• Prison Time for gun owners who lose or have their gun stolen

30 19.23%
  • Background checks and a waiting period for 100% of transactions

119 76.28%
  • No semiautomatic anythings...

60 38.46%
  • Tax gun sales with additional fee to go to mental health

70 44.87%
  • Register ALL firearms and require insurance (car analogy)

101 64.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 295 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Reposting my mental health post
    It would be nice if just one multi-billionaire made funding this his/her initiative to give back to the society that has given them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You know, stuff like that that may lead to deeper conversations that seem to be more effective "than this guy owns guns, he's a hypocrite". But Mazderati just seems to troll me on other topics too. This one got me a little riled as these shootings are such a tragedy and they don't need to happen. There are steps our society could work to that would help. I don't think an all out firearm ban is the answer as it will be tangled in courts forever but some more sensible things might be accomplished and those start with guns owners and non-owners talking. There's always going to be the fringe that won't participate but I'm a low hanging fruit gun guy that is excited to have the chat. Why be a dick about it?
    Being a dick or stupid comes naturally to some. It's obvious who.

Anyway, yeah, HR8 as a first step and eventually banning semiautomatics and automatics seems like a reasonable common ground for most Americans. It's awfully easy to feel like common sense is diluted by the assholes and stupid.

I used to shoot low caliber stuff as a kid and got pretty good at that as well as arrows. But killing didn't feel right, so I quit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I mean, I find it increasingly hard to maintain that faith (if for no other reason: 2016).

But your point about directing some of this concern to elected officials is valid, it's just something all my elected officials are already on board with. If the rest of the country followed the bluer states we'd have strong gun laws and far fewer shootings. Imagine the whole country under NYC gun laws--virtually no one aside from law enforcement allowed to carry, no sales, nothing else. There would be thousands of kids who wouldn't have ended up body bagged. But, you know, that's an impossible fantasy, because...???
    I wrote to Tillis yesterday that his statements are inappropriate in the context of 19 tiny kids being slaughtered. The highest priority is "LIfe, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", not the second amendment despite the political clout, money and power it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Being a dick or stupid comes naturally to some. It's obvious who.
    Real recognize real.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Nothing gets done because we only care about the problem in fits and starts.

The NRA has a small group of dedicated people with a singular goal, who focus all of their efforts on negating gun control.

The rest of the country has people who get outraged every time something like this happens and then forget about it 3 weeks later.

Fuck we can’t even agree on what the problem is.
    Is it automatic weapons? All guns? Clip sizes? Lack of regulation?
    All the NRA has to know is “no”
    nope. The NRA pushes a pretty activist and expansionist view of gun rights for a certain group of people, they don’t just know how to say no. This activist view also helps their sponsors sell more guns to the same people. Pew numbers are 32% own just one gun, 37% 2-4, 29% 5+ guns. (that’s of 32% of us adults

If only there was something we could do...

Most cops have rifles in their patrol cars and wear body armor every single shift all shift long, this has been the trend since the mid 1990s. This perp had only soft armor (stops some pistol rounds maybe) only covering some of his torso.

After Columbine, OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO, where the cops waited around forever while the killers killed, the modus operandi for police active shooter response switched to: ATTACK FULL BREACH IMMEDIATELY by as few as two initial responding officers.

Having 3 cops flee, then a whole department twiddling their thumbs for 40 minutes is a fucking embarrassment for law enforcement. That the perp had to be taken down by a CBP tactical team that just happened to be nearby and just happened to be listening to the radio (and then couldn't breach a simple door) is a fucking embarrassment for law enforcement.

NOBODY gives two fucks about officer safety in these situations except for fucking cowards.
    Not the school resource officers in this case, or the off duty cop last week whose bullets bounced off the body armor of the lunatic.

When the cops are out gunned we have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

JFC, someone needs to explain to you the limits of anecdotal evidence. Fuck's sake, you should be embarassed. How is what you posted in any way meaningful? Literally smh.
    A person was shot for no reason on the subway last week. You said NYC was the example to look at.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You know, stuff like that that may lead to deeper conversations that seem to be more effective "than this guy owns guns, he's a hypocrite". But Mazderati just seems to troll me on other topics too. This one got me a little riled as these shootings are such a tragedy and they don't need to happen. There are steps our society could work to that would help. I don't think an all out firearm ban is the answer as it will be tangled in courts forever but some more sensible things might be accomplished and those start with guns owners and non-owners talking. There's always going to be the fringe that won't participate but I'm a low hanging fruit gun guy that is excited to have the chat. Why be a dick about it?
    You keep trying to reframe the situation. It's not about your current hoard. It's not about a ban. It's about you and others like you actively supporting the gun lobby by buying new shit. And then you're like 'but I write letters so I'm doing my part.' Your money moves the needle way more than your letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    eventually banning semiautomatics and automatics seems like a reasonable common ground for most Americans. It's awfully easy to feel like common sense is diluted by the assholes and stupid.
    Automatics were banned in 1986.

