Page 53 of 105 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2604
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    blisters = rubbing = something moving.

So the tongue is rubbing on the shin somewhere/some how? maybe a inside "power strap" around the liner might help?

or the padding the sides of the bits that are sore.
    Thanks, sounds like I’m on the right track. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something glaring.

Still in between old boots and new boots. Trying on the new version w/old liners seemed to fix ankle hotspots.

Old boots could work with new liners and a few punches. Need one high on the heel cup for a large heel spur. Shop that did my toe punches can't fit their press this close to the walk mechanism and scaffo/cuff are riveted together on this boot. Any ideas on how to make room for a bony protrusion here? The spot where I need room is about 1" from the edge of the cuff.

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  74.9 KB

I dont see why the small ball cant fit there? Were they using a lever press? I’ve punched that spot in many boots. Just need to be carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Still in between old boots and new boots. Trying on the new version w/old liners seemed to fix ankle hotspots.

Old boots could work with new liners and a few punches. Need one high on the heel cup for a large heel spur. Shop that did my toe punches can't fit their press this close to the walk mechanism and scaffo/cuff are riveted together on this boot. Any ideas on how to make room for a bony protrusion here? The spot where I need room is about 1" from the edge of the cuff.

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  74.9 KB
    not sure why a punch wouldn't fit?

maybe grind a small spot in the back of the shell?

I think they are pretty limited in what they have for tools (Skimoco). Price was right for the 6th toe punch but I'll try to find another shop (SLC) to do the heel.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I think they are pretty limited in what they have for tools (Skimoco). Price was right for the 6th toe punch but I'll try to find another shop (SLC) to do the heel.
    you need to find a new shop (or use a hand grinder)

Why do I sometimes get intense bilateral fibula pain skiing and other days I ski pain free?
    Boots in question are a Salomon Ghost 130 with Intuition race HD liners. The boot and liners have both been molded once to me. I've skied this setup roughly 20 days now and some days they feel great but others they absolutely kill and I have to end early. The cuff fit is tight for sure, I get both buckles on to two notches and cinch up a booster strap over the plastic. There's no A/P or lateral slop once they're clamped on. Comparing the Ghost cuff to my FT Konflicts, the cuff diameter looks bigger in the Ghost, yet I never get any pain in my Konflicts using the same intuition liner. Since my problem isn't an everyday thing, I'm hesitant to do any permanent boot work and have them feel sloppy on days my feet don't hurt. Any thoughts?

you need to find a new shop (or use a hand grinder)
    Yeah I'm passing through. I figured this would be no problem for my usual guy (Larry in Boulder). Lots of the shops recommended here require appt. well in advance, or are closed.

not sure why a punch wouldn't fit?

maybe grind a small spot in the back of the shell?
    Hey mntlion: would heating the shell then heating a small ball peen hammer to a certain temp and using hand pressure work for a home job? Just curious/haven't tried.
    Master of mediocrity.

Cole Sport did a free grind for me, should be all set

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_powder View Post
    Why do I sometimes get intense bilateral fibula pain skiing and other days I ski pain free?
    Boots in question are a Salomon Ghost 130 with Intuition race HD liners. The boot and liners have both been molded once to me. I've skied this setup roughly 20 days now and some days they feel great but others they absolutely kill and I have to end early. The cuff fit is tight for sure, I get both buckles on to two notches and cinch up a booster strap over the plastic. There's no A/P or lateral slop once they're clamped on. Comparing the Ghost cuff to my FT Konflicts, the cuff diameter looks bigger in the Ghost, yet I never get any pain in my Konflicts using the same intuition liner. Since my problem isn't an everyday thing, I'm hesitant to do any permanent boot work and have them feel sloppy on days my feet don't hurt. Any thoughts?
    does it depend on terrain? width of skis? check/adjust upper cuff alignment.

