Page 1647 of 1852 FirstFirst ... 1642 1643 1644 1645 1646 1647 1648 1649 1650 1651 1652 ... LastLast
Results 41,151 to 41,175 of 46293
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah. I don’t think it’s Jesus that most people have a problem with. He seemed pretty chill, actually.
    The true Jesus (his words) just proved you wrong, murdering a cyclist in OC for no reason.

From the Orange County Register (paywalled)
    The Long Beach man accused of running over and stabbing a beloved physician in Dana Point earlier this month confessed to the killing in a jailhouse interview Friday, Feb. 10, saying he has no regrets and was entitled to commit murder because he is both God and Jesus Christ.

In a rambling, hourlong conversation with a Southern California News Group reporter, Vanroy Evan Smith cited end-of-world scriptures from the Bible’s Book of Revelation and said that if the public knew he was the Messiah and the “king of kings,” they would think differently about him and his crime.

“I have killed,” Smith, 39, said during the interview at Orange County’s Intake Release Center in Santa Ana. “If they knew who I was, they would let me walk out of here. They would fulfill all my desires.”

Smith, who has pleaded not guilty to homicide charges in the death of Dr. Michael John Mammone, is being held in jail on $1 million bail.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Mammone, 58, was riding his mountain bike in the bicycle lane on Pacific Coast Highway at Crown Valley Parkway when he was struck from behind by a white Lexus driven by Smith. The impact hurled the doctor into the air.

Smith then got out of his car and stabbed Mammone with a large, long knife, sheriff’s deputies said. Witnesses on cellphone video are heard describing it as a machete. One man directed others to find it in nearby bushes. Bystanders detained Smith until deputies arrived.

Mammone died after he was rushed to Providence Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, one of the hospitals where he had served as an emergency medicine physician.

Smith, who denied in the jailhouse interview that he is mentally ill, said he awoke on the morning of Feb. 1 fully expecting to kill someone by the end of the day, adding that he has long been plagued by troubling “communications” from others and conflict because of his mixed-race heritage.

Smith said he placed a BB gun, intended to be used as a distractionary device, into his Lexus, and drove to a Long Beach area gun store, where he purchased the knife.

He also said he considered using a bow and arrow, but ultimately decided against it.

Smith recounted that after the knife purchase, he began driving around and felt compelled to run over Mammone and then stab him. “It was my right,” Smith said, adding that he feels no remorse for the killing. “He was in the crosswalk and presented himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by ski_the_fraulein View Post
    Getting old is annoying…

Rope drop for Devil’s Castle yesterday. Was about 80th in line outside the gate at Sugarloaf. Had already committed to going all the way to the wall. Was through the initial crux and about 1/2 way on this long right foot climb and already down to only 10 or so in front of me. The plan was playing out as expected. Started the final heavier sidestep up the last pitch when - slap! Felt something in my right calf. F@&k! Had to stop and assess. Something had definitely just ripped. Stood aside and only 1 more went past over the next few minutes. Gathered myself and knew I couldn’t continue. My R leg was useless and I’m in the middle of DC traverse looking at a bunch of untracked. I skied out but now how I imagined (on one leg). How do you pull a muscle on the traverse on day 37 on snow….

Getting old sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    thats sucks .. it could be worse though; I lost a season to a calf /hamstring tear quite a few years ago. Hope you heal up fast!

The genius who designed our townhome complex used the same street address number on two different buildings, one on the main loop road around our complex and the other on a short side street off of that loop.

Both buildings face onto the loop road, and it's not obvious the one on the side street is not "on" the loop road. Especially to delivery drivers.

Most see the first building, get out and try to deliver and are stumped when the unit numbers they're looking for are not there. The lazy ones (and there are a lot) drop the package there anyways and carry on. The better ones look further and see the second building with that number 100 yards further along.

And then some, like UPS, mark the package delivered but then take it back to their delivery hub. Looking around for it it's not at any of the usual doors drivers wrongly drop packages at. Go back and click track package again, and now it says "Address Information Required". Try to change delivery to add a note for the driver or just pick up at a UPS store, and there is no way to do that. So then the question...do I want to spend an hour on the phone trying to fix this today....or see if they figure it out on their own.

Speaking of Fridays, it’s annoying that my colleague schedules meetings on Fridays. He’s always waxing about the good old days when Friday meetings were avoided as a policy. We control our schedule, and it’s generally not an issue to push people off to Monday, but he can’t help himself.

While we’re at it, Monday meetings are also annoying. Cram that shit into T-Th
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Motherfuckingpiecesofniclandimingshit, I'm talking about Welch's. Their little packets of fruit chews just went from .9 OZ to .8 Oz. Just raise the price, you cheap fuckwads.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Obligatory Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The genius who designed our townhome complex used the same street address number on two different buildings, one on the main loop road around our complex and the other on a short side street off of that loop.

Both buildings face onto the loop road, and it's not obvious the one on the side street is not "on" the loop road. Especially to delivery drivers.

Most see the first building, get out and try to deliver and are stumped when the unit numbers they're looking for are not there. The lazy ones (and there are a lot) drop the package there anyways and carry on. The better ones look further and see the second building with that number 100 yards further along.

