Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'll be getting the A7II

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm really psyched on my mirrorless setup (Fuji XT-1), and glad I took the leap. It definitely had some shortcomings in the AF capability for action photography, but the latest firmware update aims to address that. Early reports say it's on par with 6D, 70D; I've yet to test but am cautiously optimistic. Seems to me like these things keep getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjones0021 View Post
    Let your awesome camera do the talking, Lonnie. When's the last time you posted a photo you took? Seems like the Sony just makes you operate your mouth (well, keyboard).
    Ummm, today?
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Ummm, today?
    Aye that's a cracker

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Hum, seems like we might have a bot on our hands...
    Yup - spambot incoming. I'm going to try to find some adapters that work with the A7II to see if they will work with the EF and EFS Canon lenses. If the adapters don't work then I'll just suck it up - sell all the Canon gear and go with Sony native e-mount lenses. Metabones don't work with EF-S lenses so not going to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    I can't believe anyone still engages Lonnie in that idiotic conversation. When I want to use a toy camera, I bring the Holga.
    Bump. Ten years later, is it still an idiotic conversation??
    This is the worst pain EVER!

FWIW, I've had the Sony A6000 for a few years now and it's been an incredible value and small enough that I can either stuff it in the hip pocket of my touring pack (BIG nod to Thule for that design feature on their ski/hike packs) or in my jacket pocket. Small enough that I just end up having it with me WAY more often than when I had a Cannon T2i. And getting that camera refurbished with two totally serviceable lenses for $600-700 is a hard deal to beat.

The pics are not as sharp or deep as the ones I was getting when I got to play with all of TGR's full-frame stuff, but that required having a pack just for the camera gear that I would never have wanted to deal with if it wasn't for work. But for the 'gram and for fun, I'm completely content. Especially once I found Lightroom's Dehaze slider

Some ski pics for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Showerman Glades VT_Ryan Dunfee photo_-9.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	582.1 KB 
ID:	270488

Name:	Camels Hump_2.18.19_Ryan Dunfee photo_-5.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	816.6 KB 
ID:	270487

Name:	1.4.19_Teine and Otaru dinner-7.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	693.1 KB 
ID:	270489

Name:	1.9.19_Furano_3-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	270490

Name:	1.9.19_Furano Day 1_-10.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	471.6 KB 
ID:	270491
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yup - spambot incoming. I'm going to try to find some adapters that work with the A7II to see if they will work with the EF and EFS Canon lenses. If the adapters don't work then I'll just suck it up - sell all the Canon gear and go with Sony native e-mount lenses. Metabones don't work with EF-S lenses so not going to try that.
    The sigma adapter works to allow me to use my Canon lenses on my A73 but the AF isn't really acceptable for sports use. I'd suggest getting native lenses for anything other than landscape use.

+1 on the Sony Alpha series for the pocket-ability. The A6500 and A6300 are both weather sealed, but the A6000 is not. A good number of lenses are not as well, so take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The sigma adapter works to allow me to use my Canon lenses on my A73 but the AF isn't really acceptable for sports use. I'd suggest getting native lenses for anything other than landscape use.
    You think so? Granted, I've only taken pictures of my dogs running around in the backyard, but so far my Canon 70-200 f/4L IS works great with the Sigma MC-11 adapter on the A7iii. It seems *slightly* slower to acquire focus than the native Sony 24-70 f/4, but once it locks on, it seems to work quite well.

Name:	SonyTest-2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	694.1 KB 
ID:	271927

WTB: DSLR for ski touring (looking for suggestions/info)

Maybe there’s been a firmware update but have your dogs run straight at you and see how it does. I’d get the first frame or 2 in focus and then nothing after. I even saw the same with my wife walking slowly towards me in a well let room. Any of the native Sony lenses I did the same test with would have nearly every frame focused correctly.

I tested with canon 70-200 2.8 v2, 16-35 f4 and a 24-105 f4. Got similar results with all of those.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-28-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troyDHz View Post
    +1 on the Sony Alpha series for the pocket-ability. The A6500 and A6300 are both weather sealed, but the A6000 is not. A good number of lenses are not as well, so take that into consideration.
    Been abusing my A6000 for going on 3 years now. Whitewater kayaking, mountain biking, skiing, hiking in PNW elements Just hanging off my pack in a down matador case mostly too. Sweat, cold, hot, water, snow, rain, etc, etc. Might not be weather sealed but seems to be turning out ok.

Not the same category as a DSLR, but gosh the RX100 is a sweet little pocket camera. The latest one, mk vi, improves the buffer speed and zoom, which alleviates the issues I had with the earlier versions. Image quality to price for the RX100 VI isn't the best ... but I can’t fit my a6500 into my pocket so the RX100 is pretty awesome from that standpoint.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 03-02-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

smmokan, you have a chance to play around with the AF and moving targets anymore? If it's working well for you I'd like to know your firmware on the body and the adapter and I may give it a try again.

