Page 201 of 224 FirstFirst ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 5588
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yeah, SC lit up this past Friday and weekend. Too bad my shoulder popped again this past week. Now I'm out again and looking at the knife. Oh well, so as it goes.
    Sorry to hear that.

Newport has been good, but I've been out of the water since Thursday. I pulled a rib cage muscle in my side boxing. It's recovering, no big deal, I think I might be able to swing a dawn patrol session tomorrow morning.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

It’s been a solid week of surf up here. Overheard local say best run in decades...didn’t know it could get that good here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3640.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	957.7 KB 
ID:	341976
    This spot rarely breaks, scratched into a couple set waves that made up for the earlier close outs. Sitting at the beach now and can’t see the waves through the fog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yup. Looking forward to getting it stitched up. Want that thing inside.
    Fuck, old man. Get you fixed up. Is it rotator cuff? That one's a bitch.

Just got back from Nica on Monday. Charter flight to the tune of $2,500, but got to see my family for the first time in six months. So, so good. Tamarindo, Maderas, body surfing at Marsella with the crocs. Stopped in Mexico City for some outstanding food on the way back. Nice to have some normalcy in life.

OTT, Get that shoulder fixed up so we can hit some bigger stuff this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    It’s been a solid week of surf up here. Overheard local say best run in decades...didn’t know it could get that good here.

Name:	IMG_3640.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	957.7 KB 
ID:	341976
    This spot rarely breaks, scratched into a couple set waves that made up for the earlier close outs. Sitting at the beach now and can’t see the waves through the fog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I love this shot! Rich with anticipation. It looks like it's going to line up nicely. I love the moment when you have caught it, are about to pop up, and you can see it line up.

Today was pretty nuts north of the HB pier. I was in the water from around 730 to 1000. It was head high, maybe a foot overhead, with great shape and clean. With a pump you could make the inside section. The current was crazy, I ended up getting in around tower 10, then getting out around tower 18 and walking back twice. The current and the plethora of peaks spread the crowd out well. I'm pretty spent now and I've got lots of work to do today. I don't drink coffee much but I'm going to have to grab an iced espresso. The water is around 68. I was able to trunk it, although it was a bit cold when I got in this morning. I'm hoping this swell continues to deliver. It was still super clean when I got out at 10, I wish I could have stayed longer. I can't complain though, when you can surf overhead clean waves in warm water until 10 am on a Thursday you are pretty damn lucky.

BS720,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, but glad you got to see your family. There are things you can't put a price on.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I love this shot! Rich with anticipation. It looks like it's going to line up nicely. I love the moment when you have caught it, are about to pop up, and you can see it line up.
    Thanks! I got lucky as I was wrestling into my wet wetsuit watching this point peel for the first time...I agree, I like photos that elicit a feeling and I can almost feel the drop looking at this. Scored some memorable rides and fast highlines to open faces, sooo goood.

And for Ott, I had a Bankhart repair on my left shoulder 30 years ago. It started to bother me a couple years ago so I doubled down on PT and training. Don't skimp on resistance/weight training, especially for us old(er) dudes...Good luck!

Everything nor-cal is firing right now. Had a few head high screamers at a protected spot this AM that reminded me how much I love fall in California! Soon enough the sandbars at OB will get forced into a semblance of order and the real fun can begin.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Yup. Started firing a day or two after the shoulder popped. Go get after it. I'll be watching this winter. BS, it is Bankart reaper and filling in a little divot on the humorous. When it lines up just right, it can slip out like a key working lock. I'll be out of the sling before Thanksgiving, but won't be back in the water until April. So this fall/winter is toast. At least I'll be able to ski come mid winter and start light trail riding around that time as well. I predict this surf is going to go non-stop until it snows. Conditions have been pretty sweet around here.

The last three days have been pretty nuts down here.

I have been surfing south of the HB pier. Head high, maybe a foot overhead and line up. Some punch, but I've been going at high tide so not too heavy. Maybe the best three days I have had this summer. The current is crazy, no point in even fighting it, I just get when I get close to the pier and walk south. You could make the inside section with just a bit of a Huntington hop. The crowd was actually pretty light, the current made it tough to stay in one place.

At one point on Saturday my buddy and I had our own peak around 50 yards south of the pier. That just does not happen on a head high day on a Saturday with warm water.

I only got about 8 waves today in about an hour and a half of water time. That was due to lots of duck diving getting back out. It was still worth it though, when each wave is 100 yards and fun I will take quality over quantity.

