Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Makes me wonder about pulling the pin on our passes and breaking out the misery sticks this season for the family. The rules might keep changing anyway and xc skiing will help me maintain my sanity. Our town’s off the winter tourism radar.

^^ you have a SS or Revy pass?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Outbreak at LNG Canada project in Kitimat as well (probably workers from lower mainland commuting), but yeah this thing obviously can move fast into more remote areas hence province wide measures.

shop bro trying to order split boards & bindings from the usual places that make the stuff, sez there are NONE to order

my guess is that if you want to recreate this winter and you are lucky enough to see what you need you better buy it before someone else does
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    Active cases in Fernie that are known about. Don't forget how many people travel from Covid hotspots in Alberta to Fernie. Don't be fooled into thinking that we are 'safe' here from Covid. All it would take would be a party of Albertans here in Fernie to change that really quick. Look what happened in Salmo.

I do agree that targeted is best but let the professionals do their jobs...Otherwise maybe there will not be a ski season.

Fernie Alpine Resort is going to stay open until the province tells them to close. Wear your mask, stay out of retail shops/restaurants right now and practice social distancing.

I'm not going to be a mask nazi but I'll make people aware that they are jeopardizing my ski season with a subtle glance by not following provincial protocols.

As far as your ovulation calculator goes. The government does not really let anyone know the real numbers. That calculator is bunk. I work in health care in Fernie. Are there cases? The EVRH would never discuss it and Interior Health just gives regional numbers but yes, I would say, there are active cases in Fernie.
    I looked at the Ovulation Calculator, as it relates to my hometown and you are correct... The calculator is BUNK. My hometown numbers are published and the ovulation calculator is INCORRECT... Thanks gearhunter

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ^^ you have a SS or Revy pass?
    SS. You too?

Active cases in Fernie that are known about. Don't forget how many people travel from Covid hotspots in Alberta to Fernie. Don't be fooled into thinking that we are 'safe' here from Covid. All it would take would be a party of Albertans here in Fernie to change that really quick. Look what happened in Salmo.

I do agree that targeted is best but let the professionals do their jobs...Otherwise maybe there will not be a ski season.

Fernie Alpine Resort is going to stay open until the province tells them to close. Wear your mask, stay out of retail shops/restaurants right now and practice social distancing.

I'm not going to be a mask nazi but I'll make people aware that they are jeopardizing my ski season with a subtle glance by not following provincial protocols.

As far as your ovulation calculator goes. The government does not really let anyone know the real numbers. That calculator is bunk. I work in health care in Fernie. Are there cases? The EVRH would never discuss it and Interior Health just gives regional numbers but yes, I would say, there are active cases in Fernie.
    A lot fewer people coming from "covid hot spots" in Alberta into Fernie than there are people coming from SE BC into Alberta. The challenge of closing that border is that you're not just trying to keep those damned Albertans out, the flow of people is in both directions. Skiing and snowboarding or sledding is a pretty niche activity with relatively few participants travelling to across provincial borders to partake, shopping in Calgary or the Okotoks Costco is a pretty mainstream activity for SE BC residents.

The sooner people realize that the virus is everywhere and what color your license plates are doesn't matter, everyone needs to accept that the mask is required, social distancing isn;t optional and hanging out indoors with a group of people is a bad idea and quit worrying about finding someone else to blame. Follow the rules and driving from Lethbridge to Fernie and home again for a day of skiing isn't a big problem, liftees from Fernie getting together to smoke a bowl after work is probably the bigger risk.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Revy has by far the best Hortons in Canada. What else is there?
    Once Stokers closed, Revy's been dead to me....

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Isn't that what locals want? No more tourists. Ideally ski towns would survive on gofundme.com
    Or logging, or mining, or lumber mills, or CP/CN rail or construction, or national parks, or, or, or. These towns existed before massive ski resorts...

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Revy has by far the best Hortons in Canada. What else is there?
    How to spot Americans....they try and drop a "Hortons" thinking it's local slang for the TimmyHo's.

and "best" doesn't belong anywhere near tim horton's

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAH

I thot he was talking about dr suess ?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Outbreak at LNG Canada project in Kitimat as well (probably workers from lower mainland commuting), but yeah this thing obviously can move fast into more remote areas hence province wide measures.
    the narth was pretty unscathered for the longest time, we have gone from no cases this summer to 8 in ICU in the region either in Terrace or PG right now

the carps i know at the local bar are working site C one week and CGL the next week

before thing got hotter I drove groceries/ hosuekeeping/ prep cooks chefs, drop em at the airport & these workers could be anywhere in the province in the same day

don't need the money so i quit the expediting & hot shot bidness

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    A lot fewer people coming from "covid hot spots" in Alberta into Fernie than there are people coming from SE BC into Alberta. The challenge of closing that border is that you're not just trying to keep those damned Albertans out, the flow of people is in both directions. Skiing and snowboarding or sledding is a pretty niche activity with relatively few participants travelling to across provincial borders to partake, shopping in Calgary or the Okotoks Costco is a pretty mainstream activity for SE BC residents.