I haven't.... just getting back from Brevard today, but I didn't use any Canon lenses out here (only the Sony 24-70). I can tell you that the AF-C tracking on this thing is absolutely incredible. Holy balls.

I fully agree and can confirm that. Best AF that I've ever used.

The one thing I did notice is that the Lock-On tracking mode had problems acquiring the subject in the forest when I was shooting mountain biking in Brevard. It was basically unusable because of all the distractions (trees, bushes, etc).... but that's kind of expected given the situation. I was relegated to using the Flexible Spot focus, which works really damn well for tracking.

I'll be in St. George in a couple of weeks, and with the wide open nature of the terrain down there I think the Lock-On focus should work quite well.

smmokan, you have a chance to play around with the AF and moving targets anymore? If it's working well for you I'd like to know your firmware on the body and the adapter and I may give it a try again.

Following up here... I got the 70-200 f/4L IS out today to shoot a little in Hurricane... and I think it's pretty damn good. When I used the Lock-On Wide AF, it hunted a bit when there were a lot of bushes around, but it nailed focus on the shots that mattered. With regular Flexible Spot AF, it nailed focus when the rider was hauling ass right at me, virtually every shot in a sequence of 8-10. Here's an example from the middle of the sequence... probably won't look quite as clean since I'm just uploading it to TGR, but it's tack sharp.

Name:	ZenTrail-5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	275942
    Last edited by smmokan; 03-26-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Looks good to me. I’m in the area If you wanna get out for a ride. I’ll message ya.

One more, this was with Lock-On focus. It was tough acquiring the rider as he was a little out of view, but as soon as he came over the horizon the camera picked him up immediately. Shot with the Canon 70-200.

Has anyone made the recent jump from a FF DSLR to a Fuji mirrorless?

My D750 + 24-120 was stolen/disappeared last week while on vacation and I'm starting the insurance process for replacement. I've lugged various Nikon SLRs around for adventures over the last 20 years - for my own IQ satisfaction and TechTalk-type personal fulfillment (no website, no paid work, just a SSD full of files). With time and a bit of reflection I've realized my lifestyle and reality for using a camera seems to lean towards a Fuji XT-2 setup - cheaper, lighter, smaller with weather resistance and good IQ.

I'm not interested in a smaller DSLR and wouldn't put the money towards a Z6 setup; Fuji is my only consideration for now, besides just getting another D750. The D750 + 24-120 is 1500g all-in. The XT-2 + 18-135 would be 1000g. Curious for anyone's experience.

Looks good to me. I’m in the area If you wanna get out for a ride. I’ll message ya.
    Quick update.... I noticed last night when shooting with the Canon 70-200 that it definitely struggles to find focus when it's zoomed all the way out to 200mm. I'm not sure why, but I read a couple comments on FM saying the same thing. However if I pulled back just a little bit, it locked focus immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Has anyone made the recent jump from a FF DSLR to a Fuji mirrorless?

My D750 + 24-120 was stolen/disappeared last week while on vacation and I'm starting the insurance process for replacement. I've lugged various Nikon SLRs around for adventures over the last 20 years - for my own IQ satisfaction and TechTalk-type personal fulfillment (no website, no paid work, just a SSD full of files). With time and a bit of reflection I've realized my lifestyle and reality for using a camera seems to lean towards a Fuji XT-2 setup - cheaper, lighter, smaller with weather resistance and good IQ.

I'm not interested in a smaller DSLR and wouldn't put the money towards a Z6 setup; Fuji is my only consideration for now, besides just getting another D750. The D750 + 24-120 is 1500g all-in. The XT-2 + 18-135 would be 1000g. Curious for anyone's experience.
    I've been rocking a Canon 6D for a while... and have 'sort of' made the switch to a M50 (canon mirrorless). It's significantly smaller, so big days in the mountain, I bring the small camera.

The one annoying thing is that the viewfinder blacks-out a lot more when burst shooting. Since it's trying to show me a preview of the photo after I've taken it. If I continuously burst it's fine, but if I burst like 3 shots, then wait a 1/2 second, then goto burst again, I'm basically shooting blind.

I guess I could turn off image preview... maybe just user error. Other than that, it's been awesome.

Mirrorless:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu9QPWilHeQ/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu0fzsCls-H/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6bNSQlbFO/

Kalisto- the viewfinder blackout happens on all mirrorless cameras, not just yours. And it's not because the image preview is on. The only mirrorless camera (that I know of) that avoids that is the Sony A9.

Oh, and this is a great shot. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6bNSQlbFO/