I would try and familiarize yourself with whats legal and illegal to own already.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...plan-rcna30568

Uvalde had hardened the schools following a 2018 shooting, it didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    A person was shot for no reason on the subway last week. You said NYC was the example to look at.
    you're back again with that shit?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...plan-rcna30568

Uvalde had hardened the schools following a 2018 shooting, it didn't help.

you're back again with that shit?
    Was locking the doors included in "hardening" the schools?

I would try and familiarize yourself with whats legal and illegal to own already.
    Manufacture of automatics was banned. Still perfectly legal to own a pre-'86 auto. But don't let me get in the way of you being a smug twat.

Congress enacted The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act of 1986—banning the possession and transfer of new machine guns. However, this law exempts machine guns manufactured prior to May 19, 1986, as well as machine guns possessed by or manufactured for governmental entities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Not the school resource officers in this case, or the off duty cop last week whose bullets bounced off the body armor of the lunatic.

When the cops are out gunned we have a problem.
    Turns out the cops didn't follow him in. The started tasing parents trying to enter.

https://youtu.be/dyXtymq-A6w

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    This PAC has a high rating on Charity Navigator to anyone interested.

I predict we'll see a movement amongst the gravy seals for them to voluntarily "protect" schools any minute now. Probably a good thing the school year is wrapping up in many places.

No, we could do everything we need to do that every other country has done. Just saying it can't be done is meaningless. We're not as insensible a country as the radical right/gun lobby would have you believe. Get rid of the guns and the problem goes away. It's literally as simple as that. Maybe we would never reach NZ levels of gun safety, but we could get to Canada levels. Certainly.
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Manufacture of automatics was banned. Still perfectly legal to own a pre-'86 auto. But don't let me get in the way of you being a smug twat.
    Im well aware of what it takes to own a Pre-86 machine gun. They cost upwards of 30k-150k. I don't think transferable machine guns are an issue.

And how often outside of Michael Mann movies are those autos actually used to commit a crime? I don't "get" the gun enthusiasts, but the school shooters are angsty teenagers that were able to buy semi-autos super easy. I think making those as hard to get as autos would be a great step.

Imagine the whole country under NYC gun laws--virtually no one aside from law enforcement allowed to carry, no sales, nothing else.
    NYC has a lower murder rate than a lot of big cities, but is still 2x the city I live in (Missoula) despite having a much lower gun ownership rate than we do. I know a lot of domestic violence victims that would not be willing to give up their handguns under almost any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I predict we'll see a movement amongst the gravy seals for them to voluntarily "protect" schools any minute now. Probably a good thing the school year is wrapping up in many places.
    Plenty of work for them at churches, concerts, and nightclubs.

What on earth are you talking about?
    There’s a social contract, we don’t kill each other and we should all care about each other’s well being. After decades of inaction in gun control, mental health, climate change, wealth inequity, division and the last three years of hate in regards to elections and measures to combat the spread of covid it seems the social contract is null and void. No one cares about anyone else anymore and it seems it’s every man or woman for themselves. I’m no longer hopeful that anything will be done to prevent the further decline of our once great country and the rest of the world for that matter.

This latest tragedy is just another symptom of an irreversible decline from what were once universally understood social norms. It’s really disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Plenty of work for them at churches, concerts, and nightclubs.
    This is the kind of opportunity they've been masturbating about for years.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    And how often outside of Michael Mann movies are those autos actually used to commit a crime? I don't "get" the gun enthusiasts, but the school shooters are angsty teenagers that were able to buy semi-autos super easy. I think making those as hard to get as autos would be a great step.
    They aren't. Pre-86 machine guns are investments now. No one is buying a 50k select fire M16 and using it for a mass shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Like we got rid drugs in the 80s and 90s?

This is not a realistic solution. Not even close.
    How about get rid of the ability for any Tom, Dick or Harry to carry a "Assault" rifle willy nilly. Like require a registration to own and use in the public square. Like a car. I can own it and use it at a track but need to register and show some competence on public roads.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

And bump stocks were legal until 2019 when they were banned by **checks notes** the Trump admin. Funny how that ban barely caused a stir among the 2A crowd.