Archaeologists find richest cache of ancient mind-altering drugs in South America

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...-south-america

"When José Capriles arrived in 2008 at the Cueva del Chileno rock shelter, nestled on the western slopes of Bolivia’s Andes, he didn’t know what he would find within. Sweeping aside layers of fresh and ancient llama dung, he found the remains of an ancient burial site: stone markers suggesting a body had once been interred there and a small leather bag cinched with a string. Inside was a collection of ancient drug paraphernalia—bone spatulas to crush the seeds of plants with psychoactive compounds, wooden tablets inlaid with gemstones to serve as a crushing surface, a wooden snuffing tube with a carved humanoid figure, and a small pouch stitched together from the snouts of three foxes.
    Now, more than a decade later, Capriles—an anthropologist at Pennsylvania State University in State College—and colleagues have discovered that the 1000-year-old bag contains the most varied combination of psychoactive compounds found at a South American site, including cocaine and the primary ingredients in a hallucinogenic tea called ayahuasca. The contents suggest the users were well versed in the psychoactive properties of the substances, and also that they sourced their goods from well-established trade routes.
    “Whoever had this bag of amazing goodies … would have had to travel great distances to acquire those plants,” says Melanie Miller, lead author of a new study on the discovery and a bioarchaeologist at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. “[Either that], or they had really extensive exchange networks.”"

Not as mind altering but I was reading today that the oldest known evidence of wine is from Georgia, 8000 years ago. (That's Stalin Georgia, not Stacey Abrams Georgia).

"But have you ever seen a petroglyph on ayahuasca man? There's an Indian in the bushes! Does he have a blow dart man? I don't know! "Red team go! Red team go!" just some weird shit man"

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not as mind altering but I was reading today that the oldest known evidence of wine is from Georgia, 8000 years ago. (That's Stalin Georgia, not Stacey Abrams Georgia).
    I think the guys covered that in an episode of the grand tour

And to think, my town just decriminalized shrooms today.

Seems like archeology will make a comeback. I suspect the land bridge theory and idea of the fertile crescent being the cradle of civilization will be out like christopher columbus discovering the Americas...

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    And to think, my town just decriminalized shrooms today.
    Is 5/8 the new 4/20?

I ate em!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm enjoying the whole issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is 5/8 the new 4/20?

I ate em!
    I heard the vote had Mr. Fungi trailing. So they ate some more and it was all good.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Is 5/8 the new 4/20?

I ate em!
    New tradition of eating 5 grams on 5/8!

State Cop: "What is this in this pouch with the three fox snouts?"
    Bunny: "Oh, I found that in the mountains, I'm an archeologist."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Seems like archeology will make a comeback. I suspect the land bridge theory and idea of the fertile crescent being the cradle of civilization will be out like christopher columbus discovering the Americas...
    what's your theory?

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A come back?

I believe, in the US at least, archaeology is riding high since the science and technology-based discoveries made in the early 70’s by David H Thomas in NV.

I’m sure the field could use another boost of youth from a new Indiana Jones movie

Civilization has come a long way. I can score all that shit within 3 blocks in north philly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    A come back?

I believe, in the US at least, archaeology is riding high since the science and technology-based discoveries made in the early 70’s by David H Thomas in NV.

I’m sure the field could use another boost of youth from a new Indiana Jones movie
    Ya I mean through the recession a lot of the humanities have been taking a hit in younger folks when they are consistently ranked in some 'top 10 worst college major' website...

Cool to hear new studies though using remote sensing and LIDAR. Plus the explosion with more applied research using genetic sequencing in the past 10-15years.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    what's your theory?
    Aliens, sharks and laser beams.

Ya I mean through the recession a lot of the humanities have been taking a hit in younger folks when they are consistently ranked in some 'top 10 worst college major' website...

Cool to hear new studies though using remote sensing and LIDAR. Plus the explosion with more applied research using genetic sequencing in the past 10-15years.
    I know many archaeologists. None of them do it for the $$$.

If they did it for the money they wouldn't have to resort to digging up 1000 year old bags of drugs

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I know many archaeologists. None of them do it for the $$$.
    Still, the field is dominated by old white dudes. And part of that stems from a major hiring gap as academic positions are becoming increasingly scarce...not that they've ever been great.

Still, the field is dominated by old white dudes. And part of that stems from a major hiring gap as academic positions are becoming increasingly scarce...not that they've ever been great.
    Like that old white guy ( i really don't know his age) from the university of ak that's causing all the ruckus?...

Most of the archaeologists that i know are women. Only one is a 100% academic. Of the older archaeologist that i know, though, most are men.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe in your tiny corner of the universe this is true, if you look at it just right on a cloudy day through a narrow aperture.