Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Stiffer than other 130 boots but softer than the Vulcan with a stiff tongue? Huh? It's been a while since I tried one on, but I definitely found the Vulcan with tongue softer than several 130 boots...
    i think the vulcan is stiffer than the "130" marked touring boots, not a real 130 boots
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    softer than 130 touring boots, not a real 130 boots
    Sorry, I just referenced which ones, above. Were you carpet testing or something?

ah fairly into some scotch here
    meant vulcan is stiffer than something like freetour...
    havent tried the cochise... been a few years since i tried the freedom becaues it hates my instep
    i wasn't testing for a review site with boots sent to me, i was testing a few boots at a show... for me... and yea it wasn't that cold at copper during the test... like 30F on the hill
    Last edited by Summit; 02-22-2017 at 05:45 AM.

Took the Hawk Ultra Extended out for a long tour and skied ego boosting blower pow lines. Not a great test for downhill as Backland Ultimates could have done just as fine in snow of such acceptable quality.

Memoryfit is killer. Stuck my own Intuitions in one foot and Atomic liner in other and no issues at all. Thanks Steve Kerr for that!

Touring is remarkable with a good deal of range of motion via both liners. Tried touring with all buckles slacked off and powerstrap loosened and that is the best for relatively friction free walking. ROM is reduced when buckles and powerstrap were in ski mode then loosened (ie not slacked all the way). This means transitions are additionally complicated by needing the extra process of slackening buckles all the way for the added ROM of touring performance for the ups.

Will investigate this aspect more and play with buckles

Thanks for the info. That boot is sounding like a great offering!

For shop folks that have sold Atomic Hawx (alpine version which apparently fits the same), Tecnica Zero G, and Scarpa Maestrale, which is going to be the best option for someone with stupidly narrow, low volume feet? We're talking AA width and low volume basically everywhere including a heel that swims in most boots, including plenty of race boots. I've made Maestrale RS's work in the past with a couple Bontex shims and a butterfly wrap on the heel, but they're going to be dead by the end of this year and I'm going to need a replacement.

Paging the Evo staff...

Hawx Ultra is the narrowest of the three, but has a relatively tall instep. None are really in the realm of a plug race shell or even a Lange 97mm shell, but some Bontex and a High Volume Intuition will help.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hawx Ultra is the narrowest of the three, but has a relatively tall instep. None are really in the realm of a plug race shell or even a Lange 97mm shell, but some Bontex and a High Volume Intuition will help.
    Thanks! Tall instep I feel like is pretty easy to deal with using bontex, and my navicular is pretty high compared to the rest of my foot anyway. Width and and heel hold are a little more difficult to manage.

The issue with the Atomic is the lack of length. It does have the lowest volume heel in each size. The shorter fit however can be really problematic If you are so low volume you need to downsize. The thin plastic in the forefoot of the Ultra really doesn't have much to be stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Generic Azn foot. No arch. Big tumour on met. Splayed out forefoot. 110mm to work with for a 99m last.

.]
    Holy shit thats my right foot exactly ...even the same color!

good to know that there is tech coming along when the vulcan is dead
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The issue with the Atomic is the lack of length. It does have the lowest volume heel in each size. The shorter fit however can be really problematic If you are so low volume you need to downsize. The thin plastic in the forefoot of the Ultra really doesn't have much to be stretched out.
    In my situation where have a wider forefoot with an extended fleshy 6th toe region, moderately high instep, narrower heel... it stinks to be between sizes and I'm unsure what the best solution is, if it is just to go with the 2 finger fit and try to cram a high volume liner combined with a fisher vaccum fit apllied to the memoryfit? Or do I go with the 0.5 finger fit and hope the memoryfit expands in all directions?

Personally, I have had much better luck making more volume in a sub-finger shell fit than trying to lock my heel down in a 2 finger shell fit, but YMMV. I would characterize my feet about like you, except bony rather than fleshy in the 5th met head and styloid process regions.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    What Xavier said then also add tech fittings. Tough to get much boot length

In my situation where have a wider forefoot with an extended fleshy 6th toe region, moderately high instep, narrower heel... it stinks to be between sizes and I'm unsure what the best solution is, if it is just to go with the 2 finger fit and try to cram a high volume liner combined with a fisher vaccum fit apllied to the memoryfit? Or do I go with the 0.5 finger fit and hope the memoryfit expands in all directions?
    Thats a tough one. If it were 1 finger then for sure give it a go. 0.5 though isn't a hell of a lot. I chose to go with the 2 finger and use the volumizer etc

With the Hawk Ultra Extended you get laces for the liner, spoiler (in case the 17 deg forward lean is not enough) and a thin volumizer to take up some space

Two forefoot buckles are removeable with torx

Walk mode is beefy and asopted from the Backland. Out of box this is at 15 deg forward lean. Flip the chip behind the walk mode to adjust to 17 deg forward lean

Noram rep tells me that they would prefer to call it the Hawk EXTENDED. Unfortunate connotation for XTD when said a bit too quickly perhaps.
    We all need a little extra D in our lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Can you explain the volumizer? Where does it go?

