Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stolen bike in Denver

Good friend of mine had his commuter bike stolen, I think the neighborhood it was taken from is called Congress Park. I'm guessing he's all over Craigslist and Ebay but figured maybe some Denver mag might run across it otherwise or think of some other way to find it. Any help very appreciated. Trailer in the photo no longer a thing. Description:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamis.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	353.9 KB 
ID:	288204

Jamis Coda Sport. Dark Red and cream.
    Converted to 1 x 9
    chrome chain guard
    black rear rack with black basket
    chrome swept-back handlebars with blue grips
    generator front hub with light
    silver plastic fenders
    Brooks saddle
    Serial #U91U14544
    [quote][//quote]

most likely stolen by a homeless person, unlikely to show up on craigslist etc. It will be used by the thief or sold or given to another homeless person. In Sacramento they take the commuter type bikes and leave the expensive road bikes. Good luck, hope he finds it.

Denver police has a stolen bike department that will run the serial # against recovered bikes.

If the trailer is no longer a thing might as well go like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9140E2A9-84DE-42F2-BF4D-772F86213067.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	288208

Yeah, I shoulda cropped the photo--didn't even occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    most likely stolen by a homeless person, unlikely to show up on craigslist etc. It will be used by the thief or sold or given to another homeless person. In Sacramento they take the commuter type bikes and leave the expensive road bikes. Good luck, hope he finds it.
    That sounds really strange to me. Maybe different in Denver/Sac, but in places like NYC/Boston I've never heard of homeless people stealing bikes for their own use. Bikes are stolen by bike thieves and crackheads around here, AFAIK. (Not doubting your assessment, just noting that that's a new one for me.)

Yeah, we have professional bike thieves...not sure if it's still true, but I remember years ago the Krypton bike lock company had a guarantee against theft with their locks (they would theoretically reimburse you for some value of the bike), but the guarantee excluded NYC and Boston/Cambridge.

Doesn't matter if it's locked, the thing would just be stripped down to the frame.

Plenty of homeless folks stealing bikes in Denver. It's a cottage industry along the Platte. While riding the greenway with my wife last summer I saw one homeless camp / bike chop shop that must have had a hundred stripped frames sitting in a pile with components strewn all around.

Had this one homeless guy standing next to his nearly new carbon road bike. God knows where he was gonna acquire a set of shoes with the clips on the bottom for it's pedals.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Probably the newest transport for a homeless person and all their belongings in the trailer. Preferred method around here to free range in PDX.

stolen bike in Denver

List it here as well: https://bikeindex.org/stolen

Add OfferUp to the search list.

Yeah, homeless camp bike chop shops are big in the Seattle area too.

This sort of shit never happens in Londonderry. I'd wager if he left it unlocked outside the Clarks IGA it would still be there. A bunch of heathens out there in Denver.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    A coworker I know had someone try to steal his trailer a few years back. Currently drafting a thread for it right now.
    In Denver?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Just saw a news story the other day about homeless camp bike chop shops in Austin. I guess word gets around in the homeless community that it is the thing to do.

AND... our stupid mayor & city council just revised an ordinance so it is now legal for the homeless to camp on public property (other than parks), effective July 1. All of a sudden, tent cities are popping up in plain view under highway overpasses everywhere. Yeah, I know they had them before, but they were mostly hidden. Now, all of a sudden there are these huge eyesores! WTF was the city thinking? Guess there are similar laws in SF and Seattle??? Yeah, let’s follow their lead. Stupid idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Probably the newest transport for a homeless person and all their belongings in the trailer. Preferred method around here to free range in PDX.
    This thread needs a "homeless person or bikepacker?" photo quiz. I doubt anyone would score higher than 60%

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Just saw a news story the other day about homeless camp bike chop shops in Austin. I guess word gets around in the homeless community that it is the thing to do.

