Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help choosing heli op... Silverton or....?

So my buddy turned 50 and his wife said 'Go heliskiing!' and asked if I would go because I am the ski buddy. Sorry no pics of her.
    We live in New England and I just said Silverton because I have been there before (but never taken the helibump).
    Where else should I look? This would be like a 4 day trip and just wondering what other places might be less of a trip from a major airport?
    Also I am paying for myself so nothing too extravagant. In fact at Silverton I would do like 1 heli day and the rest normal guided booting. I am not a dentist and neither is my buddy. Think Silverton budget and terrain are perfect, but I would like to see something new and not drive 7 hours from Denver or connect to Durango. I am wondering about driving given the COVID.

I've seen the powderbird at snowbird but is that even good? Any other places to consider?

Thanks and happy trails!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Ruby Mountain in NV.

Sun Valley Heli Ski.

are 2 other options.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wait a year and go somewhere in BC. Eagle Pass Heli (Revelstoke) and Stellar Heli or Snowwater (Nelson/Kaslo) offer single day and weekend length packages.

Not sure this would be the year to prebook a heli ski trip.

I’ve heli skied with Aaron at Silverton and we had a great time. Good terrain, good conditions and a good guide.
    But if you’re skiing when the lift is open. They have a huge incentive to stuff in as many one run Randys, in between your lifts, as possible.

I’m only going back, if we fill up a private ship, at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I am wondering about driving given the COVID.
    You're worried about driving with your buddy, but not worried about being in a heli with a bunch of strangers?

One of the more expensive ways I can think of to get the covid.

EDIT: Wonder if they'll even be running their heli op this season - seems dicey.

I am wondering about driving instead of flying.

And if you are masked and in a heli for less than 10 minutes the risk is very low, according to the medical officer (MD) at work.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    You're worried about driving with your buddy, but not worried about being in a heli with a bunch of strangers?

One of the more expensive ways I can think of to get the covid.
    Last edited by jhyatt; 09-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Wait a year and go somewhere in BC.
    This.

I hear you on that. They say they are doing heli 7 days/week so I would try to go Mon Tues Weds when lift is not spinning. Or Weds and then do guided Thurs Fri.
    Wish I had the people to fill a bird or even a guided day. One kook can change your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Not sure this would be the year to prebook a heli ski trip.

I’ve heli skied with Aaron at Silverton and we had a great time. Good terrain, good conditions and a good guide.
    But if you’re skiing when the lift is open. They have a huge incentive to stuff in as many one run Randys, in between your lifts, as possible.

I’m only going back, if we fill up a private ship, at the last minute.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Ruby’s have always interested me. Think there is an operation out of Schweitzer so southern Selkirk option in USA

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

friends from Juneau

http://alaskapowder.com

Custom heli, touring, and ski area experience. You can also go whale watching, surfing, fishing...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Silverton heli gets really good at 3+ drops; that’s when they get you out of Velocity Basin to adjacent zones.

I’d be nervous about prebooking, but if you want a full day in the bird , your options are limited .

Ruby heli always looked sick too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I read your whole link, then sent it to my brother and said we gotta start our annual tradition sooner or later. Bucket list

North Cascades Heli Skiing out of Winthrop, Wa. Do one full heli day and the book a guided stay at their heli access yurt.

Ruby Mtn or Sun valley in that order. Silverton will never let you down.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    So my buddy turned 50 and his wife said 'Go heliskiing!' and asked if I would go because I am the ski buddy. Sorry no pics of her.
    We live in New England and I just said Silverton because I have been there before (but never taken the helibump).
    Where else should I look? This would be like a 4 day trip and just wondering what other places might be less of a trip from a major airport?
    Also I am paying for myself so nothing too extravagant. In fact at Silverton I would do like 1 heli day and the rest normal guided booting. I am not a dentist and neither is my buddy. Think Silverton budget and terrain are perfect, but I would like to see something new and not drive 7 hours from Denver or connect to Durango. I am wondering about driving given the COVID.

I've seen the powderbird at snowbird but is that even good? Any other places to consider?

Thanks and happy trails!
    The Silverton all day heli is a blast; the new terrain has some killer lines.

If you decide to do Silverton, consider flying to Albuquerque.

It's a 6+ hour drive, a lot easier than dealing with I-70 and the passes, Coal bank and Molas, are the same as flying into Durango. Rental cars are cheaper in ABQ than Denver or DRO.

If there's a storm, hit Taos on the way and Wolf Creek is also on the way and Telluride is close.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    North Cascades Heli Skiing out of Winthrop, Wa. Do one full heli day and the book a guided stay at their heli access yurt.
    2nd the recommendation. NCH are good people.

Although the OP doesn't mention that they tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Wait a year and go somewhere in BC. Eagle Pass Heli (Revelstoke) and Stellar Heli or Snowwater (Nelson/Kaslo) offer single day and weekend length packages.
    This. I would wait a year and fly with Eaglepass. Or watch the border and book, of border opens.

wait a year, so many options in canada,

I have skied with a lot of operators, over a lot of years, and this was a great option.
    https://www.neheliskiing.com/

easy flight, no transfer from airport to heli/lodge
    CND funds = damm cheap for US people.
    amazing safety equipment
    ski zone is fricking huge, with a full cat ski as backup for no fly days.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    2nd the recommendation. NCH are good people.

Although the OP doesn't mention that they tour.
    Well don't ask freeskiguide (freeskiguy?) about that, heh.

I feel like NCH is probably the closest to heli ops in Canada in terms of terrain and snow.

I wouldn't bother with cat or heli out of Schweitzer. The terrain isn't all that big. Don't think it's worth the $$$

Last day for FREE heli run or FREE guided day....Buy 3 guided days and get a FREE heli run or guided day your choice. The word free isn't often associated with Heli! Click"Guided" tab on reservations page to sign up.

https://silvertonmountain.com/shop/lift-tickets/

You should know that these options are in continental climate zones. So avalanche conditions will be dangerous.
    That doesn't mean you will not shy, it will mean that you'll be skiing low angle terrain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You should know that these options are in continental climate zones. So avalanche conditions will be dangerous.
    That doesn't mean you will not shy, it will mean that you'll be skiing low angle terrain.

The north cascades are continental?

Who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Silverton throws bombs to keep out the ski tourers.
    off your knees Louie

With all du respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about.