Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    191 should be slarvier compared to the 187s

auv, I haven't mounted them yet and that's why I didn't bring them on my trip. I'm assuming they will handle icy/hard pack conditions better than my 191 fats but still slay the pow

Ok, I need to mount up my 191 Full Carbon Fat's..

Option 1: I have some 2 week used Look P18's - Silver ones - only negative I have to take them out in my luggage.

Option 2: Mount some new FKS180's... but they are that mad Orange colour..

I'll always find another ski to use the Look ones on so that's not an issue.

Orange on these black and white beasts?!

ps.. it needs to dump as well to use them !

^^^^^^^^^Put the Orange on, plus the fats are new and deserve new clamps. The orange looks good (I have black with some orange on mine)
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by IvanLipko View Post
    191 should be slarvier compared to the 187s
    True dat. The trad sidecut on the 187 Fats will rail ice if you put the hand tune to them, but the slarve advantage will go the 191 Fats by virtue of the lessened tail. If you want to know how the 187s slay pow, just ask powdork. He tested them all last season and preferred them to the 191 Lhasa regular for pow.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^Put the Orange on, plus the fats are new and deserve new clamps. The orange looks good (I have black with some orange on mine)
    +1. I have the orange on mine (with inserts), and they look fantastic. Can post pics if you want.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    +1. I have the orange on mine (with inserts), and they look fantastic. Can post pics if you want.

Great, if you could that would help! If you could also order 90 inches in two weeks so they can be usd that would help !

Okay, I'll try to get pics up in the next few days. Just realized that they're mounted now for Plum heels with wood screws (adapter plate for the toe), so I'll need to install inserts in the heels and then swap in the FKS. But trust me, I wanted the black FKS originally and could only find the orange, but now I'm really happy with the orange.

Can't help too much with the snow tho, dude. I can say that they seem to do pretty well regardless of how much new snow there's been.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just wanted to drop a note in here that we've gotten enough requests for 191 Fat Lhasas to do one more run of them for this season, which we are pressing out as I type. Some people have asked for softer versions of both the hybrid and the all carbon and we are pressing some for those who have requested softer versions. We'll be done pressing them Monday afternoon. If anyone wants a softer pair of either, please let me know now and we can squeeze you in.

Hmm....almost wished I would have waited for that new carbon cloth.

Can't imagine being more stoked on the skis. If anyone else is interested in flex, mine seem to have softened up after a few days on them. This is just going by a hand flex - they ski the same. Hope to get some stoke injected into this thread by the end of the weekend...

photos

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Just wanted to drop a note in here that we've gotten enough requests for 191 Fat Lhasas to do one more run of them for this season, which we are pressing out as I type. Some people have asked for softer versions of both the hybrid and the all carbon and we are pressing some for those who have requested softer versions. We'll be done pressing them Monday afternoon. If anyone wants a softer pair of either, please let me know now and we can squeeze you in.
    Sending PM

Here's the softer version of the 191 Lhasa Fat All Carbon being layed up.
    Prolly the first carbon fiber layup ever depicted on the interwebz.
    Four layers of carbon fiber in every ski.

Below are the flex profiles that matter. Tip, body and overall, starting with just the tip.
    We dragged this wino out of a biker bar down on 4th street to demonstrate...
    The tip will bend when it needs to. That's a pretty firm flex the wino is putting to the tip.

The body flex. This is the flex underfoot, the flex you feel when you ski.
    It's firm, but not I beam stiff.

This is the overall flex, tip to tail. It's a deceptive flex because it makes the ski look soft, but it's not. Having promised
    the wino a shot of Jim Beam if he can break the ski, it's an indication of how far it can go and return to shape.

It's really hard to catch a good shot of the carbon weave under the topsheets (we added some blue to the graphic on the 191) and this shot is kinda weird, but it shows the carbon finish before it actually gets finished.

Here's the comparo shots of the 45/45 bias used on the all carbons and the 0/90 twill used on the hybrids.

Splat-In some of the pics the carbon looks like a looser weave, as opposed to a more defined pattern like on whyturns on the previous page. Photo or is there a difference?

Can you elaborate on the cf/f vs all carbon-I like the damped but light feel of the blend
    (ain't calling it hybrid cause I know it's not a stringer). Are you doing the all carbon for weight or are they the softer
    version?

