Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I hit 79.9 mph on 183cm Armada TST’s on the ‘Grizzly’ at Snowbasin. Putting them sideways to slow down then sliding another 50 yards past where I intended to stop was terrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

K2 Mindbender Skis

I appreciate people sharing this data. I often say to people (my kids, family and friends) when I’m driving that— “I ski faster than this.”

“Are you serious?”
    “Yeah, it’s normal to break 60mph.”
    “How do you know that?”
    “The speed of the trees going by right now.”

The ability for a ski to go fast is in its ability to stop. I think that’s why this genre of ski is so popular right now. That subtle tail rocker allows us to shut it down.

Traditional camber of FIS stuff is locked in. You better have the quads, and the nuance, to throw them sideways.

Everything on the market today basically stops on a dime. And if you’re comfortable with speed, compressions, and G-forces in the first place, all you need is a bit of metal underfoot to not vibrate or fold and you’re good to go... fast.

Got my 184 MB99Ti's today. They are standing up against the wall and I shall stare at them, flex them occassionally, and fondle them on a whim. Like so many have stated before, I dreamt of at least a month of grooomer cruising, corn harvesting, and maybe some hot pow laps. But alas...the COVID killed the dream. My aspirations to hit 81-mph on them will also remain dreams for now.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Got my 184 MB99Ti's today. They are standing up against the wall and I shall stare at them, flex them occassionally, and fondle them on a whim. Like so many have stated before, I dreamt of at least a month of grooomer cruising, corn harvesting, and maybe some hot pow laps. But alas...the COVID killed the dream. My aspirations to hit 81-mph on them will also remain dreams for now.
    Just never hit 88mph. Weird shit happens. Hot. Tub. Time. Machine.

I would say 99.9% of the people I see ski are nowhere near 60mph.

Any A/B vs Mantra 102 thoughts so far?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What about the top 0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    What about the top 0.01%

Oh, they fast!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Agreed. And if you are skiing that fast around other ppl you really shouldn't.
    Put on my buddys garmin watch last july up on palmer at hood with the sole purpose of breaking 60 mph... I broke 60mph or at least i was certain without a doubt but in actuality it ended up being 54.6 mph... Didn't feel comfortable going any faster because of the other skiers around.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Back when we could ski in the not to distant past I was skiing on the MB 108s, one buddy on Shaggy's and the third on Deathwish's. First run of the day we meet back up at the lift and the buddy on the Deathwish's says jeez you guys are rippin' outta the gate, my speedometer hit 64 and I wasn't catching up..... To be honest I didn't think anything was unusual just a normal run on hard snow. I think people ski faster than the think.
    Last edited by Quandary; 03-23-2020 at 08:47 AM.

so you will recommend MB 108 ti as a versatile off piste and a playful ski? I'd buy them for next year, beacuse this year in italy have close all the ski resorts due to the covid

Quote Originally Posted by bertons View Post
    so you will recommend MB 108 ti as a versatile off piste and a playful ski? I'd buy them for next year, beacuse this year in italy have close all the ski resorts due to the covid
    Lift served or self-powered off piste skiing? For lift served I would say yes, for self-powered I would say most people would consider them on the heavy side.

I pretty much ended the year with the MB 108s being my daily driver as the work pretty much everywhere from hard groomers to 6"-12" of new pow to wind blown bowls to soft chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Lift served or self-powered off piste skiing? For lift served I would say yes, for self-powered I would say most people would consider them on the heavy side.

I pretty much ended the year with the MB 108s being my daily driver as the work pretty much everywhere from hard groomers to 6"-12" of new pow to wind blown bowls to soft chop.
    yes lift served. I'm undecided between MB 108 or Nordica enforcer 104.

I'm looking for something like this too, was thinking the K2s over Enforcer, but also considering Salomon QST 106. I've had an old set of QST 115 for ages and really like them, the 106s get good reviews.

Wondering if people have a view on MB108 vs QST 106 for a 1 ski quiver?

It really depends on what you value most on your 10X do it all ski. I own the MB108 (186-cm) and the Enforcer 104 (186-cm). Both are solid all-around skis. The MB108 is far better in soft snow where the Enforcer 104 is better on firm snow. The MB108 has a 22.9-m turn radius, a much looser tail, and a softer shovel that makes it float like a much wider ski. The Enforcer 104 has a 18.5-m radius, feels a bit stiffer throughout (more balanced flex), doesn't float as well, but holds a better carve. My 16-yo son loves the Enforcer 104, so I think I am going to let him have those. I prefer the feel of the MB108, as I like a ski that holds its own on groomers but still retains a loose feel in soft snow.

It really depends on what you value most on your 10X do it all ski. I own the MB108 (186-cm) and the Enforcer 104 (186-cm). Both are solid all-around skis. The MB108 is far better in soft snow where the Enforcer 104 is better on firm snow. The MB108 has a 22.9-m turn radius, a much looser tail, and a softer shovel that makes it float like a much wider ski. The Enforcer 104 has a 18.5-m radius, feels a bit stiffer throughout (more balanced flex), doesn't float as well, but holds a better carve. My 16-yo son loves the Enforcer 104, so I think I am going to let him have those. I prefer the feel of the MB108, as I like a ski that holds its own on groomers but still retains a loose feel in soft snow.
    thank you very much, I think I'm gonna buy the MB. Another question, I'm 5'11'' x 155, should I buy the 179 or 186 version? I think for me is better the 186, but I don't know if them could be too long if I'll ski in the trees. (sorry for my english)

thank you very much, I think I'm gonna buy the MB. Another question, I'm 5'11'' x 155, should I buy the 179 or 186 version? I think for me is better the 186, but I don't know if them could be too long if I'll ski in the trees. (sorry for my english)
    For your size, I would recommend the 186-cm, especially if you are a stronger skier. I live in WA and have skied the 186 in tight trees. It’s fairly quick and agile for how powerful of a ski it happens to be. I think that has to do with the softer tip and looser tail. I wouldn’t call the 186 an amazing tree ski, but manageable.

