Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    When was the last time a new ski resort opened in the US. I've listed examples where permits for cool new resorts have been denied. Where is the resort expansion this summer in the states?

You don't get it, we can still be green, but we should stand up for skiing rights first.

I guess cj is an eco nazi first and a skier second, or third...

Quote Originally Posted by Kya View Post
    This is freakin retarded. Our filming laws are more strict then our gun laws. The government can control a few skiers filiming skiing but can't control who gets guns

Bit of a stretch I know, but it shows how wacked our government's priorities are IMO.
    more than a bit of a stretch. since the government has it wrong, in your opinion, on guns, you think it should be consistent and fuck up the Wilderness too?

how in the hell is the government "controlling" a few skiers filming skiing? if it's that in-fucking-portant that all of the film is shown, maybe you should petition Davenport to release it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by danimal's dead View Post
    When was the last time a new ski resort opened in the US. I've listed examples where permits for cool new resorts have been denied. Where is the resort expansion this summer in the states?

You don't get it, we can still be green, but we should stand up for skiing rights first.

phew. I thought you were being serious earlier, but now I can tell you're just trolling. glad to know you aren't really that stupid.

I agree with the idea of filming permits, but it's unfortunate that the forest service is putting their resources against Dav when clearly there are more pressing issues.........atleast what we see here daily in the Wasatch.

Those being, no enforcement of non-motorized areas being poached by snowmobiles. The FS seems impotent to those infractions, but jumps on the 'no filming permit' infraction.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by IridePow View Post
    That FS verdict blows.

I was really looking forward to this film.
    Now I might have to watch some mediocre version.
    on a positive note, next time you venture near one of the peaks in question, you'll have that much less shit paper, scarred trees, and habituated bears to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I agree with the idea of filming permits, but it's unfortunate that the forest service is putting their resources against Dav when clearly there are more pressing issues.........atleast what we see here daily in the Wasatch.

Those being, no enforcement of non-motorized areas being poached by snowmobiles. The FS seems impotent to those infractions, but jumps on the 'no filming permit' infraction.

Sad.
    good point, except the two areas you speak about are in completely separate regions. the FS is impotent to those infractions because congress and the administration have not seen it fit to fund even the bare necessities as far as law enforcement and resource protection goes.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    since Davenports sponsors paid to film the project, I'd say its commercial, so they fucked up and should've had a permit beforehand. seems pretty black and white. Im sure the other footage they can use will be fine for his purposes anyway. its a moot point
    Exactly. I want the film to be shown, I just don't want to deal with the blow-by of the Permit Process being given the finger. They COULD cease all commercial shoots for a while while they "review" their policy, and that would suck for a shitload of people who didn't mind filling out a form and paying $150.

C'mon 666 - you know that "making money" doesn't necessarily mean anything. You shoot it, you charge people to see it, it's a Commercial "for profit" production.

Bottom line is they should have known better (it seems they did, hence the delayed application for permit.) To take a page from Hairy's somewhat retarded book is they might have had a better time if they hadn't fessed up to already having broken the rules. No Government Agency I know is OK with that.

I thought this was fun and I need to boost my post count...

from http://photoshopnews.com/2006/05/01/...location-fees/

Ken Duncan Says:

