Just when I was about to commit to an icon pass:

email from me to icon:
    I noticed on the Big Sky instagram feed that they are considering
    limiting tram access for Ikon pass holders? Is this a possibility for
    the 19/20 season? I likely would not buy an ikon pass if it doesn't
    include all open lifts.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvPJ89Zl...on_share_sheet
    reply:
    I spoke with my supervisor and unfortunately we cannot offer any sure answer on this topic. Big Sky is a partner, and is not owned by Alterra, so as an partner they are able to make their own rules and restrictions on the pass as they choose to. I have seen nothing official regarding this topic and have only seen it as an idea from local skiers.

My apologies that I cannot answer this for you.

Thank you for contacting the Season Pass Contact Center, have a great season.
    I suppose Jackson and Snowbird could do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post

email from me to icon:

reply:

Ha, regulate them to Apre-Vous and Chickadee at SB only.

email from me to icon:

reply:

You don't need the tram at Big Sky to enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

BBIFU19
    Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You don't need the tram at Big Sky to enjoy yourself.
    If only you could convince the people in line in front of me of that or the tram rats that lap it all day.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    people who acquire passes without having to purchase them are
    ski bums
    but if givin the man your money makes you seem smart
    drive on with an intellectual hard on and less money in your wallet
    I get this all the time from people. "Hey man, why don't you work for the resort and get your pass for free?" Because on powder days while you're bumping chairs, setting up rentals, lapping the carpet with groms, or even tossing dynamite, I'm taking laps and shredding pow. Then I clock in at 4 and make triple your hourly waiting tables. I make the cost of a season pass in a week easily, and get to ski (or not ski) any day I choose.

Of course we need lifties and ski schoolers and ski techs but damn I always shake my head as I walk by them on my way to the chair on a powder day and wonder how they do it. "At least they got their pass for free" is a running joke amongst my buddies. Sure, the employee pass and regular season pass have the same amount of days available to ski, but I get to ski MORE because I didn't get sucked into working at the resort in the daytime. The ~$680 bucks is well work my freedom.

Ikon Pass

email from me to icon:

reply:

Sorry, but that’s fucking lame. No way I’d go Ikon if they limited what lifts I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I get this all the time from people. "Hey man, why don't you work for the resort and get your pass for free?" Because on powder days while you're bumping chairs, setting up rentals, lapping the carpet with groms, or even tossing dynamite, I'm taking laps and shredding pow. Then I clock in at 4 and make triple your hourly waiting tables. I make the cost of a season pass in a week easily, and get to ski (or not ski) any day I choose.

Of course we need lifties and ski schoolers and ski techs but damn I always shake my head as I walk by them on my way to the chair on a powder day and wonder how they do it. "At least they got their pass for free" is a running joke amongst my buddies. Sure, the employee pass and regular season pass have the same amount of days available to ski, but I get to ski MORE because I didn't get sucked into working at the resort in the daytime. The ~$680 bucks is well work my freedom.
    peep the doosh that thinks waiting tables in a ski town is some sort of great career move, i wouldn't call that freedom but whatever. but what you say is absolutely true about ski town economics these days. no wonder the resorts have such a hard time filling jobs now with pass prices so low the benefit of getting a free pass is almost negligible.

email from me to icon:

reply:

I bow my head and pray

Sfb has a much sweeter gig than likely anyone on here ever will. I like busting his chops, he sure busts mine.

We all make decisions. I chose family over skiing at this point. It hasn't been easy, but it'll work.

As for comparing seasons dibs, I for sure know I missed a gooder no doubt, but life throws curve balls and you can try to hit em or watch em go by. I will never forget my time and friends in the Wasatch, and who knows maybe I'll be back? Real life decisions are tough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    <snip> Real life decisions are tough.
    Yup. Adulting sucks.

I'm counting down the days until I don't have to do it any more.

Odd that the base ikon only blocked prez weekend and not the whole week
    . . .

Other than ski patrol the people who work up at the hill don't appear to actualy ski it very much

Angleparking & I cut ski run for the passes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yup. Adulting sucks.