It was a great last bunch of days. Took Mini Comish to the Beach Casa for Wednesday - Friday and then got the whole Fam to come down for Sunday and Monday. Super glassy all day Thursday - Sunday if I have my days straight. It starts to blur. Pretty cool when you are surfing your own peak with just your neighbor, 77yr old dad, wife, and 12yr old grom! We are super lucky. Couple hundred foot rides down the line on peaky, albeit soft waves. Too soft for the grom who was complaining, but the wife and old man loved it and I'm not complaining when I can go down the line for a while rather than the standard shortnoshouldercloseout.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Pretty cool when you are surfing your own peak with just your neighbor, 77yr old dad, wife, and 12yr old grom!
    Wait, you guys own a place at The Ranch?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Nope, that would be cool though... Between Dana Point and San Clemente. A few doors down from the Hoffman Brothers (old skool big wave guys, see Riding Giants) and where Hobie created everything before he left CA.

Here is a little article on our neighbors. https://www.sanclementetimes.com/som...st-go-surfing/
    Last edited by comish; 10-10-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Last week was really fun. I got in the water for early sessions Tues-Thurs, and then a mid-morning session on Saturday. It was around head high and fun, a bit bigger on Thursday. The current was crazy again, I got in the water around tower 10, north of the HB pier, and ended up getting out around tower 24 which is Dog Beach, way up by the Huntington cliffs. There really was no point in fighting it, but the nice thing is you get to drift through several different zones.

The water was in the high 60s around 730, which is great for this time of year. I suspect that will flip soon, but it has been nice to trunk it at 730 am in October.

Been getting some fun rides in Oregon the last few days. But getting tired of the 3-5'. Looking forward to some 5-7'+ soon.

Today was the coldest day of the season. Below freezing in Portland and chilly on the coast.Got in right after sunrise and could still see Jupiter while I was waiting for waves which was super cool. Almost got backdoored on a good set wave. Early was awesome, but got inconsistent and blown out by noon.

All the seem tape was disintegrating on the inside of my Xcel so yolo'd into an O'neill 5.5/4 Psycho Tech suit after today's sesh. Can't wait to try it out. Seems plush af.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That’s thick. Gonna be toasty. New 5.5. Holy crap. At least with modern neoprene you will still be able to move your arms.

That’s thick. Gonna be toasty. New 5.5. Holy crap. At least with modern neoprene you will still be able to move your arms.
    New suit test surf was amazing! So warm compared to my old suit I even took the hood off which I rarely do outside of summer. Flexibility of the O'neill techno butter rubber is great. Movement felt completely unencumbered. Stoked for the incoming 20s period swell on Sunday!

Sunday was nice up here

Name:	20201101_103900.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	346132
    I switched from 5/4 hood to 4/3 hood and have been warm so far, although haven't tried it out in the middle of winter yet and will probably use my 5/4 then. I have heard that Southern, Central WA coast is actually generally warmer than Oregon coast due to Columbia River current than generally moves North. Northern WA and the Strait is cold.

What do you all recommend for booties? Would 3mm be too thin? I want something where I can really feel and move up and down my board - I am a SUP downwinder, I have a SIC Bullet.

Thinking about these - https://urbansurf.com/collections/we...ustom-pro-2021

Edit to respond to the original post. Yes, I'm getting some today, I'm going downwinding on Lake Washington.
    bc-lovah

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    What do you all recommend for booties? Would 3mm be too thin? I want something where I can really feel and move up and down my board - I am a SUP downwinder, I have a SIC Bullet.

Thinking about these - https://urbansurf.com/collections/we...ustom-pro-2021

Edit to respond to the original post. Yes, I'm getting some today, I'm going downwinding on Lake Washington.
    I wear a 5/4 suit (just got 5.5/4 as posted above) with 3 mm gloves and booties in Northern Oregon's very chilly water and they get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    I wear a 5/4 suit (just got 5.5/4 as posted above) with 3 mm gloves and booties in Northern Oregon's very chilly water and they get the job done.
    Thank you!
    bc-lovah

Anyone else get some today...?

I’d also add depends on how cold you get. Split toes give dexterity but run ever so slightly colder.

Good seams are more important than thickness.

Even surfing in NY in winter with snow on the beach in the 90s (read old poor designs) I never wore more than 3mm. I find the 5mm to cumbersome.

