Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter gloves recommendations?

I'm starting another season of winter riding and am looking for recommendations. I've been using the Amazon Ninja Ice gloves for the warmer temps (down to about 25-30) but I'm riding in colder temps than this.

What are you guys having success with? Should I be considering pogies?

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I am partial to Dakine Excursions. I bought one pair a few years ago, they are awesomely warm (the liners are 64% wool), they breath very well, and my hands stay dry. I bought a second pair after a year, not because the first pair was worn, just because they were exactly what I wanted in a cold weather glove, so it was worth having a pair in reserve.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Pogies are hard to beat if you’re riding fat bike in the snow or when it’s super cold, there’s just no way to keep warm without them below zero.

My normal winter riding temps are 10-30 degrees and I’m happy with a sort of modular system. Merino liner gloves with some OR soft shell/leather shells. Keeps me warm enough to start and then I can take off the liners and keep the shells on once my body temp is up and circulation is going.

Or just buy an ebike and put some Moto heated grips on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm starting another season of winter riding and am looking for recommendations. I've been using the Amazon Ninja Ice gloves for the warmer temps (down to about 25-30) but I'm riding in colder temps than this.

What are you guys having success with? Should I be considering pogies?
    Trigger mitts/3-finger mitts, assuming you have one finger brakes.

For instance, an FTP RX3 Pro:
    https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...oducts/rx3-pro
    With the spring liner (index finger is too stiff with the stock liner IMO, even after treating the leather):
    https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...r-rx-pro-glove

I'm sure there are other choices, but the trigger mitt is the key concept.

I made pogies out of car innner tube back in the day for riding dirtbike in rain and snow

Now days I just use ski gloves for riding in winter
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My hands get cold easily. I ride until the snow makes desperate skiing possible. Lobster mitts work well for me. The Pearl Izumi Amfib Lobster is quite warm.

I'm thinking about trying the 45nrth 4 finger gloves. My current main cold riding gloves are Pocs. Pretty warm, pretty good control and dexterity. My main complaints are the wrist cuffs are big and open and kind of let warm air out. Also pretty expensive if you're paying retail.

I really like my PI amfib lite gloves for cool weather but the full insulated ones are a little too bulky with the gel pad in the palm plus the liner isn't attached to the glove and pulls out when you take your gloves off on a ride so you have to fight to get the fingers back in and it's really dumb and frustrating, plus they aren't warmer than the pocs. And the gel pad is really stiff and feels like shit and I don't like pads in my gloves anyway.

I recently got some of trek's gloves to try out- the velocis softshell "waterproof" gloves. I was expecting them to be a little thinner and lighter and more of a spring glove but they seem to be the same as the winter cycling gloves but more water resistant. They're ok, not great. after handling some wet plastic stakes and tape last weekend doing some cyclocross course setup I could feel water in them so not "waterproof." kinda bulky and harder to do things with your fingers, doesn't seem as warm as the pocs. Keep your wrists covered and warmer though.

Light liners plus my old ski glove shells seem to be my current best setup for really cold. Probably should consider getting some bar mitts but I feel like when it's that cold I should just do something else.

Just go with the pogies. Once you have them installed you will wonder why you even asked this question. Can store snacks and spare gloves in them too. I ride with a light xc ski glove all winter long.

Work gloves (like Mechanix) for chilly weather. Pogies when it gets COLD.

I have some warmer bike gloves from Pearl Izumi - they're better than ski gloves because they breathe a little bit more, but my hands will still get sweaty. With pogies I can wear summer gloves and be comfortable.

Recommend carrying some disposable latex type gloves with for emergency use. They'll add enough warmth to get you out of the ride without frostbite.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Great suggestions. For those riding with pogies - which are you using?

For flat bar riding, I just have some ATV pogies. Fleeced lined, work just fine and might have been $25 at a ranch supply type store.

For drop bars, get the neoprene ones from Bar Mitts.