PSA-for those of you waiting because of the snow, don't. It's coming and you will want these later. I got out last year on the first pair and they are killer. Still more than manageable on groomers, didn't really feel much different than my 191s, but you could feel the float when in soft.
    Last edited by otto parts; 01-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

That's not the same carbon that is on whyturns skis. (I thought you meant Patches's skis...late night last night, pressed until 1 am, then went and played with Pokey the Edgemasters band at a biker bar til 4 am fuckers were riding harleys in the bar). whyturn's skis (hybrids) have the diagonal looking cf you see in the underlayer in the layup photo. The cf in that last pic is the 45/45 carbon that is the super aerospace cf we got a limited supply of. It's not even commercially available. In the hybrids, the triaxial fiberglass supplies the diagonal (torsional) strength. We put the 45/45 cf in the all carbon skis in combination with 0/90 cf, so the skis have strength in the 0/90 and 45/45 axes, making the cf quadraxial. The aerospace cf will look different every time you look at it. For fly fishing guys, this carbon is an advanced version of the IM 7 carbon used on lightweight fly rods.

The hybrids feel a touch stiffer. I'll flex again today. We worked late last night, then hit the bar, so it's all a haze this morning. I'll get some flexes on the hybrids today for a comparison. I'll have pairs of both when I see you next weekend, otto parts. That overall flex looks soft (note the grimace of exertion on the wino's face - he's going for it), but the flex to go by is that body flex of the skis along the effective edge, which didn't bend much but, combined with the tip flex, indicates how much give the tip has when it's time to flex for float. Like I said, the way the tip flex influences the overall flex makes the ski look deceptively softer than it is. Maybe I could get Patches or auvgeek to flex their skis the same way to demonstrate a comparison with the stiffer all carbons we have done.

We finish pressing for the season today when we do some trippy new 183 Fats in hybrid and all carbon.

It can snow now.

I'm not very good at flexing skis, but hopefully this will show what you mean. I'm yardin' on it pretty good:

For comparison, here I am flexing a Head Monster 103 in 193cm. Flexed about the same as my 191 Fats, but the 191 Fats have a softer tip. The pics aren't similar enough, I asked my wife to take another but she pointed out that it was cold and windy and although she'd be happy to stand outside and take more pictures, if she were to do so I would be sleeping on the couch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191_fat_stiff.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	107896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-15_16-28-24_502.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	107897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster-103.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	107898  
    Last edited by Patches; 01-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks, Patches.
    The bottom and top pics show the flex dif between the all carbon stiff version and the all carbon softs.
    The hybrid flex falls in between the two flexes shown here and has been added as the middle pic.
    I prefer flexing a ski as hard and far as possible.

stiff all carbon

standard hybrid

soft all carbon

We finished our season's pressing with the 183 Fat hybrids and did some in all carbon as well.
    Keith and I swapped some different colored base material last week and I was kinda
    excited about throwing this blue base on the 83s to go with the blue on the graphic.

I thought this shot illustrated the two main cf weaves we're using for otto parts to see the dif.
    The diagonal lined twill is actually a 0/90 fabric, meaning the cf threads (or bundles, as they're called) run the length of and across the skis.
    The trippy looking 45/45 bias, as it's called, runs at 45 degree angles for torsional, as well as an accompanying longitudinal stiffness by default.

These directional weaves working together provide strength on 4 axes.
    In the hybrids with the twill, triaxial glass provides the 45/45 torsional stiffness, as well as some longitudinally.

Have a pair of 191 Fats on the way as of a couple of minutes ago, super stoked on them. I'll be sure to get some pics and a review up once they arrive. Looking so damn sexy...

Review of full carbon Fats coming next Sunday from Jackson... cant wait..

Here's a shitty raw video taken yesterday touring up at Yodelin, near Stevens Pass, WA. Show was like 15" of new on a hard crust. Avy conditions were high, so we stuck to mellow trees and tried to stay within sight of each other.

3 runs were spliced together with youtube's stupid video editor, which limits you to 15 minutes total and you can only crop the beginning or end of a video, not the middle. So I'd like to take the middle of some of the videos out to get a more dynamic feel. We took more laps, but you can only put 15 min of video together at a time. Please just skip the boring parts and move on to the skiing. First video I've ever shot, so the angle needs to be adjusted.