If you are looking for gloves I’d suggest H2NO 1.5mm dive gloves. Below to closure and pads that grip fiberglass and paddles. And they are just thick enough to Keep off the chill and thin enough to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Sunday was nice up here

I switched from 5/4 hood to 4/3 hood and have been warm so far, although haven't tried it out in the middle of winter yet and will probably use my 5/4 then. I have heard that Southern, Central WA coast is actually generally warmer than Oregon coast due to Columbia River current than generally moves North. Northern WA and the Strait is cold.
    That looks like a fun playful wave.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Sunday was nice up here

Wow!!!

I don't see many shots of WA surf. For whatever reason I see more of Oregon. 4/3 hood is certainly more than I am used to, but with waves like that and proximity to great skiing south central WA sounds pretty damn good. I like the access to surf down here, but I spend, literally 150 hours driving to get my 35 to 40 Mammoth/Baldy days. It would be nice to not have to do that. Do you guys get much swell in the summer?

Surfed south HB pier today from 7 am to around 830. It was fun, shoulder high+ and clean. By around 830, when I really had to leave anyway, the tide had gotten too high. There was no current, which was a welcome change from the way the southside has been this summer and fall. Tomorrow should be pretty good, the tide will be coming up, but not TOO high at that time.

Getting swell is not the problem in Washington. Summers, and pretty much every season, is dominated with onshore winds. And unlike Oregon, there are less headlands (or accessible headlands) along the Washington Coast to hide out from the winds. I've had small swell, long period, offshore winds occur in any season, although I would say it is most common in the Fall.

I'm not sure if its COVID related or what but way more people in the water this year. Fortunately, most surfers kind of suck in the PNW, and it is mostly beach break where you can spread out.

I’d also add depends on how cold you get. Split toes give dexterity but run ever so slightly colder.
    Good seams are more important than thickness.
    Even surfing in NY in winter with snow on the beach in the 90s (read old poor designs) I never wore more than 3mm. I find the 5mm to cumbersome.
    If you are looking for gloves I’d suggest H2NO 1.5mm dive gloves. Below to closure and pads that grip fiberglass and paddles. And they are just thick enough to Keep off the chill and thin enough to ignore.
    Thanks Ottime. I ended up buying those booties I posted above, which are 3mm custom Solites with a split toe, and they were great yesterday except squished my longer 2nd toes and my toes were in total pain at the end of a 13 mile downwind run. Luckily I can customize them myself by heat forming.

Yes, I need gloves, thanks for the recommendation. Do you think those gloves are good for sub-40F temps? I am on call to head down to Hood River and it looks like this Saturday is a go, but I noticed the temp is going to be around 39 - that is much colder than here in Seattle.
    bc-lovah

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    Thanks Ottime. I ended up buying those booties I posted above, which are 3mm custom Solites with a split toe, and they were great yesterday except squished my longer 2nd toes and my toes were in total pain at the end of a 13 mile downwind run. Luckily I can customize them myself by heat forming.

Yes, I need gloves, thanks for the recommendation. Do you think those gloves are good for sub-40F temps? I am on call to head down to Hood River and it looks like this Saturday is a go, but I noticed the temp is going to be around 39 - that is much colder than here in Seattle.
    I've been enjoying the lake but I haven't picked up booties or gloves yet. Lately I've been swimming more but I saw someone crossing lake Washington on Wednesday in the wind and it looked like a lot of fun so I might try and get out to paddle sometime soon. Where was your 13 mile shot? I did Portage Bay to Kirkland and back this summer and meydenbauer bay to the arboretum, I could definitely feel it in the balls of my feet when I was done!

Hood canal is about as cold as the lake right now on the south end and pretty sure it's several degrees colder up north.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I've been enjoying the lake but I haven't picked up booties or gloves yet. Lately I've been swimming more but I saw someone crossing lake Washington on Wednesday in the wind and it looked like a lot of fun so I might try and get out to paddle sometime soon. Where was your 13 mile shot? I did Portage Bay to Kirkland and back this summer and meydenbauer bay to the arboretum, I could definitely feel it in the balls of my feet when I was done!
    Hood canal is about as cold as the lake right now on the south end and pretty sure it's several degrees colder up north.
    Hey abraham! That is so cool, what board/setup do you have? Have you been to Urban Surf in Seattle? They have a lot of different booties to choose from but I also heard Northwest Outdoor Center has good ones from NRS.

Swimming is fun, I want to do more of that. Who did you see crossing Lake WA yesterday, a paddleboarder? That might have been me or my friend. It was sooo fun. The waves were up to 3' swells toward the north part of the lake. Below is a screenshot of our run. Those two runs you mentioned sound cool, I haven't done those. And I definitely want to get out to Hood Canal at some point soon. Have you been out there lately?

Name:  dw with lizzy.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  93.4 KB
    bc-lovah