Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Montana puts full-on marijuana legalization on November ballot.

The gist of it is all the current medical dispensaries (a fucking shitload) will be the first to sell to the public, starting in October 2021.

Here are the basic rules. Will it pass?

NEW SECTION. Section 8. Personal use and cultivation of marijuana -- penalties.

(1) Subject to the limitations in [section 16], the following acts are lawful and shall not be an
    offense under state law or the laws of any local government within the state or be a basis to
    impose a civil fine, penalty, or sanction, or be a basis to detain, search, or arrest, or otherwise
    deny any right or privilege, or to seize or forfeit assets under state law or the laws of any local
    government for a person who is 21 years of age or older:

(a) possessing, purchasing, obtaining, using, ingesting, inhaling, or transporting 1 ounce
    or less of marijuana, except that not more than 8 grams may be in a concentrated form;

(b) transferring, delivering, or distributing without consideration, to a person who is 21
    years of age or older, 1 ounce or less of marijuana, except that not more than 8 grams may be
    in a concentrated form;

(c) in or on the grounds of a private residence, possessing, planting, or cultivating up to
    four mature marijuana plants and four seedlings and possessing, harvesting, drying, processing,
    or manufacturing the marijuana, provided that:

(i) marijuana plants and any marijuana produced by the plants in excess of 1 ounce must
    be kept in a locked space in or on the grounds of one private residence and may not be visible
    by normal, unaided vision from a public place;

(ii) not more than twice the number of marijuana plants permitted under this subsection
    (1)(c) may be cultivated in or on the grounds of a single private residence simultaneously;

(iii) a person growing or storing marijuana plants under this subsection (1)(c) must own
    the private residence where the plants are cultivated and stored or obtain written permission
    to cultivate and store marijuana from the owner of the private residence; and

(iv) no portion of a private residence used for cultivation of marijuana and manufacture
    of marijuana-infused products for personal use may be shared with, rented, or leased to an
    adult-use provider or an adult-use marijuana-infused products provider;

(d) assisting another person who is at least 21 years of age in any of the acts permitted
    by this section, including allowing another person to use one's personal residence for any of the
    acts described in this section; and

(e) possessing, purchasing, using, delivering, distributing, manufacturing, transferring, or
    selling to persons 18 years of age or older paraphernalia relating marijuana.

(2) A person who cultivates marijuana plants that are visible by normal, unaided vision
    from a public place in violation of subsection (1)(c)(i) is subject to a civil fine not exceeding $250
    and forfeiture of the marijuana.

(3) A person who cultivates marijuana plants or stores marijuana outside of a locked
    space is subject to a civil fine not exceeding $250 and forfeiture of the marijuana.

(4) A person who smokes marijuana in a public place, other than in an area licensed for
    that activity by the department, is subject to a civil fine not exceeding $50.

EDIT: There are a number of subparts and some confusion below. I can't figure out how to make it indent right. Here is the full bill https://sosmt.gov/wp-content/uploads/I-190.pdf.

Section 8 starts on page 14 and is the relevant parts for, uh...end users.

The parts about keeping it under lock and key are about having more homegrown than the limits otherwise allow; the parts about not being visible to the public are also about homegrown, as are the landlord provisions. None of that applies to purchased product.

Basically the gist is we would have full retail stores starting 10/21 with unlimited variety of weed product at unlimited potency with limits only on amount-in-possession and public use. The bill was 100% written by people who were very much interested in a free for all.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 08-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.

I heard from a friend that 30% of some Spokane-based dispensaries' business is to those with MT drivers' licenses. Sorry to your tax revenue, WA.

You really think you can get it passed in MT? I hope so for your sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yes. There has only been one poll this year but it was 51% yes and 37% no. MT has a big "don't tell me what to do" streak and I think even plenty of Trump voters will vote for the devil's weed.

As far as I can tell, North Dakota is the only state to have rejected it as a ballot measure.

Good luck Montana!

Go devil's lettuce!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Goddamn, I wish I was a preacher in Montana.

Good to see the proposed Montana regulations provide for personal growing.

Here in Connecticut there is no provision for public initiated ballot referendums. Our only hope is for a legislated path.

