Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY heated boot bag?

My partner had asked for a heated boot bag for xmas, and after seeing how much $$ these things cost I started thinking about what it would take to make one out of an existing boot bag. Has anyone tried this?

The simplest version I could think of is to just stick something like this into the bag, but 1) this has a pretty low power draw (1A @ 12V vs 7+A @ 12V for commercial heated bags) and 2) you don't have a lot of control over actual temperature at the boot location, which I think would be safer.

It also wouldn't be too difficult to rig something up with a DC heating pad like this and a temperature controller for < $30.

Curious if anyone has thought about this. Obviously there are a few safety issues to pay attention to, but I don't think it would be rocket science to put this together.

I’ve thought about this. You could just get a nice insulated soft cooler and put your warm boots in it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I did this with a Dakine boot bag and a DC pizza warming pad I got from Amazon. It works decently, although you’re only heating one side of the bag. My wife has a real heated boot bag. Nicer, but cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’ve thought about this. You could just get a nice insulated soft cooler and put your warm boots in it

Yes but we are usually sleeping in the car when we are skiing so something that will generate heat on the way to the hill would make for a huge improvement

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=MagnificentUnicorn;6737726]I’ve thought about this. You could just get a nice insulated soft cooler and put your warm boots in it
    /QUOTE]
    I have been using a 50 can soft cooler and heating pad for several years. I didn't have a 12 volt pad so use a 110 volt pad drawing 55 watts (4.5 amps @ 12 volts) and a cheap 175 watt inverter. After experimenting I removed the cover from the pad and wrap it around the front of the boots sitting side by side then pack in my helmet and gloves to maximize contact between pad and boots. I plug it in at home when I get up then switch to the inverter in the car. Works great and end up with warm gloves and helmet as a bonus,

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    My partner had asked for a heated boot bag for xmas, and after seeing how much $$ these things cost I started thinking about what it would take to make one .
    If a significant other said she wants a boot bag I would be asking her if she seen a good one she likes or asking the collective which one is good, buy her the fucking boot bag and be happy you scored a good gift she actualy wants,

before you end up with melted ski boots or a car on fire in one of them there relationship threads
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Subscribing because I have an otherwise perfectly adequate boot bag I’d feel bad throwing out.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If a significant other said she wants a boot bag I would be asking her if she seen a good one she likes or asking the collective which one is good, buy her the fucking boot bag and be happy you scored a good gift she actualy wants,

before you end up with melted ski boots or a car on fire in one of them there relationship threads
    Quoted for truth

Gravity always wins...

ya seriously. It will all be great until you wake up with a car on fire cause of some cob-job. Plus isn’t it easier to just give her what she wants…

I have a DC powered heated car seat cover in the cargo area and set the boot bag on top of that. Better than nothing but nowhere near a fully surrounded thermal compartment like a heated boot bag.

Good enough for me but if Mama ain't happy... NOBODYS happy. Get her a good one...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I mean this is a fair point and I'm not saying I won't get her the real deal, but I just got a little excited about the prospect of a cool project.

Feel free to recommend a favorite brand name bag, I'm just exploring the idea here.

More likely than not I'll be melting my own boots and I'll be sure to document the process for the collective.

I have to agree about the whole wife relationship point. My wife wouldn't want some dirtbag cheapo set up. However I'm cheap and it was just for me so no biggy.

As far as melting boots and car fires are concerned plastic boots heat to 300+F for punches and Intuitions mold at 250 F. Something designed to contact human skin will not be that hot and inverters are well established technology. However to be on the safe side I measured the heating pad temperature by wrapping it around a meat thermometer for an hour and based on that data I use the medium setting providing 90 to 110 F. If I was doing it over I would use and infrared thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    ya seriously. It will all be great until you wake up with a car on fire cause of some cob-job. Plus isn’t it easier to just give her what she wants…
    Not to be run overnight, just while driving to the hill so it can be supervised just in case.

I wouldn't let a brand name heated bag run in my car overnight either... Besides being a fire risk it would drain the battery really fast.

Thinking I'll do this to my own gear instead of hers now but I think it would be a fun project.

I am using a Coleman Collapsible Cube Cooler model 2000013291. This is it at Canadian Tire
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0853685p.html
    I paid $19 for mine end of season sale. I see it for $22.95 on line in the States. If you get a different cooler obviously make sure it is big/tall enough because a ,lot aren't
    Coleman measurements are 14.5x14.5x14.5

$300 does not seem like too much moolah in the world of skiing. Especially if plan on using the bag for more than one season.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

If it’s just for the car ride to the hill, throw the boots under the floor heater. Works just as well. If you’re looking for a bag, I have the snow eagle pro and love it. It’s fucking big - can fit everything for a day on the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just know the boot fitting process was really enjoyable with my other half. Kinda like tugging it with glass in my hand. So if those babies burned, it may be the end of her ski career. And our relationship cause I won’t quit skiing. Ever.

I also think it’s a cool project though and would definitely risk my own stuff. But the floor heaters on high for 20 minutes really works well. Or what about an inverter and a heat gun. I used to use a heat gun all the time for plugs.

Heat gun is too hot and draws too much juice (1500 watts =125 amps@ 12 volts)

I made one last year, still going strong and is fucking awesome. Bought a padded boot bag off amazon and a small ish 110v heating pad with timer and adjustable heat settings. Boots are nice and toasty when I get to the hill. It cost me less than $60.

Kulkea makes a very nice one. All her gear goes into it except for the helmet straps on the outside. Very nice for booting up in a lodge or cafeteria. Very spendy.

As for under the car floor heater vs. Diy bag running during your drive vs. Overnight boot bag heating.... the best is overnight bootbag heating on a low setting. Warm throughout the entire boot. Super helpful for zipfits and four buckle overlap stiff boots; not as crucial for other applications IMHO.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I made one last year, still going strong and is fucking awesome. Bought a padded boot bag off amazon and a small ish 110v heating pad with timer and adjustable heat settings. Boots are nice and toasty when I get to the hill. It cost me less than $60.

Sounds sweet! It seems like this is essential what a heated boot bag is. Do you have a link to the heating pad you bought?

Interesting that this thread emerged. Been thinking about starting it for the past few weeks, but didn't have to time to do a search.

I had the same hesitation on potentially melting my boots. Sounds like there are some good solutions though. Currently have a big insulted bag and am planning on using a heated pad/blanket from Amazon. If someone has a specific recommendation one one that's low-risk and warm enough to get ZipFits nice and toasty, I'm all ears.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Dialing in the temp and time is easy - just experiment. Note that some pads have auto shutoff usually 2 hours

Quote Originally Posted by skier2265 View Post
    Sounds sweet! It seems like this is essential what a heated boot bag is. Do you have a link to the heating pad you bought?

Toberto Heating Pad for Back Pain Relief Ultra Soft 12"x24" Large Electric Heating pad for Muscle Cramps Heated Pad with 6 Adjustable Temperature Settings Auto Shut Off Charcoal Grey https://a.co/d/cOYOmPw

I put my boots on my MAXX boot dryer and crankup the fan while i have breaky
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know