Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    They use to let non FIS racers ski in the Winter Olympics. They use to show all kinds of footage from these "Olympians" back in the day.
    Incorrect. All Olympic athletes competing in an event run by the FIS (all olympic sports are run by the sports governing federation) must have a valid FIS license in order for their National Governing Body to enlist them for competition at the the Olympic Games.
    The original conversation goes back to statement that a North African nation was competing in the discipline of Downhill. For safety reasons an athlete needs maximum 120 FIS points to compete in Downhill and SuperG events at a World Cup, World Championships and Olympic Games, there are no exceptions to this. There are current World Cup athletes that struggle to get their FIS points below 120 in Downhill. Marie Michele Gagnon of CAN , who finished 14th overall last season had to race in some Europa Cup level events to get here Downhill points lower in order to to compete in World Cup Downhill events.
    Less experienced or less qualified athletes with over 120 points are eligible to compete in the disciplines in Giant Slalom and Slalom. This is where you see non typical skiing nations competing in the Olympics and World Championships, but not in Downhill.

still you see skiers at an Olympic that you wouldn't see at a WC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    still you see skiers at an Olympic that you wouldn't see at a WC
    Do you see them in downhill and super-G or just slalom at the Olympics? I only recall seeing them try to ski slalom with varying degrees of success. Letting inexperienced skiers into the speed events would be a safety hazard.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I did a couple of races just to get to the olympics but my buddy follows it and was a racer official type

If a country only gets to send a limited number of skiers to the olympics then a whole bunch of top euro's won't be there

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Stenmark = 86 world cup wins, Bode = 33.
    There are plenty between Bode and Stenmark:
    Vonn
    Moser-Proell
    Schneider
    Maier
    Tomba
    Goetschl
    Girardelli
    Paerson
    Zurbriggen
    Schild
    Raich
    Seizing
    Wenzel
    Yeah, I know, wasn’t exactly my point... he’d be way higher on he list is the point..... but yeah
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You have to wonder how great he could have been if he didn't fight "the system" so much. Not saying he was wrong, but maybe he would have been even better if he took full advantage of the system. He would be Bode, though.
    In a realm of exceptional athletes he still had incredible multi-sport ability compared to his peers. It may be that his unique talents required unorthodox approaches, especially combined with his personality. It's easily possible that putting him in the "Team Spirit" mindset would have undermined his confidence significantly.

It's funny how among painters, poets, photographers and musicians the unique talent is seen as the greatest thing, but somehow in Bode's case, it's a demerit. I can't say I understand the desire to go back and see Conformity Bode try to beat what Bode-as-Bode did. I think it would be disappointing for everyone -- especially Bode.

He's a champ in my book.

I'm sure any former racer or race coach has the urge to see the "what if?" of Conformity Bode, where he takes rounder lines with less chance of blowing a gate or hooking a ski. But that's really like asking for Bode's athleticism in a different human being, isn't it?

Ski racing needed him to shake things up. I love athletes with so much talent that they break the mould, I remember seeing some writeup on his boots and they were bizarrely modified.

It was great he was actually successful and worked at it too. Not like Nick Kyrgios (tennis) who clown around and don't make anything of themselves. It was also nice to see despite his skiing style and differences with parts of the skiing establishment when stuff like his dsq for stack height being too high by some minute amount he just took in on the chin and moved on.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

Bode retired today

Came to post the one ski vid. Already done. But worth another look. If you've ever been anywhere near a slope prepared for the World Cup the video becomes that much more ridiculous.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LatVt6F8whQ

I was lucky enough to be in the finish line stands for his last competitive run unless I'm mistaken.

The energy in the crowd as he'd led at the second split was insane. Then he hit that fucking gate and blew up.

I can only imagine what that finish line would have been like, and what might have been in the future if he had finished that run...

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    I was lucky enough to be in the finish line stands for his last competitive run unless I'm mistaken.
    2015 Vail/Beaver Creek World Alpine Ski Championships. Mens Super G. He was up 0.11 after the first interval, 0.56 after the second interval before he hooked his arm on a gate in the Abysss section. The cut he sustained to his caff was pretty gruesome.
    Name:  2561B24000000578-2941984-image-a-46_1423185017952.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  31.6 KB

thats just racing eh

I remember a girl in the super G who wasnt very good going down and maybe injuring her knee but Skaardal was yelling at her to get off the course so they did not have to call a stop, all the coaches on that corner were oblivious to the racers going by cuz they were watching the race on an iphone so nobody was really paying any attention to the racer

time is money eh ... advertising money

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Miller might have only won 33 WCs (only!), but he won in every discipline at least five times. No one else has done that, not even Girardelli. He is a unique talent.

