Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ADVICE/HELP Tacoma off road recovery (Western MT)

About a week ago I was returning from a backpacking trip in Many Glacier and decided to have a little fun on the hills outside of Two Medicine. Not far off the paved road (less than quarter mile) I found myself high pointing a steep double track. I made it to the top but totally f'ed the turn around and lodged it sideways (high sided). After struggling with no equipment and rain/darkness on us we walked back and hitched a ride back to East Glacier. I called the nearest and seemingly only tow company in the area who advised me to hang around till morning and they could come get me out. The next week was a whole lot of excuses as to why they hadn't gotten it out yet, and yesterday they sounded as if they were done trying. I've been considering options for other tow's from Kalispell but they are very pricey and I am not sure a wrecker is what I need. Its an 02 tacoma, totally stock, decent off road tires (although the rear are in need of replacing), and has the trd package with rear lockers. Its perched near the end of the hill and seems as if it could roll down the hill if you pushed it in the wrong direction. My first thought was wenching it out, but its nearly impossible to get past the truck to winch from above. Surely a quad, or other small truck could squeeze by, but no way a wrecker could get around it. The hill is quite steep as well, apparently enough so that a bobcat couldn't get by without protecting it from above from rolling. Winching from the bottom of the hill would require a long cable and some sort of anchor above the truck to have uphill traction. Without that you'd just pull it off the hill and it'd probably roll right into you. From what I remember the tree's are not substantial but maybe could work? (donno what is required in trees). Land anchor may be needed but I have no clue how to use one or where to get one. Come along from above attaching to the rear of the truck would allow me to pull it into the turn around point, but I haven't ever used one. I also don't know where to attach at the rear of the truck as I do not have a hitch or receiver.

I am looking for advice or help to get this sucker out... I don't want it to sit much longer as winter is quickly approaching. Was thinking of heading up there next week to see what I can do but I need a crew and some more knowledge so I don't kill myself . I am willing to bust a decent sum of cash on equipment considering it will probably be cheaper than the tow from kalispell anyways. One good thing to note... The truck has full coverage so if it gets destroyed I am not totally screwed (although I will miss her if she dies!)

Summary:

Where can I tow off the rear of a stock 02 tacoma without a winch?
    Come along gonna kill me? or is it just a myth and when used properly they kick ass?
    What sort of equipment should I look at getting?
    Was thinking come along (recommendations?), straps for tree anchor, high lift jack to help shovel out the berm it is high sided on. Maybe chains for more traction if its muddy.
    Who wants to help? I will compensate with beer/cash

next guy through gets to keep your parts
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

At first thought, I'd try to tow off your trailer hitch. Failing that, you might try a frame attachment that won't impede the two strap.

A come-along might work, if it's rated properly. I've never used one.

As for gear, the best tool you have is between your ears. You should probably be focused on getting out first.

SInce most of the two companies won't/can't help, I'd hop one of the Toyota forums and beg, plead or otherwise bribe some local guys with proper recovery gear to come help you. I'd look at TTORA, IH8MUD or YotaTech.

Sounds like you might be proper fucked...

I have a semi-burly come along and a 100' tow strap in kalispell. I've got an F-250 that we could try to pull it with, but the truck is fairly long and isn't lifted or anything, so it's not especially off-road capable - from the sounds of it, I'm not sure how close we could get to your truck. I have the regular jack that came with my truck, but I don't have a high-lift jack. Shoot me a PM if you want to try to rig something up and pull it out of there.

A high lift or come along should work well if there is any anchor points on top. Another good forum is pirate4x4 or look to any 4x4 clubs, no doubt for a couple of cases someone could have you out in a jiffy. Any 4x4 shops around they should know most of the people too. There should be lots of guys in the area who should be able to give you a hand.

Where can I tow off the rear of a stock 02 tacoma without a winch? Basically any place on the frame- just don't let it rub all up on the body and you should be fine
    Come along gonna kill me? or is it just a myth and when used properly they kick ass? the work great, slow and take a little learning but have worked great, always can use a high lift as comealong in a pinch, also if your scared and being safe throw a floor mat/ sweater or something over strap or to keep it from flying if it breaks. Could also use a snatch block (pulley)
    What sort of equipment should I look at getting? See above, but in reality if you find someone they should have most of that stuff
    Was thinking come along (recommendations?), straps for tree anchor, high lift jack to help shovel out the berm it is high sided on. Maybe chains for more traction if its muddy. -- This is a good idea and should work, can get most things out with straps, comealong, shovel and jack.

Good luck, If I was a around I would be happy to help

Got any jeep or off-road clubs in the area? They'd love a good rescue opportunity, as long as you're buying the beer later.

If it's on Federal land, don't wait too long. Eventually they'll airlift it out and send you a bill for more than the truck cost.

hey, don't let this be an addition to the 2012 section of the interesting deaths thread.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Pics would help. If you can't get a tree anchor, look into a pull-pal. Also google how to use a handyman (hi-lift) as a winch.

www.expeditionportal.com has a good recovery forum. I would post there, www.ih8mud.com and www.pirate4x4.com. I'm betting someone will help you for a small fee.

