Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    For washing machines. If you want longevity.

Buy a top load with a mechanical dial.

They last decades. And cost less.
    These are not available anymore (at least in Canada)

Everything has to be high efficiency which requires a control board and lots of complicated (easy to break) sensors.

I've been through 2 modern washers this year, first one was a cheap one from Home Depot. After many episodes, it got sold at a lost and I purchased a new Maytag one from the local appliance shop. If anything happens, I have somewhere to go.

I found the whole experience very frustrating.

@Tor-tour nice... this is what I'm looking for.

The next time I buy new I'll ask more questions in it's repairability and warranty.

How old is the unit you repaired?

I'm kind of wondering if the older stuff would have provided me the option to just replace an $80 part... but the new one doesn't?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    All the reviews I have read agree. In a smaller sample size, my neighbors went full-LG in their renovation and have had to replace the refrigerator after 3 years and the dishwasher after 4 years. LG CS sucks and nobody in rural Vermont will work on them.
    Or even not so rural VT. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    These are not available anymore (at least in Canada)

Everything has to be high efficiency which requires a control board and lots of complicated (easy to break) sensors.

I've been through 2 modern washers this year, first one was a cheap one from Home Depot. After many episodes, it got sold at a lost and I purchased a new Maytag one from the local appliance shop. If anything happens, I have somewhere to go.

I found the whole experience very frustrating.
    You will only have somewhere to go for 1 year unless you bought an extended warranty

Appliances are luck of the draw IMO. We typically try to buy higher end stuff that reviewed well in the hope it can last 10 years prior to us getting $250 to death by the repair guy before we buy a new appliance. If LG will fix it for $279 I would just do it and move on in the hope it is then trouble free for 8 more years. Our previous LG washer/dryer lasted for 10 years before it started to shit the bed. The GE that replaced it seems even better. Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    You will only have somewhere to go for 1 year unless you bought an extended warranty

I understand, however the local shop does have their own repairmen and is a single source of contact to bitch at.

Right to repair!

A $700 washer will work well for as long as a $1500 washer so in this case "buy twice" is the right answer.

Just as a data point, I recently picked up a basic stainless dishwasher at a scratch and dent appliance place for $125. It was a new unit that was installed in order to get a CO then removed and sent to the scratch & dent place.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Back when grandfather had the bauxite mine in Guyana, his washer was an Amerindian woman named Maria. She would beat his clothes on a rock with a stick while standing in ankle deep water in the Berbice River. After drying in the hot tropical sun and after a light dusting of taro starch on his cotton dress shirts, his clothes would look as if they came from a Chinese laundry in San Francisco.
    Anyway, one day it was quite busy at the river and Maria ventured beyond the confines of the ankle deep portion of the river and was attacked by piranha. She later succumbed to her injuries. A repairman would have been of little use in this situation, but fortunately Maria had a sister, Candela, who grandfather hired in her stead.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^^^ sounds like you forgot to log in as digital drews mom

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Oh stop fred. I'm me, she's she.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Oh stop fred. I'm me, she's she.
    if you want to come out of the closet (or washing machine) this is a safe place

That writing style is familiar, though. Hemingway?

Hemingway is from Joisey? Who knoo

I'm not Hemingway. I admired his work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I would talk to the local appliance repair company. My brother repairs appliances. He actually says LG is the best of the non-high end appliances. Most reliable and easiest for him to work on and get parts.
    Same with when I talked to the appliance parts shop I go to. They know EXACTLY what's good/bad for every year. Brands have all had their ups and downs. Some we've considered great have massively gone downhill, and some that were crap aren't as bad these days. Doesn't seem to be any set rule. Worth going in and shooting the shit with the parts counter person and seeing what they have to say.

I have an LG washer/dryer combo I got cheap second-hand, and it's been great, but I've heard horror stories about their fridges. As a gross generalization, I would avoid most anything Samsung. Even though I have a few of their things, I still think they are teh suck. My biggest beef with the Korean brands like Samsung is that they are very much on the spendy side while ALSO being unreliable. I could forgive their lack of reliability if they were also cheap. Go walk the aisles at Home Depot/Lowes and a Samsung Fridge can easily set you back like 3 G's. For THAT much money, now we're into Miele counter-depth territory and other higher end Euro brands, and I'd rather go German than Korean. Again, as a gross generalization.

Then there are some brands that ARE known for not being the most reliable, like Sub-Zero, BUT they do at least have a pretty good advantage in parts availability and serviceability. I can see some value in that.

I wish Hemingway would return
    I still call it The Jake.

Just here to say that Samsung is just as bad. Fridge and dishwasher both lasted less than 3 years. At least the dishwasher was light enough to go out the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Just here to say that Samsung is just as bad. Fridge and dishwasher both lasted less than 3 years. At least the dishwasher was light enough to go out the back door.

I shoulda done that with MY POS Samsung dishwasher. I threw every conceivable possible component at it, short of the motherboard, which would cost about as much a replacement dishwasher. Was also >3 years old and the guy who bought it, spent about $2K on it!!! WHY?!

I replaced it with some fancy floor model GE Cafe that, while nothing to write home about, I scored for a couple hundred bucks, and has been much better at actually doing it's sole job, washing dishes. That fancy Samsung "waterfall" sprayer was utterly worthless, even when it "worked." What an expensive piece of junk.

Sort of accumulated LG appliances non-purposely tho it's nice having all the finishes match. With that, I'll count myself in the lucky camp. Fridge, Front Loader, Dryer, Stove. Going on ten years and only 1 DYI repair of a washing machine elec control valve which was a common part used across makes and mfgrs.

My dishwasher is at the same 1100-1200 price point as the OP and I've only have had it 1 year. Crossing fingers on the longevity but functionally & lack of noise, it's impressive thus far. It connects to your phone in seemingly non-useful ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Back when grandfather had the bauxite mine in Guyana, his washer was an Amerindian woman named Maria. She would beat his clothes on a rock with a stick while standing in ankle deep water in the Berbice River. After drying in the hot tropical sun and after a light dusting of taro starch on his cotton dress shirts, his clothes would look as if they came from a Chinese laundry in San Francisco.
    Anyway, one day it was quite busy at the river and Maria ventured beyond the confines of the ankle deep portion of the river and was attacked by piranha. She later succumbed to her injuries. A repairman would have been of little use in this situation, but fortunately Maria had a sister, Candela, who grandfather hired in her stead.
    How much does that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post

See... this is what I kind of want to do and post my tirade on IG.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    I understand, however the local shop does have their own repairmen and is a single source of contact to bitch at.
    I'll check out a couple of repair places but with low expectations... the part costs as much as LG wants for the entire repair... probably by design.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Appliances are luck of the draw IMO. We typically try to buy higher end stuff that reviewed well in the hope it can last 10 years prior to us getting $250 to death by the repair guy before we buy a new appliance. If LG will fix it for $279 I would just do it and move on in the hope it is then trouble free for 8 more years. Our previous LG washer/dryer lasted for 10 years before it started to shit the bed. The GE that replaced it seems even better. Time will tell.
    If... and big if... that fixes it for 8 years the value wouldn't be horrible.

But only standing by the work for 90 days, and the outright lying makes me want to give them zero more $$$ ever and buy something from someone that will stand by it with a real warranty.