Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2020

Flat of tomatoes, flat of peppers in the S window w/ full spec LED.

Garden beds (qty 2, 20x10ft) are partially planted w/ greens, brassicas, carrots, beets, peas. Lots more to come. Goal is to be better w/ succession planting this year. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200410_072213.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	324854

https://phys.org/news/2020-04-small-...an-clocks.html

could go in the cool science thread

Planted a hybrid apple tree back in January, 5 varieties of apple. Starting sprouting last few weeks. I’m not overly optimistic I’ll get apples by this fall but fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	325155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	325156

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rolled by home depot at 9am on a Tuesday this week and the parking lot was more full than the typical Saturday.

Wondering what I could charge people/ how to estimate fair wage for rotolilling gardens. Seems like I could pay off a $500 tiller in a few days. I’d have to build a shed to store the tiller but would be nice for other things. Kind of a tail chasing thought, but seems like safe easy money and a work out. Safer than pruning neighbor trees with a chainsaw. I’ve been doing some with loppers and a pole saw.

Name:	5EBF9E3A-2616-4302-9DED-AF70D11402FA.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	862.0 KB 
ID:	325756
    watch out for snakes

Planted some tomatoes a cuke zucchini and herbs today. More tomatoes, eggplants, cukes and peppers to come
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Planted some tomatoes a cuke zucchini and herbs today. More tomatoes, eggplants, cukes and peppers to come
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    DPPS

Ain’t much else to do around here, been planting stuff for the last couple weeks. Spent today reclaiming my old gardening space, put in more onions, potatoes and built and planted hills with pumpkins and watermelons.

Peas, radishes, multiple varieties of lettuce, beets, carrots, spinach, oregano, rosemary, mint, broccoli, green onions, chives, parsley and strawberries are all in the ground and up.

Now have 47 walla walla onions and 42 potatoes in the ground. I should have a good harvest this fall.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF93C53F-CAC3-4189-9B22-6041D28D4F5D.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	974.5 KB 
ID:	325806

Radishes, lettuce(s), green beans, cukes, and zucchini seeded. Peppers and a couple tomatoes planted. Hay bales are fertilized and waiting for tomatoes. Adds some space and prevents disease which is a problem.

Name:	IMG_9895.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	325879

I was going to plant the tomatoes yesterday but held off due to frost. Glad I did. The packs against the house are fine, but the few I planted to give them a head start didn’t fare so well. Only 6 feet apart but the roof overhang makes all the difference. Only got down to 34, but that was apparently low enough for some frost.

Name:	IMG_9890.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	325880
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My battle preparations for the upcoming slug war have begun. About 17 scouts were spotted the last 2 evenings making their way to my garden, they were quickly dispatched with a plier squeeze to the head. Found a few of the tiny white babies that look like snot, squashed their heads like a kids in the hall skit.

Dug trenches, added a lava rock barrier wall (the best most magnificent wall you’ve ever seen folks), coffee grounds on the flanks and slug poison around the perimeter.

Every evening at 9pm I make my way out with a flashlight in my pajamas and murder the mother fuckers with pliers.

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	326338

Savage.
    So glad UT is dry enough that I don't have to study advanced slug warfare!

They get huge in western WA.

Name:	IMG_4575.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	845.9 KB 
ID:	326340

Don't forget the snails, bro.

The slug killer kills snails too. I don’t have that many snails but they are a pleasure to kill. The crunch is satisfying.

I chuck em out to the street. I found my bottle of Sluggo today.

Used to have backyard chickens. Snail destroyers. Protein slurp treats delivered by the fistful.

,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200424_160424.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	326350

Escartoe.

My original comment was on the size and ferocity of dem snailers. Lil dude on the toe barely makes the cut for long jump team.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Savage.
    So glad UT is dry enough that I don't have to study advanced slug warfare!
    I do battle with snails every year, I use a product called deadline, kills the fuckers in their slimy tracks.

Still nothing to do every weekend so gardening it is. Been itching to make a few new boxes so I broke down and made an on-line order with Lowes for some cedar planks, stakes, bird seed, fertilizer, gardening tools and some other odds and ends. Ordered it all Thursday night, Friday afternoon I got the email it was ready for pick up. I waited a half hour and headed there, the pick up area was rather vaguely signed. Luckily I saw an employee helping someone in the garden area, asked him about on-line pick ups, he takes my name and order number and called it in. Tells me they’re looking for it and he’ll be back. An hour later and after a couple swing bys to tell me they’re still looking for it he tells me they can’t find it and can I come back in an hour, sure.