I'm counting down the days until I don't have to do it any more.
    Not me. I'm enjoying it too much to ask for it to speed up. Yeah, I gotsa 9-5 but I'm still shooting for 45-50 days this year. I spent years getting the family to the point where they dream of turns, where my southern-born wife loves the steeps, and now I'm gonna reap those rewards a while. Perfect family trips where everyone wants the steepest thing they can find and begs for another hike up Highlands before we drive home, or another lap on Spellbound, or another traverse out to Altar Bowl. Son hucking everything he can find, daughter skiing at absurd speeds her friends won't touch, kids heading back for night skiing so my wife and I have date night. Kids keeping me young as we play follow the leader on stuff (or off of stuff) I have very little business trying to tear up anymore. Keeping me young. I want life to slow down. It's exactly right, right now.

So yeah, I probably cap out at about 50 days a year, but damn, they are a good 50 days. I guess thank you Ikon - without it, we'd still be skiing, but the road trip thing is really special.

In a few years, when the kids are out of the house, then I'll be trying to spend more time on the mountain (or turning wheels on dirt) again, but for now, I'm good.

Edit: thanks for indulging my reverie. Daughter had a big sporting moment last night. Was both awesome and a reminder that college sports are calling soon, which will change the scene for me. Both incredible and bittersweet.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    <snip> Yeah, I gotsa 9-5
    I'm just talking about getting away from this horseshit. I've never really been much of a fan of being an adult... or work.

And the sooner I can get away from it, the better.

For now, however, I shall continue to be an irresponsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    no wonder the resorts have such a hard time filling jobs now with pass prices so low the benefit of getting a free pass is almost negligible.
    This was my main point, the benefits of a free pass are negligible, so its hardly the mark of a "true ski bum" (whatever that means). Didn't mean to sound douchey but I figure most people move to ski towns to, well, ski. More money and more time to ski (freedom) seems like a win win to me, so I am always baffled when people ask me why I don't work on the hill. We can't all be ski bums forever, so I figure while I'm doing it I might as well do it right and not get some low paying day job "for the pass."

Didn't mean to sound douchey but
    Try harder

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

um yeah I get up at 5am crunch new snow and base depth #ers for 15 minutes - an hour send a couple emails a tweet or 2 record a phone message and im done for the day
    4 days on 4 days off
    I get $10 a report and 30 days at every ski resort in utardia so yeah an hour or 2 a week for a $3000 pass doesn't suck nor does not punching in at 4:20 to work all night
    if it makes your $680 of freedom seem worth it to you give the man the money
    id rather givea very small amount of my time
    I did do 13 seasons in which I did occasionally work when lifts were spinning which set me up for one of the best ski bum gigs
    evarz
    mostly cause I don't need to pimp me or my skiing or cater to fartsniffing followers or partake in social media other than what I want
    Last edited by skifishbum; 03-23-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Arguing over who is more core never gets old.

yes it does
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    yes it does
    Almost as bad as people on Facebook snapping pictures of food.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Math is hard but 80 days a season amortises the $700 ski pass to 8 bucks a day

it costs more for the gas needed to drive up the hill

the problem is not that the price of a ski pass is too expensive

the problem is that people don't ski enough

the infamous Lothar pointed out " we live too well and we have too much money to be ski bums ... we're skiing gentlemen "

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Math is hard but 80 days a season amortises the $700 ski pass to 8 bucks a day

it costs more for the gas needed to drive up the hill

the problem is not that the price of a ski pass is too expensive

the problem is that people don't ski enough

the infamous Lothar pointed out " we live too well and we have too much money to be ski bums ... we're skiing gentlemen "
    Shh...people always tell me skiing is too expensive. I just say "not the way I do it." Also its a whole lot cheaper than the therapy I'd probably need without it.

So 84 pages but I never looked at this thread till last week cuz all along i thot it was some place in the excited states I had never heard of where people went skiing and I never would

or SFT eh
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Arguing over who is more core never gets old.
    good news is I sent my moneys
    and ikon and will be on your slopes
    and will bring my case for coreness to you and the mayor of yur podunk montucky condo town mountain irl next season
    if my I don't do bobbers hudge fly fishin coreness doesn't bring me there before
    then I can don my I skied and fished with harry t shirt so my coreness will be evident to all
    Im stoked join my ikon friends in the skier protection program

and am goin
    on my picture
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno