Page 1408 of 1842 FirstFirst ... 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 ... LastLast
Results 35,176 to 35,200 of 46044
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Is there a safety switch on it? My weed whacker has one and every now and then I forget to flip it to the "run" position before pulling the cord.
    There is an on/off that I check religiously, yes.
    focus.

Check the wiring on the backside of that there switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ewww. It hadn’t occurred to me that that upper shelf where I put my non bagged produce was likely the seat of a stinky diaper.
    Fuck, this is going to stay with me for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    Fuck, this is going to stay with me for a bit
    So will TB.

Appropriate thread to bring it up in though.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    People are robots nowadays also and can't think for themselves. I went to the bagel store yesterday and the total was $5.50. I gave her a 20 and a single and completely blew her mind. Handed back the single like i was the idiot and said it's only 5.50. Even if you're so clueless that you can't do it in your head, just enter $21 as received and the register will tell you. Another girl came over and tried to explain, but it was going nowhere.
    Ya, I've given up unless the cashier looks to be at least 40yo. Kids these days.

People are robots nowadays also and can't think for themselves. I went to the bagel store yesterday and the total was $5.50. I gave her a 20 and a single and completely blew her mind. Handed back the single like i was the idiot and said it's only 5.50. Even if you're so clueless that you can't do it in your head, just enter $21 as received and the register will tell you. Another girl came over and tried to explain, but it was going nowhere.
    I guess I identify with the cashier here…what is the lesson here? You only want big bills? Seems odd to make it passive aggressive…just ask for the change you want?

Speaking of grocery bags, it annoys me that anytime I buy a single tallboy beer or even a six-pack of cans, the clerk puts it in a bag even after I say I don't need a bag. Half of them tell me it's required by law, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect. Usually, I stand there after I have paid, take the beer out of the bag they just put it in, and leave the bag on the counter.

I've encountered that lately. Had to explain to the clerk at a petsmart that I wanted a five back and not 4 ones. I could see her mind trying to figure out if I was trying to pull a fast one on her.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I don't ever buy celery.
    How, in the FSM's name, do you make your soffritos?!?

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Speaking of grocery bags, it annoys me that anytime I buy a single tallboy beer or even a six-pack of cans, the clerk puts it in a bag even after I say I don't need a bag. Half of them tell me it's required by law, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect. Usually, I stand there after I have paid, take the beer out of the bag they just put it in, and leave the bag on the counter.
    As ridiculous as that does sound, it is Utah after all. Think of the children!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ya, I've given up unless the cashier looks to be at least 40yo. Kids these days.
    Obvious failure of the American education system. And people wonder why my family chooses to do our own thing on the home front to supplement. We do something called Singapore Math at home. It's the basis of what much of the world does and why so many other countries kick our ass on this front. Mental math. My 4 and 5 year old spawn can figure out the cashier's conundrum more easily than all those dum dums we see out there. Not exaggerating. Not bragging. They're normal kids. They're just being taught right.
    In case you're curious: https://www.singaporemath.com/what-is-singapore-math/

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    There is an on/off that I check religiously, yes.
    Have you considered the possibility that you have the arm strength of a toddler?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've encountered that lately. Had to explain to the clerk at a petsmart that I wanted a five back and not 4 ones. I could see her mind trying to figure out if I was trying to pull a fast one on her.
    It used to be in Utah that a six pack was considered an open container if it wasn’t in a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    It used to be in Utah that a six pack was considered an open container if it wasn’t in a bag.
    That's a myth according to my internet sleuthing and it doesn't just happen in Utah (also according to my extensive research

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Obvious failure of the American education system.
    This is also bullshit. It's not like people having trouble with simple math is a new thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that you have the arm strength of a toddler?
    This is almost certainly a contributing factor. Maybe I should have my girlfriend start it for me?
    focus.

You guys still use cash? wtf

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is also bullshit. It's not like people having trouble with simple math is a new thing...
    Not bullshit. It's FAR worse than its ever been. If they don't just have to push a picture of an item on a touch screen, they're completely mystified and baffled. And yes, much of it does have to do with how we're teaching math. ie we're doing it wrong. Source: Wife who taught Kindergarten and 1st for years, who got introduced to Singapore math later in her career, incorporated it in her classrooms, got kick ass results. Is NOT the norm, although thankfully it is gaining traction. It's not the only good program, just the only one I can name as it's what we've been using. It's pretty rad seeing a bunch of 1st graders crunching big numbers in their heads and spouting off correct answers without having to think too hard about it.

There's a reason most Asian countries completely DESTROY us in the math department.

Shit that annoys you

I see some of that. Being bad at math somehow became a point of pride rather than a point of shame, and then we embrace it rather than address it. It’s not just math, either.

Agreed. Annoying.
    focus.

In some places with archaic liquor laws you have to do it
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

If they don’t have to put my 30 pack in a bag why one or six?
    But yes, fuggin Utah
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Because liquor laws can be stupid, provincial, illogical and hard to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Obvious failure of the American education system. And people wonder why my family chooses to do our own thing on the home front to supplement. We do something called Singapore Math at home. It's the basis of what much of the world does and why so many other countries kick our ass on this front. Mental math. My 4 and 5 year old spawn can figure out the cashier's conundrum more easily than all those dum dums we see out there. Not exaggerating. Not bragging. They're normal kids. They're just being taught right.
    In case you're curious: https://www.singaporemath.com/what-is-singapore-math/
    Well aren't you just fucking wonderful.

My wife trains teachers and homeschooled our Kindergartener last year. She used Singapore math. Good stuff.

I love my daughter dearly but I gotta get away from her for a bit. Three days straight of only school talk. Assignments, test scores, hates being at a 3.95 gpa….the anxiety this kid has over grades is giving me a metric fuckton of anxiety too. Then her lists of colleges is only Ivy league now out East that her 31 year old guidance counselor says she should only set her sights for. Kid has now pretty much abandoned UW for premed.

I think I’m going to put a call into this lady and give her a piece of my mind regarding reality.
    Setting kids up for potential failure without having a safety net of reasonable schools is completely ridiculous.

Why do we still have useless guidance counselors?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

And my wife’s driving. I’m about to die.