I've been told that the minimal amount of overlap and gasket design on the existing Hawk is cold and leaky. Any changes to the touring version?

Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I've been told that the minimal amount of overlap and gasket design on the existing Hawk is cold and leaky. Any changes to the touring version?
    Not on mine. Warm and don't leak. Plenty of overlap as well. If that's the case in the new boot, could be a deal breaker for me.
    Edit: lee addressed it.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 02-24-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Looks like the perfect boot for me to complement my Backland Carbon, but goddamn I can't wait till next season!

Any thoughts on how the Salomon QST Pro 130 would compare? I tried it on in the store yesterday, didn't even know it existed, out of the box a much better fit than the MTN Lab (which I owned and never skied because of tightness) and it has the moldable shell. FYI, I'm looking for a tech boot for my burlier setup with Dynafit Beast 16s to complement my lightweight Backland Carbon + Plum Guide skimo rig.

Can you explain the volumizer? Where does it go?
    Volumizer goes between liner and bootboard. I suppose it could also go into liner if you have space but that would suggest a poor cook

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Visually it looks the same. After removing the forefoot buckle one then has to crank the 2nd buckle quite a bit in ski mode to get a good ski fit. Cranking that buckle visually shifts the overlap a bit (not much but moreso then the other boot where all the buckles are left on the forefoot).

So in cold weather I would suspect that the forefoot buckle boot mod would mean ingress of snow and moisture. It hasn't been the conditions to know if that would occur with the Hawk Ultra Extended. But if it does I would resort to the old Lange trick of duct tape at forefoot gasket

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Looks like the perfect boot for me to complement my Backland Carbon, but goddamn I can't wait till next season!

Any thoughts on how the Salomon QST Pro 130 would compare? I tried it on in the store yesterday, didn't even know it existed, out of the box a much better fit than the MTN Lab (which I owned and never skied because of tightness) and it has the moldable shell. FYI, I'm looking for a tech boot for my burlier setup with Dynafit Beast 16s to complement my lightweight Backland Carbon + Plum Guide skimo rig.
    No idea about the QST boot. I fit the Mtn Lab well after extensive punching fyi

fwiw; super informative thread by knowledgables - did the 1stgen waymaker and found it soft and lacking lateral stability (live fit?). I could make the walk mode toggle pop with heavy impact too.

I have 27.5 hawxultra130 still in the box and won't put any effort into them as the xtd looks like it may be a winner.

I too am between sizes - closer to 1 finger in the 27.5 (hawxultra). Wicked tight dry fit with the stock liner and was considering zipfit. Gonna be nice to watch you'all tear it down first. First impression was this shell's (lack of) thickness would make it cold. (edit: 2funky says otherwise)

Other than tightening the dam, the 1st buckle is useless to me. Am I to infer that some of you go without the buckle? And you do this for weight savings?

I've re-read the above a few times - is there more than one iteration of the 17/18 boot with walk mode?

I'm on Atomic's VIP program and won't be able to get the boot until after aug15 and even that is a bit tenuous every year but, can't beat the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    which is going to be the best option for someone with stupidly narrow, low volume feet? We're talking AA width and low volume basically everywhere including a heel that swims in most boots, .
    Zipfit is your answer, will add some weight compared to intuition but they will change your life.

Visually it looks the same. After removing the forefoot buckle one then has to crank the 2nd buckle quite a bit in ski mode to get a good ski fit. Cranking that buckle visually shifts the overlap a bit (not much but moreso then the other boot where all the buckles are left on the forefoot).

So in cold weather I would suspect that the forefoot buckle boot mod would mean ingress of snow and moisture. It hasn't been the conditions to know if that would occur with the Hawk Ultra Extended. But if it does I would resort to the old Lange trick of duct tape at forefoot gasket
    This was the answer to a similar question over on Newschoolers:

"From an actual performance standpoint, 4-buckles does hold the shell together better and it allows for better fine tuning of the lower shell fit. Part of what allows our light weight shell to ski as well as it does is having 2 shell buckles holding the shell together. As soon as you remove the toe buckle, the overlap will be more free to move and twist as you ski. This will lead to a noticeable reduction in power transfer and potentially wetter feet."