Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Charleston, SC scoops?

Find myself going there for work every once in a while these days. Generally hang with local peeps (friends/colleagues) but just wondering if I am missing something restaurants/bars wise as well as any other scoops. Don't usually have time to fish/beach and suck at golf but happy for the info.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Check out Hank's if you haven't already.

Also, if you have a little extra time, make the drive an hour south to Beaufort... an awesome little town with tons of history. It's like a miniature Charleston, set right on the Beaufort River.

Hardly insider knowledge, but Husk and McCready's restaurants are both awesome.

Have walked by 100x and still haven't been in. Always end up @ mkt pavilion rooftop and pearls. Have been to Husk and Taco Boy- all great spots. and Shem Creek whatever bar over in Mt P...

Poes on Sullivans for a solid burger. Square Onion, Mozzo or Ted's Butcher Block for lunch.

Fig, Opal, S.N.O.B., Red Drum, MacIntosh, Husk or Tratorria Luca for Dinner. Boathouse or Morgan Creek provide good views and decent food.

Hyman's is a tourist trap with mediocre food.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Home Team BBQ on Sullivan's
    http://hometeambbq.com/locations/sullivans-island/

The "Wreck" on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant for fried seafood
    http://www.wreckrc.com/

Feel like taking a nice drive and seeing some low country? Head an hour south down to Edisto Island and eat here:
    http://www.theoldpostofficerestaurant.com/

Get the shrimp and grits

Husk (as mentioned) is amazing. There are other notable fine-dining options in town.

I lived in Chucktown for 10 years. Still have many friends in the area. Great place to visit.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Home Team BBQ on Sullivan's
    http://hometeambbq.com/locations/sullivans-island/

The "Wreck" on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant for fried seafood
    http://www.wreckrc.com/

Feel like taking a nice drive and seeing some low country? Head an hour south down to Edisto Island and eat here:
    http://www.theoldpostofficerestaurant.com/

Get the shrimp and grits

Husk (as mentioned) is amazing. There are other notable fine-dining options in town.

I lived in Chucktown for 10 years. Still have many friends in the area. Great place to visit.
    ya all the food down there is unreal in general- have done magnolia's and a few other places which I can;t remember. O Ku is good sushi, and fish is good, too. Like closed for business for beers- not overly collegy.

Thanks for the scoops everyone- do love it down there. One of these days will drag the wife and stay at charleston place-

I spend quite a bit of time in Charleston. In my opinion it's one of the greatest cities in America for its combination of history, food, culture, and beauty.

A few have been mentioned already but to focus on food here are some of my favorites: (mind you, as you probably already know Chas has been a top food destination for years)

Husk and McCrady's (Sean Brock is probably one of the 5 top rising American chefs right now. His food is dynamite)

Cru Cafe

F.I.G.

SNOB

Tratorria Luca

Magnolia's

High Cotton

Hominy Grill

Bowen's Island Restaurant for Low Country roasted oysters

Rooftops:

Vendue Inn
    Market Pavilion Hotel
    Henry's House
    Social Restaurant + Wine Bar

Check out eater.com's Charleston page for restaurant happenings around town

Hit up Folley Beach on a Saturday and party your face off

Ogle some of the best looking women in America and CoC coeds (given your handle I might keep a long distance)

Drop the wife and kids off to shop along King St.

Knowing a little of your taste you would enjoy Ben Silver (fine tailored clothing) and Dumas & Sons (think Barbour, V.V., Southern Tide etc)

Take a day and drive down US 17 to Savannah hitting up places like Beaufort, Bluffton, Hilton Head and off Savannah, Tybee Is. and Wilmington Is.

Isle of Palms is a nice spot to stay, you might even see Bill Murray around, but I'm not sure since his divorce.

Have fun!
    I still call it The Jake.

Lived in Charleston for 20+ years - the Wreck, Bowens Island and Luca are the gems in this thread. If you really want local - Miss Kitty's and (assume they are still there, been gone 3 years) - get the fried chicken, it will change your life.

Also, you can head north up 17 and stop in at Bulls Bay Hardware for a hotdog and boiled peanuts, turn left and head into the town of McClellanville. Cool little working town.

Binky has it right. (BTW - remember Your Place?)
    Last edited by givethepigeye; 09-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

x10 Husk and McCrady's

x2 Poe's

x2 Homney

x1000 on don't go to fucking Hymans.

Pearlz is a pretty solid choice that you're already going to.

Also I think it's Murray's ex-wife that lives on Sully's.

