Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

ROCKY MTN FISHING CONDITIONS 2011

Figured this season we'd go back to all the states in the Rocky Mtn region. I missed many of the 1 pic TR's in the CO/UT thread until I went back to check em out.

Please try and keep this thread to conditions/verbal reports and 1-2 pics per post. Many of the guys that don't live in the region would like to see your pics/individual TR's. So POST MORE TR's and dump a pic or 2 in here if it doesn't warrant it's own thread. IMHO, the Ski/Snowboard forum has lost it's charm, somewhat due to a bunch of cuntcake idiots but also helped by the area, "official......" threads. Granted, I post in the JH/Tog/Tetons thread and read it but quite a bit of the content in those threads could be shared with everyone that doesn't routinely check in to each of them.

Have a bent season!
    Last edited by schwerty; 02-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.

I hear fishing is good in Colorado! January session:

Adipose thinks so too:

Nice, didn't know you fished in Colo much..
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

We want the new boat photos Adipose! Can hardly wait to see that beaut!

Word is around the Tetons that the Snake has been fishing but very slow and only on the sunny warm days...go figure, it's february.

The only other regional stream I've heard reports from, (outside of those from Adipose and WsR's neck of the woods), is the South Fork. Fishing has been good from 11ish - 3ish on days when the air temps get into the mid 30's. Some dry fly fishing but more productive midging right below the surface when there is a hatch. Dredging with attractors, midge patterns and rubber legs is producing to. The flows are up a little from what we usually see in the winter. Still excellent wading opportunities! Nobody I know has floated it yet. Prolly not worth the hassle.

I'll have my first day of 2011 on saturday! Either the Hank or the South Fork. Not sure yet!

She rows like a dream,,, some shots from the lower Sweetwater Slough

H.D. Thoreau

Good lookin fish and boat!
    -----------------------------

My plans of the Hank were spoiled last weekend due to time constraints so I hit the Snake here in JH. Brought the camera but there was no reason to bust it out. A few whities and 4 small cutts. Wacky weather around here! Mid-upper 40's with some wind all weekend. Midge activity was heavy, especially in between big gusts. Despite the hatches, fishing was tough. Very few fish feeding within 8 or so inches from the surface. Deep nymphing wasn't even good. I didn't take the water temp but it is still real fucking cold in the canyon. A little warmer in the valley, (swinging bridge and Wilson bridge) but not quite warm enough to call it fishing season yet.

We need winter to continue it's normal course! 3-4 weeks and the fishing in JH will pick up. Heard the South Fork was excellent the last couple days. Midging a few inches below, some bwo's, and good streamer fishing.

So Adipose, did you buy the boat from Schwerty? Did it come with the oars shown in his picture? The Premieres I believe? I just picked up a pair for SMOKING cheap and I am wondering how other people like them? Just wondering if they are going to be my noew go to oar or they are going in the rafters of the garage as a back up pair? Schwerty have you used them what do you think?
    Also, I have not been out much lately but am getting ready for an A/B trip down the Green and am thinking a major swing through Wyoming in April (Platte, Bighorn, Fremont, etc) kind of a work, fish and visit the parents kind of thing... IT would be very cool to hook up with some of the other mags. I will have drift boat in tow.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So Adipose, did you buy the boat from Schwerty? Did it come with the oars shown in his picture? The Premieres I believe? I just picked up a pair for SMOKING cheap and I am wondering how other people like them? Just wondering if they are going to be my noew go to oar or they are going in the rafters of the garage as a back up pair? Schwerty have you used them what do you think?
    Also, I have not been out much lately but am getting ready for an A/B trip down the Green and am thinking a major swing through Wyoming in April (Platte, Bighorn, Fremont, etc) kind of a work, fish and visit the parents kind of thing... IT would be very cool to hook up with some of the other mags. I will have drift boat in tow.
    My buddy went with a new boat from the fine folks at Boulder Boats Works in Boulder, Co. Oars are from Sawyer. Drop me a line of you're in central Wyoming.
    H.D. Thoreau

Both of the boats that I have posted here are still for sale!

I have used those sticks. Love 'em. Nice and light, very responsive and overall a great row. You'll be happy with them.

I'll be here if you make it close to the Tetons. The Snake isn't really worth the trip for a while yet, especially when you have to pass so many other great winter/spring rivers to get here. The South Fork is starting to turn on and would be worth the trip if we are seeing daytime temps above 30! When are you thinking of heading up?

Thanks for the info, Schwerty, I am excited to get out and give the new sticks a whirl. I dont think my work travels will be taking me to the Jackson Hole area, but if you are down we could maybe work in a Henrys Fork and or South Fork outing?

Adipose, I will for SURE be passing through your neck of the woods, my parents live in between Cody and Powell, so I will be passing through. I will indeed give you a heads up as plans get closer and more solid.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I'm down for anything within a couple hours of Jh, with a little lead time...

