Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Can anyone name a single benefit learned from spending billions of dollars on space exploration? Cool pictures, yes, curiosities peaked, yes. One life altering discovery, not even close.

Now they found a planet millions of light years away that is just like Earth. And??? Im a one Earth kind of guy, f those other planets.

Earthling til I die bitches
    They have found organic materials on Mars and Rosetta/Philae found organics on a comet. So there is the beginnings of hard evidence that life exists (or once existed) outside of earth, which pretty much undermines most major religions. Combine that information with another planet that could be a sibling to earth in composition and start asking if we're really alone in the universe. I think the statistics already have disproved that tenant of religion with a slight chance of organic life is habit areas times enough chances makes it very likely. How about that?

Exploration isn't a big thing, until it's a huge thing. Just ask Columbus.

And yeah, NASA material sciences division wouldn't exist without a space exploration division. If you're really just pissed off about our spending, look at the costs on the joint strike fighter which is out performed by the good ol' F-16. There's bigger fish to fry than NASA.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    that's why in the future you will trade it for a Mars rover. Duh.

Just don't let Pio drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Duck Tape. Imagine life without it.
    I hope that was intentional?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Here's something to ruminate on: Would the Wu-Tang Clan have ever come into existence... without Tang?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I hadn't heard of him before -- that was pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I hadn't heard of him before -- that was pretty awesome
    WTF?

Have you been living on Mars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Clearly his Revolution wasn't Televised.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    WTF?

Have you been living on Mars?
    Maybe too young or not enough TV...I dunno

The funding for NASA is ~0.5% of the federal budget. Cutting that wouldn't do shit but take away further innovation and imagination. Do you like your cell phone, GPS, satellite TV, or Google Earth? Provided by satellites in space.

Not one person has posted something that we gained from space exploration.

this is really crazy, so, somebody sent this spaceship into space and it has a go pro on it, and they send it through the interwebs back to us, and you can tell what kind of weather is happening even in places far away from you!!!

I blame NASA for inspiring this atrocious sci-fi film in which Joan Baez is allowed to scream at the viewer for two hours while shitty versions of R2D2 walk around:

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

this is really crazy, so, somebody sent this spaceship into space and it has a go pro on it, and they send it through the interwebs back to us, and you can tell what kind of weather is happening even in places far away from you!!!
    Can they beam down and fry the homeless for energy? That's a lot of untapped energy.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I blame NASA for inspiring this atrocious sci-fi film in which Joan Baez is allowed to scream at the viewer for two hours while shitty versions of R2D2 walk around:

Silent Running begot Logan's Run which begot Star Wars, plus I loved Tang, and TV dinners. <old>

w/o space exploration, how are we to understand how the original 5th planet was destroyed?!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    You know they were meant to be Wu-Gang Clan but the record label fucked up, stoned I think.
    well played
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Can anyone name a single benefit learned from spending billions of dollars on space exploration? Cool pictures, yes, curiosities peaked, yes. One life altering discovery, not even close.

Now they found a planet millions of light years away that is just like Earth. And??? Im a one Earth kind of guy, f those other planets.

Earthling til I die bitches
    I mostly agree. Our own planet is fucked up...let's fix that.

On the other hand, if we can find another planet that is habitable, maybe we can ship the assholes there. I think I just found worth in the space program.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Try and wrap your mind around this; the light you see is 1400 years old. Don't you think you would want to know what is going on on that light source today? How do you think you are going to figure that out without a space program?

I'm really freaking impressed that we were able to shoot a rocket at Pluto and get such great pictures. I mean, we shot that bird off 9 years ago, from a moving object, and managed to intercept another moving object - using technology that is 9 years old. Most people don't keep their cars for that long.
    And we still drive around shitty, polluting cars, have coal plants that fucking wreck our air and remove mountains to get at said coal.

I find the dichotomy between the "awesomeness" of space exporation and the shittiness of the "technology" that we are left with down here on earth depressing.

I just don't give a shit if there is another habitable planet 1,400 light years away. How is that going to help create jobs in Uz-beki-beki-beki-stan?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    And yeah, NASA material sciences division wouldn't exist without a space exploration division. If you're really just pissed off about our spending, look at the costs on the joint strike fighter which is out performed by the good ol' F-16. There's bigger fish to fry than NASA.
    Pffft, just look at the money we spend on the entire military / defense industries. Whether it is for combat operations for failed wars or all of the money we blow on military support / intelligence (that's a good one) like the Pentagon, NSA, CIA, etc.
    We would have fucking warp drive star cruisers by now and cold fusion if half of the money wasted on this countries BS military and intelligence services had been given to NASA. I for one would have been a lot happy with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

dammit I like Tang
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    On the other hand, if we can find another planet that is habitable, maybe we can ship the assholes there. I think I just found worth in the space program.
    It doesn't really have to be habitable, we just have to convince them that it is.

Kinda like Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Kinda like Australia?
    Exactly. And if it turns out they survive and take up surfing, fine.

If 'cool' isn't a benefit, then there's been an awful waste on fixie bikes, tats, wealth, piercings, Grateful Dead, fancy food, sn00ty wine, fast cars, monster trucks, blues records, penis shoes, McMansions, education, god, electricity, wombats, goose elbows and green things in general.

Soon a new rapport, you and your new little green and yellow buddies grooving together, bowling together, worshipping together at the church of your choice.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It doesn't really have to be habitable, we just have to convince them that it is.
    That was a movie.

Philosophically, one would think that all of you that preach tolerance would just tolerate everyone. Or is it only who you want to tolerate? Which kinda makes you the same as the intolerant you abhor, no?

Take the pilgrims. They just wanted to get the fuck out of England. I'm not mormon, but I'm guessing they too just wanted to go to SLC so they can do their weird stuff and not be bothered. Now they have an internet full of east coast transplants skiing indie skis with AT bindings and avalungs bothering them. So if some goofballs want to colonize space so they can do their stuff, and be the first ones, who cares?
    Last edited by Timberridge; 07-29-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If 'cool' isn't a benefit, then there's been an awful waste on fixie bikes, tats, wealth, piercings, Grateful Dead, fancy food, sn00ty wine, fast cars, monster trucks, blues records, penis shoes, McMansions, education, god, electricity, wombats, goose elbows and green things in general.

Soon a new rapport, you and your new little green and yellow buddies grooving together, bowling together, worshipping together at the church of your choice.
    Grateful Dead?

Electricity?