The blind tiger, or so I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
    Lived in Charleston for 20+ years - the Wreck, Bowens Island and Luca are the gems in this thread. If you really want local - Miss Kitty's and (assume they are still there, been gone 3 years) - get the fried chicken, it will change your life.

Also, you can head north up 17 and stop in at Bulls Bay Hardware for a hotdog and boiled peanuts, turn left and head into the town of McClellanville. Cool little working town.

Binky has it right. (BTW - remember Your Place?)
    Your Place: Holy shit that place made an awesome burger! It was my go-to staple when I lived downtown. Then, once I moved out to Sullivan's, it was Berts Bar for me (every night really) and Doghouse Grille (before it closed)

As far as the Blind Tiger: that is a great bar, but is riddled with college kids. I am unsure that Old Larry would find it to be his thing, but then again, I don't know Old Larry. My former roommate bartended at the Tiger for years.

-Scottish Proverb

I would also like to add to my list Pattaya Thai in Mount Pleasant. It ain't the fanciest, but it was absolutely my favorite Thai place in the Charleston area.

-Scottish Proverb

To add to my earlier list and other great recs here is The Ordinary - FIG Chef's newer spot in Upper King
    I still call it The Jake.

Nice. People already named my fav's. +FIG, +SNOB, +McCrady's and Husk, + Blind Tiger. I haven't been to Blind Tiger in at least 7 years, so the crowd may have changed. One place I have to add is Mustard Seed, in Summerville. Worth the drive for a nice, cheap lunch. Oh, and for the expensive loafer set, the cigar lounge near the slave market is pretty cool for taking it easy.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Bump. Got 3 solid days to spend there next week. I've never been to the south.

Anyone have any recent recommendations?

Going to play a little disc golf and generally just chill and shed some mid-season HAPE.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I was gonna go there back in the fall and BMills wrote me up what seemed like a really good outline of the bars, hotels and restaurants. Unfortunately, (it's unfortunate that I am a numbnuts) I appear to have accidentally deleted it. So I recommend PMing BMills over and over until he responds. I know talking about southern food and beverages will cheer him up.

I stayed at the Vendue and ate at SNOB about this time last year. I can recommend the Vendue as a good, centrally located place to stay but can't really remember much of the meal at SNOB due to the Vendue's rooftop bar.

Will PM BMills, maybe he has it in his sent folder;
    Got an airbnb in avondale/st. andrews.

I went there back in September.

We ate at High Cotton, Zero, and Prohibition.
    Zero was touted as the best multi course fixed price with wine pairings. It was ok. I can get much better here in St Petersburg, which totally surprised me.

Prohibition was cool, but a little too hipsterish for us.

High Cotton was great.

We did a walking tour that was very informative, and we ate lunch at the Lagunitas Brew Pub, and that was one of the best meals we had, probably because we stumbled on it, and I got to drink a bunch of great sours.

We did the market and a tour of the plantation from The Note, or whatever Nicholas Sparks book/movie that was. The tour was really cool and I learned a ton about the slavery history and plantations of Charleston. Hint: nothing like the movies.

It is an awesome city with awesome history and a great vibe. I walked away a little bit disappointed with the food, since it is always touted as a foodie paradise. On further reflection, I just realized that the food scene where I live has improved so much that I have become a little spoiled.

Thanks.

I might sound like a yankee douche, but I have no interest in southern history or architecture. I also could give 0 shits about what is trendy food. I know food better than 90% of most anyone, and I'm just not going in there for that aspect. And I don't need a low country boil or whatever they call their soup.

I've downloaded some maps for public oyster harvesting. Much more my style. And bookmarked tiny local eats in various neighborhoods.

I'm 100% with you on the beer though, but I'm not paying money to drink a Cali beer that I can walk across the street and get. Thinking about renting a bike to explore the downtown for a day. Should be able to bump into some good real stuff.

Go there at least once a year but unfortunately am always with family or friends on the beach, rarely do anything else. Do know quite a bit of locals, will have to ask.
    "Can't you see..."

Husk. Never been to the one there, but the one in Nashville is great.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Charleston, SC scoops?

We don’t get into town much anymore, but there’s great food out toward Mount P and the islands.

Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s is fantastic.

ACME Lowcountry Kitchen on IOP gets hit every time we’re down there. The Dozer is worth the trip alone.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thanks.

I might sound like a yankee douche,
    No, you'd be a douche here too.

Maybe specify your interests next time you are looking for suggestions.
    Standing on a dirty boat with a giant rake looking for bivalves in muddy flats is a pretty obscure interest.

BTW- Low Country boil is not soup.
    Have fun storming the castle.