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I'm down for anything within a couple hours of Jh, with a little lead time...
    Maybe you guys are aware already but the new 2011 ID regs dramatically changed the early season game in east ID. The Teton, Fall and Warm are now open for April and May and our spring days can be dramatically warmer with more bugs and active fish than over on the east slope. These small rivers respond quickly to a warm day though with Targhee extending lift service till 4/17, I'm not rooting for warm days anytime soon. Finally, some good early season alternatives to the Lower Henry's. In fact, now I can get through an entire season without having to go over to the Henry's or South Fork.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-10-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I am excited about those rivers being open this spring! Never bothers me to fish the SF or HF in the spring before the guide boats get going or the guides flock there themselves. But, having extra options will be excellent.

For anyone thinking of fishing around the Teton region:

The flows on the Snake, (below Jackson Lake Dam), are being ramped up daily. Earlier and heavier than normal. We usually see a little and sudden spike on this side of the Tetons by the middle of the month. The difference is, most years they hold it around 1000cfs-1500csf for 2-3 weeks....keeping the fishing good and the larger fish in the main river. Being a big snow year with more on the way, flows are set to reach the 5000cfs level by 4/15! That ain't gonna bode well for early season fishing. It has to be done, or we'd be seeing 4-5k coming out of the dam well into the July and maybe august. The South Fork is being ramped up to 14,000cfs to accomodate. The SF should fish well a few days after it hits the 14k mark. Wading will not be an option in the main river. A few side channels will work though.

Being that runoff hasn't hit the area yet, the big flows in the Snake/SF will push many of the large Cutts up the tribs. Spawn time is still a ways off for the Cutthroat so fishing in the small streams and spring creeks should be good until they blow out.

With all the snow the Tetons have seen over the past few weeks, I can't imagine the Henry's Fork is seeing the usual influx of JH and Teton Valley, ID folks that it sometimes does this time of year. It will come though and with high flows on the upper Snake, you can bet the HF will be a mess of boats soon, especially if the nights don't get too warm.

16 ft Clacka on WY craigslist for 2000. A mag might wanna give em a call.

Broke in the 2011 license. First time to fish the Teton in April, so it was a new look at familiar water. Waded the upper Teton. Cloudy water w/ 1-2ft vis. No responses to streamers but large flashy nymphs high sticked along the deeper cutbanks produced here and there. Two anglers, 4 hours, 12 trout and we got the whitey, cutt, brook and bow slam. Nothing over 14 inches. #20 midges around but no rising fish observed and zilch on the midge nymph. Walked up on 4 moose, saw a few eagles.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.

More snow on the way............................................... ...................... I am really over this shit!

Just read that the Green flows below the dam are expected to bump up to 8,600 sometime in the next month. Has anyone ever fished it at those levels? Thinking I will likely need to push out my early June float trip or buy a full sink tip and throw streamers the whole time.

Hey Colman, I fished it last year when they had the flush going on and it wasnt great. I am actually going up this Thursday and will be fishing in the 4,600 CFS flow and will post up a report. I have heard the fishing can be good when they are doing the big flush but that has not been my experience. For sure it will be heavily weighted streamers and nymph rigs.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    It can fish alright at those levels most of the action is in the big back eddies and most of the guide boats will be lines doing nymph laps w/ bounce rigs, w/ bacon & eggs and the pontoon guys will be struggling to fish and control their crafts The steeper canyon walls of the A bring the depth up. Where as the b and c allow for the water to spread out not up. Bigger fish seem to be more agressive protecting new high water lies and streamer fishing can be good specially in low light
    Check flows comin out of Fontanelle on the upper and consider that. Or check out Jones hole but that'll probably be crowded.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Hey Colman, I fished it last year when they had the flush going on and it wasnt great. I am actually going up this Thursday and will be fishing in the 4,600 CFS flow and will post up a report. I have heard the fishing can be good when they are doing the big flush but that has not been my experience. For sure it will be heavily weighted streamers and nymph rigs.
    Looks like the flows were just bumped to 9,500cfs last night. Will be curious to hear how the fishing is. Maybe it will force out some of the big ones from their hiding spots.

I've fished it at 4,000 or so twice and both times found the fishing to be tough. I do recall barely making it under the bridge near the start of C at that level.

Yes we just went large! I have a couple of frieds flying in to fish tomorrow and am torn about what to do. I have heard that it is FAST so you should plan on doing an A/B float. I think BIG streamers are the key. Also wondering if we would be better of looking for differnet waters. Schwerty, Neckdeep to the white courtesy phone! Any reason to drag the boat to Ashton?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'd go it'll be a fun row anyhow specially dripping springs. shit at those flows you can do an A, B, C, and be back to DJ by 4:20. In one sense it should be easy to locate fish as there won't be many in the main river channel fighting those flows whether or not there gonna be willing to eat maybe a different story. Do a B/C, Doubt you can get under Taylor flats bridge but you could pull out and relaunch from the getto camp below the tfb campground or bridgeport/ cowboybar.
    If I don't get back to chitown for moms day nonrevin tom. I'll probably head over.
    Let me know if ya wanna borrow a fullsink line, Class III life vests or 1 oz. egg sinkers
    Chuck and duck
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Dibs, that is pretty much what I was thinking too, In fact I was going to call you in a bit and get your opinion. I am debating an A/B float and just chucking the biggest gnarliest streamers in the box. What the hell huh? I have never seen the river with flows this big. Dripping Springs must be RAGING! If you dont go to CHI Town let me know. Have fun with the Non Rev, I have spent some quality airport time doing that.