Also, your English is fine...better than many of my native-speaking friends.

X 2 186 cm

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I am basically the same size as you. I have skied both the 186 and the 179. First thing to remember is that the MBs run true to stated length unlike many other brands that can be 2/3cm shorter than stated length.

Using vehicles as a comparison I would say the 186 is like a trail rated Jeep Grand Cherokee, you can take it just about anywhere anywhere and its stable but not exactly quick. The 179 is more like an Audi S4, its quicker, handles well and is stable as long as the road isn't a gravel fire access road. But its not a sports car. I bought the 179 as this size fit better with what I was looking for. I have a pair ON3P Woodsman 116s and a pair of ON3P Billy Goats to take care of the "rough roads". Long and short its depends on what you value 186 will get you better float, more stability at speed, better crud busting. 179 will get you better quickness and more fun without giving up much in the stability department.
    Last edited by Quandary; 03-24-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Honestly I’m not sure what difference to expect between them performance wise.

My basic understanding is the Ti has metal a metal plate, while the C has a carbon braid (which would allow for more flex?).

I’m an intermediate trying to grow into a pair of skis for a few years, if you have feelings on the Ti over the C I’m all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by davidhuge View Post
    Honestly I’m not sure what difference to expect between them performance wise.

My basic understanding is the Ti has metal a metal plate, while the C has a carbon braid (which would allow for more flex?).

I’m an intermediate trying to grow into a pair of skis for a few years, if you have feelings on the Ti over the C I’m all ears.
    You are correct. The TI has a Y shaped metal plate, and the C is a carbon braid. I wouldn’t say more flex, but different flex. Both feel correct, but in the way a 108 and 116 wide ski should flex.

The 108 TI is a great every day inbounds Jackson/Snowbird/Revi, or look for soft snow a week after a storm ski OB ski. It’s a more fun Cochise. But the 108TI doesn’t do deep pow, straight up sucks in knee deep or deeper pow. I took the 108TI out in deep pow, and struggled.

The 116C is the best bottom less snow pow ski I’ve ever been on. If the snow is consistent, soft, and deep, nothing outside of a Pontoon/Protest/etc is even close. It punches way above its weight class in that regard. But the 116C really doesn’t like anything variable, I mean not at all, that includes afternoons inbounds on pow days, go get the 108TI.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I think people ski faster than they think.
    I think people Think they ski faster than they think.

FYI - The official TRGz speed event will be next winter in Jackson.

Time to prove up.
    Bring the race stock 'cuz the slight tail rocker ain't gonna help.

Maybe just have a Mindbender race?

Word up, SVS...

K2 Mindbender Skis

Anyone have the 179s...either the 179cm 108Ti or the 179cm 116C? I'm 5'7", 165lbs.

If so, what is the rec mount on the 179cm (-9.75 same as 186)?

Has anyone skied the 108 or 116 MB (any length) at +2?

I know that I don't like being that far (-9.75cm) back on a ski....but I do want a slightly chargier ski to expand the inbound quiver (eg. 183 Faction Candide 5.0s, 184 4FRNT Renegades and 177 K2 Marksmans....which are all mounted at -5cm from true center). I also have some Rustler 11s mounted with Shifts at +1 , approx. -6.7cm.

Most chargier skis are in that -9 to - 11cm range. I remember talking to one of the Head pro skiers and he said they ski the Head Kores at +4cm....I think rec on those is -11cm, so at -7cm?

And here is what Blister said about going forward on the 108Ti:
    On the recommended line, the Mindbender 108Ti felt best when skied with a forward, driving stance. But I could ski it centered when needed, and it wasn’t as punishing as some skis in its class (especially those with equal or better stability) if I did get backseat. I ended up skiing the Mindbender 108Ti with the bindings mounted +1, +2, and +3 cm in front of the recommended line. As someone who prefers skis with a more balanced feel, I ended up liking the ski best with the bindings at +2 (-7.75 cm from center). Here, I could ski it a bit more centered, it felt slightly more balanced in the air (though still fairly heavy), and I didn’t feel like I lost anything in the way of edge hold, carving performance, etc. At +3, I felt like the Mindbender 108Ti’s tails washed out a bit early while carving, so I wouldn’t recommend mounting it super far in front of the line.

Stupid deals on these right now (like equivalent $340US shipped no tax for the 116 with this graphic):

Though probably the 108Ti fits better in m quiver. Though I ski the 122mm waist Factions a ton on groomers. Think the 116C would be less chargy, more fun. Got some Pivots with 115mm brakes looking for a ski....I liked when someone here said the 108Ti is like an easy Cochise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-k2-mindbender-116c-ltd-1000__08284.1574894253.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	322730
    Last edited by kc_7777; 06-07-2022 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I think people Think they ski faster than they think.
    You may be right. I never gave it, or give it much thought, as it really is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    FYI - The official TRGz speed event will be next winter in Jackson.

Tell me the time and place, MX98s will be on my feet