Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RIP Tom Wolfe

Well. He wasn't in the same league as Faulkner and Cheever. Still fun. "Entertainment" was sorta spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I was more into Clancy
    Hilarious....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hilarious....
    It's not about me, but why is that hilarious. I know I was not alone.

I think the 16 hours I spent reading The hunt for red October was the best weekend I ever spent alone I a recliner.

and yes I read all of his work

When I was younger I also went through a Remo Williams phase.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

See Steve's post.

Notice no mention of Wolfe's work having been ghost written, franchised pap, video game spin offs etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    See Steve's post.

Notice no mention of Wolfe's work having been ghost written, franchised pap, video game spin offs etc...
    I have read a few of the articles on Wolfe. Still a bit confused

Were his bocks fiction or non fiction?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

“Radical Chic & Mau Mauing the Flack Catcher”. Great look a white guilt driven liberalism of the late 60s.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    “Radical Chic & Mau Mauing the Flack Catcher”..
    First person shooter on PS one?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Were his bocks fiction or non fiction?
    Yes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    For the fans of Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, check this movie out.

All about Sand and the east coast gang in Millbrook that Kesey was attracted to like flies to sugar.
    hardly obscure. RIP

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Saw "The Right Stuff" in the theatre when I was 6. It blew me away. I still want to be an astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Saw "The Right Stuff" in the theatre when I was 6. It blew me away. I still want to be an astronaut.
    young and impressionable, I think we all fell in love with Donnie
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Strangely, I just started reading "The Right Stuff" last week. Kind of strange I'd never read It before. Did see the movie when it came out.

RIP Tom Wolfe

^^^I may read it again, I loved it. I love the movie too.
    I like Bonfire as well, I think the movie missed the mark, but I read an interview with DePalma and he said that he read the book aloud with the cast, and they thought it was a comedy.
    I was living in New York at the time and I think the book captured that time very well. I didn’t read it as an installment, as many people did. It’s seems to me he cleaned up or rushed the ending chapter just so he could get it out of the way before the installment deadline.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes.
    haha. He was damn fine at both

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    . . . they thought it was a comedy..
    it is a satirical black comedy, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well. He wasn't in the same league as Faulkner and Cheever.
    Begs the definition of "same league." IMO, Wolfe is right in there, but it's apples vs. oranges, i.e., New Journalism vs. Faulkner's southern gothic style (BTW, add Flannery O'Connor to the list of great American authors) -- and Cheever's best works were short stories. Time will judge Wolfe, IMO the greatest New Journalist author, against Mark Twain, the standard by which all American authors are, have been and always will be judged, and who planted the seeds of New Journalism style.

i read Bonfires of the vanities when it came out and I was basically a kid. I think I will go through it again. I keep on saying that about Thomas Mann and the Magic Mountain...

it is a satirical black comedy, no?
    Yes, I guess. It was a Fresh Air interview, IIR, and he was responding to the criticisms about the movie, and defending it that way. People thought it was miscast, etc. I think he just missed a little on the movie. I do think Griffiths got the "Shurmun" pronunciation right though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oh, I agree that the movie was subpar, unlike the book, which will almost certainly survive the test of time.

Twenty or so years ago I happened to catch Wolfe giving a talk at a university. Couldn't recall much from that other than an anecdote he shared, the punch line of which elicited much laughter from the highbrow crowd. (Me too, although I felt more like I was laughing with them, so to speak.) Anyway, I was joking around with a friend this morning and it reminded me of Wolfe's funny little bit, and to my surprise I was able to find it online. (Thanks, Google!)

The whole lecture is kinda interesting; the anecdote (included below) is contained in the "Lecture Text" section near the bottom of this web page...

https://www.neh.gov/about/awards/jef...olfe-biography

Tom Wolfe - The Human Beast - Jefferson Lecture 2006

Not all status groups are either as competitive as capital-S Society's and the military's or as hostile as the bohemians'. Some are comprised of much broader populations from much larger geographic areas. My special favorites are the Good Ol' Boys, as I eventually called them. I happened upon them while working on an article about stock car racing. Good ol' boys are rural Southerners and Midwesterners seldom educated beyond high school or community college, sometimes owners of small farms but more likely working for wages in factories, warehouses, and service companies. They are mainly but by no means exclusively Scots-Irish Protestants in background and are Born Fighting, to use the title of a brilliant recent work of ethnography by James Webb. They have been the backbone of American combat forces ever since the Revolution, including, as it turns out, both armies during the Civil War. They love hunting, they love their guns, and they believe, probably correctly, that the only way to train a boy to kill Homines loquaces in battle someday is to take him hunting to learn to kill animals, starting with rabbits and squirrels and graduating to beasts as big or bigger than Homo loquax, such as the deer and the bear. Good ol' boys look down on social pretension of any sort. They place a premium on common sense and are skeptical of people with theories they don't put to the test themselves.

I offer an illustration provided to me by a gentleman who is in this audience tonight and who witnessed the following: It was the mid-1940s, during the second World War, and a bunch of good ol' boys too old for military service were sitting around in a general store in Scotland County, North Carolina, waiting for a representative of a cattleman's association. They fell to discussing the war.

One of them said, "Seems to me this whole war's on account of one man, Adolph Hitler. 'Stead a sending all these supply ships to England and whatnot and getting'm sunk out in the Atlantic Ocean by U-boats, why don't we just go ov'ere and shoot him?"

"Whatcha mean, 'just go ov'ere and shoot him'?"

"Just go to where he lives and shoot the sonofabitch."

"I 'speck it ain't that easy. He's probably got a wall around his house."

"Maybe he does. But you git me a boat to git me ov'ere and I'll do it myself."

"How?"

"I'll wait'il it's night time . . . see . . . and then I'll go around to the back of the house and climb the wall and hide behind a tree. I'll stay there all night, and then in the morning, when he comes out in the yard to pee, I'll shoot him."

Quite in addition to the Good Ol' Boy's level of sophistication, that story reveals four things: a disdain for the futility of government and its cumbersome ways of approaching problems, a faith in common sense, reliance on the inner discipline of the individual--and guns.
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

I went to school with one of Norman Mailer's kids, and they once said that their pops thought Wolfe was a puss for never taking LSD but putting out the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.
    Last edited by bry; 02-08-2024 at 10:28 PM.

Finally, at a distance from the charismatic Kesey, Wolfe downed 125 micrograms of LSD to learn from the inside what the fuss was all about. His trip was unpleasant, but necessary. “It was like tying yourself to the railroad track and seeing how big the train is, which is rather big,” Wolfe said in 1983.

https://www.cjr.org/from_the_archives/tom-wolfe.php

I guess we all tell ourselves stories in order to live/write/make a living/etc. Sometimes those stories change over time, regardless of the truth. Whatever that is.

Actually the hardest thing for me to believe is that that dandy Wolfe spent any amount of time around Kesey's gang without getting dosed. LoL

P.S. I like Wolfe a lot, and think Bonfire, (the book, not the movie - ugh), was a masterpiece. I read it as a much younger guy when it first came out, and my takeaway was a great story about someone's eyes being opened, learning about empathy, caring, and kindness. I guess it's time to give it another go and see how it strikes me this far down the road.