Thread: Electric Greg

That was good. I hadn’t seen anything by him and I’m glad that he’s got a sense of humor.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Badass, and an inspiration. Skied with him once at a Salomon event, and he's for real, just as nice as he seems in the vid.

Brought to you by a company that is utterly dependent on petroleum derived materials to stay in business, and is owned at least in part by the most egregious polluter on the face of the earth. Holy fucking hypocrisy, Batman.

Hate to break it to ya there, Greg, but those sponsorship checks have quite the carbon footprint.

It's infuriating to see this sort of ridiculous greenwashing and outright lying. Fucking own the fact that skiing, whether lift served or backcountry, is a wasteful, resource-intensive pursuit. It always has been, and guess what, it always will be. This bullshit is like pissing on someone's head and telling them it's raining. If you aren't comfortable with the carbon footprint that is inevitably associated with skiing, then give it up, but don't feed me a line of shit about how you're helping the planet.

And don't get me started on the cognitive dissonance that has to exist for someone to profess to be helping the environment while they also go and do something as objectively deleterious for it as breeding.

Dark Prince of North Bend

There ain't no clean dollars on this marble... they all come from the ground at some point, so I don't care who writes the checks (cheques) to Mr. Hill.

He is demonstrating a purposeful reduction in his own footprint, an admirable act which we all should attempt.

Is hydro better or worse than fossil fuels? I wrestle with this issue. Just seeing the long term effects on native fish from the dams, and the level of environmental impact new dam projects are having on pristine water ways (look at the damns in BC, China, Argentina as examples.)

I guess you have to sacrifice somewhere.

(and yes I know I'm a motor head and run a business that keeps gas guzzlers on the road.)

Other than the problem of people dumping serious $$$ into them do people drive luxo gas guzzlers that much? A land cruiser ain’t worse than a jet trip across the globe

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    (and yes I know I'm a motor head and run a business that keeps gas guzzlers on the road.)
    But you don't have to be... https://expeditionportal.com/the-toy...-land-cruiser/

I like his use of a lime green jacket with neon blue pants and accessories.
    watch out for snakes

I like his use of a Sea Foam jacket with neon blue pants and accessories.
    FIFY

Having been a sailor with the US Navy and traveled to various dangerous locations witnessing many harbors and open water I have never seen sea foam in that color.
    watch out for snakes

No shit.
    About 30 years ago I saw a comic in San Francisco and his whole routine consisted of being a gay comic and telling jokes about being gay. He said it is always hard to find other gay folks to date, and apparently The Gap was a great place. Still, he said it was always hard to tell gay folks from non-gay folks. He said he figured out a way:
    He would approach the typical sales person there, (vaguely fashion conscious gay looking), and hold up a green sweater and ask them what color it was.
    He knew if they were gay if they answered “Sea Foam”.

I emailed buddy for training advice and he helped me out, his training recs even worked.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nice video. Thanks for the link. Greg does a good job of explaining what he thinks and why.

Electric Greg

His footprint is still huge and I don’t disagree with Gladmaster rant. But at least Greg is trying and his efforts do likely reduce his impact.

He’s doing a much better job than other Pro skiers who preach to us the climate religion. I know a couple in my town who own sleds, heli ski and travel extensively. All they seem to do is put POW stickers on their Tundras.
    Last edited by xyz; 12-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.

greg was so relatable and cool in this, great ski flick.

I think that the inability to imagine a future where we have much lower emissions but still live exciting, fulfilling lives is a major barrier. As a skier I definitely feel this and can’t be alone. It can feel like there is a 1:1 ratio between using fossil fuel having fun. But, i don’t think it’s true. Will I have much less fun if I carpool to skiing in an electric car vs drive by myself in a gas car? I doubt it. Good for Greg for at least trying to model what something different could look like.

It’s not imagination, it’s math. The BEV hype is the triumph of imagination over math.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    His footprint is still huge and I don’t disagree with Gladmaster rant. But at least Greg is trying and his efforts do likely reduce his impact.

He’s doing a much better job than other Pro skiers who preach to us the climate religion. I know a couple in my town who own sleds, heli ski and travel extensively. All they seem to do is put POW stickers on their Tundras.
    yeah this^^ hell we live in the richest place in the western world so of course the foot print for all of us is huge, the average pro skier or pro biker or wanabe pro skier or wanabe pro biker in BC is rocking the big truck to carry the big sled so here is the guy with the big cred showing us a what is possible which is what he has always done, another way of doing things ... a good flick sez I

he planted for some friends who told me the joke around camp was that Greg had 3 lungs , he doesn't have to pound trees anymore so good on him
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Is hydro better or worse than fossil fuels? I wrestle with this issue. Just seeing the long term effects on native fish from the dams, and the level of environmental impact new dam projects are having on pristine water ways (look at the damns in BC, China, Argentina as examples.)

I guess you have to sacrifice somewhere.

Hydro is greener energy source from a holistic global climate change perspective when compared to fossil fuel burning.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    It’s not imagination, it’s math. The BEV hype is the triumph of imagination over math.
    What are your sources and what alternatives do you recommend? Serious question. Most everything I have read suggest that driving a BEV emits significantly less carbon over the life of the vehicle - especially if the power source is low carbon.

What I did just learn is that 2/3 of particulates generated by a car are from tire and brake dust, so the biggest improvements to air quality from BEVs would seem to require a clean power source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...ar?wprov=sfti1

I work know a guy who is a total motor head. He’s got a fast Audi and a Ducati. He was getting frustrated of spending his commute stuck in traffic so he got a fairly powerful electric bike and just loves the thing - says it’s so fun to ride to work and he does not miss the freeway. I just don’t think our level of enjoyment is locked to the amount of carbon we are emitting at every second - it’s not a linear relationship.