An hour later I come back, park in the “curbside loading area” and there is nobody to be found. I venture inside the packed with whole families store and ask about my order. They tell me they have it and will meet me at the garden center gate, whew. I meet the girl at the gate, she wheels the cart with my stuff over and wants to help me load it. I insure her I have it and I’ll be fine. Load up my crap and leave. I get home and realize a large portion of my order is missing.

I call and attempt to navigate their phone system, getting no answer numerous times after sitting through three menus. Finally someone answers and it’s the same girl that brought me out my order. I explain what was missing, she brings up my order and we confirm together what I didn’t get. She asks if I want to come get it right then, I tell her I’ll just come in tomorrow (today).

Today I head there first thing to find the place even busier, six people waiting for the customer service desk without room for said six people. I tough it out and patiently wait through the fucking moron ahead of me that had to ask the service rep about her necklace and where did she get it, thus sparking a long conversation about it. Apparently fashion and jewelry are still in vogue even through a pandemic.

I finally get my turn at the wheel of no help, I patiently explain I didn’t get part of my order and this is my third time here. Give the woman my order number and she can’t find it, I hear her call Megan, the same girl that brought me my order and I talked to last night. I finally feel relief, Megan comes up front and is completely clueless to my predicament. Tells me if I want to wait they will pull the rest of my order as quickly as they can.

Waiting was not an option in my current state of mind, I calmly told her I’d be in Monday to get the rest of my order. Walked to my car, unlocked it, got in, and screamed FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, till I felt a bit better. Monday morning I will be calling the store and in my best Karen voice will be asking for the manager.

On another note I put in an order with Lambert Growers and will be picking up curbside 20 various pepper plants, a funky pumpkin, a superstar melon, a weird cucumber, and some bug chasing marigolds. Lambert is a small nursery that has their shit together much better than the big boxes.

Spent today building a new box. My manager wanted to borrow my truck to get some compost for his yard projects, he brought my truck back to me with 3/4 of a yard of compost, score. Filled up the new box and made another hill for my incoming melon. Boredom set in and I stained all the rest of my boxes. I have enough planks to make another 4x4 box and a 4x8 box in my pea/radish/soon to be cucumber area that is currently ties. Projects for the next boredom days.

Name:	3ABCFA31-AD8C-41C2-9CD0-45E34CD11EF6.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	326444

Name:	02B12915-3624-4FEF-85F6-51277ADAFDEF.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	326445

Trying some Hugelkultur beds this year.

The struggle is real.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Not sure if this belongs here or in one of a couple covid malaise threads. We haven't been able to get out of our own way here at Chez Riser, we've been in a funk. I've been eyeing the crumbling raised beds in the garden for a few weeks now every time I go out on the back deck for a few minutes of vitamin D. I slowly arrived at the idea of pulling up the rotting wood and turning the area back into a regular garden plot. On Friday I had meant to call the rental place for a tiller and got distracted by my day job. Yesterday dawned sunny and beautiful. I lamented that I hadn't called and didn't know if they were open or shut down. My wife gave me one of her looks and said give them a call. Sure enough, they were open. I rented a tiller and converted the raised bed area that had been six 4x4 beds plus walkways back into a full garden. Spontaneous gardening. The other reason was to convert additional lawn space to garden because covids. No pics.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Escartoe.
    Tough crowd, I thought that was a good "portmantoe."

LOL @ Gmaster

My garden is coming along nicely, I've been setting up raised beds using logs from the 7 trees that came down in the yard last year. I planted 36 starters inside and they're just popping which is good because it's still not quite time to get them in the ground, last frost is still a week or two away and it was just sleeting a little while ago. I started building potato boxes with hinged doors to make it easier to harvest early varieties while the plant is still growing, the plan is to make at least 3 so I can have 9 or 10 varieties of potatoes. The back side of the boxes are made of pallet tops and will have cucumbers and melons climbing the backside. One of the new beds I made yesterday ought to work great for corn, what should I companion plant with it? I'm also making hanging setups for tomatoes because they draw fewer bugs
    and slugs that way.

I wish I could get bulk soil, compost and mulch deliveries because buying it in bags is stupid expensive but there's no way to get a truck up the hill to the yard without crushing the septic and leach field. At least when it's in bags I can pull my Durango up on the lawn to the back gate. Every time I try to picture myself carting 5 yards of each up the hill in a wheelbarrow I have a little meltdown...