Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    let me lament about it
    Ha, this is a very good subtle side-swipe. Damn you.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Exactly my point. Which one do you share the attitude of (not asking you skaredshtles literally), the woman or the dude? Ha.

Sometimes I think my real issue is that I'm just annoyed that more people aren't as annoyed as me: WTF people! This is not normal.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Sometimes I think my real issue is that I'm just annoyed that more people aren't as annoyed as me: WTF people! This is not normal.
    I can relate to this. Less so as I get older, which I think is a good thing.

Moab locals are freaking out a bit. The quality of life is really suffering. The free-for-all of UTVs on the city streets all hours of day and night is the icing on the cake. People are losing their shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hate user group conflicts and that BS, but the "SxS" phenomenon is really changing Moab for the worse. I hope they can figure out how to contain it soon. I'm not anti anything, and do enjoy motorsports myself, but any moron can now rent a SxS and go trample 10X the terrain that a jeep could.

Moab vanlife advice?

And the UT legislature made them street legal (with lights and tags) and hobbled local government’s’ ability to manage them. The city can’t do shit except enforce moving violations and sound infractions. But actually being able to prosecute a vehicle’s noise output is apparently surprisingly difficult.
    With Main St and 500W frequently clogged, hordes of SxS are punching it through all the neighborhoods now.

I used to visit 5-6 times a year, now I pretty much only hit it when passing through for an Ahab or Klondike lap and some Love Muffin.
    I understand the camping outside of town in a self sufficient setup strategy, I’ve done that plenty, but I really used to enjoy some dinners and Love Muffin sessions with friends, and that shit is a true hassle now. (And obviously with the Rona, out of the question)

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Moab locals are freaking out a bit. The quality of life is really suffering. The free-for-all of UTVs on the city streets all hours of day and night is the icing on the cake. People are losing their shit.

Seems to be the #1 issue in town from reading their paper occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    But actually being able to prosecute a vehicle’s noise output is apparently surprisingly difficult.
    As evidenced by all the nationwide fuckwagons on loud Harleys for decades.

^^One of the best South Park episodes...what word did they use?

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    ^^One of the best South Park episodes...what word did they use?
    British cigarettes.

Cool to see Christina Sloan is still hanging as Grand County attorney. We go way back.

Moab vanlife advice?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I know this is the Moab thread, but UTV's are fucking up public land all over the west. Trails are growing in width, new UTV social roads are popping up all over high elevation meadows, noise etc. Fuck those things.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 10-27-2020 at 07:50 AM.

I'll pile on against the avoiding town shenanigans. Part of the fun of Moab was the experience. Beautiful desert camping right in town. Cool little town with some solid food options and cool people. The (legal) riding there has arguably gotten better, but it was overall a more enjoyable experience 15+ years ago. IMO.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

SxS, as they are calling em now I guess, are a scourge and will probably get a lot of motorized trails across the country shut down in the coming years.

Agreed, 15 years ago or so was probably the golden age for Moab. I first started riding there in ‘88, if you saw someone else out riding, you often stopped to say hi and see where they were from. The bikes sucked, though, and there wasn’t much actual single track.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

My first time in Moab was in 2012 I think? And I unknowingly went during the Utah schools fall break. It felt unbelievably busy, but it was probably about the same volume as a normal weekend now.

I'm also not a huge fan of Side by sides as a user group. Every user group has good and bad examples, but man, those things are obnoxious. When I first moved to Utah I thought it was kind of cool that they were street legal, but the guy running around my neighborhood in the middle of Sandy ruined that for me quick.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    ... But we havent been south of Potash road. Gonna go through town at 7am tomorrow for TWE...
    That would have made a big difference for us, if we didn't have to get from Deadhorse to 128.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

That highway project should clog things up next spring too.. Completion is anticipated June 2021
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

The bikes sucked, though, and there wasn’t much actual single track.
    agree- riding porcupine, amasaback, portal, etc on my old hardtail with a tiny sid race fork was fun but not quite as fun as my bike now. We were laughing that the tires on Andrew's gravel bike are wider than what we had on our mtn bikes back on our first moab trips

we camped up near Dead Horse point last yr too which was uncrowded with great views right next to the cliffs. except a dog in the next campsite over fell off the edge of the cliff the night prior as they pulled in late. (it landed on a ledge like 50' down and was rescued the next morning by Search & Rescue)

I did shed a light tear as we passed by the Love Muffin this trip and couldn't stop in. I'm hungry just thinking about it
    skid luxury

I did shed a light tear as we passed by the Love Muffin this trip and couldn't stop in. I'm hungry just thinking about it
    That would give me a sad. They were an instant favorite the moment they opened. As difficult as it is now, I’d be bummed if they changed much. IMO they fucked Peace Tree all up when they relocated out of the basement into bigger new space.

You can't eat inside, but they do have shit pretty dialed with their online ordering and pickup process. It's tough to beat a bacon panini for breakfast, along with a couple to-go muffins for an in-ride snack!

Agreed, 15 years ago or so was probably the golden age for Moab. I first started riding there in ‘88, if you saw someone else out riding, you often stopped to say hi and see where they were from. The bikes sucked, though, and there wasn’t much actual single track.
    Front suspension was just becoming a thing when I first rode there, couple of adjacent campers had been to the local bike shop to get a sus fork after riding for a day and one was telling me what a phenomenal difference it made. I was on a Bridgestone MB5, god I loved that bike. No doubt that a fork adsorbing hits instead of my eyeballs rattling around would have been nice, but didn't dampen my fun.

A few years later I was down there when rear suspension had been a thing for a while, encountered an enthusiastic kid on a full rigid diamondback or something, don't remember. His buddies were stopping to adjust suspension a lot and making fun of his bike. Encountered him later in the day alone, he got tired of waiting for his buddies so just kept peddling, lol.

We didn't need singletrack with all of the great Jeep and dirt bike trails that were hardly used. There was so much to ride around 1990 that I never wanted for more.

My first trip was in the early 90s and we got a nice jeep trail guide that was pretty nice for being in the area for over a week. A lot of out of town emptyness was had.