if not its a glitch in the matrix, dont eat the red pills in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey mntlion: would heating the shell then heating a small ball peen hammer to a certain temp and using hand pressure work for a home job? Just curious/haven't tried.
    maybe? I think just heating the shell and pressure might? sure can't hurt, but I dont think you can make enough pressure to change it, but no down side in trying.

maybe? I think just heating the shell and pressure might? sure can't hurt, but I dont think you can make enough pressure to change it, but no down side in trying.
    okay thanx.
    Master of mediocrity.

does it depend on terrain? width of skis? check/adjust upper cuff alignment.

if not its a glitch in the matrix, dont eat the red pills in the morning
    I wouldn't say bumps trigger the pain, but obviously it makes it worse once it starts. Other than that its not terrain dependent. Width of skis I don't think so, I either ski a 108 or 112 so not a big difference there. Cuff alignment seems fine but I'll recheck.

Maybe I should just ditch the Ghosts and go back to my FTs full time.

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_powder View Post
    I wouldn't say bumps trigger the pain, but obviously it makes it worse once it starts. Other than that its not terrain dependent. Width of skis I don't think so, I either ski a 108 or 112 so not a big difference there. Cuff alignment seems fine but I'll recheck.

Maybe I should just ditch the Ghosts and go back to my FTs full time.
    if the FT's work for you, stay with what works

Can somebody who knows explain in some detail how important stance width is in Fischer Vacuum molding process?

I got a new pair molded and I kept thinking the width was too wide, plus a mag here who did them professionally said everyone got a mold with a stance too wide.

I think my mold is too narrow because I can’t make a left-footed turn very well and something feels way off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Can somebody who knows explain in some detail how important stance width is in Fischer Vacuum molding process?

I got a new pair molded and I kept thinking the width was too wide, plus a mag here who did them professionally said everyone got a mold with a stance too wide.

I think my mold is too narrow because I can’t make a left-footed turn very well and something feels way off.

try adjusting the upper cuff alignment bolts a bit and see if that is better or worse. If no different then odds are stance width is not the issue/ solution

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post

a few off the cuff wild speculations that might not be in the right ballpark 'cause you stated that you think your mold is too narrow, but unclear if you mean stance or that actual fit in the boot?....but, i'll fire thoughts out anyways.

1. too much 'pre pronation of left foot' -- not enough fit tension of medial lower foot/ankle through liner to shell plastic to initiate turns and maintain edge pressure? Have had that happen when punching boots for a bit more width in that area but punched too much

2. not enough posting of left foot medial heel/rear portion of arch?

3. just generally too much shell volume from instep through ankle and up through the shaft?

solutions --- again, just speculation 'cause i haven't tried it

1. reverse punch the affected area

2. try adding some posting in target area. compare/contrast

3. dunno
    Master of mediocrity.

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

a few off the cuff wild speculations that might not be in the right ballpark 'cause you stated that you think your mold is too narrow, but unclear if you mean stance or that actual fit in the boot?....but, i'll fire thoughts out anyways.

1. too much 'pre pronation of left foot' -- not enough fit tension of medial lower foot/ankle through liner to shell plastic to initiate turns and maintain edge pressure? Have had that happen when punching boots for a bit more width in that area but punched too much

2. not enough posting of left foot medial heel/rear portion of arch?

3. just generally too much shell volume from instep through ankle and up through the shaft?

solutions --- again, just speculation 'cause i haven't tried it

1. reverse punch the affected area

2. try adding some posting in target area. compare/contrast

3. dunno
    Thanks for ideas.

You are right; I pronate, so when the boots are molded they mold to my pronated ankle.

I’m thinking maybe the vacuum air pressure was never turned on (I remember feeling like a vise was on my ankle any of my 10 vacuum fittings; this time it didn’t but I was engrossed in conversation about boot technology)

Maybe the new rubber liners and modified plastic is more resistant to the air pressure bags?

Or if the timer starts is air flowing?

