Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    that trofeo binding is great. i love it on my skinny skis and the gf has it on her 100 underfoot daily driver. no problems or complaints from either of us 100+ days in.
    And you don't miss the second/higher riser height?

the only thing that really concerns me is the boot cuz they don't make Vulcans anymore,

probably the Atomic Hawx 130 or the Technica ZG pro would fit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm building out a 50/50 setup right now and I think I am going for this:

Atomic Bentchetler 100
    Shifts
    Salomon QST Pro 120 TR

If Lupos fit my feet right I would probably go there because I like three piece boots.

What would your touring setup consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Amazing. I'm going back and forth between the Trofeo and the Raider. Just can't get my head around the one low riser. Moved from a STFU skin track state to a STFU skin track state and think my achilles will want the second higher option. But 145 is hard to argue with.
    Add a secondary riser by using a cut down Voile splitboard riser. That’s effectively what I did. I made a homemade one with cutting board plastic and a Ti rod. Comes in at about 14g, so 125g for a high riser binding (used the ATK/Helio 110).

Scarpa F1
    Dynastar Mythic Pro 184
    Pomoca Skins
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Ok,

Katanas, pomoca, mtn bindings, zero g guide pro

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Right now?

I'd get Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros, Blizzard Zero G 105's, Atomic Backland Tour bindings with leash, and G3 Alpinist+ Universal skins.

In about 5 months I'd decide I need something lighter for spring and summer and get the new Backland Carbon, Blizzard Zero G 95's, Black Diamond Helio 145's (or ATK Trofeo), and G3 Minimist Glide skins.
    You are seriously my Azn clone

Wouldn't change what I have:
    Maestrales(orange)
    Voile Hyper Vector BC and Voile Charger BC
    Speed Radicals
    Pomoca skins

Put this together last year and haven't found any of the trad tours around Tahoe where I was held back by the scales and absolutely dominated low angle approaches and runouts. So, I wouldn't change but curious on how Alien RS would be Hmmm...........

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Wouldn't change what I have:
    Maestrales(orange)
    Voile Hyper Vector BC and Voile Charger BC
    Speed Radicals
    Pomoca skins

Put this together last year and haven't found any of the trad tours around Tahoe where I was held back by the scales and absolutely dominated low angle approaches and runouts. So, I wouldn't change but curious on how Alien RS would be Hmmm...........
    Sorry to drift thread but can you compare new Vector to the old ones you have mounted tele.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Add a secondary riser by using a cut down Voile splitboard riser. That’s effectively what I did. I made a homemade one with cutting board plastic and a Ti rod. Comes in at about 14g, so 125g for a high riser binding (used the ATK/Helio 110).
    Pictures??

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Sorry to drift thread but can you compare new Vector to the old ones you have mounted tele.
    Well I guess the main difference is weight as my Vector BC tele is about 6-7# heavier as every piece is heavier including the skins. As far as skiing them my tele version is I think 2012 and has a bit more rocker and actually does well in powder and corn too. My wife has a pair too and early on we had some amazing tours especially big car shuttles. As far as my new ones, to be honest we had big storms kinda early on so it went from not much terrain to deep heavy snow and I used my Charger BCs most of the season. I did get a few days late season on corn and mixed corn conditions and my new hyper Vectors AT skied good and I think it was very turny and forgiving in tight trees. Of course climbing no comparison, Hyper/AT light and easy. WTBS, I like them both for different reasons, my tele version is old and well used but not rock skis and I keep them in good shape and they do get used.

ON3P Wrenegade 96 179 (approx 1860gr a ski - I asked for their lightest pair) - Atomic Backland bindings w/brakes - Atomic Hawx (short tours)/Arcteryx Procline Carbon (long tours) - Black Diamond Ultralite skins - K2 Lockjaw Carbon poles

Sweet Supernaut R pant - North Face Summit L5 jacket (color me a sucker) - Sweet Mothergoose down jacket for warmth - wool base layers

I used a pair of Praxis EXPs with ATK FR12 2.0s for this use last year, but found that I am not good at adjusting to light weight skis (ending in the slam of the season!), so figured 400grs was worth it for the downs.

Would probably get ZeroG 105s in 180 if a touring specific ski is to join the quiver.

I also have two pairs of Völkl BMT122s in 176 - one pair with Tectons and one pair with Solly MTN bindings (and one pair with Shifts that I will sell) - but do not expect to do massive missions with them though. They ski fantastically though.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 11-08-2019 at 03:34 PM.

What would your touring setup consist of?