Fat chance that ever happens.

There were 3 bills proposed last year and none of them included the right to grow your own. Furthermore, with all the taxes and excise taxes proposed, legal weed would have been 50% more expensive then black market weed. Not even to mention proposed caps on potency.

Now with all the attention on Covid19, legalization is not even a topic anymore.

MT's proposal has a 20% tax rate. That seems low, especially because WA is 37% (!!) and weed is still cheap as fuck. There is a sign on I-90 right at the ID/WA border advertising the current price per ounce and I believe it was $60 last time I drove by (edit just checked and you can Ozs for $40, wtf?). Is it good? I dunno, no reason to go that cheap when the dank is totally reasonable and the tankers are $35.

Caps on potency are wack.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Yes. There has only been one poll this year but it was 51% yes and 37% no. MT has a big "don't tell me what to do" streak and I think even plenty of Trump voters will vote for the devil's weed.

As far as I can tell, North Dakota is the only state to have rejected it as a ballot measure.
    I give it 70/30 chance in favor of passing.

But if the Greg the Reporter assaulter gets elected Governor, no telling what that asshole will do.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

MT has a big "don't tell me what to do" streak and I think even plenty of Trump voters will vote for the devil's weed.
    ^^ Truth. ^^

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Hope it will pass. With idaho being sandwiched in between two legal states, maybe they will pull their heads out of their ass and make it legal here as well.
    Guy can dream, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Hope it will pass. With idaho being sandwiched in between FOUR legal states, maybe they will pull their heads out of their ass and make it legal here as well.
    Guy can dream, right?
    FIFY. But yeah, I would expect Idaho will come in the mid to late 40s if every state legalizes on its own.

Good luck MT, I bet it passes easily though.

Just got back from the weed store here in MA. All done quickly and efficiently outside because of covid but I wonder what they'll do in the winter. They have big open-sided tents with fans blowing everywhere, keeps the rain off but that's gonna be chilly in February.

Curbside pickup?

advertising the current price per ounce and I believe it was $60 last time I drove by (edit just checked and you can Ozs for $40, wtf?). Is it good? I dunno, no reason to go that cheap when the dank is totally reasonable and the tankers are $35.

Caps on potency are wack.
    $40 an oz = male plants with a ton of stems in it I bought my girl a quarter last week and it was about $90 for some nice two hit wonder weed.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

@ Root: No, they hand you an order form as you pull in the parking lot, you fill that out and hand it in in one tent with widely spaced lines with distance marking on the gound, then they call your name and tell you what register line to get in in the next tent. The registers are all around the perimeter of that tent with the staff in the middle and fans right in the middle blowing out. They deliver it to the register, you pay and leave. I was the only customer at my register, they do it one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    $40 an oz = male plants with a ton of stems in it
    I just looked and it's more like shake. I doubt any male plants survive anywhere in the state.

Good move. If they had just gone half-on, it shows weakness. Best of luck, MT.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Hope it will pass. With idaho being sandwiched in between two legal states, they will never pull their heads out of their ass and make it legal here as well since the southern part of the state is full of people worried about being better mormons than the ones in Utah.
    fify

MT has a big "don't tell me what to do" streak and I think even plenty of Trump voters will vote for the devil's weed.
    Yup. Exactly. In MT, I think I stood in common company being pro-legalization while non-partaker. Seemed a LOT of people I knew there had that Libertarian stance on the matter.

Good luck, guys. Should pass pretty handily this time around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

FIFY. But yeah, I would expect Idaho will come in the mid to late 40s if every state legalizes on its own.
    Idaho follows UT. Not sure where that puts us. I wonder how many school lunches I’ve bought for kids in WA, OR, CA, NV, and CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Idaho follows UT. Not sure where that puts us. I wonder how many school lunches I’ve bought for kids in WA, OR, CA, NV, and CO.
    Then hopefully you'll get medical soon enough
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

It might pass in MT but the dumbass landowner legislature will fuck with it as much as possible, same as they did with medical marijuana.

Passed in Maine n 2016 and state is still fucking around to implement it

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Passed in Maine n 2016 and state is still fucking around to implement it
    That’s because they didn’t tax it enough to make it worthwhile.