I have a heavy set made by maybe pearl izumi? as my hands run cold. I got these https://www.rei.com/product/179848/4...genklaw-pogies
    for my husband since he runs warmer.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

I have some simple neoprene pogies from Amazon, for mountain bike handlebars (road bar ones are shaped differently). Inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’ve been riding w pogies since the late ‘80s. Can’t recall who made them but cordura w a fleece liner that Velcros on

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Pogies with regular riding gloves. If it is wicked cold then pogies with hand warmers inside.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I plan to put these on my christmas list. They make some great looking bags, and the flat/drop bar compatibility would be great.
    https://7rbags.com/product/pogies/ Bonus: Slava ukraini!

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Great suggestions. For those riding with pogies - which are you using?

Maybe a better recommendation for schindlerpiste, but I got the pricey https://www.45nrth.com/products/cobrafist#/ for a gift, and only wear lightweight gloves no matter the outside temp.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If you ain't looking for chi-chi pogies were really easy to make IME

I turned a section of car inner tub inside out, sewed it shut with fish line, cut a hole in the side to slip my hand thru, I kept the hole open by sewing some electical house wire into the rim, turned it back inside out and strapped it all to the bar

Its hard to find a car inner tube nowdays and actualy they were kind of heavy but If you got some old rubberized rain pants I betcha that would work

IME no lining was needed with just my normal Motorcycle leather riding gloves I could ride 2 hrs in the rain cuz the pogie kept the glove dry and the wind off my hands
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I ride everyday. I just wear old ski gloves or mitts.

Winter gloves recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I did too till I got the expensive pogies and now it’s just a lot nicer for shifting and braking to have that dexterity.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I’m sure they’re nice, if you ride where it’s consistently cold.
    It’s pretty moderate here and it fluctuates between 15-50, within a couple of hours.
    Plus I have a couple of different bikes I ride in the winter, so changing gloves is just easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    This is me. A lot of the days it's multiple times per day.

I am holding out on pogies for a number of reasons, probably most because I hate the way they look. I have very little bike fashion considerations, I run unmatched tires, hardware, I couldn't care less about scratches, etc. etc.

I just hate the way pogies look on a bike.

I may have to break down, although I ride a variety of bikes depending on the conditions so I'd probably need multiple pairs.. which just brings me back to having nice gloves that I use for other activities too.

I also like being able to regulate my temperature a bit by removing my gloves, it can be the difference between sweating or not, especially in my terrain where we have lots of shorter climbs.

Not sure where everyone is located but here in the PNW a lot of our winter riding is not below freezing but usually pretty wet. I just picked up 3 different pairs of black diamond climbing gloves and like them a lot so far. Climbing gloves are great because they are pretty lightweight but also very streamlined and fit snugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    This is me. A lot of the days it's multiple times per day.

I am holding out on pogies for a number of reasons, probably most because I hate the look.

I just hate the way pogies look on a bike.

I may have to break down, although I ride a variety of bikes depending on the conditions so I'd probably need multiple pairs.. which just brings me back to having nice gloves that I use for other activities.
    Who care about how pogies look?
    If you're riding in the winter, you're automatically a freak. Embrace the kookfest. Anyone who gets it is already kickass and doesn't give a fuck.
    Judgemental twerps who don't get it can go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ad47 View Post
    Not sure where everyone is located but here in the PNW a lot of our winter riding is not below freezing but usually pretty wet. I just picked up 3 different pairs of black diamond climbing gloves and like them a lot so far. Climbing gloves are great because they are pretty lightweight but also very streamlined and fit snugly.
    Black diamond?
    Climbing gloves?
    Do tell, product name?

Been riding later into the winter more and more lately; and earlier in late winter/early spring as well.
    Been struggling with cold hands. Testing out new gloves currently. Mebbe just need pogies.
    Last edited by HotSchmoo; 11-12-2022 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Booyah