Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Your personal experience is completely irrelevant to Dean as is Core Shots story about his friend.
    No it’s not.

Weed is relatively safe. But for some folks it’s too much.

Just because 90% of the population can smoke all day long doesn’t mean it’s safe for everyone.
    My friend was a fellow smoker. Then he had a bad winter and fucked up his life.
    Who knows. Maybe dean was on psych meds. In my opinion happy pills are way more dangerous than weed.

Sad story. Dean is a legend. Tragic ending.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No it’s not.

Just because 90% of the population can smoke all day long doesn’t mean it’s safe for everyone.
    Who knows. Maybe dean was on psych meds. In my opinion happy pills are way more dangerous than weed.

I know it’s just a magazine article. But if you read that and thought “maybe Dean’s problems were caused by psych meds” you have some bias that you might want to examine.

No it’s not.

Anecdotal stories are worthless, your friend is clearly not Dean. And no one here needs to be mansplained how weed effects people differently. Big duh there. And if you read the story you would clearly know Dean was not on happy pills, he fought getting help and meds. This post is classic CS and why I have you on ignore, WTF.

Maybe I need to smoke weed now and clam down, jesus CS.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I know it’s just a magazine article. But if you read that and thought “maybe Dean’s problems were caused by psych meds” you have some bias that you might want to examine.
    yeah i got the impression the dude wanted nothing to do with psych evals or meds. At least from that article...obviously 1 side, but his ex wife echoed the same that he refused "counselling"

not to derail this thread completely- but there are a lot of lawyers out there (core shot?) who make their living off arguing that their client was detained and medicated unlawfully and against their will (I’m not arguing that this could never happen)

No one can predict the future with 100% certainty (and again this is all conjecture) but an involuntary admission to a psych hospital and medication may have been life saving.

His poor family and the family of the man he murdered will likely be traumatized for the rest of their lives. Based off the details provided the system failed them and him.

While this situation with Dean is unfortunate (to say the least), I'm not sure I'm on board with going back to involuntary psych admissions and mental hospitals like they had prior to the 70's.

I also think that outside of his propensity to fight in his youth, he wasn't threatening anyone with violence up to the killing of Guillermo, so I think you would be hard pressed to get one in Dean's case given the facts presented. Angry, yes. Conspiracy theories, a bunch. But as the sheriff for Teton County mentioned, there were no actionable threats to act upon in terms of arresting him.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    While this situation with Dean is unfortunate (to say the least), I'm not sure I'm on board with going back to involuntary psych admissions and mental hospitals like they had prior to the 70's.
    Just to clarify - involuntary admissions to psych hospitals still happen. Every day. Including where you live.

Some cases are clear cut (like a person just shot someone in a trailer due to paranoia) - most are less so.

Where to draw the line is the difficult question - because as I said above it involves trying to predict the future.

And as you said being paranoid or angry isn’t enough (and rightfully so)

But the same lawyers who would quickly accuse someone of overstepping their power to involuntarily admit someone to a psych hospital will be there accusing someone of not doing anything when an angry paranoid person kills someone.

I think you know what I meant, as in the sense of it is a much more rare occurrence today than in the past. Justifiably so given past abuse.

Dean wasn't going to get involuntary admitted for believing in conspiracy theories or accusing his wife of cheating on him and calling her a whore. Not sure how this ultimately could have been prevented unfortunately without a system with serious unintended consequences.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think you know what I meant, as in the sense of it is a much more rare occurrence today than in the past. Justifiably so given past abuse.

Dean wasn't going to get involuntary admitted for believing in conspiracy theories or calling his wife a whore. Not sure how this ultimately could have been prevented.
    I think we agree. And to say again, before I get flamed by others, this is all being discussed off of details from a magazine article - which is one step above anonymous internet postings in the hierarchy of factual information.

What I see here is somebody who lived with aggression and confrontation and paranoia, so when his tissues and functions deteriorated in a way that made it impossible to properly assess reality, his aggression and confrontation and paranoia ran wild.