If it were me, I would strap it to the frame (not the axle or any suspension parts) and an anchor as a safetry for when it breaks loose. Then, hopefully with a second anchor, winch the backend up the hill. Do not work downhill from the vehicle or anchor (always be to the side or above).

Another option is to block the tires and jack up the bad ones and get some rocks under until the point you are unstuck. This is pretty sketchy though and pretty tough without seeing what's going on.

If I were in the area, I would probably charge you gas and beer and go unstick you. Depending on the layout, I could probably put my pull-pal uphill from you with a snatch block and winch from a safe spot diagnal but still somewhat downhill.

Good luck and post pics...of the truck or of tahs-tahs. It's Friday man.

yeah pics

That was your truck? No need to bother it's been stripped already, they left your cd collection in the bare shell.

Straps and come-along don't mix as they stretch and come-alongs have limited travel, not to mention if the strap breaks you will make the other thread (odd deaths). Use chains, logging type. Post pictures. Bring a first -aid kit. Maybe look into a winch that hooks up to your trailer hitch and is powered by your trailer lights plug.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

chainsaw winch, anybody ever used one?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Got any jeep or off-road clubs in the area? They'd love a good rescue opportunity, as long as you're buying the beer later.

If it's on Federal land, don't wait too long. Eventually they'll airlift it out and send you a bill for more than the truck cost.
    This is the best advice, get help from people who have some experience with vehicle recovery. Every 4x4 guy I know would love to help out in these circumstances. Leaving it that long is a big no no too, this late in the game I would be shocked if it wasn't gutted and vandalized (at least around here). Also around the Forest Service will extricate it for you, if you left it in Park with the wheel locked they usually have no issues dragging it all the way down (watched this happen). Sometimes they will rally a local 4x4 club to help extricate as well.

Try making a post here, Toyota guys try to help out fellow Toyota guys usually. http://forum.ih8mud.com/mt-big-sky-cruisers/

If you want to die quick try the Hi-lift first

For some reason I am reminded of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIPNugeDwZo
    Last edited by kbahus; 10-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.

There are ways to use a hi-lift safely and there are ways not to. There's a reason every 4x4er on the planet carries some version of a hi-lift.

I would do this before a come-a-long: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html

http://www.offroadadventures.com/articles/view/id/347

But yeah, let someone who has already learned tough lessons help you so you don't have learn for yourself. 4x4 club to the rescue. Just be ready to buy everyone pizza and beers after the project.

I have a Hi-lift myself but I was implying that it wouldn't be a great idea for the op to go buy one and then try to excticate his possibly tippy stuck rig with it. They can be dangerous tools, even to the experienced user.

I have a Power Puller and it kicks ass, rigged up a short cable "sling" on it so I can multiple pulls without ever taking tension off the vehicle. Requires all of the usual winch safety protocol though, since the loads can be almost as high. And you have to operate it in line with the cable, whereas with a remote you can get to the side of a winch.

^^^ Absolutely, a Hi-Lift is dangerous, great tool but you gotta know what you're doing and even then watch your butt.

Get experienced guys on this, recovering a truck isn't worth risking your life.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post
    the hills outside of Two Medicine.
    That's on the Blackfoot rez.

No way is it intact now, it will be stripped clean by the time you get back there. (I once worked for a bit in Browning, I know the area well...)
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

next guy through gets your parts

2 answers are correct. If you want some help them jump on the local Ih8mud chapter and beg for help with the promise of massive amounts of beer. Those guys will get a kick out of recovering your poor rig. If you want to solo it then go to your local tractor supply and buy several tow straps (not recovery straps) and a come-a-long and then go find an appropriate tree to winch yourself off of.

In the future you should consider wheeling with a friend.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

How fast were you going/how bad is it high-sided? In mild cases sometimes a fat friend/multiple friends bouncing on the bumper will get the job done. And x2 for some pics....nearly impossible to really give any sort of reliable advice without them.

Since it's outside the park, you're on your own. Guess you called for a tow truck out of Browning?

Chain the rear to rock above, cable the front to a rig below and pull it around. Use a chain tightener to release the chain if it gets tensed. Otherwise, check in West Glacier for a tow truck before the GTTS road gets snowed in. Used to be a couple good outfits around West.

Sounds familiar, I got to hike 5 miles to the road last year after getting stuck. I"ll second or tenth or whatever were at the chain and come-along method find a good live tree uphill and anchor as low as you can. work slow and safe
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That's on the Blackfoot rez.

No way is it intact now, it will be stripped clean by the time you get back there. (I once worked for a bit in Browning, I know the area well...)
    This.

You better get that sucker out right quick. If I was over in the Flathead I'd be all over this. I love these kinds of stupid missions. Pics and good luck!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Holy shit. HOF potential here. Post pics and updates ASAP.