The sooner people realize that the virus is everywhere and what color your license plates are doesn't matter, everyone needs to accept that the mask is required, social distancing isn;t optional and hanging out indoors with a group of people is a bad idea and quit worrying about finding someone else to blame. Follow the rules and driving from Lethbridge to Fernie and home again for a day of skiing isn't a big problem, liftees from Fernie getting together to smoke a bowl after work is probably the bigger risk.
    Very good point there is no doubt. I certainly didn't want to single out Calgary in particular and a virus doesn't move in one direction. I'd say that during the height of the ski season there are most likely more people coming into the Fernie area from Alberta and Saskatchewan (S.P.O.R.G.-Saskatchwan Person On Rental Gear) to ski then going in the other direction. There are many, many, many big trucks with sleds that come in from Sask and AB...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    SS. You too?
    Yes. Would hate it for my kids for them not to operate this year.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    In Golden the elementary school is no masks (K-3), and grade 4 and up wear masks all day. I believe the thought is that children that young will not use the mask properly (much like a lot of adults...) and it would be pointless.
    I'm in MT but my 4-year-old in pre-kindergarten and his entire school wears masks all day. So does my 6-year-old first grader. Compliance is not perfect but it's damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by goral View Post
    Are you seriously basing your argument on number of deaths so far? A bit of a logical fallacy don't you think? Restrictions are based on trying to predict the future which is not an exact science but when multiple communities outside the lower Mainland are seeing sudden growth in cases that are not associated with known contacts that raises alarm bells. The evidence does not suggest "meandering", it suggests we are about to see rapid growth. Restrictions now offer the best hope that we can ski in a month...
    I prefer using deaths and hospitalization over cases. Cases has too many variables. How much testing is being done? Who is being tested? Where is the testing done? What labs are doing the testing? What controls are in place to ensure that the various labs are doing exactly the same test? What are the error rates? It goes on and on. I realize deaths is a lagging indicator but until a lot more data is provided about the testing I don't trust it. Or more to the point -- I don't trust how it's reported.

Somehow there's this perception that every stranger in town is infected and will infect all the virgins. Then end up in the town ICU.

This current health order isn't going to expire December 7th. If things get better then some restrictions will get lifted. It will be very gradual. I do appreciate that Dr. Henry was trying to narrowly restrict activities to what was causing outbreaks.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I lived in Sparwood for 10 winters and it is 15 minutes from the Alberta border between Alberta and Fernie. I'm not saying which province is sicker but will say Friday night and Sunday evening the highway was a gong show with Alberta drivers.
    I no longer live there and hope my local non-destination hill is minimally effected. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by goral View Post
    Are you seriously basing your argument on number of deaths so far? A bit of a logical fallacy don't you think? Restrictions are based on trying to predict the future which is not an exact science but when multiple communities outside the lower Mainland are seeing sudden growth in cases that are not associated with known contacts that raises alarm bells. The evidence does not suggest "meandering", it suggests we are about to see rapid growth. Restrictions now offer the best hope that we can ski in a month...

There are active cases in almost every community in the Kootenays and my suspicion locally is that we will see a bump in cases this week as I think we have had some community spread in the past week.

Rural communities with lots of tourism are very high risk for large outbreaks yet we don't have the health care capacity to manage these outbreaks. Ten extra sick patients, or a half dozen staff off sick is a big deal in my ED/hospital, less so in a bigger centre. It isn't just health care - other essential services are more tenous too. If you live in Calgary and the grocery store shuts down due to an outbreak you drive 5 minutes to the next one.

I understand that this sucks - we all want to ski - and some industries are being affected more significantly than others. Yes we could break the rules individually and we will almost certainly be fine. This is a population wide problem though where every individual decision does add up and help the big picture. Is it seriously that hard to take some social responsibility?
    I also think that shit is about to get real

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    I prefer using deaths and hospitalization over cases. Cases has too many variables. How much testing is being done? Who is being tested? Where is the testing done? What labs are doing the testing? What controls are in place to ensure that the various labs are doing exactly the same test? What are the error rates? It goes on and on. I realize deaths is a lagging indicator but until a lot more data is provided about the testing I don't trust it. Or more to the point -- I don't trust how it's reported.
    I thought the most accurate (and non-lagging) indicator of disease trend was the percentage of tests that are positive. That and testing of fecal matter at the sewage plant. That'll tell you exactly what's coming in a few weeks.

As we have recently discovered in Montana, there are only two kinds of places in the free world: Those with high Covid numbers, and those that will have them soon enough. You can't stop this shit unless you're waaaay out in front of it, and that just seems to run contrary to human nature.

Not on the radar yet but word on the street is that Revi has a big cluster of cases. Not good, not good at all.

Not on the radar yet but word on the street is that Revi has a big cluster of cases. Not good, not good at all.
    By "cluster of cases" do you know of more than the 2 restaurants closing while they quarantine? Preventitive measures that i havent heard of any positive cases. Apparently the mica village cases were contained and put to bed.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I may have old or bad intel. Apologies.

All I can say is.... brrrraaaappppp to freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    All I can say is.... brrrraaaappppp to freedom.