Skis were all-carbon "stiff" 191 Fats. Me: 5'11", 165#. No longer worried about tree skiing on them. Last ski was 179 Seth Vicious and I have taken the last few years off due to injuries = I'm still working on getting my weight forward in pow. Video wouldn't normally be worth posting, but maybe some of you want to see how easy even the "stiff" version is to ski.

EDIT: See a little better edit below.

Will try to get some better video up soon! Can't wait to take these babies into some open terrain and really get 'em up to speed. I'm so stoked on these, I haven't even mounted my new 190 112RP. Thinking now I might just sell them...
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-16-2012 at 11:49 PM.

photos

Just skied the 191 Fats for the first time this weekend here in Maine. 6' 2", 220 lbs, fairly aggressive, advanced, but certainly not an expert. Mounted the 191's with Dukes. Wow- could not stop smiling the whole weekend. Most fun ski I have ever skied in my life. I had been worried about breaking these out here on the east coast because the conditions haven't been great- minimal snow, ice, crud, etc. I can't tell you how jacked-up i am to own these skis. I was originally planning to use these only on powder days! Forget that shit- these will now be my every day skis no matter the conditions. My Line Prophet 100's that I loved- until this weekend- are being put away. I skied hard pack, ice, crusty snow on top of powder, terrain park, and they just blew me away. Turn so quickly and effortlessly for a big fat ski. Incredibly stable at speed. Like knives running through the crusty snow. Almost too funny how well they handle the ice- better than my Prophet 100's which I couldn't believe. Snow conditions were ok, but not great- was hoping to run these through a nice mogul field to see how they handle, but conditions didn't permit it on this trip. I can't express how much fun I had on these skis. These feel so perfect for my size, weight, style, etc. Totally stoked to actually try them on deep powder if it ever snows this year- jeez. Heading to CO in UT in Feb and Mar- will add some add'l comments after those trips. Thanks to Pat and crew- FNK-Amazing skis.

Mini review of 191s skiied in the conditions they are least suited for, icy groomers.

I have a confession to make. I've not been skiing my Lhasa 191 Fats. I have them inserted for Dynafit and turntables, and skiied on them a couple times with dynafits+cochises. No snow in the Sierra this year, so these were just one or two laps of skinning up and skiing down before the resort opened... on intermediate man-made snow ribbons. They were fun - but groomers are fun and easy, so I figured the 191s were soft snow only skis. I mean, why take a 117 waisted ski out on a semi-icy groomer when you have a rack full of metals skis to ride? Plus, I didn't have bindings with big enough brakes. If I was super-motivated I would have swapped from one ski to another, but I didn't, because I like heavy and damp skis for groomers, and the 191s are neither.

The 191s look like the perfect soft-snow ski to me, but all-carbon for a groomer ski? Not all that interested. I love carbon in untracked, its like you can feel every little crystal of snow you ski through - truly dreamy. On groomers and firm though, the DPS and Trabs I've been on haven't been that fun. I like the pop and rebound, but don't like to feel all the chattering - none of them are really that pleasant. I'd rather just nuke through it on a damp ski.

On days when I rode the lifts, I was taking my Head Monster 103s, which are metal skis- heavy and stiff and damp and fast, like strapping your feet to cruise missiles. They are super fun, and entirely appropriate for groomer-only days.

Well, the pivots I bought on Gear Swap arrived, so I mounted them up. On the way out of the house this morning, I said- screw it, lets take the 191s out and see how they do. I figured they would be fine, but not as fun as the Monsters, so I took those too.

Well, I learned two things today.

1) Cochises plus dynafits are grossly inferior to alpine boots plus alpine binders. The 191s felt fun but not THAT fun with those boots, but with the alpine boots I learned that:

2) This is the best goddamn ski ever made and there really isn't a reason to have a quiver for inbounds skiing. This hurts me, I just counted and I have 15 pairs of skis in my front hall I don't need any more.

On groomers, these ski better than the DPS Wailer 105s and 120s making any size turn, and they feel great doing it. You can actually carve trenches on them, and they feather and slide nicely when you want them to. I'm not surprised that they ski better than the 120s, which have way too much tip, but I thought the narrower Wailers would be better. Wrong. They are more fun than my GS race skis, and more fun than my 183 Monsters.

The only reason I would ski anything else inbounds would be for park (need my twins). And I'll probably keep my 193 Monsters for days when I want to have to work hard to turn.

But that's it. I'm heading to Japan in a couple weeks and see no reason to take a second pair of skis.