May 7th, 2006 at 9:10 pm
    Wake up America as this is the thin edge of the wedge. We have tried to warn you that heavy changes are coming to your parks system as we have realy coped it down here and it still is getting worse.
    As photographers we all want to see the beauty of nature perserved. We also understand that any body wanting to take Photographs that is possible going to have an adverse impact on our natural wonders then that person should pay to have Park people present so there is no damage done to the resourse for future generations. The trouble is, we as Landscape photogrhers are being bundled in with the bigger impact users. I read some remarks on your forum that Ansel Adams would still be able to take his photos but I can gaurantee from our history here in Australia that that will not be the case. As beauracy works in small bites taking your rights slowly until one day you wake up and say how did we ever allow this to Happen.
    We have tried to warn you as fellow Photographer. We even sent an article to outdoor Photography but they didn’t even bother to respond as I pressume their attitude was, how could anything happening Downunder effect mighty America?
    If you think these changes are bad this is only the beginning, year by year they will get worse. The Parks system will bombard you with reports that are hundreds of pages long all in the name of bio diversite and enviromental protection or wording like this. These terms sort of sound good because as Landscape photographers we are all about protecting the beauty of creation. This is what really motivates most landscape photographers, the desire to show the wonder of creation and spend time in it. But seeded through these documents will be paragraphs that effect greatly our ability and rights to take photos of nature as we have been able to in the past. Then just when you are trying to get your head around the changes that Parks are trying to impose then there will be more documentation. We as photograhers begin to feel overwhelmed and wonder how beauracrates ever came up with such regulations. We are busy just trying to make a living at what we love. By this point the changes will then start to be about Parks owning the interlectual property rights on the natural phenomina. For anyone to use photos of their park they will have to pay royalties to the park. So when a photographer takes a photo they will say he owns the copyright on the photo but he won’t. The photographers rights will be overriden by the copyrights issues of the park. By Parks will get you to sign permission forms to take photographs in their parks. These forms will start sort of inocently and then head towards the direction of having wording like, photographers may use the images to promote only things which are appropriate to Park values. Of course when you actually ask the park to state there values they will try to avoid that or otherwise photographers will then see how screwed they are. Really in the end it is all about copyright over natural creation if the Parks or individuals get this then they can control the usages of all photographers work as tis is where these people think the money is. Another thing that will also appear in Parks documents is that relating to traditional values of indiginous groups. This is really open ended, as some small group of people all of a sudden believes that a certain part of nature is of spiritual importance and should not be showen because of their ever changing beliefs. Of course if you pay them the apprpriate amount of money then these thing maybe able to be got around.
    Now when Parks and Groups get interlectual proprty rights on the natural creation this then puts them in the possition of power and then allows them to deal with image libarys who buy the rights for image usages for the areas in question.
    These idiotic pencil pushing burecrates see photographers making money and they have this grand dillusion that they are making a fortune out of images from their Parks and they want a bit of the action. They have this false impression that photographers are in it for the money and they want their pound of flesh. The reality in fact is quite diffent most landscape photographers are doing what they do because of the life stile and their love of nature and with out our gifts and talent many of these parks would never have come to the attention of the nation unless photographers had opened people eyes to these beautiful locations. It is ironic that now we the ones who where used to champion the cause of protection of our natural wonders are now being put in the crosshairs of the beauracates guns. They should not be shooting the messengers who have helped them but benifit from the additional tourism that our expose has bought their parks. What they need to do is manage their park fee incomes better and work with photographers to provide their own Official Park products where all the proceeds go back to the upkeep of the park. This would make far more for them than any fees they want to charge. It doestn’t mean that they restrict other people selling product in the parks as they are already making a hundred percent mark up on those products that they buy from supliers (far more than the photographers) The Parks have a great market advantage. What person would not support the park product if they new the proceeds were going back to the upkeep of the resource. This is true user pays as people want to buy soveniers of their visit so this is a way for the parks to really benifit from the increased tourism and give them extra finances to manage their areas.

DownunderIn Australia the restrictions on photography are out of control and representitives of your parks services have come here to see how they operate in view of incorporatiing changes into your park service. The main Park they have been looking at is Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park here in Australia and this has been spoken of as agreat example of Park Management yet it is off the planet and totally out of touch with reality. Photographers are treated like criminals at this location and restriction are so great that it is a real sorrow to be even out their as you are made to feel like a oppertunist. The restriction on where you can shoot are so bad that it really will upset any landscape photographer. The rangers in these parks have the power to arrest you and remove you from the park as well as confiscate your equipment. They can also fine you tens of thousands of dollars if you breach any of their regulations. And when they take you to court and intimidate you with legal action the government pays for all their expenses and you the lone photographer have to deal with all your own expenses. This would be sad enough if it was only happening at this Park but now the cancer is spreading all throughout Australia on all levels Federal, State and Local councils.
    In Australia we are so upset at what is happening with the loss of our freedoms as Artists that we have set up a new group called Arts Freedom Australia and it is acting as a group to get different photographic groups together to start fighting back.
    Please America take this threat on your freedom seriousl or otherwise you will have to fight to regain stolen rights. Just as we having to do now.

Good Luck And God Bless you as your fight will not be just for you but will strenghten our resolve.

Ken Duncan
    Landscape Photographer
    Australia

When was the last time a new ski resort opened in the US.
    Silverton Mountain:2000. Tamarack: 2005. Moonlight Basin 2003 (?). Blacktail opened lat 90's?

I've listed examples where permits for cool new resorts have been denied. Where is the resort expansion this summer in the states?
    Crystal Mountain. New Northback lift.

Are we having pigs in a blanquet with sauce bernaise or just ranting at each other. I wanna know.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I prefer Tapenade and water crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Exactly. I want the film to be shown, I just don't want to deal with the blow-by of the Permit Process being given the finger. They COULD cease all commercial shoots for a while while they "review" their policy, and that would suck for a shitload of people who didn't mind filling out a form and paying $150.