Schizophrenia is a scrambling for anyone, but it’s way worse when the perviously healthy person had aggressive violent aspects, so when the mind is fragmenting and disintegrating, many of those fragments are aggressive or violent or conflict-oriented.
    In other words, a nice lady might have the same process of fragmentation, but the fragments of her mind’s patterns are not dangerous, so that disconnected thought-stew that emerges is like wearing weird inappropriate clothes and talking about how God told her the neighbor’s dog is a prophet, and blue lipstick makes apples taste better... With Dean, with his life growing up scrapping in NM and doing gnarly stuff and feuding with people in Alaska and worrying about the environment, when that all cracks up and the fragments rearrange, it’s full of misdirected feuding and fighting impulses and worries about enemies and poisons...etc.

As I’ve said before, between my dad who went through a similar deterioration with a similar but worse end, and worries about my own many head injuries and my genetics, and then also proximity to the people and places involved, this all lands pretty close to me. So much so that I’ve been pretty upset all day after reading that article and now I only have like an hour to ski, and it’s hard to motivate to go do it.
    It’s so sad, and worrisome, to me.

Dean did an avy safety presentation at our college sometime around 2010-2012 and I distinctly remember thinking this guy had something else going on in his brain. Tough situation to go through with a family.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Meth induced psychosis
    Fact, or projection?

just living in AK can drive you fucking nuts!
    happens all the time ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Yeti, hope you got out to ski after all.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    just living in AK can drive you fucking nuts!
    happens all the time ....

There's also the idea that people who are struggling with mental illness are attracted to "end of the road" places. Sometimes they are running away from somewhere/somebody. Or they have fantasies that everything will get better once they arrive at some far off remote place that they attribute some special meaning to. I bet some people do better after moving away from "society". But lots do worse and then they're far away from any available resources that might provide support.

Too busy skiing to read the link.

No idea what happened to dean.

Just relating a personal story.
    Some asshat called me out.
    But otherwise go fuck yourself. I’m skiing again tomorrow.
    . . .

Too busy to read the link. Not too busy to comment multiple times.

Then throw in the classic TGR mic drop trump card: “I went skiing”

You win!

Wish he woulda just gotten some help.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Too busy skiing to read the link.

No idea what happened to dean.

Just relating a personal story.
    Some asshat called me out.
    But otherwise go fuck yourself. I’m skiing again tomorrow.
    Please shut up and go ski, the adults are talking.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    They have fantasies that everything will get better once they arrive at some far off remote place that they attribute some special meaning to.
    Shit, does this mean I'm crazy too??

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    What I see here is somebody who lived with aggression and confrontation and paranoia, so when his tissues and functions deteriorated in a way that made it impossible to properly assess reality, his aggression and confrontation and paranoia ran wild.

Schizophrenia is a scrambling for anyone, but it’s way worse when the perviously healthy person had aggressive violent aspects, so when the mind is fragmenting and disintegrating, many of those fragments are aggressive or violent or conflict-oriented.
    In other words, a nice lady might have the same process of fragmentation, but the fragments of her mind’s patterns are not dangerous, so that disconnected thought-stew that emerges is like wearing weird inappropriate clothes and talking about how God told her the neighbor’s dog is a prophet, and blue lipstick makes apples taste better... With Dean, with his life growing up scrapping in NM and doing gnarly stuff and feuding with people in Alaska and worrying about the environment, when that all cracks up and the fragments rearrange, it’s full of misdirected feuding and fighting impulses and worries about enemies and poisons...etc.

As I’ve said before, between my dad who went through a similar deterioration with a similar but worse end, and worries about my own many head injuries and my genetics, and then also proximity to the people and places involved, this all lands pretty close to me. So much so that I’ve been pretty upset all day after reading that article and now I only have like an hour to ski, and it’s hard to motivate to go do it.
    It’s so sad, and worrisome, to me.
    pretty good explanation, ha. Hope you skied today.

Dementia is a worry for me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Dementia is a worry for me.
    I used to worry, then I got it and now I don’t worry...about anything.

what were we talking about?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    what were we talking about?
    Tits? Trump? Marihuana? Im taking an educated guess here. It's tgr after all.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I thought the article gave plenty of reference to mental health issues. It was well done.

What a sad story.