I'm not sure why they are so good. There's something just exactly right about them, they feel great underfoot, unlike any carbon or glass ski I've been on. Livelier than metal, but none of the shitty feedback I associate with DPS and Trab skis on firm snow. They do ski short for a 191 and are plenty easy to turn - but I normally associate skis that are easy to turn with skis that feel unstable at speed, but these don't. They just settle down and dig in and you can pull as many Gs as you want.

Still haven't skied them in powder but I am 100% sure they will kill it. I liked my DPS Lotus 120s in pow, but felt like they got hooky and weird at speed. Too soft with too much tip. The 191s are pretty similar shapes (looking down from above) but are stiffer and have less tip, which should make them perfect. Anyway, I'm blown away that they ski this great on conditions they are not suited for (or so I thought).

As I said before, except for park or wanting to mix it up I can't see the need to ski anything else if lift served. I actually thought these were awesome skis for BC and would be nice at the resort, but couldn't see Splat selling very many of them- you're paying a bunch for carbon to make them light- but I like HEAVY skis, or thought I did. Maybe its the torsional stiffness the 45/45 weave provides?

For BC I'm still a weight weenie. I like to take the lightest ski I can have fun on the way down with - unless my partners are slow, then I go big. The 191s will be my go to winter ski, but in the spring I'll use something smaller. I'm tossing my resort quiver but I'll be keeping my Trab World Cups and Duo Sint Aeros, and probably the DPS Wailer 105s. I don't know though. If there is enough snow to justify taking the Wailers its probably worth moving an extra couple of ounces up the hill so you could descend on the 191s...

Well enough jibber jabber till I get them out in pow. I don't know what kind of elfin magic Splat put in these things but they are unbelievable. Having a ski this fat and light be so much fun on groomers is like buying a Ferrari for track days and finding out its super cushy for long road trips.
    Last edited by Patches; 01-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Oh yes... you need to ski these with a forward stance. If you get in the back seat they don't ski that great. I think they are easy to turn, but you have to be forward. Which is to say - intermediate skiers, stay away, there are better skis for you.

And: me 5'10", 170 lb, not very athletic and only skiing 7 years seriously but averaging 100-150s days/year during that time, and many lessons have been taken.

Goddamn, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I haven't skied a whole bunch of other skis, but now I don't think I need to.

Great review, Patches. Can't imagine using my K2 Hardsides anymore except for early season and spring when I don't want to screw up the Fats.

photos

Okay, hope this edit is a little better. Can't do much to improve the skiing, but at least I cut down on the non-skiing time.

Point is these things are damn easy to ski. Thanks again, splat, for making the best ski I've ever been on. Couldn't be more stoked.

photos

Thanks, Zach. Patches - have fun in Japan! You will now . Can't say I don't love the props but gotta say how cool it is to have the ski I spent most of last season on out there for other people to ski. I skied the 91 Fat on the patches in the Sierra until mid-August when someone bought the last pair off my feet. What I didn't realize then was how cool the carbon fiber and hybrid versions would be once we added some of the world's most awesome carbon fiber to them.

This last batch of 91 Fats was kind of fun to press cause we mixed it up and put the 45/45 on the hybrids and softened them up a bit for peeps who like a little flex. Also dug doing the 183 Fats in all carbon because these two skis are every-day-of-the-year-one-ski-quivers that will float pow and carve ice while adding AT lightweight touring ability into the mix. Can't wait to mount another pair for myself!

A lot of people have told me the Lhasa shape has been around for a while and I should move into the short sidecut/flat cut rockered tip/tail arena to keep up with the progression in shapes. I just kinda shake my head because I feel the Lhasa shapes have yet to be dialed in for perfection in the one ski quiver arena. I thought the 191 would be the ultimate iteration of the Lhasa but I was wrong. To date, the 191 Fat is indeed what I've been shooting for. To have access to the carbon fiber I can get has been the feather in this ski's cap. No, there is not a button you can press so it does everything for you. No, it is not for people with no grip on technique or form. The world is full of those skis. It's a hard chargin mofo for the guys who know what a real ski should be able to do in every fukking condition the mountain can deal. It's made to ski 60 mph and huck 60 ft hucks all day long. But it will also ski easily at casual speeds like a ski should, in any conditions, ice to crap to groomer to deep pow. I'd rather be known for building a few of these skis than be known for building a million inferior skis to make a buck selling crap.