terrace at some point next week, what's the cheapest place for 3 ski bums to spend the night? stoked to
    Apparently Yvon Choinard wrote about Azu in an early book but I have not read it, Azu is where Eric Pehota grew up skiing

be up here!! definitely checking out the houston nightlife tonight
    so we ran into powder fiend at the elliot peak P-lot, they followed us in we took 9a and gave them 9, it was untracked so plenty for all and they left beer on the truck which is good form ... take care of these people terrace!

Easy tour, it started good but by the time we got to the top my feet were hurtin and I was dragging my ass ... not recovered yet