2015 Vail/Beaver Creek World Alpine Ski Championships. Mens Super G. He was up 0.11 after the first interval, 0.56 after the second interval before he hooked his arm on a gate in the Abysss section. The cut he sustained to his caff was pretty gruesome.
    Name:  2561B24000000578-2941984-image-a-46_1423185017952.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  31.6 KB
    That was gnarly. Patrol was ramming gauze in to that thing, and when his wife and kid made their way in to the coaches' corral, he was like, hey, I'm good, just hooked a panel. It was a bummer to see his comeback get squashed like that, his skiing was so on point that day.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    thats just racing eh
    I remember a girl in the super G who wasnt very good going down and maybe injuring her knee but Skaardal was yelling at her to get off the course so they did not have to call a stop, all the coaches on that corner were oblivious to the racers going by cuz they were watching the race on an iphone so nobody was really paying any attention to the racer
    time is money eh ... advertising money
    It's more about the Athlete having to get yellow flagged and have to stop part way through their run. The Athlete has warmed up, mentally prepared for their run, earned their starting position, prepared their skis for that specific time in the race conditions, only to get stopped halfway down their run. They then have to ski all the way to the bottom, get some warm clothes on, take off their race ski, switch to a travel ski, ride the lift to the top, ski down to start, get warmed up, get mentally ready, get on a fresh race ski, and get in start house 15-20 racers later, with a track that is beat up and rutted out.
    Damn right I'd yell at a racer lying on the track. Are you hurt or are you injured? Are you able to get up and out of the way, or are you going to lie there in self pity and ruin someone else Olympic run that they have worked towards and prepared themselves for the last 4 years.

It's more about the Athlete having to get yellow flagged and have to stop part way through their run. The Athlete has warmed up, mentally prepared for their run, earned their starting position, prepared their skis for that specific time in the race conditions, only to get stopped halfway down their run. They then have to ski all the way to the bottom, get some warm clothes on, take off their race ski, switch to a travel ski, ride the lift to the top, ski down to start, get warmed up, get mentally ready, get on a fresh race ski, and get in start house 15-20 racers later, with a track that is beat up and rutted out.
    Damn right I'd yell at a racer lying on the track. Are you hurt or are you injured? Are you able to get up and out of the way, or are you going to lie there in self pity and ruin someone else Olympic run that they have worked towards and prepared themselves for the last 4 years.
    Yeah, that's called ski racing. And it's inevitable, even when the intervals are longer for TV. And getting flagged off happens for other reasons as well--it's not ideal, but it has happened (more than once) to every racer in the world--it's not desirable, but if a racer can't hack it that's really on them (remember the Vonn/Mancuso incident at the Van Olympics?). Hard to imagine a FIS level racer just lying there for the fun of it--they have all been on the other side of that. Hell, I've never really seen a U14 fail to clear the course w/o a good reason.

Unqualified athletes in the Olympics is a subject in its own right. Eddie the Eagle is probably the most famous example--ski jumping in 1988. In 1990 the IOC instated the Eddie the Eagle rule, requiring athletes to qualify for the Olympics. Even today however, various sports--but not alpine skiing-- have universality places, which allows countries with no qualifying athletes to enter nonqualifying athletes. The female downhill racer I saw would have been in the late 70's or 80's I'm pretty sure--still searching for her but stuff in the pre internet era gets lost. Could have been Farida Rahmed who was Lebanese, not North African. She raced DH in 1980 and finished a minute behind the winner, but that time seems too fast for the skier I saw. I do remember that the skier in question went to school in Switzerland. An Egyptian man raced downhill in 1984 and finished in twice the time of Bill Johnson--he raced in HS in the US but never FIS . 2 morrocan men and one moroccan woman raced SG in 1992 and finished with respectable times--they would have had to qualify under whatever the rules were at the time. In the summer olympics I recall seeing an African swimmer who couldn't make it to the end of the pool.

The Olympics have changed a lot over the years--most obviously in allowing professional athletes (too late for Jim Thorpe). Qualification has certainly been fairer for athletes who have a realistic chance of finishing well but something has been lost in the process. One of the charms of big marathons is that reasonably fit and determined recreational runners can "compete" against world class athletes, although they're hopelessly behind by the time they make it to the starting line.

Bode will be a legend in US skiing for a long time. I thought he retired 2 years ago though.

Kinda like when they asked Rocky Henderson when he retired and he said he never did and was still waiting for a call or something like that.

Lindsey Vonn fucked Julia Mancuso in the Olympics by laying on the course

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Lindsey Vonn fucked Julia Mancuso in the Olympics by laying on the course
    Sounds hot!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Yeah Bode’s great. Always loved his “fuck you” style. He could be really entertaining as a commentator.
    missed this, first round. enjoy his commentary so much more than AJ's. gotta dig up the video of him in the beater winnebago doing his DIY training regime. pure gold.
    I remember a better version of this but can't find it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhomqD74gw
    Last edited by willywhit; 12-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    the other BOMBER
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

The thing I admire the most about Bode is the way he hews to a singular definition of success. I remember reading somewhere about his concept of the "perfect" run, with finishing time not necessarily being indicative of perfection. He allowed that good times often follow from pursuing that avatar but denied that they were in any way the goal.

TLDR:
    Bode Miller = No fucks given.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Horrible news from his family today. So sad.

Fuk - that’s horrible

Olympian Bode Miller's 19-Month-Old Daughter Dies After Drowning in Pool: 'We Are Beyond Devastated'

https://people.com/babies/bode-mille...wning-in-pool/
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Awful.. so sorry for the family. "Pool accident" may lead to a lot of second guessing / guilt. So sad.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TGR Forums mobile app