And then some, like UPS, mark the package delivered but then take it back to their delivery hub. Looking around for it it's not at any of the usual doors drivers wrongly drop packages at. Go back and click track package again, and now it says "Address Information Required". Try to change delivery to add a note for the driver or just pick up at a UPS store, and there is no way to do that. So then the question...do I want to spend an hour on the phone trying to fix this today....or see if they figure it out on their own.
    Our niece and her family live in Temecula CA on Something or Other Court, which is many miles and on the other side of a major freeway from Something or Other Blvd., also in Temecula. After driving 6 hours in Thanksgiving traffic it took us another hour to find her house, (which looked exactly like the houses in the wrong neighborhood.)

I just bought a new house, so new it’s not on Google maps. My local internet provider says my address isn’t real, so they can’t provide service yet.

The world is getting more weird/annoying by the second.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Our niece and her family live in Temecula CA on Something or Other Court, which is many miles and on the other side of a major freeway from Something or Other Blvd., also in Temecula. After driving 6 hours in Thanksgiving traffic it took us another hour to find her house, (which looked exactly like the houses in the wrong neighborhood.)
    We have two Carmel Mountain Roads here in SD. One crosses I-5, the other crosses I-15. It seems like maybe they were at one point meant to connect, but they don't, not even close. A lot of people get taken in by that. A co-worker booked a hotel on Carmel Mtn Rd, which he assumed was near our office, also on Carmel Mtn Rd. Turns out it was a $50 uber away. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I just bought a new house, so new it’s not on Google maps. My local internet provider says my address isn’t real, so they can’t provide service yet.
    Same thing happened to my parents when they built their house in a new neighborhood. They didn't have issues with internet, but did with couriers and a few other things. Even looking up their postal code on Canada Post, it didn't show up for a couple years.

My kid has a condo in Boston that's on a street that's the length of the two condo buildings and isn't on a lot of maps. The USPS can find it most of the time but delivery people drive around for ages looking for it. I guess that's what happens when you buy a new place--new in 1906.

On the north side of Donner Lake a lot of places have roads along both the front and back of the lot. Some people in the same row of houses access from the front road, some from the back, so the address on the package and the street a driver has to deliver on can be differrent. Mostly they just drop the package somewhere and hope the neighbors can sort it out. Mostly we just get refunds. The USPS doesn't have to worry about--we have a cluster box down the road, but the dyslexic carrier transposes two numbers in our address and half of our mail winds up in the same wrong box.

Shit that annoys you

I live on a drive. But the USPS thinks it’s a road. I don’t care what it is, but there is occasional confusion with the odd utility or delivery service and I can’t always anticipate what database they might be looking at. Amuses me more than it annoys me at this point.

“My address is 123 Mustonen Road.” “I don’t see that… looks like it’s actually a Drive?” “Sure, it’s whatever you want it to be.” And then I’ll occasionally feel compelled to tell them the street sign and official records say drive but USPS insists it’s a road.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 02-13-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Every other street or boulevard or court or way or lane in Atlanta is named Peachtree.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

Email the city and tell them it's a safety risk and you are concerned that first responders won't be able to find you quickly if needed. CC the fire marshal and city engineer.

Most of the streets in my town denoted as boulevards are in fact not. Most streets that could be considered boulevards aren't named as such. However there is a road that's simply named Boulevard (without any street suffix at all), yet nobody calls it that.

Annoys me, and makes me sad. RIP Graffit. Killed this morning 'in the line of duty'. Cops knew the guy had a gun so they let the K9 chase the suspect. Of course he killed the dog and not a cop. Do I want a cop killed? No. I'm just really torn with this as a dog person, and especially with my history with GSD's and Malinois. They are loyal to the bone.

Name:  Graffit.jpeg
Views: 382
Size:  205.1 KB

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...b-e22209d082d0

2014 the Canuck feds enacted “Quantos Law”, up to 5yrs in prison for being convicted of killing or harming any service animal (but mostly targeted to police service animals), with a minimum sentence of 6mo behind bars upon conviction of killing the animal.

No idea its effectiveness in practice since its enactment. But it beats the previously only available charge of cruelty to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Most of the streets in my town denoted as boulevards are in fact not. Most streets that could be considered boulevards aren't named as such. However there is a road that's simply named Boulevard (without any street suffix at all), yet nobody calls it that.
    Is there a definition of boulevard that is different from street? Like an Alley?

Srs question, I'm not sure...

I kind of can't believe that they didn't just shoot him immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I kind of can't believe that they didn't just shoot him immediately.
    Seriously, after reading that whole story how did he get away in the first place?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Is there a definition of boulevard that is different from street? Like an Alley?

Srs question, I'm not sure...
    A boulevard is usually divided, i.e. it has a median strip between opposing lanes of traffic.

Sound Transit in Seattle has finally decided maybe they need to start kicking people off light rail who are smoking fentanyl onboard. Gee, you think that's a good idea? The story about it in the Seattle Times is pretty amazing. Here's one quote: "Metro is studying how to require fares without making riders uncomfortable by telling them to produce proof of payment..." People are uncomfortable when asked to provide proof they paid? So what? This is just crazy. Right now there aren't turnstiles at the light rail stations. It's all on the honor system, so you can imagine how well that's working.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...on-light-rail/

POLL:
    'ON accident', or 'BY accident'?
    I say BY accident. Those ON accident people can die in a grease fire.

By. As in "It happened by accident. "It was caused by an accident."

What's the full sentence that justifies On?