Too bootfitters told me, delicately, that my footbeds are very well made but probably no longer support my feet.

I like the footbeds bc they were made by a top 100 bootfitter in CO and are comfy.

Last edited by Gaperious Basterd; 03-17-2019 at 01:26 PM.

the answer to "WTF is wrong with my boots?"

Interesting.
    Last edited by Gaperious Basterd; 03-18-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Well here goes nothing; at risk of facing shame and ridicule for posting pics of my naked, battle hardened left foot.....so before you scroll down, be prepared; it ain't a european model, nicely pedicured foot.

Here's a reference for a severely pronated, almost reverse camber flat foot...and how i modded my custom podiatrist made, carbon fiber footbeds to provide a modicum of support for use in ski boots. Of course, the footbed is just one part of the equation...i carefully reformed my dynafit vulcan shells and intuition hv luxury liners and all three parts work equally in synergy.

On the liner front...i baked em hot and long and this encouraged volume loss and density increase of the remaining foam...it was unintended for one liner but i mirrored it in the other liner 'cause it felt better than the 'correct' mold. YRMV.

One problem that still persists is as the liner compresses/packs out in response to daily skiing from a.m. to p.m., the fit and fit tension changes resulting in less optimum performance as the day progresses...but...comfort increases. I think the only solution to this, for me, is a more rigid material in key areas of the lower portion of the liner...heel/ankle, medial foot area and potentially under the foot. In a perfect world with unlimited time and funds, i'd try to tackle that problem with a jigsaw puzzle approach to carving out intuition foam and re/re with moldable more rigid/stiffer materials...but for now, i'll live with what i got cause at least i'm not in pain.

Also, a data point on canting and cuff alignment...if the scaffo of the ski boot fits well, supports the foots in the key areas, and, while rolling the ankles medially and actively pronating the foot, the pressure effectively transfers to the shell to control turn initiation and edge pressure....then, the cuff alignment and canting of the boots didn't matter all that much even though i have kinda bow legged legs...YRMV though, maybe i just didn't tinker enough to get that part of the skier stance/fit dialed in enough to really feel a huge improvement?

...and....since i'm getting sucked down the rabbit hole of personal boot fit thinking already....i wonder if for severely pronating folks a fully rigid under heel, rear portion of arch/up the sides portion of liner would be the durable solution? Like, does a guy really need insulating properties, shock absorbtion and any kinda of 'squishiness' at all in that zone? Maybe a 'full lockdown' approach with just a tiny bit of progressive pliability of the innermost material surrounding the foot in that area would be the answer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100753.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	274539

Name:	P1100746.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	274540

Name:	P1100748.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	274541

Name:	P1100749.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	274542

Name:	P1100750.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	274543

Name:	c.c2.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	652.4 KB 
ID:	274545

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	274546
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100751.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	274544  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-17-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Wow! Maybe consider professional barefoot waterskiing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I thought my feet were flat. Then I see this pic. My feet are not flat.

I’m glad you found a solution.

Name:	P1100753.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	274539

Name:	P1100746.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	274540

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

New data point. Someone got some video of my skiin' yesterday in some spring schmooey conditions. Stance adjustment required equal weighting inside/outside skis with a bit of a 'bases flat' approach to prevent getting caught on respective edges in the punchy snow. Noticed that I had to excessively angulate the inside knee to maintain proper ball of foot pressure and balance from tip to tail on the inside ski while everting the feet in short radius turns. Dunno if this is 'normal' for flat, pronated feet people with loose ankles, or maybe due to excessive outboard cuff angle of boots even though my legs are kinda bowed? Feels natural, so not too worried about it but just thought i'd huck out the data point if someone has any constructive criticism. Wonder if I should heat mold the shells to try to give the cuffs a more neutral angle? Is this a Q for Epicski and not here?

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 638
Size:  354.0 KB

Name:  Untitled2.png
Views: 639
Size:  162.7 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-19-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.