AND... our stupid mayor & city council just revised an ordinance so it is now legal for the homeless to camp on public property (other than parks), effective July 1. All of a sudden, tent cities are popping up in plain view under highway overpasses everywhere. Yeah, I know they had them before, but they were mostly hidden. Now, all of a sudden there are these huge eyesores! WTF was the city thinking? Guess there are similar laws in SF and Seattle??? Yeah, let’s follow their lead. Stupid idiots.
    So much easier to shoot them and make dog food.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

In Seattle, the homeless just "steal" the Limebikes but only ride them downhill so there are tons of them ditched in the sound and other waterways. Ah, Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    This thread needs a "homeless person or bikepacker?" photo quiz. I doubt anyone would score higher than 60%
    Used to be that TGR posteurs were indistinguishable from the homeless. Ah, gentrification.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    This sort of shit never happens in Londonderry. I'd wager if he left it unlocked outside the Clarks IGA it would still be there. A bunch of heathens out there in Denver.
    Careful, AZ Greg may assimilate you.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Why wouldn’t you have them pay you to give solutions. Then you don’t have to pay them, or be a fly. Cause that would suck.

But they have adventure capital. I mean venture capital.

so you aren't bothered by the fact that so many people are homeless, just that you have to look at them? Maybe that's why they are allowed to camp in public--so that people have to look at them and maybe come up with solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    That sounds really strange to me. Maybe different in Denver/Sac, but in places like NYC/Boston I've never heard of homeless people stealing bikes for their own use. Bikes are stolen by bike thieves and crackheads around here, AFAIK. (Not doubting your assessment, just noting that that's a new one for me.)
    It's everywhere. There's a sidewalk bike repair/chopshop in front of our local shelter. The cops ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yeah, we have professional bike thieves...not sure if it's still true, but I remember years ago the Krypton bike lock company had a guarantee against theft with their locks (they would theoretically reimburse you for some value of the bike), but the guarantee excluded NYC and Boston/Cambridge.
    It's now an insurance policy (complete with premiums for the second and subsequent years), and it's valid everywhere. Their top lock is even named after NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    lol, yeah.

Does living in a sprinter bought with one's parents' money qualify as homeless?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    so you aren't bothered by the fact that so many people are homeless, just that you have to look at them? Maybe that's why they are allowed to camp in public--so that people have to look at them and maybe come up with solutions.
    I knew I’d get that reaction, but yeah that’s exactly right. I assume you don’t have to drive by a tent city near your house? Would you be willing to have one down the street from you in Truckee or wherever it is you live?

Has your buddy checked the flea markets?

Also have to imagine Denver has a Bike Coalition.

That's where I started when my classic Peugeot got stolen in SF a decade ago (sadly, never found it).

Mine was locked with an old cable lock while I was at the movies downtown. When I came out it was gone. Spent an hour wandering around looking for it and eventually some cops stopped me and asked what was wrong. I told them what had happened and they informed me that some crack head in a trench coat had most likely produced wire cutters from said coat, stole the bike, sold it, and was getting high as we spoke. They said that was pretty common in that part of the City. They took a description of the bike, my info, and told me to check with SF Bike Coalition and then which flea markets to hit.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I knew I’d get that reaction, but yeah that’s exactly right. I assume you don’t have to drive by a tent city near your house? Would you be willing to have one down the street from you in Truckee or wherever it is you live?
    I drive by several whenever I'm in sacto. The homeless aren't real visible in truckee although they're here. We do see a lot if folks with packs on the road who dont look like through hikers, although it can be tricky telling then apart. The homeless are cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    List it here as well: https://bikeindex.org/stolen
    Thanks, will see if he's done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ixnay on the ondenderrylay talk--we don't need CO people flooding the streets of our quaint town.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Has your buddy checked the flea markets?

Also have to imagine Denver has a Bike Coalition.
    [/QUOTE]

So I mentioned the thing about homeless people to him and how I just have almost never seen a homeless person (as in a person who is identifiably living on the streets) with a bike--or maybe never seen it (I have a little trouble even figuring out where homeless people here would need to go by bicycle). He pointed out to me that I'm probably not accounting for the fact that where he lives the homeless tend to live under bridges in North Face tents and have degrees from CU Boulder.
    Definitely got me on that one.

That bikes worth what, $200? How much time is he going to spend on it.