C'mon 666 - you know that "making money" doesn't necessarily mean anything. You shoot it, you charge people to see it, it's a Commercial "for profit" production.

Bottom line is they should have known better (it seems they did, hence the delayed application for permit.) To take a page from Hairy's somewhat retarded book is they might have had a better time if they hadn't fessed up to already having broken the rules. No Government Agency I know is OK with that.
    to quote snowbird, chewgotit bassackwards....they shouldn't have ever even spoken with any official regarding their project, once they asked, cost was incurred and a permit was needed.......triple six has it right....you have it wrong....

Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Works great in the military....

The major problem these guys face is that if they want to distribute the movie or even do a speaking/film tour they will probably have to get sponsors and a distributor. I think they have, or had, a deal with REI to do a tour, and I'd bet they are looking for a DVD deal.
    Any contract they sign with a sponsor or distributor will require that they have cleared all of the locations used (everything from interior interview locations to the tops of peaks) with location agreements and/or permits.
    If they just say "fuck it" and go for it they will get shut down and probably fined by the Forest Service and the sponsor/distributor contracts will most likely be voided. Plus they will have a shit storm of more bad PR for all involved.
    The Forest Service is not a big fan of people asking for permission to do stuff after the fact. That's anything from logging, snowmobiling, hunting, filming, trail building, etc. They don't like the "well, we didn't know" defense.
    JMHO

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    I chuckled at this:

“Really good skiing doesn’t promote wilderness,” Doak said.
    I agree in the literal sense, it's just funny to me that the USFS all of a sudden would even pretend like they actually take an honest interest in "promoting wilderness."

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    So does this affect his presentation in Golden on Friday?
    Info? Did a check on his site and the mountaineering center site....didn't find anything. Would like to check this out.

Fine, I'll follow tgr party line.

America bad, oil bad, people in the mountains bad, Red Sox good.

You forgot "Mormons Bad."

Oh, and 1/2 think Helis are bad, the other half thinks SOC is retarded.

Fine, I'll follow tgr party line.

America bad, oil bad, people in the mountains bad, Red Sox good.
    You'll have to advance to level 14 of the organic herring pickle dance and suck up to clean, concise, contrite conceptulizations. Only then will the truth of equivariant snort bundles open their festooned bronze horned breasts of wonder unto you and your ilk.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Some dude who has "clips" of "wilderness" "on his website" arguing with an accredited news camera guy.

Popcorn please.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

........ Red Sox good.
    not last night

They COULD cease all commercial shoots for a while while they "review" their policy, and that would suck for a shitload of people who didn't mind filling out a form and paying $150.

$150 is the application fee. Daily filming fees on FS and Wildnerness can be implemented as well. In the tune of 100-150/day of filming.

The Grand Teton National Park recently re-worded their permit page to state "Ask for permission, not forgiveness". Something changed in the feds response across the nation, not just in Colorado.

It's been said before, but I would venture a guess that 90% of the 'production companies' don't, and never have had filming permits while on fed lands.

You forgot "Mormons Bad."

Oh, and 1/2 think Helis are bad, the other half thinks SOC is retarded.
    What does this have to do with the discussion? Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by steadieflow View Post
    Info? Did a check on his site and the mountaineering center site....didn't find anything. Would like to check this out.

This was part of the email I received from 14ers.com:

The Colorado Fourteener's Initiative (CFI) annual fundraiser, Fiesta for the Peaks, will be held Friday, May 4th 6:00pm, at the American Mountaineering Center in Golden. Join the CFI for an introduction by Lou Dawson and feature presentation by Chris Davenport. Proceeds go to the protection and preservation of our 14ers!

Tickets:
    General Admission is $30 in advance / $45 at the door
    Premier Admission with Reserved Seats: $54 in advance
    CFI Volunteer Admission: $25 in advance

For more information or to purchase tickets, please call 303-278-7650

Quote Originally Posted by Free Range Lobster View Post
    Some dude who has "clips" of "wilderness" "on his website" arguing with an accredited news camera guy.

Popcorn please.
    ahem, mr butterhead, I have a commercial venture featuring the john muir wilderness via web, print and local TV since around 1990.....I have had meetings with district rangers, PIO's, wilderness planners, and while they certainly want to protect their cushy jobs replete with meetings and travel, they have to impose fees and they want to collect them as fast as they can, so therefore, why haven't they shut me down.....and for the record, I sold my http://www.395.com, (the most complete site of it's time regarding the eastern sierra and high sierra regions of california) to the son of schat's bakkery in order to focus more on skiing.....but what do I know.....

sarcasm disallowed?