Just put together 184 Wildcat Tour 108s + MTN + Vulcans for my everyday bc rig. Haven’t been out yet but I’m optimistic about it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fun ski touring:
    Bentchetler 120 184cm, Shifts, Hawx XTD 130s

Volcano skiing:
    Something in the ~100mm width, G3 Zeds, Backland Carbons

Fun splitboarding (this is my current split setup):
    Lib SplitBRD 167W, Phantom bindings, Backland Experts

Split-Mo:
    Amplid Milligram or Jones Ultracraft, Phantoms and Backlands

My current ski kit is Lib UFO 115 185cm, G3 Ions, and Backland Carbons but Hawx have been ordered. I've been mostly happy with BD Glidelite skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Just put together 184 Wildcat Tour 108s + MTN + Vulcans for my everyday bc rig. Haven’t been out yet but I’m optimistic about it.
    We need a report on these when you get some time on them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

1 setup to do it all backcountry.

Boots: ZeroGProTours (They tour as well as Backland Carbon's with the tongues in, weight almost the same as Dynafit TLT6 Mountains, and ski FAR above it's weight)
    Bindings: Vipecs or Tecton depending on your rowdy level (although the crampon attachment for them suck)
    Skis: Black Crows Navis Freebird with DIY Tip notches for race style skins
    Skins: Mohair with race style bungee setup

Although if you like going far/ uphill more than down...

Boots: AlienRS
    Bindings: ATK Tofeo or ATK RT depending on how you feel about release.
    Skis: Backland 85UL
    Skins: Mohair with race style bungee setup

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    And you don't miss the second/higher riser height?
    If you're doing it right you don't need the extra height.
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 11-08-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    If you're doing it right you don't need the extra height.
    It's for when the guy before you didn't do it right . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It's for when the guy before you didn't do it right . . .
    Shame there isn't other snow around
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I guess you like breaking trail?

Also, some of us have limited dorsiflexion, and the high riser helps a lot. I end up needing a high riser much more often than most people I know. If I don’t its a lot more effort.

always awesome to roll around a corner and see the entire landscape cunted up because everyone thought they could make a better skin track.

I wish there was a touring setup specifically designed to get people to shut the fuck up about skin tracks on the internet. I would definitely have that one in my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Not enough information. Location? Range of months skied? Conditions generally skied? Will you be adding a second ski or binding in the future? How aggressive do you ski?
    I wasn't necessarily looking for advice on my setup or what would be best for me. More curious than anything. I hate my current setup and am looking to upgrade. Have really been enjoying my Moment PB&J's and Wildcats so am leaning towards the following:

108 Wildcat Tours
    Shift or G3 Ion Bindings
    Big Sky Skins

Trying to narrow down boot choices but looking for a tour specific boot. Something light. Not looking to use it regularly at the resort.

Interesting thread notwithstanding the ambiguity of OP's question. Is this a setup to supplement current quiver? Or to completely replace existing quiver? Or to replace one ski/binding/boot combo in existing quiver?

If I had only one setup, it'd be fat fishscales, lightweight tourable/walkable/scrambleable boots and lightweight bindings. YMMV. Skis would likely be Voile UltraVector or Hyper Vector. I haven't kept up with the latest tech bindings, so I'd likely again go with Speed Turn 2.0s because I'm tooled up for field repairs for 4-screw toe Dynafits and that's what most of my buds are on. Sometimes ignorance of latest greatest is bliss. Boots starts with fit, of course. Nice that there are so many lightweight tourable/walkable/scrambleable options these days.

But, hey, discussions re a single touring setup are kinda silly cuz mid-winter touring gear and spring/summer touring/skimo gear are very different birds.

If it's to supplement my current quiver, I'd need to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    ... I haven't kept up with the latest tech bindings, so I'd likely again go with Speed Turn 2.0s because I'm tooled up for field repairs for 4-screw toe Dynafits and that's what most of my buds are on.
    I've thought about this a bit. Gone are the days when you can carry a single Dynafit spare and know that you can field repair all of the bindings used in your group.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I also have two pairs of Völkl BMT122s in 176 - one pair with Tectons and one pair with Solly MTN bindings (and one pair with Shifts that I will sell) - but do not expect to do massive missions with them though. They ski fantastically though.
    Kapow - I'm buying a pair of bmt 122's and have been debating tectons vs a pin binding. Never skied a tecton/shift/kingpin, used to touring on pin binders -interested to hear why you have one with each. I love skiing drops, cliffs, minigolf on alpine binders, but just can't feel it on pins. Want to do more of that on my pow rig. Also want to be able to put in 5-8k days for fun on the pow skis without being spent....My approach is to go with an alpine heel pin binder like tecton and get in better shape rather than bitch about 200g underfoot. Sound about right?

/ end threadjack